As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Primeval -- "Proof that the past exists."

AroducAroduc regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Anomalies have begun to appear around London. Temporary holes in space and time connecting past, present, and future. Through them come prehistoric dinosaurs, deadly deadly parasites, crazy medieval knights, and highly evolved predators from the future. The British government retained the scientists who first discovered them and created ARC (Anomaly Research Center) to research and contain any threats that pass through the anomalies, but at the center of the mystery is Helen Cutter, the presumed-dead wife of one of the scientists who has known about the anomalies for years and has mastered how to predict and use them for her own ends even while ARC fights against both her and just about everything that comes through them.

maing.jpg

Primeval is a British sci-fi action series that is ending its third season tonight (on British TV, still a couple weeks for the US to catch up). Basically, it's a lot of scientists and British SWAT guys fighting dinosaurs and other sort of quasi-made up creatures that could maybe have been in the past. And prancing around in their underwear. So it's pretty much Torchwood, only without the sex or the sucking. Even RTD agrees that "Primeval's lack of ethnic casting is shameful, but apart from that, I think it's excellent." Too many honkies apparently.

It's certainly not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'm finding it really fun popcorn sci-fi. I'm playing catch-up right now after getting intrigued by the early season 3 episodes BBC America was running and just finished season 1.

Go go teen dinosquad!

primeval.jpg

Let us discuss the show and/or Abby's inability to keep her pants on.

Aroduc on

• Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is this like Fringe in the UK?

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've only seen the first couple of episodes of the first season, and I don't like Doctor Who but...

I'd say its Doctor Who with dinosaurs and without the history and fanbase insisting that its actually really good and totally not just a saturday night family program. Very much aimed at the same niche as Robin Hood, Doctor Who and Merlin with a few concessions to younger family members as well (though this is just going off the first couple of episodes of the first season where they seemed to be so desperately ticking the family television boxes that they added a baby-dragon type thing in act as a troublesome pet/Snarf/Orko/R2D2 equivalent).

The tone appears to have changed a bit going of the more recent comercials towards being more actiony but that may well just be comercials for you.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Well, I'm willing to give it a fair trial.

Echo on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've watched parts of the show but I've never been able to sit through an entire episode - something about it just doesn't quite work for me, but dammed if I can isolate what it is about it.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For some reason, I thought this show as a documentary about dinosaurs. I might give it a shot.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    For some reason, I thought this show as a documentary about dinosaurs. I might give it a shot.

It uses the same dinosaurs as Walking with Dinosaurs, and was on just after 'Prehistoric Park', that had used the idea of going through time portals to collect dinosaurs in order to populate a nature reserve to explain how the dinosaurs where being filmed. Though they were made by the same studio, Walking with Dinosaurs was BBC, and Prehistoric Park went on ITV a week before Primeval (or at least whilst Primeval was being advertised).

I assumed the two were linked to start off with as well, and whilst they aren't - wikipedia tells me that the presenter of Prehistoric Park, does have a cameo on Primeval.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's OK, but like Kalkino, I have a hard time getting through an entire episode.

Fun show, usually will DVR the newest (for US), cast seems to be having a good time. Might be the way BBCA mauls it to get commercials in, but the editing/cuts seem really jarring most of the time.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    AibynAibyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there a way to watch the first season of Primeval? Like via Hulu type thing? Free and legal is nice. If not no worries.

Aibyn on
    "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..."

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)
    11737_c4020a74dc025a53.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Primeval is hilariously bad. Not as good as Fringe, but decent entertainment if you've got time to kill and nothing else to do.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I find it more enjoyable than Torchwood, but I could say that about lots of things, like losing a limb in a tragic accident.

The effects make the show, and I find them surprisingly effective, apart from the fact that their animation team doesn't treat any of their animals like real animals; instead all of the creatures move like cartoon characters, which I just can't get past. I'm willing to make a few sacrifices in quality if there is good dinosaur action, though, so I'll watch this occasionally. Plus, there's an episode entirely about a flock of dodos, so it has that going for it.

I will say that every episode that features animals from the future tends to get me saying "well now they're just missing the point of their own damn show."

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I've only seen the first couple of episodes of the first season, and I don't like Doctor Who but...

I'd say its Doctor Who with dinosaurs and without the history and fanbase insisting that its actually really good and totally not just a saturday night family program. Very much aimed at the same niche as Robin Hood, Doctor Who and Merlin with a few concessions to younger family members as well (though this is just going off the first couple of episodes of the first season where they seemed to be so desperately ticking the family television boxes that they added a baby-dragon type thing in act as a troublesome pet/Snarf/Orko/R2D2 equivalent).

The tone appears to have changed a bit going of the more recent comercials towards being more actiony but that may well just be comercials for you.

