Apple 2009 WWDC Keynote

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    the find my phone this is neat

as well as the "fuck someone stole my phone, ERASE ALL DATA"

Would be better if it set a random password on the phone afterwards, and told you that in the browser. "Hey, I erased your shit, and made the phone unusable for the asshole. You're welcome."

i think there's currently a way to set a pw that will erase the phone if it's entererd wrong enough times in a row in a certain time span. Don't know if its leaves the pw up afterwards to cock-block the thief though

ronzo on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finally turn-by-turn directions apps. Nice.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Push notifications can include pop-up alerts, sounds, and App icon badges.

About fu seakay ing time.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    11:13 am Push notifications can include pop-up alerts, sounds, and App icon badges.

and welcome to iphone blinky shoot the squirrel pop up adds in the middle of all your stuff

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trentus wrote: »
    It would be nice if it would give you the phones current location on a map... If someone stole my phone, I'd like to be able to track them down, kick them in the balls and take my phone back.
    I think it does: Find My Phone image from demo...

Oh cool. Must've missed that. I think, once they release a new model, I'm going to have to march into an Optus store and demand they take all my money.

Trentus on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It would be nice if it would give you the phones current location on a map... If someone stole my phone, I'd like to be able to track them down, kick them in the balls and take my phone back.

HA oh God yes...

If anyone ever steals my iPhone, I'm putting on some military grease paint, getting some serious body armor from my military buds, grabbing my (legal - no full-auto) M4, a belt of ammo, and knocking politely on their door.....

misbehavin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    mastman wrote: »
    11:13 am Push notifications can include pop-up alerts, sounds, and App icon badges.

and welcome to iphone blinky shoot the squirrel pop up adds in the middle of all your stuff

the first time this happened i would probably piss myself laughing

or like a shock image or something

ronzo on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Uh.

Did anyone just hear audio that went something like:

'are you more afraid of sharks, or our economic climate?'

'I'm more afraid of sharks, blh blah blah blah'

Because I don't have a lot of things open on my PC, but I'm pretty sure I'm not hallucinating.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Imagine: Sharks

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    this whole "let one dev come here to show one game" thing could probably be left to the rest of WWDC

edit: if you buy a mac with leopard between now and the end of the year, its 10 for the snow leopard upgrade

ronzo on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    misbehavin wrote: »

HA oh God yes...

If anyone ever steals my iPhone, I'm putting on some military grease paint, getting some serious body armor from my military buds, grabbing my (legal - no full-auto) M4, a belt of ammo, and knocking politely on their door.....

I thought the civilian M4 was the AR-15?

I really want to know what the deal is with tethering.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this whole "let one dev come here to show one game" thing could probably be left to the rest of WWDC
    :^: Agreed.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't WANT to imagine sharks, I'm fucking terrified of sharks. SHARKS! Fuck the economy, can the economy smell ONE SINGLE drop of blood in a million hojillion gallons of water? I didn't think so.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    One thing you have to realize though, is that all US carriers have always been complete dicks when it comes to tethering. AT&T will support it, but you'll have to pay for a more expensive data package.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My guess how tethering will work with ATT:

You hook it up to your desktop/laptop and you find yourself surprised that it works.

A month later you notice your cell bill is about 300$ higher than normal.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

edit: if you buy a mac with leopard between now and the end of the year, its 10 for the snow leopard upgrade

they pay good money to get a keynote presentation

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I really want to know what the deal is with tethering.
    The deal with tethering is that AT&T noticed that people pay more for Apple products than for other comparable products. Therefore AT&T will be looking to put it in your butt in a very unfriendly way.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really don't care about these apps people...I just want to know the cool stuff (like when 3.0 is gonna be released and if they have any more cool stuff to release)

BobCesca on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    all apps require permission to use your location... except this one which can spy on you at any time from a remote location!

I wonder if you can turn this feature off. Probably not, but it still creeps me out.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wait. An app that lets me buy magazines? That...could be cool, I think. I dont understand what makes this app different than Kindle though.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One thing you have to realize though, is that all US carriers have always been complete dicks when it comes to tethering. AT&T will support it, but you'll have to pay for a more expensive data package.

cell phone companies, sadly, think very differently from the rest of us.

While a guy with a computer is likely to think something along the lines of: I own a computer that can play music, and I own a computer that can stream files, does that mean I can stream music? I can't think of why not...

A guy who owns a cell phone company is likely to think: "I own a cell phone company. How can I charge people for as many individual features as I can without losing money? With unreasonable fees for cancelling my shitty service, you say? Excellent. Bring forth the sacrificial puppy."

