As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm buying a new car in the US. (first time shopper)

eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hiyo!

What's got my attention so far is the Honda 2010 Insight EX.

The sticker at the dealership said $21,000

I told them I'd cut them a check for $17,000, no trade, no finance. They told me they couldnt go that low and I told them to call me if they changed their minds.

They called me this morning and said I should come back in and that they can probably get in that range.

Now, I'm not dead set on this Insight, so I've got a few questions for you carbuying vets.

1. I'm looking to spend under $20,000 with tax on pretty much any car.
2. I live in cleveland, so cars that are handy in the snow are great
3. I KIND of care about the environment. Only kinda though. I can sell my soul if I have to.
4. I don't want a used car.
5. 4 wheel drive would be great, but I really don't want an SUV unless it's got features that make it more gas and eco friendly.
6. where can i find "the going price" for new cars? I felt a little at a loss when the dealer was trying to show me his 'invoice price' on screen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
eatmosushi on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Edmunds.com will give you the dealer invoice price for a new car, and will also tell you what sales incentives the manufacturer is paying to dealerships. It's definitely key to have those two pieces of information before you make an offer. I mean, you want to know if that dealer's getting paid $1,000 to sell you the car, right?

I recently bought a Honda CR-V for a little over $21,000, and it's very possible you could get the lowest trim level for under $20,000. I guess it's technically an SUV, but it's more of a crossover really. AWD, decent fuel economy (I can get around 30MPG on the highway), ultra low-emission vehicle, runs on regular unleaded. Pretty great all around. Loads of space, too.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Look into the Subaru Imprezza non-turbo, kinda blah in the looks unless you get the wrx (but then you blow your budget and the turbo blows the mpg). The forester is also avery practical car, though it is a smallish suv. AWD puts these cars in demand in the northern climates.

Djeet on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    They will absolutely not let you cut them a check for $17k for the car. They are going to offer you $18k [tiny]plus taxes.[/tiny]

So $20k or so by the time you get around to writing the check.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    if they offer me 18k, what do i do?

take it?

say 18 if it includes tax and title?

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    if they offer me 18k, what do i do?

take it?

say 18 if it includes tax and title?

I'd take it if that's the car you want and you can cut a check for $18k and be done with it, but that's just me. Let's put it a different way: what can you find that would be a better deal? It's entirely up to you, but that looks like a very good price for that car.

On the other hand, if they bring you in and offer it at $18k, then try to get you to write a check for $20k, fuck 'em. That's not what you said you wanted initially, and they are wasting your time by calling you back.

Doc on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you offered $18,250 drive out they would probably bite. That would include tax, title and license, which would be about 1,800 on a $17k car.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://truecar.com/release/index.html

Better than edmunds.

Where do you live?

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    cleveland ohio

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    http://truecar.com/release/index.html

Better than edmunds.

Where do you live?

That website is awesome! And also tells me that someone probably lost their job for the deal I got 8-)

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    http://truecar.com/release/report/2010_Honda_Insight_5dr_CVT_EX.html?colorInfo=Not%20Available,Gray,21970.0000,0,2010%20Honda,Insight,5dr%20CVT%20EX,2010_Honda_Insight_Not_Available.jpg&trimId=309541&modelId=19002&zipcode=44101

This is what came up. I'd be quite surprised if they came down to your price, but with cash you should be able to get a pretty decent price. Maybe even better than "great" listed.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    that website makes me a bit worried.

if it says that the dealer PAID 18,325 for the car, how am I going to get it for 18,500?

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cause the dealer didn't pay $18,325 for the car. He borrowed $18,325 to get the car and is making payments until that car is sold. Once the car sells, the money you pay goes to pay off the note (minus any holdback).

You can get cars for under invoice, particular when people aren't buying and the dealership needs to make sales to stay above water.

I'm not saying you will get under invoice, just that it's certainly possible.

Djeet on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There is also little demand for hybrids right now in the US, and some dealers may have missed the mark on their orders for them. You are also coming up on the end of the quarter where it becomes a volume game with dealers, not a profit. If they can sell the car, even at a bit of a loss, they can gain that back when you use them (more often than not) for service and repairs as well as making it up on others who aren't as wise car shopping.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, sometimes they just need to move cars. However, the price you are quoting is for the LX, not the EX.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Last year I got a Scion tC for like 18.5k drive out. Brand new, the sticker price is like 17k or something. Scion doesn't do any of the haggling or price gouging; it's like buying milk. What you see is what you pay.

JRosey on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    tell me about the scion tc

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    To me, "no haggle" pricing means I end up paying welfare to the people buying cars who don't know how to negotiate.

I bet I could get a Scion dealer to haggle :)

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We're going to fuck you up the ass, and no haggling for a reacharound.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    We're going to fuck you up the ass, and no haggling for a reacharound.

How 'bout if I throw in some mudflaps?

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, Carmax doesn't haggle either and their prices are shitty too.

Penguindude: I was just quoted a price at 1,000 dollars (24,475) off of invoice (25,475) for a Subaru Forester X Limited. Shows you there is some room. Dealer cost is 24,575 right now, including holdbacks. Meaning they are selling $100 below their cost.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    JRosey wrote: »
    Last year I got a Scion tC for like 18.5k drive out. Brand new, the sticker price is like 17k or something. Scion doesn't do any of the haggling or price gouging; it's like buying milk. What you see is what you pay.

Offer a bit under, then start to walk off the lot, and watch that policy change.

Doc on