As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD4e] Mining Rites - IC Thread - Scoop Golem Rampage Incoming

1234568»

• Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Carric hauls ass to the western edge of the quarry, looking for a way to be useful in this fight.
    Double Move to K2
    If I can do something at the Vault with a Minor action, let me know.

cytorak on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maintaining her grip on the golem's forge, the Tigress continues to attack. This time, she's unable to do more than put a few scratches on it's metal carapace.
    Minor: Sustain grab

Standard: Grasping Claws vs Golem Reflex (27) (1d20+15=25) Swing and a miss.

Rius on
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Agar raises his crossbow and takes a shot, but the projectile pings off the golem's thick shell. Growling, he shuffles further into the dust, hoping to vanish from the creature's view.
    Ranged Basic Attack vs. Scoop Golem 1d20+23=26 Miss!
    Move to D4. Stealth maybe? 1d20+22=41

Saurfang on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Carric discovers what appears to be a truly ancient stone-sealed portal, apparently sealed from within. However, from the telltale streaks of no-dust, and clear access around the sealing stone itself, it appears like that it has been shifted recently...

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Clearly Grumzog Stormborn, Chief of the Grgnark, son of lightning, bane of the invaders, is allergic to quarry dust, for yet another shot of his goes wide of the gigantic golem.

Blazing Starfall 1d20+15 = 23 ! and... miss again

If hit I will use Dragonflame Mantle : Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain a
    +1 power bonus to all defenses, and any creature
    that hits you with a melee attack takes 1d6 fire
    damage.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Round 4.8

As much as the enormous being of wrought steel was startled by the damage dealt to its scoop, the scattering of his foes appears to have reinvigorated it. Swiping Sariela clear from her clawed-in position with the back of one pincer, with the other he grabs her neatly, applying a vice-like grip to her ribcage.

Again, the golem asserts its (or somethings) intent. "I WILL AWAKEN!"

Map:
    2h69kaw.jpg
    Round Information

ACTIONS

Scoop Golem

Move: Escape - Str vs Sariela's Fort (24) - SUCCESS by 4; shift

Standard: Grasp - vs Sariela's Ref (28) - HIT by 3
    Damage: 15 damage.
    Effect: Sariela is GRABBED (until escape)

Initiative:

33 - Sariela - 64/97 - Defenses 28/24/26/25, GRABBED by Scoop Golem
    30 - Agar Deadeye - 82/87
    30 - Grumzog - 60/86
    20 - Scoop Golem - Agar's Quarry
    12 - Carric

Scoop Golem - HP: 538/780 - AC 36, Fortitude 34, Reflex 27, Will 29

Scoop Golem
    - Threatening Reach: 2 squares around it
    - Scoop Golem gets +5 to saving throws
    - Scoop Golem gets an automatic save to avoid being knocked prone or restrained. You can roll this at the time, if you attempt to cause either effect.
    - Scoop Golem automatically ignores the first square of forced movement.
    - Scoop Golem has Blindsight

Environmental Effects

* The dust provides Concealment for creatures more than 4 squares away from their attacker.
    * Yellowed squares are considered to be difficult terrain
    * The section labelled `vault' on the map below is indistinguishable right now.

ATTACKS ON SCOOP GOLEM GROINFORGE
    * Defenses are considered to be two higher for attacks at this particular target. There may be a fancy effect, which I will express to you if an aimed attack is successful.

Next: Carric!

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Carric studies the door for any traps, arcane or mundane, that might give him some answers to halting the monster's rampage.
    Standard and Minor: Arcana and Thievery (1d20+11=27, 1d20+7=23)

Double Boosh!

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    As the golem stomps around in the distance, Carric's reflection on the scene leads him to consider the implications of the recently opened vault, and the breached wards thereof.

Presumably, he considers, the golem hasn't always been beating up overseers & slaves - certainly the eladrin that was followed down into the pit didn't expect to be pummeled. Perhaps it is the incomplete manner in which this portal was resealed that is giving the scoop golem this extra verve and autonomy - something inside is interfering, and perhaps a dull-witted servant is a convenient vessel.

Re-setting the traps and wards of this portal may serve to cut the golem off from whatever presence inside the vault could be causing this erratic behaviour...if Carric's theory is correct, that is.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Carric puts two and two together and shouts out, "Agar, Grumzog, I've got an idea, but I need your help! Sariela, keep up the good work!"
    I'm assuming that I can't do anything more on my turn in regards to le Skill Cheques.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yep, correct. Thinking is hard work and clearly takes a standard action.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yowling as the Scoop Golem's claw closes around her, the Tigress twists and claws with a fury, barely able to escape the mechanical monstrosity's grasp. Moving carefully away from the creature and shifting out of her beast form, Sariela runs as well as she can over the rough ground away from the machine.