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I really don't care about these apps people...I just want to know the cool stuff (like when 3.0 is gonna be released and if they have any more cool stuff to release)

like i said, all this is doing is bugging the people watching, they would be better served waiting until the rest of the confrence to show people who directly care.

though i guess now people will definatly go looking for them, and apple gets more money

ronzo on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are we going to see new iPhone hardware? I know someone mentioned it wasn't likely due to all these app demos on the old hardware, but I think that's mroe of a ploy - if they show the hardware first, that's all people will be focusing on. They can save the new stuff until the end. There were just too many consistent rumors, from reliable sources for there to just be nothing.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oooh, the tomtom app might actually be neat.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    all apps require permission to use your location... except this one which can spy on you at any time from a remote location!

I wonder if you can turn this feature off. Probably not, but it still creeps me out.

you do realize that if your cell is on and has service, then the cell phone companies and more or less track you by cell tower triangulation?

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I doubt any crazy hardware showing. Maybe a price drop and some minor hardware stuff for later this year.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ego wrote: »

While a guy with a computer is likely to think something along the lines of: I own a computer that can play music, and I own a computer that can stream files, does that mean I can stream music? I can't think of why not...

A guy who owns a cell phone company is likely to think: "I own a cell phone company. How can I charge people for as many individual features as I can without losing money? With unreasonable fees for cancelling my shitty service, you say? Excellent. Bring forth the sacrificial puppy."
    In his defense, the cell phone guy is probably thinking, "I just spent 35 million dollars upgrading bandwidth so that users can stream music better. How the hell am I going to recoup this investment?"

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Are we going to see new iPhone hardware? I know someone mentioned it wasn't likely due to all these app demos on the old hardware, but I think that's mroe of a ploy - if they show the hardware first, that's all people will be focusing on. They can save the new stuff until the end. There were just too many consistent rumors, from reliable sources for there to just be nothing.

i said its not likely they will look any different. But it's still not impossible for there to be a under to hood uprage that most of us would like - better camera, more memory, better battery/cpu/ram

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like that car attaching thingy.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    Its more like

"People will pay an extra 15$ a month for this feature so why should I give it away for free?"

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Do telecomms still get their infrastructure subsidized by the gov't in the US?

you do realize that if your cell is on and has service, then the cell phone companies and more or less track you by cell tower triangulation?
    Yeah, but this is apparently allowing it to be piped through the intarwebz too. So if someone got a hold of your MobileMe account they'd know almost exactly where you are. Also, <other nefarious schemes>.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sigh. I have a feeling 3.0 is a 'later this summer' thing.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Ego wrote: »

In his defense, the cell phone guy is probably thinking, "I just spent 35 million dollars upgrading bandwidth so that users can stream music better. How the hell am I going to recoup this investment?"

except, and financial reports usually confirm this, the companies make money hand over fist even after upgrades like this. Its like the time warner thing from a month ago, they complain they dont have enough capital for upgrades when the books show like 30-50% increases in profits

ronzo on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    Its more like

"People will pay an extra 15$ a month for this feature so why should I give it away for free?"
    Haha. I don't doubt that either.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ug, more games

i see the point of stuff like turn by turn apps, or the medical stuff, because those are huge selling points to people who don't have one yet. Saying "hay, look at this one game from a dev/genre you might or might not care for" feels like a waste of time

e: gizmodo seems to think that a hardware update is getting less likely unless this thing goes another 30 minutes

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Do telecomms still get their infrastructure subsidized by the gov't in the US?

Yeah, but this is apparently allowing it to be piped through the intarwebz too. So if someone got a hold of your MobileMe account they'd know almost exactly where you are. Also, <other nefarious schemes>.

yeah, that's what I'm more worried about. But by being an AT&T customer I sort of trust them. I don't like the internet accessibility to my location or the DHS. But, I guess the last administration proved that was moot.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also adding "Plus Network" -- head-to-head play anytime, anywhere. The game is launching today for $5.99; 3.0 features available around when iPhone 3.0 OS is released.

DAMN IT.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    misbehavinmisbehavin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I feel like this is one of two things:

1) A "we have nothing more to say, so let's fill up time by showing some random crap"

or...

2) A "we have something HUGE to say, so we're gonna fuck with people, and as we're walking off stage, go 'oh yeah, one more thing...'"

misbehavin on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    Its more like

Haha. I don't doubt that either.

That's the thing, though. iPhone owners ALREADY pay out the ass for a data plan. Tethering doesn't add any additional strain to the network because internet access goes through the device that already had access to it...

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I did not blow off work to hear about Tower Defense games, especially a company that uses an emoticon in their name.

Besides, tower defense peaked with Tap Defense.

DietarySupplement on
This discussion has been closed.