belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    leopardyum.png

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well Omeks beat me to it but also the fact that they can add "grape juice concentrate" to the juice and it is essentially the same nutritionally as sugar. (And they can do so while saying there's no sugar added. It's the same trick "1/3 reduced sugar" cereals use). Also there are massive dental repercussions from consuming a lot of the stuff.

Of course it's not toxic, of course it's ok in moderation, but saying it's a health food is taking things a little far

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    uh, the concentrate is simply because it's more cost effective to transport and store it as a concentrate and then reconstitute it later
    that's all they're doing, reconstituting it with water

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I mean, you're talking as if they're taking grape juice and then adding concentrated grape juice to it which is a stupid thing to think

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    but dru concentrate tastes so much sweeter before you put water in, they must be adding sugar to it!

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Omeks wrote: »
    necroSYS wrote: »
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    the welch's grape juice thing does bother me because he's hawking concentrated sugar water

also people should stop acting like they would giada out of bed for eating bruschetta
    what? their grape juice is just grape juice

The Alton Brown I knew would have spent an entire episode telling you why that grape juice is shit and how to find much better grape juice.
    yeah but that's not what zero was saying
    he was asserting it's just sugar water
    it's grape juice
    is he calling all grape juice "concentrated sugar water"?

I think what he was getting at is that processed fruit juices may claim to have health benefits (in this case, Brown promotes the anti-oxidants in Welch's), but those benefits are largely offset by the large amount of sugar present in the juice. Looking at Welch's nutrition facts, one 8 oz. serving of juice has 170 calories and 40 grams of sugar. The same serving size of Coca Cola has 27 grams of sugar. While a lot of the sugar in Welch's comes from the grapes themselves, it's hard to tell how much of it has been processed and even if it's 100%, that's a lot of sugar to consume in a single glass. Forget the fact that most people drink more than 8 ounces of anything with a meal. Brown is stressing the anti-oxidants so much in the commercial, but the fact is that you could probably get those anti-oxidants from other things that don't have the sugar content of that juice and in the grand scope of things, those anti-oxidants are a drop in the bucket compared to the sugar.

So while a glass of Welch's juice will help you towards getting your daily requirement of fruit, it's really just as sugar-laden as soda is. Though it doesn't have the other stuff present in Coke and fruit juice will fill you up whereas Coke will not. Of course the problem there is that if fruit juice fills you up, then you might not be hungry enough to eat the other daily requirements of veggies and proteins and whatnot.

EDIT: ...really? Two TOTPs in a row? In the same thread? Sigh...
    but there's no added sugar
    your ignorance of how much sugar fruit juice naturally has is leading you to the erroneous assumption that they're adding sugar when they aren't
    my mom made the same mistake recently when she bought a bottle of orange juice and looked at the amount of sugar
    she assumed they had sweetened it, when they had not

fruit juice is fine you stupid fucks and Welch's grape juice isn't some toxic poison compared to organic grape juice
    there may be some marginal differences in nutritional content but you're grossly overstating the differences

I didn't say they were adding sugar in. I actually specifically stated that most of the sugar in 100% fruit juices comes from the fruit itself. I'd call you a stupid fuck here but I'd like to have a mature debate.

That doesn't change the fact that you're drinking a fuckton of sugar in the process. Sure it's natural and from the fruit, but people largely assume that if their child is forbidden from drinking sodas they'll be saved from cavities, diabetes and such. Then they turn around and give their kids something that has an equal amount or even more sugar than soda had in the first place. Sure its got more health qualities than soda but we're still talking a large amount of sugar.

