Options

Apple 2009 WWDC Keynote

1356716

Posts

  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Should I take out extra money from my student loan this fall to buy a new Macbook Pro?

    [ ] Yes
    [ ] No

    Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    why do you need 50 tabs open echo

    This is like asking me why I need more than one mouse button.

    Mac users need more than one button?
    I kid I kid.

    bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    its the porn isnt it

    Unknown User on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    its the porn isnt it

    shit, busted

    Echo on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    safari 4 supposed to be more crash resistent

    god i hope so because some of the fucking hang-up it has are fucking stupid

    I never ever use safari, it crashes every 5 seconds whenever it tries to load a page, worst web browser ever. Firefox is so much better.

    this is like the gold standard for "shit that sucks for me but has no bearing on anyone else" posts

    How? Apples entire marketing strategy is "No problems for anyone ever and nothing will ever go wrong" my experience is that their safari browser is hugely unreliable, with frequent hangups which have no documentation and all they do is give the spinny color wheel of death.

    ask obs to send steve jobs to personally apologize for your singular problem that sounds like maybe you fucked up the safari install with mods if you're on a mac. If you're on windows then no fucking wonder it doesn't work perfectly, its meant more as a testing and debugging tool for websites for people who only have windows machines

    Didn't we already decide that Obs is actually Steve Jobs?

    Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    safari 4 supposed to be more crash resistent

    god i hope so because some of the fucking hang-up it has are fucking stupid

    I never ever use safari, it crashes every 5 seconds whenever it tries to load a page, worst web browser ever. Firefox is so much better.

    this is like the gold standard for "shit that sucks for me but has no bearing on anyone else" posts

    How? Apples entire marketing strategy is "No problems for anyone ever and nothing will ever go wrong" my experience is that their safari browser is hugely unreliable, with frequent hangups which have no documentation and all they do is give the spinny color wheel of death.

    ask obs to send steve jobs to personally apologize for your singular problem that sounds like maybe you fucked up the safari install with mods if you're on a mac. If you're on windows then no fucking wonder it doesn't work perfectly, its meant more as a testing and debugging tool for websites for people who only have windows machines

    No mods installed on safari ever, has failed since day one of purchase, never ever worked reliably. Using on a MacBook with all recent patches and updates.

    I don't demand they apologize personally, I'm just glad to see them acknowledging that Safari does crash, perhaps Safari 4 will fix the problem.

    tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am sorry. But you dont release a web browser to be only a 'testing and debugging tool'.

    Amd is GDC something that will allow all apps to take advantage of 64? Including stuff that wasnt written for it?

    projectmayhem on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trentus wrote: »
    Apparently Ars just got a press release from Apple saying that Snow Leopard will be available in September for $29

    What? That has to be a misprint. That's cheaper than iLife & iWork.

    Well, they haven't retracted or corrected it yet. So here's hoping. I was going to buy into a multi license pack with some friends... this could make it all that much more affordable.

    Trentus on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    safari 4 supposed to be more crash resistent

    god i hope so because some of the fucking hang-up it has are fucking stupid

    I don't demand they apologize personally, I'm just glad to see them acknowledging that Safari does crash, perhaps Safari 4 will fix the problem.

    I had problems with the old safari, but I've been using the beta of Safari 4 since it was released and never had a problem at all. I was actually quite surprised at first, but now don't really like using anything else.

    BobCesca on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Since Snow Leopard isn't really a brand new OS I would expect it to be cheaper.

    Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am sorry. But you dont release a web browser to be only a 'testing and debugging tool'.

    Amd is GDC something that will allow all apps to take advantage of 64? Including stuff that wasnt written for it?

    you do when it's for windows and people got bitchy that they couldn't test safari compatabiltiy from a windows only machine.

    and tbloxham i was refering more to that fact that safari sucks for you because you happen to have some sort of crazy bug, it works pretty well for the rest of it, so stating "safari is the worst browser ever" is just loaded with hyperbole

    ronzo on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Safari 4 has been great on my Macbook, but they could really put in some time on the Windows port. I know, I know "why would they do that, olol?" Because I'm whiny, damnit. Thats why.

    Also, when you guys hear Apple go "we added Exchange support so you can use your mac at the office" do you also hear every IT guy in an MS-based shop snorting whatever it was that they were drinking onto the monitor?

    Desk Jockey: "Hey, Apple works with Exchange now, can I use my Macbook?"
    IT: "<strangle!>"

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    I am sorry. But you dont release a web browser to be only a 'testing and debugging tool'.

    Amd is GDC something that will allow all apps to take advantage of 64? Including stuff that wasnt written for it?

    you do when it's for windows and people got bitchy that they couldn't test safari compatabiltiy from a windows only machine.

    and tbloxham i was refering more to that fact that safari sucks for you because you happen to have some sort of crazy bug, it works pretty well for the rest of it, so stating "safari is the worst browser ever" is just loaded with hyperbole

    No. If a company releases a web browser you better damn well be able to browse the web. Apple did not release Safari to windows just as a debugging/testing tool. I do agree with you that you shouldnt say 'X is the worst ever' based on a problem that only that person has ever seen.

    I personally never have had any more problems with Safari than any other browser.

    edit: Finally on to the iphone.

    projectmayhem on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    $29 confirmed.


    :shocked:

    BobCesca on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    I am sorry. But you dont release a web browser to be only a 'testing and debugging tool'.

