As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FireFox] Videos lock up. [Safari] CMD-Click: Possible to open as a non-active tab?

Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Mac OSX 10.5.7 - Browser Trouble!

My FireFox Problem:
I'm considering switching from FireFox to Safari 4. FireFox locks up playing videos every 10 seconds. The audio doesn't skip, but the video freezes up then unfreezes. It's very jarring, and a problem unique to FireFox - I don't have this problem with Opera or Safari. Additionally, FireFox is way, way slower with Java and Flash for no good reason at all - I think it's something specific to my computer and not a FireFox problem but nonetheless, I currently use two browsers: one for media (Safari) and one for web surfing (FireFox).

FireFox used to be so bad that it wouldn't open Flash, period. I installed an add-on called MediaWrap and it fixed this, but everything's still slow as molasses.

Since I can't switch over to Firefox because of its video problem, I'm considering making the switch to Safari. But there are a few things I don't want to get used to - I want to change them, and Safari doesn't seem to be too customizable! Not a good thing since I have used FireFox for years (I'm on the latest version of FireFox, by the way).

My Safari Problem:
When I CMD-Click a link in Safari, it opens a new tab and makes it an active window. I know I can do CMD-Shift-Click to open the tab as a "non-active" link, but I want to make it so that CMD-Click has this function (it's what I'm used to on my Windows computer, where it was Ctrl-Click, and now I'm used to it on my Mac, where it's CMD-Click in FireFox). Is this possible? I see people saying you can do stuff in Terminal, but that's absurd that I need to go and open up Terminal to do something this fundamental. :( Heck, if someone has a fix for the video lock-ups, go ahead and suggest that!

Black Ice on

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When's the last time you updated Flash? I believe youtube uses Flash to play videos, so that in conjunction with your other Flash problems would point to that. I don't know why that would only affect Firefox and not Safari, but if you haven't updated it in a while it's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work or you've already done it recently, have you tried reinstalling Firefox?

Smasher on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »
    My Safari Problem:
    When I CMD-Click a link in Safari, it opens a new tab and makes it an active window. I know I can do CMD-Shift-Click to open the tab as a "non-active" link, but I want to make it so that CMD-Click has this function (it's what I'm used to on my Windows computer, where it was Ctrl-Click, and now I'm used to it on my Mac, where it's CMD-Click in FireFox). Is this possible? I see people saying you can do stuff in Terminal, but that's absurd that I need to go and open up Terminal to do something this fundamental. :( Heck, if someone has a fix for the video lock-ups, go ahead and suggest that!

tabs.png

Open Safari Preferences (Safari menu > Preferences, or Command+,) and choose the Tabs section of the Preferences menu. In there will be the option "When a new tab or window opens, make it active"; untick this, and opening a new tab through Cmd+Click will from then on simply open it as an inactive tab immediately following your currently-open tabs.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vulpine, I looked at that menu and completely didn't see that checkbox. No wonder there weren't any results in Google for it. Thank you so much.

Smasher, I have updated and re-installed Flash numerous times - I'm definitely running the newest version. I haven't tried reinstalling FireFox because I'm apprehensive about losing bookmarks, passwords, and things of that nature. Call it lazy :( I had always heard Macs didn't have problems with programs and reinstallations "were never necessary like in Windows." I guess that was BS? That's the primary reason I haven't tried it, to be honest.

Black Ice on