While juice isn't some sesspool of toxins (which I never said but you seem to have gotten from my post) and is ultimately fine in moderation (as is soda), it's not like replacing your two tall glasses of coke with two tall glasses of juice is going to get you to a much better place.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    also, here's some hard fucking data for you
    grape juice, unsweetened
    36g of sugar in a 253g serving of juice
    that's not brand specific, that's unsweetened grape juice in general
    of course, being an agricultural product there will be some variation but you guys are full of crap

edit: omeks you're still a tard for claiming that fruit juice is bad for you
    way to get uncritically sucked into to the latest pseudo science fad
    congratulations

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That doesn't change the fact that you're drinking a fuckton of sugar in the process. Sure it's natural and from the fruit, but people largely assume that if their child is forbidden from drinking sodas they'll be saved from cavities, diabetes and such.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah god fucking pseudoscience

the steadily increasing rate of diabetes couldn't possibly be from the ridiculous sugar intake we have in all of our food

just keep sucking down sugar by the pound and shouting down those who suggest it might not be healthy

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetesnewsarticle.jsp?storyId=15351710&filename=20070623/ADA200706231182625856641EDIT.xml

the massive amounts of sugar in our diets add to the growing obesity problem which compounds the greater incidence of diabetes

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fine. Forget it. Maybe I'm wrong but when I look at the back of a bottle of Coke, it's says there are 27 grams of sugar in a serving as opposed to 40 grams of sugar in Welch's 100% juice.

Also, I said juice was perfectly fine in moderation, but go ahead and continue to misconstrue what I'm saying. You magnificent asshole.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    yeah god fucking pseudoscience

the steadily increasing rate of diabetes couldn't possibly be from the ridiculous sugar intake we have in all of our food

just keep sucking down sugar by the pound and shouting down those who suggest it might not be healthy

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetesnewsarticle.jsp?storyId=15351710&filename=20070623/ADA200706231182625856641EDIT.xml

the massive amounts of sugar in our diets add to the growing obesity problem which compounds the greater incidence of diabetes
    yeah it couldn't possibly be that drinking fruit juice in moderation daily is fine as long as you're not also stuffing ice cream in your face every night and having a large milkshake with your whopper for lunch

nice try though

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well this thread got stupid.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    nigella lawson COME ON SHOW ME HER NAKED

http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2006-08-09-aolol

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well this thread got stupid.

Yeah, you're right.

At any rate, Alton is still pretty much the only host I'll watch on the Food Network, even with the whole juice thing. It still doesn't compare, in my mind, to Rachel Ray hawking poorly-made cookware or Bobby Flay promoting some terrific grilling tongs.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fine. Forget it. Maybe I'm wrong but when I look at the back of a bottle of Coke, it's says there are 27 grams of sugar in a serving as opposed to 40 grams of sugar in Welch's 100% juice.

Also, I said juice was perfectly fine in moderation, but go ahead and continue to misconstrue what I'm saying. You magnificent asshole.
    then if it's fine in moderation, what the fuck are you yelling about? don't get your panties in a bunch because I can't decipher your lunatic ramblings
    it sounds like the real issue is that you buy into the mindset that soft drinks are liquid evil so fruit juice also needs to be warned about simply because it can have more sugar
    both are fine for most people, though at least with fruit juice you actually get some nutritive value instead of just sugar water which seemed to be what your rant was all about in the first place
    I don't know, your monkey screeching is difficult to decipher
    perhaps if you expressed yourself more precisely instead of gesticulating wildly like a rutting macaque

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    god orange juice is the best juice

there is absolutely no argument otherwise

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys.

I like eating red grapes.

Sometimes green.

How about you?

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »

Orange pineapple.

Your move.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

only with pulp

people who don't like pulp are pussies and suckasses

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Chocolate's better than grapes. Chocolate's better than Grapes!

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

then if it's fine in moderation, what the fuck are you yelling about? don't get your panties in a bunch because I can't decipher your lunatic ramblings
    it sounds like the real issue is that you buy into the mindset that soft drinks are liquid evil so fruit juice also needs to be warned about simply because it can have more sugar
    both are fine for most people, though at least with fruit juice you actually get some nutritive value instead of just sugar water which seemed to be what your rant was all about in the first place
    I don't know, your monkey screeching is difficult to decipher
    perhaps if you expressed yourself more precisely instead of gesticulating wildly like a rutting macaque

What in the world are you talking about? I'm not yelling. That's your little perception of what I'm doing, but I started this thing out trying to have a calm debate over fruit juice and you came in calling us stupid fucks. You're the one who assumed I was on my end of the keyboard TYPING LIKE A MANIAC AND YELLING AT YOU AND DOING OTHER STUFF IN CAPS and getting angry when I'm really not at all. I'm not getting anything in a bunch. If anything, you sound like the one who is freaking out all over his keyboard.

