As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're gonna need an APB on There is No Subscription Fee

PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion.Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Social Entropy++
Holy Fuck

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/08/rps-at-e3-apb/#more-12701
Further delaying your start, as the video above shows, the customisation goes beyond being able to create characters so distinct and recognisable that they’re not going to bother with names floating above players’ heads - you’ll know someone when you see them. It also extends to tattoos, decals, clothes and vehicles. Creating designs in another in-game tool is so elaborate it looks like it should be its own £400 art software. Then with your created work, you can apply it as a skin tattoo, which will automatically absorb the pigmentation of the skin to which it’s applied, and adjust accordingly. It will naturally wrap itself around the part of the body to which it’s applied. Or perhaps you’d rather add it to clothing, where once again it is manipulated to look natural on the material to which it’s applied. Maybe you want it on your car - this time it will take on the sheen or shine of the vehicle, again appropriately wrapping itself to where you stick it, intelligently cutting itself off so it doesn’t obscure windows, windscreens, etc. You can then customise your vehicle, switch out body parts, wheels, even the in-car stereo.
The game? The game itself? This is where the truly astonishingly clever ideas appear. You’ll either play as a Criminal or an Enforcer. Each has a distinct style of play, and neither will ever have to sit in a lobby waiting for a game to play. With an intended 100 players on each server, the enormous city is also populated by NPCs who will play critical roles. Firstly they will serve as the city’s initial gangs, and give missions to players. Secondly, and far more interestingly, they also provide the means by which the game’s natural action flows. So let’s say you’re playing as a Criminal. You log into the city and want something to do right away. Why not steal a car? You may well get away with it. Take it out and go for a joyride, look for some trouble. Or you may not - you may get spotted by an NPC who will report the APB. Report it to other players playing as Enforcers. Who then come chasing after you.
This is beginning to sound like one of those late night infomercials where they presenter cries out, “BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE!” It doesn’t stop there. As Realtime Worlds’ founder Dave Jones explained, as they develop the game they keep thinking of other things that the player would prefer to be in control of. Which includes the music. So there’s a complete music creation tool in there. We were shown a couple of copyright infringing tunes that they’d made using the software (which will be an interesting thing to follow when the game comes out - it’s hard to see how the money-grabbing horrors in the various music industries won’t try and stamp their fat, stupid boots all over this) that demonstrated its capabilities. You can go so far as to create your own gloat tune, that will be heard by any player you kill.

Christ this could be amazing.

jkZziGc.png
Pharezon on

• Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    my dicks

they are coming

that character creation is pure fucking sex

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    the character creation looks pretty great
    I'm cautiously interested

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm more excited about the character creation abilities than the game at this point

it sort of sounds like an MMO version of GTA

Usagi on
    edited June 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    I'm more excited about the character creation abilities than the game at this point

it sort of sounds like an MMO version of GTA
    i fail to see the issue

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • DefenestratorDefenestrator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wonder if there will be a man-boob slider too. Fat dudes with rocking tits.

Defenestrator on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so this a launch title for the Phantom console

Weaver on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    customization at that level is pretty fucking crazy, yeah

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh god.

This game will be the death of me

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • TrustTrust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WANT.

Trust on
    We Stand Ready
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Neat looking. The character customization looks pretty cool, and the Cops N' Robbers gameplay sounds fun. Hope they can pull it off.

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2009
    Can you give your dudes back hair? I feel like I will be pressured into playing an urban youth when I'd rather be an aging, portly, Russian gangster.

Defenestrator on
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thank god somebody is doing something new with MMOs, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Is there an estimated release date yet?

Ten on
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm going to be so fat in this game.

GRMike on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Step 1: Reflective Aviators
    Step 2: Mustache
    Step 3: Beastie Boys - Sabotage

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks awesome. But I want an offline mode for my own private freakshow via the character customization.

Ed321 on
    edited June 2009
    I think you have steps one and two confused. The mustache is pivotal to your authority.

Defenestrator on
  • OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the only part I don't like about this is that it was cancelled for xbox and my pc is a five year old piece of shit

Oden on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oden wrote: »
    the only part I don't like about this is that it was cancelled for xbox and my pc is a five year old piece of shit

no it wasnt?

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
    edited June 2009
    shit

yes

Mr. Henry Bemis on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Neat looking. The character customization looks pretty cool, and the Cops N' Robbers gameplay sounds fun. Hope they can pull it off.

This is pretty much what I think, yeah.

Moriveth on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so i didn't read what this game is like about and i didn't read the OP. just watched the video, clicked the link, and saw the pictures.

so it's a game where you run out and get shot too fucking much?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you have steps one and two confused. The mustache is pivotal to your authority.

I see it as the camera panning down. Follow the glasses as they flip down to the eyes. Keep going to the mustache as the mouth grimaces. Follow down to the hand as it grabs the stick and shifts into gear. Tires squeal.

DAA DAA DAA dun dun

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    shit

yes

A whole squad of 1970's detectives... This game is getting more enticing.

GRMike on
  • OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zephyr wrote: »

no it wasnt?

but in the e3 thread they said it wasnt going to be released on the xbox anymore

Oden on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jesus this looks refreshing

not gonna lie though I'll probably waste most of my time playing with the character creator

only ever make it to level 4 before I get bored and start over

Vann Diras on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zephyr wrote: »

no it wasnt?

but in the e3 thread they said it wasnt going to be released on the xbox anymore
    In June 2009 a spokesperson from EA said "We’re not giving details out at the moment, but it is being developed for Xbox 360." [1]

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'm cautiously interested

pretty much this

it could be either brilliant or terrible

the fact that they are limiting servers to 100 players is very promising, though

MrMonroe on
    edited June 2009
    360, you say?

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh holy shit.

Where's humble?

I need the buddy to my cop.

DrZiplock on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is one MMO I would probably play if it was done right

I am cautiously optimistic

dunno if I'd play a cop or a gangster, though

Moriveth on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holyshit the guy in the character customization video SHUT UP FUCK

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would totally play a cop, not enough games where you get to stop crimes instead of commit them. Should be a different sort of challenge.

Ten on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh wait

I know exactly what I'm going to do when I start:

t-1000.gif

MrMonroe on
    edited June 2009
    police, son

i am so down for grinding 13 year olds into the dirt

Calamity Jane on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh my god

OH MY GOD

I love character creation so much. I had tons of fun with the creator in Saint's Row 2
    I made a pretty great me

n553435872_2022129_7176.jpg

Also this will likely be the game that forces me to buy a decent gaming laptop which I've been meaning to do for a while.

#pipe on
    edited June 2009
    #pipe wrote: »
    oh my god

OH MY GOD

I love character creation so much. I had tons of fun with the creator in Saint's Row 2
    I made a pretty great me

n553435872_2022129_7176.jpg

Also this will likely be the game that forces me to buy a decent gaming laptop which I've been meaning to do for a while.

So...

You're Kevin Smith?

DrZiplock on
    edited June 2009
    i hope there's some sort of sharing mechanism for all the creatable stuff

Calamity Jane on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2009
    this is the kind of game I would need to play on a 360

third person shooters and driving and whatnot

I'm making a lot of assumptions here!

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2009
    Saints Row 2 had fantastic character customization, this is true

and Zips, if you'd met pipe you'd realize how accurate that dude is to him

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Saints Row 2 had fantastic character customization, this is true

and Zips, if you'd met pipe you'd realize how accurate that dude is to him

I'm sure that it is.

It is also accurate for Kevin Smith.

Just saying.