Well...
    They killed off one of the comic relief side characters thanks to dodo parasites by episode four, and between the last episode of season 2 and the end of season 3, killed off half the rest of the central cast, so I'm not really sure it can be called overly kid friendly anymore.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've only seen a few episodes, and need to see more. It's fucking dinosaurs and shit, I'll watch that any day.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I watched this show a few weeks ago and could not decide whether it was awesome or utterly terrible. The plot is so retarded but dinosaurs and monsters are pretty rad.

Rotam on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Been watching this on BBCA. Originally DVR'd the first two seasons since they showed them one after the other originally, then watched them all over the course of a week or so. It's pretty decent. It's better than most summer programming even if it does seem a bit silly at times.

I guess the first few episodes might have seemed kid or family friendly, but the show definitely does not feel like that now.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, this is Doctor Who but with Hannah from Sclub and Dinosaurs rather than everything else. It's awful, but it may well occupy the "so bad it's good" region. The jury is out.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wish more American shows would have actual changes on their shows like this one does. There may be more shows from other countries that aren't afraid to take risks (if so, please recommend), but if this show were American then MASSIVE SPOILER FROM SEASON 3 BELOW
    Cutter would not have died and been back by the end of the very next episode.

I think that's what drew me to the most recent iteration of Robin Hood as well. Things happen and there's no reset button at the end of the episode or season.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
    Comparing to US TV... I like that they actually put some time and effort into the special effects, even if the CG's sometimes not the best. Although it is funny to watch the real scenery occasionally go flying not-quite-synced with the CG movement. But still, compared to 24, Heroes, or Lost, they're busting the budget every episode.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    I wish more American shows would have actual changes on their shows like this one does. There may be more shows from other countries that aren't afraid to take risks (if so, please recommend), but if this show were American then MASSIVE SPOILER FROM SEASON 3 BELOW

I think that's what drew me to the most recent iteration of Robin Hood as well. Things happen and there's no reset button at the end of the episode or season.
    Joss Whedon has shown us that he has no qualms with killing people off permanently.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Joss Whedon has shown us that he has no qualms with killing people off permanently.
    But has it ever been the MAIN character and been permanent? Killing Buffy and then bringing her back doesn't count, because she didn't stay dead.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's a little odd thing i've noticed between US tv shows and British tv shows. UK shows don't shy away from killing off main characters anywhere near as much as US tv. For example, Star Trek or Stargate.. the only times they killed off characters is because of pay disputes.

Another show where they're probably a bit too eager to kill off members of the cast is Spooks by this point they've gone through the entirety of MI5 in deaths of officers.

I've watched a few episodes of Primeval, it's alright.. I'd say it seemed aimed for kid/teenager area focused than say Doctor Who. And say whatever you like about Doctor Who but some of the writing on it is superb. (although sometimes the stories aren't the best)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But has it ever been the MAIN character and been permanent? Killing Buffy and then bringing her back doesn't count, because she didn't stay dead.
    Buffy, Angel and Firefly/Serenity spoilers ahead...
    There have been a number of times where a principle character has been killed off permanently in Whedon's shows. In Buffy, Willow's girlfriend Tara was shot and killed stone dead near the end of season six - in the same episode Amber Benson (the actor who plays her) was added to the show's opening credits. She'd already been a regular in the show for two years - Whedon deliberately didn't add her to the opening titles until that episode because he wanted to pull the rug out from under his viewers. Similarly Anya, Xander's on-again-off-again girlfriend and a regular on the show since season four, was killed in the show's finale, and Buffy's own mother died in season five after having been a recurring character in the show during that time.

Angel killed off four of its principle characters during its run. Doyle, who was introduced in the first episode, died about two-thirds into the first season. Cordelia went into a coma in the show's fourth season and died in the fifth. Fred's body was taken over by the Goddess Illyria, her soul destroyed in the process, and Wesley was killed in the show's final episode.

(Admittedly Fred and Wesley probably don't count as in the canonical Angel: After the Fall comic series set after the show's end, Illyria begins shifting between her own form and Fred's - although whether or not this is actually Fred or just Illyria taking her form is up for debate - and Wesley returns as a ghost.

Although additional deaths occurs in the comic - Charles Gunn, a regular in the show since the second season, has been turned into a vampire between the end of the show and the start of the comic, and Connor, Angel's son, is killed dead.)

In Serenity, Wash is killed about three quarters of the way into the movie, after having been a principle for most of the film and the entire TV series. The same is true of Preacher, who is a principle in Firefly but is found dead about two thirds into the film.

I haven't watched enough Dollhouse to be able to say whether anyone in that show has been killed off permanently.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2009
    Buffy, Angel and Firefly/Serenity spoilers ahead...
    There have been a number of times where a principle character has been killed off permanently in Whedon's shows. In Buffy, Willow's girlfriend Tara was shot and killed stone dead near the end of season six - in the same episode Amber Benson (the actor who plays her) was added to the show's opening credits. She'd already been a regular in the show for two years - Whedon deliberately didn't add her to the opening titles until that episode because he wanted to pull the rug out from under his viewers. Similarly Anya, Xander's on-again-off-again girlfriend and a regular on the show since season four, was killed in the show's finale, and Buffy's own mother died in season five after having been a recurring character in the show during that time.

