As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet Connection Problem - Cuts out frequently

TurnerTurner Registered User regular
edited October 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
deleted.

Turner on

• Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hook a computer directly to the modem. If you still get cut outs, hook up one of the other computers. If they both cut out, call comcast. Also, watch the modem's lights while you're doing this to see if anything funky is going on with them.

From what you're describing, I'd say its just as likely to be the router as the modem. Whether someone's hogging all the bandwidth by running torrents or something constantly at maximum speed or just the router being older or broken.

Resetting the router wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't have a problem when its out of the equation. I'm not sure if enabling a QOS engine in the router would help if someone was just being a bandwidth hog, but it couldn't hurt to try.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    alexhollizalexholliz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had a problem with this once, although (not similarly) my problem was with phone service from comcast.
    Whenever we'd attempt to torrent, or play anything online, our phone would cut out.

We called in a service rep, and he found our cable splitter for our two tv's. He (a very knowledgeable man) said that our splitter was the problem and gave us another; free of charge.

Look for a splitter.

If there aren't any, do all of the prescribed troubleshooting steps above, and then try swapping out routers with a friend or something.

(You can always have comcast come out, it is free...)

alexholliz on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Turner wrote: »
    Just moved into a new place in Burlington, VT. Connection is cable via Comcast, the modem is an old(er) Scientific Atlanta model, the wireless router is a Netgear MR814v2. The account is not in my name, which makes this somewhat more difficult to resolve, as I have to go through someone else to get in touch with Comcast.

Basically, the internet connection will cut out every 30 seconds to every minute (or so, it is hard to really pin down the exact timing). You will be trying to load a page and it will just stop responding, forcing you to constantly stop and reload webpages, hoping that it will load before the connection dies again.

When I first moved in I thought the connection was just very slow until I tried to watch something on youtube. I am only able to load ~30 second increments, watch that portion, then move the slider a bit, hit play, etc, etc, etc. All of this behaviour seems to indicate (to me, at least) that the connection cuts out.

I will note that the connection from the wireless router does not cut out, it is only the actual internet connection. This makes it difficult to diagnose/pin down, seeing as the only way of seeing whether it is working is trying to watch youtube or browse the web, and seeing whether the connection seems to die.

This is especially annoying because it makes it impossible to perform any sort of internet based transactions, since the connection will die halfway through and you do not want to hit reload/resend for fear of getting charged twice.

This problem also eliminates any sort of online gaming, since it is impossible to hold a connection. I play Eve-online, and am lucky to even get to the main character selection screen before my connection dies.

I have not yet tried hooking a single computer directly to the modem, although that is next on my to-do list. I DO know that the problem is present in multiple machines (4+) of varying operating systems, which seems to hint that it is not just my desktop messing around.

My list of things I kinda wanted to try/test out:
    - Could the router possibly be doing this? I wanted to try resetting the router (or finding a different/new one to put in its place) to see if it still did it.

- Loose cable connection? ethernet cable? coax?

- Actual problem with Comcast? It is somewhat worrying when you look up this problem on Google, I seem to get results implying that other people with comcast have had similar issues...the only trick is that there problems seem to all have been like 4 years ago. Bizarre.

There are a flock of med-school students upstairs who share this connection, and claim the problem is from Comcast starting lots of new accounts in our neighborhood, and the problem will die down in a week or two. This sounds like bullshit to me. Any thoughts?

Any help/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated, as this is pretty much my #1 priority right now.

Thanks!

The first step is to plug a computer into the cable modem directly and see what happens. My suspicion is that it's your router. Even if the router doesn't "cut out", if there are many connections and it is an old or unreliable router, and it's overheating, it may well lose DHCP.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I had this issue it was my router (POS LinkSys WRT54G v5), so I'll echo the other comments here and advise you to hook the computer to the modem directly so you can start eliminating other possible factors.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D