As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Futurama - Bender's back, baby!

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010
    benderadorable.gif

Organichu on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    D'awwwwwwww...

Houn on
    edited July 2010
    and that was with 0 delay on each of the 130 frames in photoshop

i just suck at .gifs

but yes, d'awwww nonetheless

Organichu on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    doesn't the Bender plush that they have in one of the movies look almost exactly like baby Bender? the one that says something to the effect of "quit touching me, you pervert!"

my google-fu is apparently weak in this instance

Joolander on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So,

I turned 21 on Wednesday, and I was out till about midnight getting supremely liquored up, I woke up on Friday morning, still very drunk and watched this new episode of futurama.

Even in my still drunk state, I saw the ending coming from a mile away, but that music combined with the imagery... I cried.. manly manly tears for baby bender.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hahaha

Adobe Photo Shoppe

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    One joke that I think a lot of people missed: Hermes says "Sweet file not found of Puget Sound!" Puget sound refers to Seattle and surrounding towns including Redmond. This is of course where Microsoft (and many other tech companies) is located.
    And it's the area where Matt Groening went to college.

Hacksaw on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woo, Great episode, and if anyone is gonna whine about blah blah continuity over bender, just think of it this way, he was born multiple times, and the most recent backup didn't have a backup, becoming the last backup!

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited July 2010
    zoid.gif

Organichu on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    The cubical joke was fantastic.

<3 Cube

What was the joke? That the cubicles made a rubix cube of rubix cubes?

It's a spoof of this.

It was that, but it was also a rubix cube made of rubix cubes made of cubicles.. And it was herme's "get away desk" AND bender called the whole thing boring. It was awesome.
    Also this.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    so many jokes in one!

Captain Vash on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That whole sequence felt like 7 years of pressure, pent up and waiting for release. :D

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Considering bender is 4 years old and Hermies was like 10-20 younger in that flashback it was strange, but I will roll on for that fucking ending. They know the formula for tugging on the heartstrings.

Edit: The episode title "Lethal Inspection" is clever on several fronts too.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    zoid.gif

ZOIDBERG uses INK DEFENSE! It's super effective!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hermes eating a calculator to gain its power isn't a terribly funny gag ... until you imagine him trying to swallow the damn thing. "Sweet polynomial from San Antonio! *urp*"

emnmnme on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hermes eating a calculator to gain its power isn't a terribly funny gag ... until you imagine him trying to swallow the damn thing. "Sweet polynomial from San Antonio! *urp*"

I find it hilarious, especially regarding the line he says about 2 minutes later

"ADDITION NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING, mon"

Joolander on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Remember the present series is further in the future than the original series by like 5 years, so Hermes looking like 10 years younger makes sense since if it was 4 years ago in the original series it's like 10 years ago now.

Opty on
    edited July 2010
    tis true, the current year in futurama has always been present year for us +1000

Captain Vash on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah but hermes hasn't visibly aged over the past ten years.

Speed Racer on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    zoid.gif

How can a joke that stupid be that funny?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also considering its not the first time theyve used it

nexuscrawler on
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    zoid.gif

How can a joke that stupid be that funny?

that scene made me laugh out loud (hard, and for a good 10 seconds) in a way that television rarely does

Organichu on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What sells it is Zoidberg casually bidding them goodbye afterward

Speed Racer on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am liking that post-cancelling Futurama has embraced Zoidberg's arousal as an element to joke over.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

It wouldn't surprise me if we later learn that Bender is much older than he realizes. He could have been memory wiped.

Also wouldn't it be 14 years? If I recall correctly, we learned bender is four years old in the first season, which would put the date of his remembered birth at 2996, and the current date at 3010.

Still, that four years was hell to Hermes if that was the case.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really liked this episode. Quality wise, I'd have no problem putting it with the old episodes.
    Plenty funny, and even though I saw the ending coming, it was still very well done.

Based on the premise, I didn't expect much from this episode, yet it was fantastic. I really can't wait for next week's now, since the premise sounds absolutely hilarious.

TubularLuggage on
    edited July 2010
    My gut instinct is to feel like this was a really lame attempt to bring back the same kind of really well-done sentimentality from Leela's Homeworld or Luck of the Fryrish

but then I wonder if I am just being overly critical

Speed Racer on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »

It wouldn't surprise me if we later learn that Bender is much older than he realizes. He could have been memory wiped.

Also wouldn't it be 14 years? If I recall correctly, we learned bender is four years old in the first season, which would put the date of his remembered birth at 2996, and the current date at 3010.

o_O

Bender's at least 2000 years old at this point. Arguably much older.

Aroduc on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    He repeatedly went back in time to steal shit in the first movie. Wasn't he stuck for a thousand years at Roswell?

Couscous on
    edited July 2010
    You probably can't count all the times it happened in Bender's Big Score since he fucked it up and created a paradox at the end

Speed Racer on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2010
    You probably can't count all the times it happened in Bender's Big Score since he fucked it up and created a paradox at the end

Why not? His paradox time-clones exploded (DOOOOOMED), but the non-clone Bender who had been through all of the shit didn't. It just tore a hole in the universe, not reset everything.

Aroduc on
    edited July 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »

Why not? His paradox time-clones exploded (DOOOOOMED), but the non-clone Bender who had been through all of the shit didn't. It just tore a hole in the universe, not reset everything.

Which is why his stealing the Last Supper was an awesome joke, from that perspective.

Athenor on
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I thought this was a great episode, I agree that it really felt like the oldies.:)

Scotty on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sneak peek at the next 6 episodes. Some pretty crazy stuff in there. Can't wait!

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sneak peek at the next 6 episodes. Some pretty crazy stuff in there. Can't wait!

Those all look amazing. I am so happy.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Looks good to me, too. Though there's something terribly wrong with seeing Nibbler in a tiny sailor suit.

emnmnme on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally, some hot Professor on Zoidberg action!

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Looks a lot better than what I've seen so far.

I'll be honest. I quit watching 3 episodes in because I purposely put my expectations at unreachable goals.

Also, the mind-switching reminds me of Cammy's backstory in Street Fighter Alpha.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010

Add two years for time in his room.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

Add two years for time in his room.

And a thousand for being buried at Roswell.

-Loki- on