As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apple 2009 WWDC Keynote

• Options
    Hardleft_335Hardleft_335 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Im not going to argue with you, but Berklee has a partnership with apple and tons of software/updates was given out for free all the time.

Hardleft_335 on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goddamnit Apple. After having moved the tabs, they've now put them back on the bottom without a way to restore that "tabs up top" look.

Safari 4 Tabs on Windows
    Safari 4 Tabs on OS X

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Im not going to argue with you, but Berklee has a partnership with apple and tons of software/updates was given out for free all the time.

Higher education is a different situation, though. Every school kind of does their own thing. Heck, I got Office 2004 for Mac for $10 through mine. But the point I was trying to make is that iLife is completely separate from the OS.

Sorry, I've just seen a lot of posts on forums in the recent years whining about how iLife wasn't free, etc. Left a sour taste in my mouth.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goddamnit Apple. After having moved the tabs, they've now put them back on the bottom without a way to restore that "tabs up top" look.

Safari 4 Tabs on Windows
    Safari 4 Tabs on OS X

Yeah, hopefully they add a toggle soon. I liked them up top.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »

Safari 4 Tabs on Windows
    Safari 4 Tabs on OS X

Me too, I got used to it and then learned to really like them up there.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Safari 4 Tabs on Windows
    Safari 4 Tabs on OS X

Unless they took the coding out, there's probably a terminal command to do it.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Safari 4 Tabs on Windows
    Safari 4 Tabs on OS X

I'm confused, whats the difference here, the tabs are at the top in both pictures.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, I think I'll be saving my pennies for the 13" MBP. The new features, the promise of Snow Leopard, and the cut to the price make it a really compelling machine, even as a second computer. It actually is a very good value for what you get. I'd love a 10" netbook-ish MacBook, but I think it's clear that they're gonna transition the MacBook to a tablet style thing, while the MBP remains the traditional laptop. 13" offers enough portability, but I do wish it was just a tad smaller.

iPhone is nice, but I refuse to switch to Rogers(Canada) so it's a non-starter for me. I'll get 3.0 for my iPod Touch 1G though.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why does it look like the 15 inch Macbook Pro lineup is worse than the old lineup? I know you can now have upto 500 GB HDD and upto 8GB RAM but it just looks like you are paying more for very little change.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Why does it look like the 15 inch Macbook Pro lineup is worse than the old lineup? I know you can now have upto 500 GB HDD and upto 8GB RAM but it just looks like you are paying more for very little change.

um, didnt' they cut the price?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

Cut price and bumped up the base RAM and HDD configs. And added an SD card slot (But took away the Expresscard Slot).

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

Cut price and bumped up the base RAM and HDD configs. And added an SD card slot (But took away the Expresscard Slot).

The SD card slot at the removal of the expresscard slot is a joke as the who idea of the Macbook Pro is the idea for professional use. I just used to usually seeing a bigger improvement that that.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MOTHERFUCKER.

My wife and I just bought brand new 8gig 3G's a little over two weeks ago. That price is effective today? I really hope they can (will) do something (give me back two hundred bucks) for me.

Fawst on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    Why did you buy the phone without doing any research first?

MacRumors buyers guide would have told you to wait until today because it was due for a refresh between now and july.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Common sense as well: the original iPhone came out roughly 2 years ago, with a 2 year service contract. That means there's a whole lot of early-adopter geeks whose contracts are expiring.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I got mine without a contract (somehow). That means I am gonna snap one of the new s models up like a motherfucker, although my wife is trying to talk me out of it. She's the one with the 3G, she doesn't have to put up with my TERRIBLE phone.

See the thing is my phone is still great, but not new enough.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fawst wrote: »
    MOTHERFUCKER.

My wife and I just bought brand new 8gig 3G's a little over two weeks ago. That price is effective today? I really hope they can (will) do something (give me back two hundred bucks) for me.

This is info from another forum.
    Just got back for the ATT store and on the original iphone again. Just wanted to let everyone know that has an iphone 3g less then a month old all you have to do is go into the store and cancle your Contract witch will cost you a $20 restocking fee and then you can go and pick the new one up on the 19th. However if you are like me and you upgraded in the last 30 days they will downgrade your plan back to your old iphone and you can upgrade again on the 19th.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I notice they removed the microphone jack on the 13" MBP... kind of annoying. I know it's compatible with Apple's in-line mic headphones, but are other microphones going to be able to use it?

Also, I know they silently updated the 13" display before it was re-designated a MBP, but I wonder if it'll be bumped again to the quality of the 15". I sure hope so, otherwise it doesn't really qualify as a "pro" machine.

Any photos of the bottoms, now that they all have non-removable batteries? I wonder if RAM is still non-user serviceable... that kind of annoyed me when I found that out after being excited they finally made the HDD user-replaceable.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if RAM is still non-user serviceable... that kind of annoyed me when I found that out after being excited they finally made the HDD user-replaceable.
    abwah? I will kee-haul someone if RAM is no longer user-serviceable in the Macbook Pros. I thought it always was.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As far as I know it is. That's what my friend was told at the Apple Store when she bought her unibody MB. And despite the fact there are instructions for installing RAM on the inside of the panel you remove, I somehow doubt Apple would want the average consumer unscrewing removing the entire bottom of the case and exposing sensitive internal components.

