As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles - My plastic men can beat up your plastic men

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ultros64 wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I figure buying the dude a beer or two will pay for that one.

you may get dick punched

Eh, I still had the PoK. I'll let him roll a D6, if he gets a 1 he can dick punch me.

What is a PoK? Some kind of ward save?

a ward save that is taken at the attackers strength

only you have to roll under it

a 6 always fails

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009

you may get dick punched

Eh, I still had the PoK. I'll let him roll a D6, if he gets a 1 he can dick punch me.

Pendant of Khaeleth, the most broken item in the game. For 35 points, it gives you a ward save where you have to roll the strength of the hit or under to save. So, if you get hit by S5 or higher it's essentially like having a 2+ ward save, only with a 6 being a failure.

EDIT - Ah, Pip, don't forget the equal to part!

A duck! on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

you may get dick punched

Pendant of Khaeleth, the most broken item in the game. For 35 points, it gives you a ward save where you have to roll the strength of the hit or under to save. So, if you get hit by S5 or higher it's essentially like having a 2+ ward save, only with a 6 being a failure.

So, Snotlings would be the counter to that.

Which would involve charging Snotlings into a Dreadlord.

what

EDIT: Oh, and has anyone fought an Organ Gun? Are they worth the points? y/n

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    edited June 2009

you may get dick punched

So, Snotlings would be the counter to that.

Which would involve charging Snotlings into a Dreadlord.

what

EDIT: Oh, and has anyone fought an Organ Gun? Are they worth the points? y/n

Oh Lord I hate fighting Organ Guns. I consider people who take 2 in 1k games to be total assholes. As for low S attacks, that what armor saves are for. Things get even more crazy if you give the dude the Armor of Eternal Servitude (one of the most underpriced magic items in the game).

A duck! on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think the PoK is as broken as it would be for other armies for the simple fact that Dreadlords are only toughness 3, and are suffering a lot more wounds than other lords.

Speaking of which, what are some good outfits for a Dreadlord on a Black Dragon?

jackisreal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    jackisreal wrote: »
    I don't think the PoK is as broken as it would be for other armies for the simple fact that Dreadlords are only toughness 3, and are suffering a lot more wounds than other lords.

Speaking of which, what are some good outfits for a Dreadlord on a Black Dragon?

2 hydras

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dreadlord on Cold One, Armor of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Khaeleth, mundane shield. 1+ armor save, reverse ward save, regen.

If you hit him with low str attacks, he has a 1+ armor save. If you hit him with high str attacks he has what amounts to a 2+ ward save. Either way he has 4+ regen on top of that.

Yeah, good luck killing that cockmaster. The fucker even has 30 points left for a weapon. Thats some fucking bullshit.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    2 hydras

You a bitch

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    Dreadlord on Cold One, Armor of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Khaeleth, mundane shield. 1+ armor save, reverse ward save, regen.

If you hit him with low str attacks, he has a 1+ armor save. If you hit him with high str attacks he has what amounts to a 2+ ward save. Either way he has 4+ regen on top of that.

Yeah, good luck killing that cockmaster. The fucker even has 30 points left for a weapon. Thats some fucking bullshit.

The most inglorious death I have ever had with a BSB was when I lost a challenge to a gobbo with the Tricksy Trinket and the Sneaky Skewerer. We played closed lists, but he knew what my guy was. I just saw the gobbo coming at me and was like "lol wuteva."

Never again.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The most inglorious death I have ever had with a BSB was when I lost a challenge to a gobbo with the Tricksy Trinket and the Sneaky Skewerer. We played closed lists, but he knew what my guy was. I just saw the gobbo coming at me and was like "lol wuteva."

Never again.

pffft ahahahaha

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As for the question for what to field on a Dragon, I'd suggest Armor of Darkness, PoK and maybe Caledor's Bane. Whatever weapon you take it up to you, but that'll at least auto-break chariots.

