Options

I hate everyone on the [Food Network]

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Javen wrote: »
    Iron Chef America is so much better than its predecessor it's amazing.

My ex girlfriend bought me all the old episodes and after watching like half of them I was finally convinced.

I really need to ask why?

Half the charm of the original Iron chef is the translators trying to making it as exciting as possible from reading off a card. Plus the responses from the judges are so typically Japanese it is awesome.

Blake T on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

My ex girlfriend bought me all the old episodes and after watching like half of them I was finally convinced.

The heights of your wrong-ness are staggering here

I can't even see it's peak but I know it's there, glowing with frosty-ignorance.

No-one will ever, ever top Sakai or Michiba. Ever. Certainly not the clown cavalcade they have on America.

If it weren't for Batali and Morimoto, it wouldn't even be remotely watchable.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love how the show tried to play up how amazing Morimoto was.
    All the while Sakai is just kinda chilling in the background.
    Not losing.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm honestly not too big a fan of either Iron Chef Japanese or America, though I guess I'm more fond of the American version. I like Morimoto and Batalli, while Flay is just...well, boring (BLUE CORN TORTILLAS!!!!) and Cora is the worst Iron Chef in the history of ever. Alton is a pretty good host, though. The judges range from good to very very terribad.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    cheshirecheshire Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I used to watch the original Iron Chef when it was on Food Network a long time ago. I was so excited when I heard about Iron Chef America. It wasn't that bad cause it had Morimoto and Batalli but they almost never have Morimoto compete. I just don't really watch it anymore.

cheshire on
    She was never meant to be a common creature
    Extraordinary takes time
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wasn't Sakai in the opening show?

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    Wasn't Sakai in the opening show?

they had american iron chefs compete in japan, but I'm not sure if they ever did it vice versa.

Javen on
  • Options
    cheshirecheshire Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember that Bobby Flay competed in Japan. I think it was against Morimoto, but I'm not sure.

cheshire on
    She was never meant to be a common creature
    Extraordinary takes time
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stale wrote: »

The heights of your wrong-ness are staggering here

I can't even see it's peak but I know it's there, glowing with frosty-ignorance.

No-one will ever, ever top Sakai or Michiba. Ever. Certainly not the clown cavalcade they have on America.

How about Alton Brown?

And I agree, Cat Cora is terrible, but Batali and Morimoto are both great.
    And they DO have some good judges on sometimes;
    Jeffrey Steingarden is an ass, but he knows his shit. And Ted Allen is ALWAYS great.

Sadly his show "Chopped" wasn't too enjoyable when I watched it.
    But damn I am excited for Top Chef Masters.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why is Cat Cora so bad, I've rarely seen her compete.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cat Cora is incredibly generic.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Stale wrote: »

So goddamned true.

"Oh, look! It's Bobby Flay! He'll use ancho chiles, some kind of chocolate, and likely a tamale! Just like last time!"

"Oh, look! It's Cat Cora! She'll flail around for 40 minutes and end up losing by 3-5 points! Just like last time!"

"Oh, look! It's Michael Symon! The new guy all being new and stuff! Did we mention that he's new?"

The odds of getting a watchable Iron Chef America are dwindling all the time.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    neville wrote: »

Sadly his show "Chopped" wasn't too enjoyable when I watched it.
    But damn I am excited for Top Chef Masters.

Chopped had some mechanics issues the first half of the season. They kept cutting the times too short on the appetizer round and fucking with the kitchen ingedients to "add more drama".

By the end of the season, they seemed to have realized a lot of their mistakes and just let the chefs do their thing within a time-frame that cut down on the likelihood of a failed plating or undercooked dish.

I think the next season will be better.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    neville wrote: »
    And they DO have some good judges on sometimes;
    Jeffrey Steingarden is an ass, but he knows his shit. And Ted Allen is ALWAYS great.

Yeah, but all too often they have judges who don't know their culinary ass from their elbow screwing up the aggregate score. Like Batista. Or Moe Rocca.

Oh, how I loathe Moe Rocca.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    blog_giada_2.jpg

giadadelaurentiis10807.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My doggie has a string hanging from his butt.

Hee hee.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like Chef Symon because he's not a cocky dickbag.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whoever mentioned Michael Smith earlier was dead on, he's very likeable once you get passed the "I'm so likeable vibe" that they lay on pretty thick in his Cooking at Home show.

Plus I just saw an episode of one of his other shows where he was travelling around in Japan and he was given a glass of Sake and Turtle Blood to drink and he dropped an F-bomb they barely managed to censor.

It was great to hear him swear, turns out he is human.

Yeah, that was exactly what I thought.

"That thing's gonna fucking bite me!"

I swear, it's a little surreal to hear him curse in that really friendly voice he's got. Still, it does make him seem more genuine.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I always felt kind of sorry for Iron Chef Italian. All stuck off to one side, never getting picked, just raised up on that platform every night holding his tomato and then (I assume) slowly lowered back down again.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    B.C. wrote: »
    Cat Cora is incredibly generic.

All you really need to know about Cat Cora is that she always puts her focus into presentation.

That pretty much tells you how good a cook she is.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    catcoraatmma.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    catcora-fhm.png

Another fun fact: Cora is a lesbian.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who isn't these days?

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I didn't know that!

Cat Cora's Partner Gives Birth To Her Biological Son Thatcher Julius Cora
    Celebrity chef Cat Cora, still pregnant, just became a mom again.

