As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

passenger motorcycle helmet [solved]

DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I have no one person in mind - it's just in case I want to take a passenger (probably a lady) somewhere. I'm thinking medium, open face with flip-down clear face shield.

Any issues with that plan? I realize that if someone is going to be using it regularly, they should get a helmet that's more comfortably fit to them.

Doc on

• Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    That's what I would go with....DOT-rated, but not claustrophobic. Good vision and good protection.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    I have no one person in mind - it's just in case I want to take a passenger (probably a lady) somewhere. I'm thinking medium, open face with flip-down clear face shield.

Any issues with that plan? I realize that if someone is going to be using it regularly, they should get a helmet that's more comfortably fit to them.

Personally, I wouldn't go with a open face helmet. I won't wear anything but a full face helmet when I'm the only person on the bike, and I wouldn't have anything less for a passenger unless they bought the helmet their self.

Some people might think it's overkill, but if you're ejected from the bike in the event of a crash I would prefer to lessen the chances that I'll need to have my jaw held together by wires or needing serious dental work done for broken teeth.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I've found a few full-faced helmets on clearance for about the same price as the open-face ones I was looking at, I'll probably go for one of those.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thoughts on the medium size? I realize it won't fit everyone, but I want to cast the widest net.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Some people might think it's overkill, but if you're ejected from the bike in the event of a crash I would prefer to lessen the chances that I'll need to have my jaw held together by wires or needing serious dental work done for broken teeth.

How likely is that with the visor down, though? (Not being sarcastic, honestly asking)

necroSYS on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    necroSYS wrote: »

How likely is that with the visor down, though? (Not being sarcastic, honestly asking)

Very. The visor only protects you from the wind and the occasional bug, there are no structural elements between your face and the ground.

Edit: As for sizing, medium is probably a good compromise. If you find yourself with a recurring passenger, you can usually get smaller or larger pads for the inside to fine-tune the fit.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

2009_Arai_SZ-C_Helmet.jpg

That is the type of helmet I was talking about. You can imagine how much protection from the road the visor provides.

Doc on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    not a motocycle rider so take this for what its worth

don't they have flip up helmet helmets that when down are essentially full face ones? I know Alton Brown had one in his feasting on asphalt show?

here it is up
    AB_accident.jpg

and down
    foa1.1.gif

no idea on price though

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Doc wrote: »

2009_Arai_SZ-C_Helmet.jpg

That is the type of helmet I was talking about. You can imagine how much protection from the road the visor provides.

Yeah, I know what kind you're talking about. It's the same kind I've used. It was fine for me when I totalled my Shadow (took a nice slam to the side of the head on that one), but then again, I didn't land on my face.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just to elaborate on the need for full-face helmets.

Accident damage to helmet by region:

Helmet_5.jpg

So that's 34.6% of all accidents bust the jaw, which is more than any other region. The other big ones are impacts to the forehead and the back of the skull.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
This discussion has been closed.