As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DDO] D&D Online now free to play!

• Options
    CaligoCaligo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey Guys.

I've got three buddies at work wanting to get into DDO. They've all signed up for the beta but for some reason I'm the only one that received a response. Some of them even have the gall to try to play on my account!

If anyone gets a spare beta key please let me know, so that I may pass it onto a willing accomplice.

Thanks!

Caligo on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It was said that turbine ate up some gmail addresses...

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone already got their beta keys? im waiting for it since tuesday,got nothing so far

AdditionalPylons on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well i bought this game when it came out and played for 6 months, id better get something for my money now that its freebie.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    CaligoCaligo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why you get anything? You got 6 months of play time. If you played during that 6 months you get the character that you built during that time.

If you decide to resubscribe you get the VIP stuff.

Caligo on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty sure the beta ends in 2 days

Going by when the beta subscription runs out, confirm or deny?

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So what does it mean by "stormreach and surrounding areas" for the freebie accounts? Does that mean we cant get past the harbour or what? I dont really understand their wording much. Stormreach is where the entire game takes place.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So what does it mean by "stormreach and surrounding areas" for the freebie accounts? Does that mean we cant get past the harbour or what? I dont really understand their wording much. Stormreach is where the entire game takes place.

Stormreach was initially the place to be and then they added far out locations past that...

Only they shuffled shit around. They changed it so that you do not start out in THE harbor but instead A harbor on an island where a White Dragon just fucked shit up. Same exact quests though only instead of undead and stuff, there is Sahuagin which apparently is pronounced Suh-wag-in instead of Saw-hue-uh-gin like it is pronounced everywhere else.

But yeah same exact quests, like the warehouse where there was slimes in the vases, nope! Just Sahuagin. Which is lame. And then I got to this one point where the quests directed me to a massive instanced outdoor area which was too huge and has a fog of war on it so I dont know where I am going and oh my god I cannot complete any of these quests because I bump into other quests, fuck this shit.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    schwawaggin

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think you won't be able to do things from about level 10 and up (Gianthold, Meridia, etc.) with a free account without spending some Turbine Points. I think you can do most individual quests (but not quest chains) in the Harbor, Marketplace and all 4 Houses.

Reiten on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm kinda assuming that the F2P stuff is basically whatever was available at launch.

I could be very, very wrong, though.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Btw. I wouldn't count on getting stuff from points from the game. I did a quest chain and got 10 turbine points.

That is not a lot.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Btw. I wouldn't count on getting stuff from points from the game. I did a quest chain and got 10 turbine points.

That is not a lot.

When you unlock more quests through TP though are they permanently attached to your account? Like can i unlock things permanently through TP that id normally have to pay $14 a month for? So i can eventually just no have to pay monthly at all and still get all the stuff?

Elimination on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That is not a lot.

When you unlock more quests through TP though are they permanently attached to your account? Like can i unlock things permanently through TP that id normally have to pay $14 a month for? So i can eventually just no have to pay monthly at all and still get all the stuff?

Yes they are perm unlock.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That is not a lot.

To get a warforged character, it costs 300 points for example. Sorry but I think you will still need to plug in some cash into the game.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Without paying, how many points do you think you can get in a month?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Without paying, how many points do you think you can get in a month?

I dont know because I haven't played for more than a week. Honestly, if you want to get your points from just playing, you have to have a loooot of time on your hands. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to earn points from playing the game. Just buy whatever parts of the game that interest you, and go from there.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That is not a lot.

To get a warforged character, it costs 300 points for example. Sorry but I think you will still need to plug in some cash into the game.

You didnt actually read my entire question did you? o_O I wasnt talking about not putting money in, i was asking if my investments into the unlocks were permanent and if i could just unlock everything with money instead of paying $14 and therefor avoiding a monthly fee but still having everything unlocked for myself.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You didnt actually read my entire question did you? o_O I wasnt talking about not putting money in, i was asking if my investments into the unlocks were permanent and if i could just unlock everything with money instead of paying $14 and therefor avoiding a monthly fee but still having everything unlocked for myself.

As I understand things, at least all of the gaming content is permanent unlock. I think the premium races are as well. I'm not so sure about the 32pt builds. If you unlock that by favor, it will always be open. If you unlock it by points, I'm not sure if you have to pay each time you make a new 32 pt build or if you unlock it for all new characters.

Reiten on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

So in essence, paying for everything up front rather than a monthly fee, essentially setting up a 'lifetime subscription' situation for yourself.

I don't know the answer, just trying to clarify the question a bit.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

So in essence, paying for everything up front rather than a monthly fee, essentially setting up a 'lifetime subscription' situation for yourself.

Yes exactly. Thats what i was wondering. I dont really want to pay a monthly fee but i wouldnt mind paying as i go to unlock features i care about.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yes exactly. Thats what i was wondering. I dont really want to pay a monthly fee but i wouldnt mind paying as i go to unlock features i care about.