Goddamn, this is the internet buddy. Despite what everyone says, it's not really serious business.

Let's just put this behind us and go back to talking about how Giada's teeth look like they're going to eat you.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

only with pulp

Fuck you pulpy and the pulp you rammed up your ass on the way in here. OJ needs no floating garbage. You don't chew your drink.

Hunter on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Sometimes green.

How about you?

I also enjoy eating grapes

seedless preferably

also, drinking wine

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Always seedless.

Also, yes. Wine.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hunter wrote: »

only with pulp

Fuck you pulpy and the pulp you rammed up your ass on the way in here. OJ needs no floating garbage. You don't chew your drink.

I'm sorry I didn't realize when you said you wanted orange juice you actually meant you wanted water that tasted like oranges

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    my fruit of preference are plums. plums will kick the shit ouf of peaches every day of the week

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

only with pulp

I'm sorry I didn't realize when you said you wanted orange juice you actually meant you wanted water that tasted like oranges

I could dip paper towels into orange juice for you and then you could chew on them like a cow all day to get your fiber on.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    nigella lawson COME ON SHOW ME HER NAKED

http://www.pentadact.com/index.php/2006-08-09-aolol
    omg
    the log for user 711391 is amazing

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Orange pineapple.

Your move.

Tropicana used to have strawberry-orange

Then they replaced it with the slightly inferior strawberry-banana-orange

Also pulpy and no pulp OJ are both fine

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    my fruit of preference are plums. plums will kick the shit ouf of peaches every day of the week

I prefer a good plum to a good peach, but plums seem to have a much larger manufacturing tolerance and less QA.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

only with pulp

I could dip paper towels into orange juice for you and then you could chew on them like a cow all day to get your fiber on.

paper is not food!

orange juice pulp is made of oranges!

oranges are delicious!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Sometimes green.

How about you?

I also enjoy eating grapes

seedless preferably

also, drinking wine
    yes, though I generally don't like white wines

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like no-pulp OJ because I drink through my front teeth

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like extra pulp in my oj

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah, but at your age you need the extra fiber.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah, but at your age you need the extra fiber.
    keeps me regular
    I poop at least once a week!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    roborobo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know, I like Michael Smith but sometimes he scares the shit out of me. His eyes bug out and he gets all passionate.

Giada is hot, but that mouth has like four thousand teeth in it. It also scares me.

Actually now that I think about it, most of the people on food network scare the shit outta me. Have you ever seen that food porn show? It's like on really early in the morning and its from maybe 10 years ago. They have a chef (random) come on and cook some dishes and there is like this porn jazz saxaphone music on. They do tons of close ups. It's really really weird but the food always looks great.

If you guys like the Food Network you should check out my food blog. I put lots of yummy recipes up.

I know, the writing may be not the greatest, but some people might like it.

http://www.deepfriedblog.com

Let me know if you like it or if you think my writing is no better than a 3rd grader (I'm way better than those 2nd graders though)

robo on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That picture of Giada on page 10 makes her look like Mr. Rictus
    Mr_Rictus.jpg

Edit: Oh yeah, I love Alton Brown. He's the best, especially when he's not on Good Eats, like on the Christmas special they did where all of the Food Network personalities were doing stuff together and he was a big ball of snark. It was the best.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mysst wrote: »

I go for the simple fruits. Apples and bananas.

I'm pretty sure it's mostly because they are easy to prepare (eat apple whole, peel banana), but I guess the potassium doesn't hurt either. Though the bananas I get tend to ripen in like two days and then they taste like fine ass.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png