As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do you do in a VAST UNIVERSE? Blow stuff up! Browser game invasion!

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Looking at the numbers, I'm starting to regret my previous habit of only upgrading the first tier of resource buildings to only five, and then moving straight on to the second tier. With the exception of using up more of your population, the first tier is starting to seem more efficient in regards to consumption to output, at least in my empire.

Of course, there's the building costs and progress requirements to consider as well, but it still caught me off guard that they aren't all around upgrades. I guess I'll have to watch the numbers a bit more closely.

I usually shoot the first tiers up to 5 initially, then slowly get them up to 8 or 9 as I have resources to spare while building up the second tier.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So i caved and started playing this game anyways. I'm still pretty small time but go ahead and add me.

ID 1950

I'm trying to go for the Empire's approach, billions upon billions of people and flying death traps to attack you with. Here's my stats.

Empire Statistics
    Consumptions : Energy :1 Organic :1 Mineral :1
    Race Picks
    Adaptivity 150 %
    Resources Output : 150 %
    Developing : 120 %
    Researching : 130 %
    Ship Building : 100 %
    Power : 100 %
    Armor : 50 %
    Shields : 50 %
    Speed : 100 %
    Scanner : 50 %

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    An invite's been sent. Check the Federation link at the top of the screen to accept it.

Those stat picks should work pretty well.

----

Finally! My space stations are now queued up for construction. BATTLECRUISERS GO!

----

[Edit]

Also, I'm now starting to think I misjudged the intent of the Ratoidz fleets that keep parking on my planets. It looks like earning the trust of a Ratoidz officer causes that particular planet to start sending its ships to the colony that received him as an extra line of defense, rather than keeping them in orbit around their home planet. I think I'll start leaving them alone unless they start picking fights with my ships.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've almost got enough to finally get space station 5, but at least I can build a battleship with 9605 attack and 8244 armor + shields, which will soon get an upgrade once proton finishes so i can put on some proton torpedoes.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Do you need an embassy to be invited into a fed?

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes, you need an embassy in order to be invited into a federation. A level 1 embassy will do.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Level 4 space station going up.

First level 5 should probably happen tomorrow.

I am a hamster on a wheel.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    1989 wants to join PEINS, though my embassy won't be done for another 40 minutes.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OP really needs to be updated. Maybe we should start a new thread.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Invitations sent to CynicJexter and MeowMix.

I've got a question, should i go out and colonize more planets as soon as possible or should i wait until i've overpopulated/used up my home planet. Basically will it net me more resources to do so?

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You should colonize as soon as possible, till you at least have 10 colonies. After that, they start to get pretty pricey.

I have been waiting on building battleships until I get plasma shards. But computers tech is $$$

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does anybody know if there is a reason to not just put all plasma shards on a ship rather than different weapons.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm not really sure. I plan on continuing to use some of the lower end weapons, if for no other reason than the fact that if my ships are going to be vaporized by plasma satellites or whatever, I might as well use ships that won't cost me as much to build (and replace), and pour the savings into facilities and research, which can't be damaged by attacks.

----

[Edit]

Just a heads-up for everyone: the game devs are planning on adding the ability to bomb planets and destroy their structures, which means among other things the ability to wipe out annoying Ratoidz colonies.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    Cerebral WolfCerebral Wolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's not 100% true, we're still only talking about the idea and it's going to be tested on another server.

Bombing will probably be only for NPC's though and not PVP... cause let's be honest, us goons would abuse it...

Also, sorry been away for a few days.. i see some questions asked earlier on but not sure if they got answered, if anyone wants to ask any questions here i'll happily answer them as best as i can.

For now PROTIP: Racial attributes, change scanner to 50% strenght and resource output to 150% it will help you a hell of a lot.

Cerebral Wolf on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hrm. I have 4 colonies now, at 7 days old, should I stop expanding and work on my economy/tech?

Zandracon on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    eeeee I have shuttles now

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stop expanding when making new colonies is too painful. Like 32k painful kind of thing.

In other news, getting 8 spaceports per colony sure makes it easy to balance your resources.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Haha, I've been researching all this junk, and pumping up my output, and I probably could have put most of those resources toward colonization satellites.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Hrm. I have 4 colonies now, at 7 days old, should I stop expanding and work on my economy/tech?

God no!

Keep going till you can't afford to get new colonys.

I could easy have 16-18 bases by now but i've stuck on 15 for the moment.... partly cause i had over 10,000 ships of mine killed the other day and i've had to replace them...

Also, if you guys are short of any resources, i'll trade you anything you need if you put it up at a 2:1 ratio for cash...

I'm filling any trade's i see that people need if they are setting a good price for it, there's one guy who buys about 50 lots of energy from me a day for 3200 cash for 1600 energy.

Cerebral Wolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    10,000 ships.

I was happy cus I built 100 today.