Angel killed off four of its principle characters during its run. Doyle, who was introduced in the first episode, died about two-thirds into the first season. Cordelia went into a coma in the show's fourth season and died in the fifth. Fred's body was taken over by the Goddess Illyria, her soul destroyed in the process, and Wesley was killed in the show's final episode.

(Admittedly Fred and Wesley probably don't count as in the canonical Angel: After the Fall comic series set after the show's end, Illyria begins shifting between her own form and Fred's - although whether or not this is actually Fred or just Illyria taking her form is up for debate - and Wesley returns as a ghost.

Although additional deaths occurs in the comic - Charles Gunn, a regular in the show since the second season, has been turned into a vampire between the end of the show and the start of the comic, and Connor, Angel's son, is killed dead.)

In Serenity, Wash is killed about three quarters of the way into the movie, after having been a principle for most of the film and the entire TV series. The same is true of Preacher, who is a principle in Firefly but is found dead about two thirds into the film.

I haven't watched enough Dollhouse to be able to say whether anyone in that show has been killed off permanently.

Hooey. Four whole characters over 120 episodes?

By the end of the 23rd episode of this...
    They've killed off all but 3 of the original 7 core characters (so not going to get into the Claudia/Jenny timeline thing) which includes all of the big three from the first two seasons, all three of the main baddies, and a number of the recurring tertiary characters that were in a relatively large number of episodes.

It's all well and good that Whedon's not opposed to it, but honestly here.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure shows should be judged according to how many main characters they've killed in a short period of time. The fact that they're willing to shake things up like that at all is enough for me. Some storylines just aren't improved by the number of main characters who die, and they certainly aren't improved just by their death count. Hell, I'm sure that after a point it just ceases to be surprising and starts killing the story arc itself.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Fringe

"OH HEY. LET'S RIP OFF DELTA GREEN AND 拉麺 AGAIN, NOBODY WILL FUCKING NOTICE."

And they're right, though this is more of a Doctor Who+Ramen thing it's still goddamn PLAGARISM.

But hey, if they can rip off Ramen well then it'll almost be as good as getting more episodes and for Wiki to stop saying that it isn't notable. Almost.
    I don't care it only had three episodes on the shitty anime network. I don't give a damn some hellish conspiracy against ALL THAT IS GOOD that only Ayn Rand could have conceived of killed it, I just want more REALISTIC FIGHT SCENES, and "oh god It all makes sense now."

I mean, how is having more than two perspectives on the same event inconsistent? Is it because trendy teenagers who buy an aluminum headband for sixty dollars can't understand the plot? Is it because they hired actual fucking artists who use reference sheets and are capable of drawing something other than technicolor abominations?

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    No, this is Doctor Who but with Hannah from Sclub and Dinosaurs rather than everything else. It's awful, but it may well occupy the "so bad it's good" region. The jury is out.

Pretty much. It's ITV's attempt to win back some ratings from the BBC by making something similar to Dr Who (although of course, they don't dare air it at the same time).

I'd say it isn't terrible enough to be so bad its good, but it is watchable as background noise while you're doing something else.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure shows should be judged according to how many main characters they've killed in a short period of time. The fact that they're willing to shake things up like that at all is enough for me. Some storylines just aren't improved by the number of main characters who die, and they certainly aren't improved just by their death count. Hell, I'm sure that after a point it just ceases to be surprising and starts killing the story arc itself.

I wasn't arguing that killing off main characters made the show good. I thought it was cool that a show took initiative to do something rather bold with it's main cast of characters.
    I think I may have begun the tangent because someone mentioned the show being cheery and family friendly.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And canceled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8100579.stm

Primeval axed after three series
    Primeval cast members
    Primeval was shown on ITV1 on Saturday teatimes

Science fiction drama series Primeval has been axed after "three very successful series", ITV has confirmed.

Starring Ben Miller, Douglas Henshall, and ex-S Club 7 star Hannah Spearritt, the show followed a group of scientists studying prehistoric creatures.

"High quality drama remains a key part of the ITV schedule, although our current focus is on post-watershed production," ITV said in a statement.

The show had an average audiences of about five million this year.

The figure was down from around six million for the first two series.

Earlier this year, ITV announced 600 job cuts and says it is now aiming to cut a further £40m in 2010.

Primeval may have suffered because of the big-budget computer effects needed to generate its fantastical creatures.

Website Total Sci-Fi said it had been told by a source that Primeval's production team were "devastated" but that they had "every intention of keeping Primeval alive in other ways".

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And it's back...

Although no one seemed to care when it was canceled so if no one else posts, I'll just go ahead and let this die, at least until 2011.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/09/primeval-saved-youll-get.php#more

Bolthorn on