As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What do you do in a VAST UNIVERSE? Blow stuff up! Browser game invasion!

• Options
    AmygdalaAmygdala Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, Space Stations are fucking expensive. The second level costs almost 100.000 combined resources D:

Amygdala on
    spec.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what are we talking about long-term here. Is there a long-term? Or is this just a "grow grow grow grow GROW" game?

Do they have rounds and resets, or will the leaders forever benefit from their six-month head start.

I guess I'm asking what our context is here.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    BraincowBraincow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There should be resets, but I'm not sure. The game is in beta, after all. I don't think anyone really knows what the long term game plan is.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    Atramental GhostAtramental Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As of now, I'm just treating my empire as a virtual pet. Figuratively feeding it and meeting its needs to make it grow big and strong.

Atramental Ghost on
    de8j12.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, how do I do stuff faster? Everything is a 30-60 minute wait, now. And I keep running out of random resources...

Seeing new things at 0 pop up to build my first of is fun. But I don't seem to be, you know, going anywhere. Just slowly building/researching things.

Oh, launched a probe. It can't...do anything. Hmm. Well I've sent it to orbit a planet. It doesn't really give me any more information or anything...so what's the point of probes? I'm one step away from being able to start a new colony or two, just need the last piece of technology.

Argh, out of energy...can't build colony rocket. I want those moons. Speaking of which...on the star map, what does it mean if a planet's name is underlined? And what's an asterisk after a player's name on that screen mean?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Everything, from planets to probes to battleships, has its own Radar rating. The higher it is, the further you can see.

A single probe isn't going to see much further than the star you station it in, due to its small size. You don't need it in stars where you have colonies, since your planets have radars about as strong as a probe's. Just move it around to neighboring stars, so you can look for more colonization spots. Stack a bunch of radars in a larger hull, though... There does seem to be a a point where putting more radars ends up giving you diminishing returns. Just find a balance that works for you.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the info, although that still leaves a few questions unanswered.

Do you get your resources on the hour, or...? I need 1000 energy to build a ship...and I have 97.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Bill CosbyBill Cosby Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    build some power plants, ships can wait.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Resources seem to be on an hourly basis, yeah. Where's the planet you need the energy at? I have some ships available that can bring some over to you, if you're willing to wait for them to arrive.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Getting going on this myself, in game is kdrudy #1780 if I could become a jolly WANGer as well.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've already got five plants, don't have the energy (ha) to research two more levels of Energy for Nuclear. There's a guy with like 15 colonies already that's moving into my area. So, I really wanted to snag the two moons here before he gets them. I guess I'm going to have to build some more plants and recover for a bit, though.

http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/nav/index/-2:10:60.hum

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh did you use your support points? If not then put those into the resource bonus.

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There.

My ships are on their way. They should arrive in about six hours. Is 10k energy enough?

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Goddamn it, I need to build another embassy.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Apparently I spent the first 12 on another free week? I didn't realize it until after I'd clicked the button, it wasn't clear what was going to happen. I've got eight more, now, after building things.

I can see the fleet on radar, actually. Thanks! Yes, that should be enough to build the ships and take over those moons. I sent my probe wandering off to check other systems...does it keep track of where it's been, or do you have to leave it in a system to get a reading on it?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Planet (-21:15:82)
    Planet Name: Cadia

Available : 316 20100 19223 164135
    Basically, I need some damn energy. I will gladly pay someone sweet sweet moneys for such a thing. I dont know how to load up a ship of my own with crap. But i will spraypaint your name on the side of a shuttle and fill that bitch with hundred dollar bills.

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Jesus, did you get automated factories to like lvl 10? how do you not have energy to spare?

Bill Cosby on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You can trade moneys for energy 5:1 at the "System Trade" in the spaceport. It's practically the only thing money is good for.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't have a spaceport hahahaha.
    Command Center 5 456 304 608 380 1:24:58 s busy
    Habitat 6 342 456 912 342 1:03:44 s busy
    Power Plant 9 1538 2307 2307 1154 5:22:37 s busy
    Farm 7 855 684 684 1026 2:23:23 s busy
    Mines 5 380 304 304 456 1:03:44 s busy
    World Bank 4 304 304 152 304 42:29 s busy
    Shipyard 4 405 355 355 507 1:10:48 s busy
    University 5 760 532 608 760 1:46:13 s busy
    Automated Factories 3 675 507 507 844 47:12 s busy
    Nuclear Plants 4(5) 1519 1899 1519 2279 2:07:27 s busy
    Hydroponics Farm 3 675 507 1182 844 56:39 s busy
    Deep Core Mining 1(2) 675 450 338 450 37:46 s busy
    Embassy 2 338 563 338 675 1:15:31 s

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Energy has always been my choke point on this planet. the others have had problems with food, and it seems my toxic planets dont have enough minerals. If only i could afford a cargo shuttle :(

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I may put my plans for a Space Station on hold for now... I spotted a sweet 40 energy toxic planet that I want to grab before anyone else does... I've got a real deficit of energy on all of my planets, and that would help out tremendously.