EDIT - or PoK, Blood Armor and Sword of Ruin. I'm really coming to love denying armor saves. One of these days I'm going to try the Black Amulet.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The thing that pisses me off about DE characters is how they're all "hey we pay 25 pts for a 1+ armor save or 35 pts for regen or 35 pts for a reverse ward save". And then I grapple with the WoC list, where i get shit like 50 points for regen and the common list magic items actually cost more than the cost in the BRB.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Back when I played High Elves, I actually had someone laugh when I told them the toughness of my lord once. Some of those DE items are definitely crazy though.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    True, but you also get things I'd love to have my hands on, like the Chaos Runeshield, the Bronze Armor, Bloodskull Pendant, and some other things. The one good thing about your Regen item is that it's independent of armor, where most books it's tied. It's also worth noting that Regen usually seems to be around 50 points, it's just that DE got really lucky with that.

I do find it weird how the common costs change so greatly between armies. Kind of like when I found out HE pay 20 for dispel scrolls.

A duck! on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    and the common list magic items actually cost more than the cost in the BRB.

That's because your statlines are above average though, right?

jackisreal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Chaos Armor for everyone, even mages! Horses that are as good as Cold Ones, but without Stupidity! Their fucking hero has WS7 and 4 attacks.

A duck! on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I want to build an effective Vampire Counts list without fielding special characters( because I hate them and believe they ruin the experience at medium point level games), and I am seriously having trouble winning at 1000 points. I built a 2000 point list for review, and I'd like it if the more experienced players would compare it to what they've seen in other Vampire counts lists. Keep in mind I'm using what I have bought or made myself.
    Vampire Lord
    Powers: Forbidden Lore (Know all VC spells or all of another lore), Master of the Black Arts (+2 Power Dice)
    Equipment: +1 Magic Level, Book Arkhan

Vampire
    Powers: Master of the Black Arts (+2 Power Dice)

Wight King
    Equipment: BSB, Drakenhoff Banner (Regeneration)

Corpse Cart
    Equipment: Balefire

Crypt Ghouls x20
    Equipment: Champion

Skeleton Warriors x20
    Equipment: Champion, Standard, Musician, War Banner

Zombies x20
    Equipment: Standard, Musician

Grave Guard x10
    Equipment: Champion, Standard, Musician, Great Weapons, Royal Standard of Strigos (Grants Hatred)

Spirit Hosts x3

Cairn Wraiths x5
    Equipment: Banshee
    2000 points

I'm using the ethereal units as flankers to deny ranks and cause Terror tests to low leadership units like war machine crews. The emphasis is clearly on magic, but I don't think it's too beardy. Zombies are there as a tarpit and as filler since I lack another core unit to fill the slot.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I would probably take Black Knights over Spirit hosts. They have 1" of movement over the Hosts, and while they have half the attacks they're more likely to get wounds. They're more vulnerable, but you're still talking about T4, AS2+. You can give them the Banner of the Dead Legion and be a real prick, and still have points to put a Necromancer on the Corpse Cart.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Chaos Armor for everyone, even mages! Horses that are as good as Cold Ones, but without Stupidity! Their fucking hero has WS7 and 4 attacks.

The downside, though, is that you pay out the ass for a lot of those stats regardless if you want them or not. All the stats in the world aren't doing me any good if you have to roll a 1-2, followed by a 6, followed by a 1-3 to take a fucking wound. If you stack enough awesome and cheap effects on any model, it can compete.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The downside, though, is that you pay out the ass for a lot of those stats regardless if you want them or not. All the stats in the world aren't doing me any good if you have to roll a 1-2, followed by a 6, followed by a 1-3 to take a fucking wound.

Am I really supposed to sit here and take this from a guy who runs multiple Khorne Chaos Knights? The best cavalry in the whole game?

A duck! on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would probably take Black Knights over Spirit hosts. They have 1" of movement over the Hosts, and while they have half the attacks they're more likely to get wounds. They're more vulnerable, but you're still talking about T4, AS2+. You can give them the Banner of the Dead Legion and be a real prick, and still have points to put a Necromancer on the Corpse Cart.