You still are going to need to play an extremely long time to accumulate any points. I must have been playing for a week and got maybe 50 bonus turbine points which amasses to literally nothing. You don't just unlock stuff as you go along. Its not as simple as "Oh look, I'm level two now and I can now buy a warforged character, drow character, extra character slots, and the other half of the game."

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The question should be how many TP u can get weekly at Lv 20.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You still are going to need to play an extremely long time to accumulate any points. I must have been playing for a week and got maybe 50 bonus turbine points which amasses to literally nothing. You don't just unlock stuff as you go along. Its not as simple as "Oh look, I'm level two now and I can now buy a warforged character, drow character, extra character slots, and the other half of the game."

I was talking about buying the points, ive never once spoke of earning them through gameplay, you keep not reading the whole post. o_O

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Um, yeah! Thats the whole point to the turbine store and making the core game free. Its that you can put in a few bucks towards the game and play only the content that you want. This entire model was built on being a cash cow, it wouldn't make sense to have it all be earned through achievements in game because the achievements in game provide such a low amount of points. D:

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Speaking of this the beta just started and as someone who never once played this I think this should be interesting.

Too bad monk is a pay class.. but clearly because monk is the best.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    VolitorVolitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just got an e-mail that I was accepted to the Beta. Anyone else on? Is it even worth downloading?

Volitor on
    I own face.
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Volitor wrote: »
    Just got an e-mail that I was accepted to the Beta. Anyone else on? Is it even worth downloading?

I think so. I've settled in as a human ranger for the time being, and that's most likely what I'll use when it goes live. I'm enjoying it so far.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well i enjoyed it when i paid to play it, but i stopped paying because of lack of content. But as a F2P game it should be more than worth it. Its definately prettier than WoW and has deeper character building.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well i enjoyed it when i paid to play it, but i stopped paying because of lack of content. But as a F2P game it should be more than worth it. Its definately prettier than WoW and has deeper character building.

Yup, u can build retarded characters.
    18 int Fighter with 6 cons for example.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dis wrote: »

Yup, u can build retarded characters.
    18 int Fighter with 6 cons for example.

The best is when you run into players who dont know wtf they are doing and equip weapons without having the proficiency for them, and become absolutely useless !

Elimination on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw that about the Clerics being overpowered. They are in the pen and paper too, so it doesn't surprise me that this carries over to the game.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I might be missing something here but from what I played this looked and played like absolute ass. I kept hearing how great the combat system is in this but it's just walk up to enemy and hold attack down..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That would be the general idea, yes.

That or aiming at them and pressing the attack button.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I might be missing something here but from what I played this looked and played like absolute ass. I kept hearing how great the combat system is in this but it's just walk up to enemy and hold attack down..

i played it with a group of IRL friends and i was our group Sorcerer and we had a blast. One person played a paladin, another a rogue, i played sorcerer and we had a girl who played as a Cleric. It was really fun when played with a good group, and if you weren't a straight up just fighter or something there was way more to combat than just holding down attack, especially when you got into boss battles.

Elimination on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game gets huge points for allowing you to run through the sewers with an army of kobolds wearing pink hats decimating all in their path.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    JaedlynJaedlyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've been playing DDO since release, currently on the Ghallanda server. It's a nice relaxing setting to log into every now and then, if your a power gamer who eats through content you'll probably get bored fast, even faster with the F2P content.

If you take your time, and are willing to be creative and have fun, its a great experience. Not to mention building a character and watching it grow as you level, especially when you try out something new and unexpected and actually have it work.

If anyone is thinking about trying out the game, I would go for it during the DDO Unlimited release, a good deal of the fun you have in the game is tied around who you end up playing with, if your a new player and all you end up grouping with are the veterans who just want to get things done as fast and efficiently as possible because they no longer have souls, your going to find the game an ugly place pretty fast trying to learn. Finding and playing with a group of people who can nurture you is pretty much essential.

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jaedlyn wrote: »

If you take your time, and are willing to be creative and have fun, its a great experience. Not to mention building a character and watching it grow as you level, especially when you try out something new and unexpected and actually have it work.

Or have it ends up Broken and you have to restart with a new character :lol:

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I kept hearing how great the combat system is in this but it's just walk up to enemy and hold attack down..

If you're good enough, you can dodge many attacks...even melee ones. Having the right build helps this. Ranged attacks can be dodged if there is space. Sometimes it is just hold attack down, but it plays much more like a FPS than most MMO where facing often doesn't even matter or it is all automated for you.

Reiten on
  • Options
    JaedlynJaedlyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    Jaedlyn wrote: »

Or have it ends up Broken and you have to restart with a new character :lol:

Hey, some of the most fun I have is playing G.I.M.Ps!

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=181904

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
This discussion has been closed.