Also, someone was asking earlier about the 'Tick' rate for the game. Resources are dolled out on the 15's and the 45's of the hour. Two ticks an hour.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Um, can someone tell me why a fleet would ever just straight up vanish? Because my colony ship is gone and I have no idea what happened to it.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Got my first colony ship all ready to go and...need 1000 energy.

Guess I'll have to wait until morning.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Um, can someone tell me why a fleet would ever just straight up vanish? Because my colony ship is gone and I have no idea what happened to it.

Is it hidden in a fleet somewhere? Maybe go into the empire -> designs screen and see if you have a colony ship built.

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So help me understand this: Regular power plants produce 2 energy, but don't consume any, right?

Nuclear power plants consume 2, but output 3, in addition to costing way more and consuming more of everything else. Does that mean the net output of a nuclear power plant is 1? How is that better?

This seems to be true of all the upgraded production structures. They produce 3, but consume 2 of whatever they produce.

Six on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Braincow wrote: »

Is it hidden in a fleet somewhere? Maybe go into the empire -> designs screen and see if you have a colony ship built.

You're right, false alarm. It merged with the probe that was already there. I didn't realize the fleets auto-merged.

Six: Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the costs are flat but the outputs are more like multipliers that will generate an output based on the planet's resource values.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The numbers for consumption and output mean different things. Consumption is a straight-up listing of how much it consumes each tick. The output, on the other hand, is a multiplier, which is combined with the planet's stat (and your empire's bonus stats) to determine how much is produced each tick. Power plants have a multiplier of 2, which when combined with an average planet, produces about 50-60 energy per tick. Nuclear plants have a multiplier of 3, so they generate about 75-90 per tick.

[Edit]

Shipyards seem to have a limit on the number of fleets they can support. Fleets auto-merging are a sign of reaching your limit. Build higher level shipyards, and build them at more of your colonies.

TheRoadVirus: Don't bother with a cargo *shuttle*. Cargo modules require no crew, and can be crammed into satellites, which are cheaper and quicker to build than shuttles.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Awesome, that makes sense.

Six on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Found out what those recycling numbers mean! :O
    WOLF Rinaldo msg 2009-06-22 04:24:35 PM

the pct of ressource you get back from the ship that you scrap above it

Braincow on
    Brainchow.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I keep distributing my points and staying within the limits, but every time I click submit, it just resets the form. What am I doing wrong?

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are you making sure to use up all the points allotted to you?

Racial consumption rates have to total 3, and the other attributes have to total 100. Any lower or higher, and it won't be accepted.

[Edit]

I think those asterisks that show up by the name of a planet's owner are there to mark planets that have debris that's available to collect.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yes, my total is 3 in the top section (0-2-1) and 100 (10-15-12-11-10-10-8-8-8-8) in the bottom section. I've tried a few more times, but it always just resets the form :(

Ok, now it seems that if I leave everything at the defaults, it will let me proceed, but if I go back and try to alter them, it just resets the form again. Argh!

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ok, so I finally got into the game and appear to be sharing the system with a WANGist name snookiebear. Please don't kill me!

I'll get an embassy up asap, then ask for an invite.

Oh, and since we're apparently doing this:

http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1840

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
  • Options
    ZachardeZacharde Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok, so I finally got into the game and appear to be sharing the system with a WANGist name snookiebear. Please don't kill me!

I'll get an embassy up asap, then ask for an invite.

Oh, and since we're apparently doing this:

http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1840

Looks like we get a week to build up our defenses before we can be attacked. Sweet. I can stop compulsivly checking my scanner

Zacharde on
    "For future reference, I was sort of hoping for a suggestion that didn't sound like it came from that Bolshevik Muppet with all the dynamite."
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game helps pass the time while I do work. Im located at Star (7:10) - Planet (7:10:61), surrounded by some goons though.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    What the?

My ships have arrived at their destination, but the game won't let me unload their cargo. D:

[Edit]

Damn it. Really sorry, TRV, but it looks like I can't transfer any of my resources to you.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Space station completion time... 2 hours and counting. Here come the solar collectors!

e: HOLY CRAP. Level 5 space station required for solar collectors... Level 1 space station is 5000 energy, 12000 organic, 8000 mineral and 35000 money... level 2 is 7500 energy, 18000 organic, 12000 mineral and 52500 money... Solar collectors will wait.

Orbital Labs and Orbital Shipyards come at level 2, and orbital biospheres at level 3.

Also, taking my ninth planet now... someone snatched my Toxic planet from my just after I launched my own colony in that direction... hopefully my crystal planet with 39 energy production and 41 mineral will not fall to some wayward conqueror.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In on this as norgoth I'd 1818. Just started but I feel like browser game + iPhone will mean I ain't never gona stop checking my build que

Norgoth on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorry 1848, for some reason I can't edit my last post.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah...I checked in and saw your ships should be there. I don't seem to have any more energy or an option to trade with you or anything. Oh well, guess I'm just waiting a long while for more energy to slowly appear.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png