Cora, the star of 'Iron Chef America,' already had two sons with wife Jennifer Cora, Caje and Zoran. Both women gave birth to one of the older kids, and became pregnant at the same time with babies three and four.

Over the weekend, Jennifer gave birth to Cat's son Thatcher Julius Cora.

All four kids were conceived using the same sperm donor, with Jennifer carrying Cat's biological child and vice versa.

scatcoralarge.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wikipedia wrote:
    In 2006, she was hired as a paid spokesperson for InSinkErator Evolution series garbage disposals.[7]

HA

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jennifer is scary.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »
    I didn't know that!

Cat Cora's Partner Gives Birth To Her Biological Son Thatcher Julius Cora
    Celebrity chef Cat Cora, still pregnant, just became a mom again.

Cora, the star of 'Iron Chef America,' already had two sons with wife Jennifer Cora, Caje and Zoran. Both women gave birth to one of the older kids, and became pregnant at the same time with babies three and four.

Over the weekend, Jennifer gave birth to Cat's son Thatcher Julius Cora.

All four kids were conceived using the same sperm donor, with Jennifer carrying Cat's biological child and vice versa.

scatcoralarge.jpg

Christ, ladies - they're fetuses, not juggling balls.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    My doggie has a string hanging from his butt.

Hee hee.

Pull it and see what you win!

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bourdain is pretty much spot on about Ace of Cakes. It pisses me off that the show is solely about decoration and construction, and we never learn how to actually bake a tasty cake.

Also I hate Food Network Challenge because it's like Ace of Cakes, but without Chef Duff.

I enjoy Iron Chef America, but mostly because of Alton Brown and the occasional judge ripping into a bad dish.

Good Eats is probably my favorite FN show. I've learned so much there it's scary.

Chopped is a close second, mostly because it's fun to see chefs of varying degrees of skill work way out of their comfort zone. Vegan? You're gonna have to cook pork. Everyone else, you get three normal ingredients and one bizarre one. Have fun!

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    nosnibor wrote: »
    Bourdain is pretty much spot on about Ace of Cakes. It pisses me off that the show is solely about decoration and construction, and we never learn how to actually bake a tasty cake.

Also I hate Food Network Challenge because it's like Ace of Cakes, but without Chef Duff.

I enjoy Iron Chef America, but mostly because of Alton Brown and the occasional judge ripping into a bad dish.

Good Eats is probably my favorite FN show. I've learned so much there it's scary.

Chopped is a close second, mostly because it's fun to see chefs of varying degrees of skill work way out of their comfort zone. Vegan? You're gonna have to cook pork. Everyone else, you get three normal ingredients and one bizarre one. Have fun!

Duff has been on a number of cake challenges, though, though cake challenges aren't my favorite. Jaw dropping definitely goes to the sugar sculptures and you can't get more mouth watering than the macaroni and cheese challenge.

I like America because I feel it places more of an emphasis on the food. The original is definitely more charming, but the fact that the judges panel only ever had one, if any actual food critics gave me the impression that the best man didn't always win.

EDIT: Though America is definitely not innocent of this, either. The most recent episode (skirt steak I think?) Featured two regulars and fucking Meredith from The Office. What the fuck.

Javen on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They named their son Thatcher? What a couple of bitches.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My issues with FN Challenge are:
    -It's almost always a cake challenge
    -Pretty much the only ones I ever see are stupid shit like "Make a cake themed around X Disney movie." (And it has to be 4 feet tall and have moving parts)
    -It's mostly construction and decoration, so I don't learn much of anything useful for my kitchen

@ Javen:
    I totally agree with you about Iron Chef America. With the Japanese version, I couldn't relate to the food at all, and I never saw an episode where the challenger actually won(I know they existed, but were rare).

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    See I don't understand that problem. It's fine to have a show where you learn how to bake a cake, but what is wrong with a show where you just appreciate the talent of others? You don't have to be learning how to cook something to enjoy food. I mean, that's the whole point. It's food that you can appreciate by looking at without even having to taste it. That complaint is like saying you hate looking at a painting on display because the artist isn't showing you how he painted it.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    See I don't understand that problem. It's fine to have a show where you learn how to bake a cake, but what is wrong with a show where you just appreciate the talent of others? You don't have to be learning how to cook something to enjoy food. I mean, that's the whole point. It's food that you can appreciate by looking at without even having to taste it. That complaint is like saying you hate looking at a painting on display because the artist isn't showing you how he painted it.

You don't learn shit about how to be a tattoo artist on Miami Ink.

Or how to build motorcycles on American Chopper.

Not sure why anyone would complain Ace of Cakes doesn't provide enough how-to on how to be a cake decorator.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I mean, did anyone see the international cake championship or whatever Food had on a few weeks back or so? Holy god some of those designs were amazing.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    remember when Shatner hosted the premiere of Iron Chef America?
    oh billy

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So the only thing she prepared well in the oven was her lesbian wife's baby?

Hunter on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    So the only thing she prepared well in the oven was her lesbian wife's baby?
    And even that required pre-made ingredients.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I find Ace of Cakes to be an enjoyable show. I'd just like to see a recipe every now and then. Maybe it's just the format of the show, but I always get the vibe that the food is secondary and the presentation is what's important, which is a sentiment I don't really agree with.

nosnibor on