    Amd is GDC something that will allow all apps to take advantage of 64? Including stuff that wasnt written for it?

    you do when it's for windows and people got bitchy that they couldn't test safari compatabiltiy from a windows only machine.

    and tbloxham i was refering more to that fact that safari sucks for you because you happen to have some sort of crazy bug, it works pretty well for the rest of it, so stating "safari is the worst browser ever" is just loaded with hyperbole

    Well perhaps, but all the other browsers don't have this bug, and when I get bugs in other browsers their support forums are helpful and it tends to be easy to diagnose. The bug isn't the problem, fixing it in Macs culture of "Nothing can ever be wrong with a mac" is the problem.

    I'll be the first to admit there is likely something wrong with my MacBook, its the least reliable computer I've used in the past 10 years, but unfortunately Mac seems to think my problems are imaginary and it just enormously frustrates me when I'm watching a commercial saying "Windows always crashes and gets viruses, Vista sucks!" on my windows PC while looking for a fix for my crashed Mac

    tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That $29 is confirmed for LEOPARD users. Lets see what it would cost to upgrade from 10.4.

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i dunno if this is important or not, but snow leopard is intel only

    and i'm sure safari browses just fine on windows, what i meant was expecting it to be as polished and stable like firefox, opera or IE is not realistic

    ronzo on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wow, officially $29 for Snow Leopard upgrade. Nice.

    SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trentus wrote: »
    Trentus wrote: »
    Apparently Ars just got a press release from Apple saying that Snow Leopard will be available in September for $29

    What? That has to be a misprint. That's cheaper than iLife & iWork.

    Well, they haven't retracted or corrected it yet. So here's hoping. I was going to buy into a multi license pack with some friends... this could make it all that much more affordable.

    It wasn't a press release, it was at the show... they want everyone to upgrade.

    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    30 bucks for upgrading to snow, 50 for a new family copy

    onto the iphone

    ronzo on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy fuck. $29?

    That's bought fucking day one it is.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Also, Safari does suck shit. That's a fact.

    There isn't a colour limey enough to express the truth of this statement.

    iTunesIsEvil: at least the entourage beta (or did they change the name in the beta? whatever, you know what I mean) really helps things out. But yeah. As a computer guy: strangle.

    Don't ask me why apple computers have such issue with exchange when their phones can do it.

    Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I need to get a new external HDD as well. My FW400 250GB drive ain't working with Time Machine, and I'll definitely want a nice backup before I move into Snow Leopard territory.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tbloxham, Apples claims of never crashing are a lie, and no you are not the only person affected. Three months ago I got a new 24" iMac in the office for work. I've had more programs crash in these three months than I've had with my Dell computer that has been using Vista for the past three years.

    If I were you, I'd try to restore and reinstall Leopard. If that doesn't fix it, go to an Apple store, and keep pushing your issue.

    DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm interested to see what they add to the iPhone. I'll never have one because fuck $70 a month for a cell phone, but I always like to see what they add in.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ego wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Also, Safari does suck shit. That's a fact.

    There isn't a colour limey enough to express the truth of this statement.

    I really don't understand this. In the current beta I've had no problems and much prefer using it to the other options I've tried. Maybe I'm not geeky enough, or something.

    Also, blah, blah, blah, iphone developers "tell their story"

    BobCesca on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've had maybe 2 full crashes of my macbook in 2+ years, and only a handful of program crashes. I have no idea how I'm so lucky, apparently, because the 2 dell laptops and the gateway desktop i've had previously were a pain in the ass.

    SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    (BobCesca)

    Can't comment on the beta. I basically don't use beta software, as I don't support beta software for work (because while sometimes beta software is truly superior to release software, sometimes it's beta, and if I start supporting good beta software it means I get to support BAD beta software.)

    The only exceptions I can think of are the Win7 beta (which I still wouldn't run if I didn't have a Vista and XP machine running 24/7 too.)

    Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I feel like I am sitting through the Ubisoft show. Just tell me 3.0 is out today so I can take a shower :)

    projectmayhem on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ive been using vista on my desktop for a couple years and ive fully crashed while not playing a game maybe.... 3 times?

    im glad i didnt buy a 3g iphone to upgrade from my 1st gen a month ago. have they said anything about what its supposed to do?

    TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Trentus wrote: »
    Trentus wrote: »
    Apparently Ars just got a press release from Apple saying that Snow Leopard will be available in September for $29

    What? That has to be a misprint. That's cheaper than iLife & iWork.

    Well, they haven't retracted or corrected it yet. So here's hoping. I was going to buy into a multi license pack with some friends... this could make it all that much more affordable.

    It wasn't a press release, it was at the show... they want everyone to upgrade.

    Well, it was announced at the show around 10:45. The Ars comment was posted to their site at around 10:30

    Trentus on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    3.0 here we come...

    BobCesca on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hey, personal experiences are personal experiences!

    ronzo on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    3.0 here we come...

    *fingers crossed*

    come on release date of today...

    Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did the crowd just threaten to tar and feather ATT?

    CJTheran on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    based on these pictures of the OS 3.0, i'm thinking if there is a new version of the iphone it's going to have the same case

    ronzo on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ahahahaha, sometimes Gizmodo amuses me:
    Jason Chen wrote:
    “The big news here is MMS.” Two years into a phone’s lifecycle it finally gets MMS—and we’re supposed to be happy about it? MMS should have been in there at LAUNCH.

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WHAT THE FUCK ATT.

    "MMS support (send and receive photos/contacts/audio files/locations) in Messages app (29 carriers in 76 countries will support MMS at launch -- AT&T not until later this summer)"

    projectmayhem on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CJTheran wrote: »
    Did the crowd just threaten to tar and feather ATT?
    I think so. Thats what happens when you say "our phone finally does <Feature>!" and then you follow that up with "but the carrier we're forcing you to deal with isn't ready to support that yet!"

    iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    spotlight for iphone, att being cocks about MMS

    video rentals/downloads straight to iphone

    ronzo on
This discussion has been closed.