:(

wakkawa on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have one ship. It's orbiting a planet a few systems away, so I can see further away to look for good colony sites.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How important are really good colony sites? They all seem to be pretty reasonable.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I could easy have 16-18 bases by now but i've stuck on 15 for the moment.... partly cause i had over 10,000 ships of mine killed the other day and i've had to replace them...

This raises a good question as a new player increases their colonies: how much defense is good? I'm still tromping toward some of the basic shield technologies as I build out to other worlds, but at what point should I start cranking out fighters and in what number?

Paradiso on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    well, no one can attack you when you're a noob and attacking a planet has some dangers to it as planets have natural defenses now. So, no big rush.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Paradiso wrote: »

This raises a good question as a new player increases their colonies: how much defense is good? I'm still tromping toward some of the basic shield technologies as I build out to other worlds, but at what point should I start cranking out fighters and in what number?

Defense is pretty much shit right now, looking at the forums. Loading up satellites with plasma shards looks to be the order of the day.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Defense on your planets is not easy at all, we're trying to find a solution that everyones happy with at the moment...

personally i just have a small number of plasma shard satatlies there to stop noobs from hitting them and have all of my fleet sat on a level 10 warp gate in the middle of the galaxy so i can get anywhere i need to pretty quickly.

As for new colony sites, it's pretty well balanced that all planets are fairly "good" some are better than others but it depends on what your racial stats are and what your population uses..

Most people here i expect have it using 1 energy, 1 organic and 1 mineral so stick with planets that are balanced and close to the sun.

Personally i have my population using 1 organic and 2 mineral so i have lots of energy spare to sell on the market and i can cherry pick planets that are close to the sun but have a very large mineral count to keep my fleet going.

Cerebral Wolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Attacking planets really isn't worth it unless you have a couple hundred thousand in cargo space is it?

Also, are there any bigger cargo modules? Or whats the best way to get cargo. Build a bunch of smaller ships, or battleships with 16000 worth of cargo space?

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You can get by with at least a few dozen thousand in cargo space. As long as you pull in more loot than you lose from ships getting shot down by planet defenses, it's still worth it. Just make sure you're prepared to defend your colony if you try looting the Ratoidz. The bot's now attacking back with multiple fleets against colonies with commanders, and mixing in more fighters among them. I keep my cargo fleets parked nearby instead of directly on my planets when I log off, so that the rats don't nibble away at them.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hmm so are automated factories worth it or are they a ripoff like the 2nd level of resource buildings?

I notice it says they produce all resources and yet they consume 6 energy but give none back and i'm kinda low on energy. How much do they increase develompent capacity?

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The game doesn't show exactly how much they boost development, but the resources they do provide are still useful. Also, you're going to need at least a level 10 automated factory if you intend on going for space stations and the other orbital structures. Build up a couple extra power plants if you're running low on energy, or colonize an energy-rich planet and transport some of the energy that colony produces to the one that's low.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah i went and saw that after i posted, had a look at the requirements for buildings and ships and the like. You pretty much have to upgrade to all the resource chewing monsters at some point. boo.

There are a couple of small moons outside my cluster that produce like 36 energy. Might be time to go make some more Colony Drop class sattelites and grab them up.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Automated factorys also reduce the time it takes to make more buildings...

They are worth it for what they give you in return for what they use.

Basically what it says they give and what it says they use is worked out like this:

What is uses is a flat rate, if it says it uses 2 energy and 10 organic it will reduce your hourly income by 2 energy and 10 organic.

If it say's it increases your organic by 5 and your minerals by 5 that's 5 per population member.

So if you've got 10 people on your planet it's 5x10 minerals and 5x10 organic.

Cerebral Wolf on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Basically what it says they give and what it says they use is worked out like this:

What is uses is a flat rate, if it says it uses 2 energy and 10 organic it will reduce your hourly income by 2 energy and 10 organic.

If it say's it increases your organic by 5 and your minerals by 5 that's 5 per population member.

So Automated Factories do not use the planet's organic and mineral stats in their output formula?

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I could use an invite

Kazhiim

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    damn Ratoidz... is that silly AI thinks he can block out the sun with the husks of it's destroyed ships.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I could use an invite

Kazhiim

You've been invited, check your federation panel.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    yay

now gimme yer zennies

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Dizzen wrote: »

So Automated Factories do not use the planet's organic and mineral stats in their output formula?

Ah, that's what it is! Sorry, all the formulas are a little weird in this game..

It's 5 x (Number base number on planet) no population, it's money that's generated by number of population..

Cerebral Wolf on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    damn Ratoidz... is that silly AI thinks he can block out the sun with the husks of it's destroyed ships.

"The killbots? A trifle!"

Also colony 5 and 6 should be on their way in less than seven minutes!
    If colony 6 doesn't cost too much.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And the mighty WANG grows larger!

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png