Cool! What do you think of Cairn Wraiths?

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The downside, though, is that you pay out the ass for a lot of those stats regardless if you want them or not. All the stats in the world aren't doing me any good if you have to roll a 1-2, followed by a 6, followed by a 1-3 to take a fucking wound.

Am I really supposed to sit here and take this from a guy who runs multiple Khorne Chaos Knights? The best cavalry in the whole game?

Rhinox riders 8-)

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

they can be really nasty, especially with a banshee, against most armies

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

They're not "the best", just "the best for the points". 8-)

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah, Banshees are pretty fucking brutal to low leadership armies. Honestly, so many things are. I don't think I could ever play an army where I'm not comfortably walking around with anything less than 9 because of some of the bullshit in this game.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

they are also balls ass expensive

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah, Banshees are pretty fucking brutal to low leadership armies. Honestly, so many things are. I don't think I could ever play an army where I'm not comfortably walking around with anything less than 9 because of some of the bullshit in this game.

oh hey I'm a ld 7 orc what is that light coming out of that gold coffin oh god my eyes where did all the goblin's head go

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Says the guy who just brought up rhinox riders

EDIT: Also, I only took 1 unit of Khorne knights. The other unit of knights was Tzeentch.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah they're pretty costly.

@a duck!: So if I drop the Hosts, I have room for minimum Black Knights with command and Banner of the Dead Legion. After that, I have 10 points, so I gave both vampires Biting Blades.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

@a duck!: So if I drop the Hosts, I have room for minimum Black Knights with command and Banner of the Dead Legion. After that, I have 10 points, so I gave both vampires Biting Blades.

That's a good idea, because you never know when someone is going to whore Etheral units on you!

Were I speaking to you in person I'd be tearing out your throat at the last part of that sentence.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

EDIT: Also, I only took 1 unit of Khorne knights. The other unit of knights was Tzeentch.

it was a joke you butt

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That's a good idea, because you never know when someone is going to whore Etheral units on you!

Were I speaking to you in person I'd be tearing out your throat at the last part of that sentence.

just play demons

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Uh huh, Tzeentch with Blasted Standard, or Tzeentch with Banner of Rage (pretty much making them Khorne).

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

it was a joke you butt

See.. what I read it as was "they're the best for the points, AND they cost a buttload of points" Making them fuckawesome.

sorry pip i will read your mind next time

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I'm dumb. So I'm 5 points short on the list. That drives me mad.
    So is this list good then if I do that?

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Uh huh, Tzeentch with Blasted Standard, or Tzeentch with Banner of Rage (pretty much making them Khorne).

It was actually Tzeentch with Blasted Standard and regular knights with Rage banner.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009

It was actually Tzeentch with Blasted Standard and regular knights with Rage banner.

I'm curious, why do it that way? It's cheaper to Mark them by 5 points (admittedly, not much!), although you can lose it with the Mark, where you can't with the Banner. But how often do you lose combats with those hose beasts?

A duck! on
  • Options
    MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Biting Blade is still "unique" even though it's a common magic item, FYI.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys, sorry to get between your hardcore Warhammer debate, but do any of you know what these are? there are 3 models here and they are from 1995. I know one is from the dark elves, but the other 2 are a mystery. They use to be my brothers from a long time ago.

warhammeruknowns001.th.jpg
    warhammeruknowns002.th.jpg
    warhammeruknowns003.th.jpg
    warhammeruknowns004.th.jpg
    warhammeruknowns005.th.jpg
    warhammeruknowns006.th.jpg
    warhammeruknowns007.th.jpg
    warhammeruknowns008.th.jpg
    warhammeruknowns009.th.jpg

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm curious, why do it that way? It's cheaper to Mark them by 5 points (admittedly, not much!), although you can lose it with the Mark, where you can't with the Banner. But how often do you lose combats with those hose beasts?

5 points extra points to never lose the frenzy is worth it. I have lost combats with them before, to things like goddamn hydras.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]