As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shooting At Holocaust Museum (DC)

1161718192022»

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    200 rounds of ammunition is not a stockpile. It's a short day at the range.

Yeah. Four boxes of ammo most likely.

That was some pretty good fear mongering, though.
    It's roughly the size of a crowd a at a popular bingo parlor, though, which was exactly what he was claiming (or someone was claiming) the stockpile was for.
    he tells them he intended to "kill as many Jews as possible during bingo night."

because he is such a dead-shot that every single bullet will hit it's mark?
    I'd imagine that a mind fevered enough to stray into mass Jew killing territory can produce some pretty hefty delusions of grandeur.
    the word stockpiling is an exaggeration. The thing was written with an agenda to try to tie all of these instances together as though they are all being perpetrated by some cohesive group, when the truth is that what we have is a GENERAL threat from right-wing extremists right now. There's no specific "Rush-Qaeda" group that is orchestrating all of these attacks.
    I haven't been following the thread after giving it up in disgust several pages ago, but is anyone actually claiming that there's a network of terrorist cells waiting for coded messages about their targets from the mouthpieces of the Christian Taliban? OF COURSE these are individual whackos. That doesn't make what they do any less than terrorism, and it doesn't mean that the upswing in violence isn't indicative of a pattern.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Ah, Bill O'Reilly, hypocrisy personified:

"I am so tired of zealots, primarily on the left, putting their insane personal agendas above the safety of fellow Americans."
    Too many people want to talk about Fox news in reaction to Von Brunn, when it's pretty clear that he WASN'T a fan.
    That's true - I freely admit that it's not that relevant to the Holocaust Museum shooting. I think it fits a lot better with the murder of Dr. Tiller.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    200 rounds of ammunition is not a stockpile. It's a short day at the range.

Yeah. Four boxes of ammo most likely.

That was some pretty good fear mongering, though.
    It's roughly the size of a crowd a at a popular bingo parlor, though, which was exactly what he was claiming (or someone was claiming) the stockpile was for.
    he tells them he intended to "kill as many Jews as possible during bingo night."

because he is such a dead-shot that every single bullet will hit it's mark?
    I'd imagine that a mind fevered enough to stray into mass Jew killing territory can produce some pretty hefty delusions of grandeur.
    the word stockpiling is an exaggeration. The thing was written with an agenda to try to tie all of these instances together as though they are all being perpetrated by some cohesive group, when the truth is that what we have is a GENERAL threat from right-wing extremists right now. There's no specific "Rush-Qaeda" group that is orchestrating all of these attacks.
    I haven't been following the thread after giving it up in disgust several pages ago, but is anyone actually claiming that there's a network of terrorist cells waiting for coded messages about their targets from the mouthpieces of the Christian Taliban? OF COURSE these are individual whackos. That doesn't make what they do any less than terrorism, and it doesn't mean that the upswing in violence isn't indicative of a pattern.

I'm not talking about people in this thread. I'm just talking about around the web.

And no, no one is making direct accusations anywhere, but if you look around, you CAN see people who aretrying to heavily imply that some how Fox News or Rush limbaugh are at the CENTER of all of all of these acts, as though they are being held up as spiritual leaders by all people perpetrating these crimes.

The truth, though, is that some of them DO idolize Rush, and some don't. I definitely think that getting Rush to shut up would solve SOME of these issues, but it wouldn't take care fo everything. Von Brunn would have gone right ahead, for instance.

Evander on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    $$$

Does not compute.

If they have some perfectly good moderates who are already loyal to Fox, how do they make money by turning them in to extremists?

Because a perfectly good moderate conservative can watch channels like NBC and CNN without screaming about liberal propaganda.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    $$$

Does not compute.

If they have some perfectly good moderates who are already loyal to Fox, how do they make money by turning them in to extremists?

Because a perfectly good moderate conservative can watch channels like NBC and CNN without screaming about liberal propaganda.

You skipped the bolded part.

The problem with the argument is that by the time some one is so indoctrinated that Fox CAN turn them in to an extremist, they're already indoctrinated enough that Fox can make whatever money off them it needs to.

Fox simply has no motive to turn people in to extremists. I'm NOT saying that they aren't. What I'm saying is that it is an unintended by-product that they are being negligent about dealing with, NOT a part of some greater malevolent scheme.

Evander on
  • Options
    bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It doesn't matter if Fox is responsible or not. They were already given a green light to lie and call it the news.

Places like Stormfront is where this shit is at. That's not even the deep fringes, as I imagine most of the severely out-there motherfuckers don't communicate much over the internet.

Ironically they sent out a statement that they do not 'condone' his actions, and that he makes their movement 'look bad'.

How do you even begin to wrap your mind around that?

Speaking of, his beliefs are full of contradictions. At first glance everyone would cite him as a far right wing nut, but he hates neocons, he is anti-semetic so I doubt he gives a crap about Israel and its well being, he's a 9/11 truther, he's not a Republican or Democrat, he's not a liberal, etc.

bychance on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Ladies and gentlemen, James von Brunn was a simple man. He subsisted on being a hater. He saw a motherfucker with new shoes and figured "I got mine almost a year ago", so what choice did he have? He hated. There isn't an affiliation to be located- there is no local player hater's union, no. I HAVE heard tell of a ball.

He a hater, is what I'm saying.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bychance wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if Fox is responsible or not. They were already given a green light to lie and call it the news.

Places like Stormfront is where this shit is at. That's not even the deep fringes, as I imagine most of the severely out-there motherfuckers don't communicate much over the internet.

Ironically they sent out a statement that they do not 'condone' his actions, and that he makes their movement 'look bad'.

How do you even begin to wrap your mind around that?

Speaking of, his beliefs are full of contradictions. At first glance everyone would cite him as a far right wing nut, but he hates neocons, he is anti-semetic so I doubt he gives a crap about Israel and its well being, he's a 9/11 truther, he's not a Republican or Democrat, he's not a liberal, etc.

His beliefs AREN'T full of contradictions.

The idea that some one's beliefs have to follow certain party-lines is idiotic at best.

Von Brunn's politics, as crazy as they were, were far more consistent than most people out there. Unfortunately, they were consistently wrong, as well.

Evander on