Carric, you optimist, my good work isn't exactly doing much!
    Move: Acrobatics Check to escape grab; 1d20+11 vs Golem Reflex (27): 1d20+17=28 Success! Man, I didn't expect that. Shift to E18.

Minor: Wild Shape into humanoid form, shift to F19.

Move: Run to J21

Rius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Yeah. Yeah. I'm coming. Just you wait."
    Stupid-ass construct with ridiculous armor

Grumzog launches a last ball of fiery death towards the Scoop Golem, then starts off running towards Carric.

"Huh. Carric. Where are you at ?"
    Standard : Blazing starfall 1d20+15=... 30 !!! HIT!!
    Damage = 24

Move : Run to Q6
    Minor : look around...

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Agar whipps his head back and forth between the Scoop Golem and Carric. He does love to shoot things so, but... he shrugs his shoulders, mutters in the direction of his crossbow, and dashes toward his bardic companion's voice. Skidding to a halt before he crashes into Carric, Agar is amazed at the sight of the vault door. "What the hell is this? Looks like something busted out of here..."
    Move to J2.
    Standard: Thievery Check to spot and reenable any wards at Carric's direction: 1d20+17=34 Woo! Feelin' good about that one. I assume these checks'd be standard actions, or Agar would take another potshot at the golem.

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Round 5.8

With focused attention falling on the vault door, a bit of magical knowledge mixed with some good old improvisation know-how lead a way to plug the more obvious holes - however, there remains one finishing touch to be completed - a basic passage of words to fix the seal.

With its enemies scattered in the dust, the golem creaks as it feels you out in the ferrous smog. Reaching a conclusion, it stomps across the tricky terrain with its big spindly legs towards the vault door. It thrashes at the bard with a rust-caked pincer, landing a hefty blow.

"NOTHING CAN CONTAIN ME!", the golem bellows.

Carric/Agar/Grumzog:
    I'm going to need an Arcana (28) or Religion (26) check as a standard action and a good abjuration cant.
    Map:
    sboth2.jpg
    Round Information

ACTIONS

Scoop Golem

Move: Walk

Standard: Charge - vs Carric's AC (27) - HIT by 3
    Damage: 17 damage

Initiative:

33 - Sariela - 64/97 - Defenses 28/24/26/25
    30 - Agar Deadeye - 82/87
    30 - Grumzog - 60/86
    20 - Scoop Golem - Agar's Quarry
    12 - Carric - 71/88

Scoop Golem - HP: 514/780 - AC 36, Fortitude 34, Reflex 27, Will 29

Scoop Golem
    - Threatening Reach: 2 squares around it
    - Scoop Golem gets +5 to saving throws
    - Scoop Golem gets an automatic save to avoid being knocked prone or restrained. You can roll this at the time, if you attempt to cause either effect.
    - Scoop Golem automatically ignores the first square of forced movement.
    - Scoop Golem has Blindsight

Environmental Effects

* The dust provides Concealment for creatures more than 4 squares away from their attacker.
    * Yellowed squares are considered to be difficult terrain

Next: Carric!

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Getting bashed in the head does little to get the synapses firing, so Carric instead pats Agar on the shoulder and slurs, "Go get'em, tiger!"
    Minor: Inspire Competence (Arcana). Until the EOMNT, the first time Agar and I make an Arcana check, we get a +2 to the roll.

Standard: Arcana (with +2 IC bonus): 1d20+11+2 17

Blech.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Grateful for the momentary respite from the golem's onslaught, Sariela recollects herself and leaps back into the fray, shifting into beast form and running over the quarry floor back towards the battle.
    Standard: Second Wind

Minor: Wild shape into Beast form

Move: Run to O14

Sariela @ O14, 88/94 HP, Defenses 28/25/26/26

Up Next: Agar!

Rius on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh my. I just realized that it is literally impossible for Agar to make either the Religion or Arcana check, even with Carric's inspire competence. ('cause he's stoopid) If I rolled a 19 or 20, and then had a +2 assist bonus, that'd do it... what do you guys think?

Edit: Idea! I'll make an assist check to help Carric, since hopefully that's a lower DC.
    Arcana: 1d20+7=16
    Edit 2: Sorry, that roll is in the correct campaign but it has the wroooooong character name. The dangers of auto-fill!

Agar scratched his head, then spat on his palms, rubbed them together, and cracked his knuckles. "Tiger, alright...." The orc cleared his throat.

"Tiger, Tiger, burning bright
    in the darkness of this pit
    help us close this door real tight
    we don't want to open it
    "

Saurfang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "I'm thinking... hum... possession of some kind ? So... reverse it ? maybe ?"

Move to N3
    Standard : Arcana : 23...
    Minor : lightning shift to H1

Hermenegilde on