I could be wrong, though. Other than second-hand info from an Apple store rep, I can't find conclusive info. I'll try calling Apple later to find out for sure.

Edit: Nevermind. Apple has this instructional article on replacing the RAM, with no mention of voiding the warranty(http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651). So I guess I jumped to conclusions, and that the Apple rep was mistaken.

I'm still curious if/how they've changed how one accesses the RAM, seeing as the battery is no longer removable. I wonder if they made it more user-friendly, like the old MBP line, with a panel instead of having to remove the whole bottom.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if RAM is still non-user serviceable... that kind of annoyed me when I found that out after being excited they finally made the HDD user-replaceable.
    abwah? I will kee-haul someone if RAM is no longer user-serviceable in the Macbook Pros. I thought it always was.

There's like one model of MacBook Pro that comes with less than 4GB of RAM, standard. Do you seriously feel that your laptop requires more than 4 GB of RAM?

Seriously?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »

There's like one model of MacBook Pro that comes with less than 4GB of RAM, standard. Do you seriously feel that your laptop requires more than 4 GB of RAM?

Seriously?
    Do you seriously care what I do with my laptop?

And yeah, if I want more than 4GB of RAM, then I want more. And I want to be able to install it, myself, if the hardware supports it.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I'm getting the 13" MBP, and it comes with 2GB of RAM. I'll be upgrading that in short order.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    for the moment, no one is going to be putting in more than 4gigs

not while it costs like 700 anyways

also safari 4 is pretty keen i'd seen

and i just looked at the 17in mb pro ram servicing guide, as it already had the non-removable battery, you have to unscrew the whole bottom

ronzo on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm eligible for the upgrade to the 3Gs for 149.99 according to AT&T but my wife is trying to talk me out of it.

:angryface:

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Snow leopard upgrade is $14.95 AUD... What?

http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/

noobert on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    I'm so stoked for Nike+

Do you really drag your phone with you while you sweat and get rained on and shit? It sounds like a nice idea, but I'd be afraid I'd ruin it.

I'm also disappointed that the chrome trim is still there on the new model. Not that I was going to buy one, but it'd look better without.

Fats on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    No I don't, because my old phone didn't support Nike+.

And I also don't run in the rain, those people are way too hardcore for me :P

Unknown User on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone knows what the resolution is on the tier 3 15" MBP? I can't find it on the website.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My guess is it's still the usual 1440 x 900 if they didn't mention anything else in the keynote.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I approve of the $29.99 USD price tag for users upgrading from Leopard. :^:

Kris on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Anyone knows what the resolution is on the tier 3 15" MBP? I can't find it on the website.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

its 1440 x 900 still

ronzo on
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm glad I chose the white macbook rather than the unibody one when I got my laptop 2 months ago. Would have been too late to return/exchange!

Jishian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh. Oh man. This is a long time coming.

Scroll to the bottom of the page at http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/
    Apple wrote:
    Snow Leopard improves the reliability of ejecting discs and external drives. Sometimes when an application or process is using the files on a drive, Mac OS X prevents you from ejecting it, but you don’t always know why. In Snow Leopard, you’ll get fewer of those errors and when you do get them, you’ll see exactly which application is using the drive, so you can quit it and eject the drive properly.

(emphasis mine)

I like how they say "you don't always know why" instead of "OS X never tells you why." But still. No more telling friends and co-workers they have to download What's Keeping Me before they can eject that flash drive.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All the improvements in Snow Leopard and it's going to be 6 gigs rather than 12? Awesome.

Jishian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Not too surprising considering they're hacking out all the old PPC junk.

I'm also glad they decided to implement that eject feature.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a Firewire 400 external HDD (larger port, 6 pin?), I'll be picking up the 13" MBP with the Firewire 800 port. The ports look different, but I hear it's compatible. I guess I need a new cable, right? Will this one I found on monoprice do the job? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030105&p_id=3542&seq=1&format=2

I'm fairly certain it will, but I just wanted a second opinion.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    I have a Firewire 400 external HDD (larger port, 6 pin?), I'll be picking up the 13" MBP with the Firewire 800 port. The ports look different, but I hear it's compatible. I guess I need a new cable, right? Will this one I found on monoprice do the job? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10301&cs_id=1030105&p_id=3542&seq=1&format=2

I'm fairly certain it will, but I just wanted a second opinion.

Yup. That's actually how we have our main work drive at the office hooked up to the server, although it's the other way around; the Mac Mini server is from before they had 800 and the drive is a newer one.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh. Oh man. This is a long time coming.

Scroll to the bottom of the page at http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/
    Apple wrote:
    Snow Leopard improves the reliability of ejecting discs and external drives. Sometimes when an application or process is using the files on a drive, Mac OS X prevents you from ejecting it, but you don’t always know why. In Snow Leopard, you’ll get fewer of those errors and when you do get them, you’ll see exactly which application is using the drive, so you can quit it and eject the drive properly.

(emphasis mine)

I like how they say "you don't always know why" instead of "OS X never tells you why." But still. No more telling friends and co-workers they have to download What's Keeping Me before they can eject that flash drive.
    I use a program called Sloth to find that out too. But yeah, this will help so much so I won't have to even open the program anymore.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Y'know, I have absolutely no need for a laptop and I'm kinda tempted to pick up the little $999 white guy.

C'mon Apple, netbook plz.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
This discussion has been closed.