As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another Opening, Another Show

• Options
    ZachardeZacharde Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    Zacharde wrote: »
    Before I kicked myself out of the professional musical theater world, I back staged for a lot of the biggies. Les Miserables, Phantom, Miss Saigon. Mostly it was pretty cool, though the pay was horrific. I much preferred working smaller shows, but the pay there makes the pay for the big musicals look positively luxurious.

Eventually realized I was having way more fun at the amateur level, and got out.

For most horrific experience ever, I got trapped in a horrible horrible touring production of Aspects of Love. I would stand offstage, waiting to give cues and trying to imagine ways of arranging the accidental deaths everyone on stage. I would award myself bonus points if my plan had a chance of killing the six or seven suckers in the audience who showed up to watch. You see, it was important that there be no witnesses to my shame.

It was that bad.

I would never imagine that this would be the case. I can see professional actors being dicks but not the pay rate being so different.

When I'm an old retired man I'm going to live in New York and volunteer to usher broadway shows and give blowjobs in the bathroom because that is the gayest life plan I have

Equity pay rate was indexed to the size of the theater. An Equity stage manager in 1 thousand seat theater made a lot more than one in a 100 seat theater.

My dad always said it was important to have a retirement plan. :mrgreen:

Zacharde on
    "For future reference, I was sort of hoping for a suggestion that didn't sound like it came from that Bolshevik Muppet with all the dynamite."
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    AAAGONYYYYY

beyond power of speeeech

when the one thing you want

is the only thing out of your reeeeach

AAAGONYYYY

much more painful than yours

When you know she would go with you, if there only were doors!

Dwarves are very upsetting!

Jimothy on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Having just seen a production of My Fair Lady for the first time

fuck that show

What?

Die in a fire you fuckwit.

I'm performing in a number from My Fair Lady this week

What do you want, a cookie!?

(no seriously, h5)

sarukun on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Quoth wrote: »
    AAAGONYYYYY

beyond power of speeeech

when the one thing you want

is the only thing out of your reeeeach

AAAGONYYYY

much more painful than yours

When you know she would go with you, if there only were doors!

Dwarves are very upsetting!

I feel like I know this song, but I cannot remember from what

Bucketman on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh jesus christ

a friend of mine who I did a show with is now going to audition for one of the most high-quality amateur companies in the state

she's 14 and has never done a proper amateur show before, nor is she a terribly good singer

or a proper audition

it's tomorrow and she doesn't have fucking sheet music

she also has a cold and asked me if instead of "Any Dream Will Do" from Joseph she should do "On My Own."

I have no idea what's possessed her to think this is a good idea

YaYa on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hahaha

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    it's seriously the perfect storm of terrible teenage idiocy

I just wish I could be at the audition

I picture Simon Cowell tearing her apart with a single glance

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Simon Cowell tears her apart without looking at her

Before she introduces herself

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    OH MY GOD.

she just asked me, quote:

"sheet music.. thats 4 piano right?"

I don't know whether to laugh, cry or throw up

YaYa on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sounds like someone needs a cold truth shower

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm trying, but she won't listen

my god, she just said her singing teacher just teaches popular voice and doesn't know anything about musical theatre

why is she

how does

wha

errrrkkkkk

YaYa on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I only took a couple years of choir but I have no idea what popular voice is

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'd assume it's pop vocals style

I think I may have convinced her it's a bad idea, but

ergh

YaYa on
  • Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Let her go

It will build her character or something

Ten on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any dream will do

any dream

any dream will

any dream

any dream will dooooo

any dreeeeaaamm

any dream will

any dream

anny dream will dooooooooooooooooooooooo

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can't sing

That's why the only lead I have ever gotten was the narattor

But at least I do a good job of making the chorus look full

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man people like that keep auditions interesting.

I once had a girl come in and sing... some song from some American Idol winner.

She sang along with her iPod.

She didn't remember how the song went.

People who are singing well-known songs with no sheet music? Pff that's nothing. A lot of times I still can accompany them, since so many people audition on specific songs.

Of course my personal favorite remains the people who can't sing, mess up the song awfully, and blame me for it. Also the subset of people there who don't bring music or want me to play because they assume I'll mess them up. Like, I understand the horror of actually having a bad accompanist, but first of all, unless you're the first audition and this is a completely blind gig I've gotten, the people giving the audition have heard me play for a bunch of other auditions, and they probably have figured out that I'm good and it's not my fault. Also if you're singing Still Hurting they may have heard me play that exact song and not have any problems. Secondly, if you're a good vocalist, it doesn't matter what I do anyways. As one of my favoritest grad students said to her students at one point preparing for an audition: "If he messes up, you keep going. If he walks out and sits on the piano, you keep going. At my audition for grad school my accompanist probably would've been better if he sat on the piano. Just sing, let them keep up with you". Like really, it doesn't make you sound better if you turn to someone who clearly isn't the problem and blame them for something that even if true you should be able to deal with.

Also Yaya find her voice teacher and beat them up several times for being awful at their job

Khavall on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So around February or March I was holding auditions for the musical I was directing at university.

This kid walks in, tells us what song he's going to sing (something I wasn't familiar with) and starts singing it. A few bars go by, and then it suddenly starts sounding familiar:

"We're no strangers to love..."

Yep, the dude Rick-rolled us in his audition.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    So around February or March I was holding auditions for the musical I was directing at university.

This kid walks in, tells us what song he's going to sing (something I wasn't familiar with) and starts singing it. A few bars go by, and then it suddenly starts sounding familiar:

How was he?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

How was he?

Did he get the part?
    If not, get the fuck out of here.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've always wanted to do theater, but for some reason it is just not in the cards, as I cannot act at all.

So I end up being that guy who does sound for shows.

I did enjoy the fuck out of doing it for midsummer's nights dream

Swill on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    what show was it DeathPrawn

I'm hoping to direct my first show in June next year and could use some advice

YaYa on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    I really really wanna catch Wicked when it's down in Miami next year. If I'm still in FL, that is.

I saw the original cast of Wicked

So good

Have either of you read the book? It's definitely way different than the play, but just curious what you thought of it. Also, if you've read Son of a Witch and a Lion Among Men?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It was a stage adaptation of Dr. Horrible. Easily the most awesomely geeky cast I've ever worked with. And yeah, we cast the rickroll guy.

Directing advice? Respect your actors and respect their input. It sounds obvious, but I think that's the most important thing. If you create an environment where your cast feels like they can experiment and try new things and really explore their characters, they will do fucking awesome work and you'll feel like you're doing nothing at all. I'm not saying you shouldn't plan things out ahead of time and have a very clear idea of what you want your production to be, but the actual creative process should be a give-and-take between you and your actors where you're not afraid to try something different. Note that you can't be quite as off-the-cuff if you're working on a large production, but if you've never directed anything before I'd hope you're planning on doing something small.

If you want some reading material, I'd pick up books on improv comedy (Keith Johnstone's "Impro" is a personal fave). I haven't found any directing books that particularly inspire me, but having a solid background in improv is worth its weight in gold both for the artistic and the leadership aspects of directing.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    great, thanks very much

also I fucking hated Wicked the book

YaYa on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked the book! Although I didn't particularly care for any of Maguire's other stuff. I haven't seen the musical onstage, either, so I don't really have anything to compare it with.

Prawn, your directing advice reminds me of probably my favourite stage experience, when myself and two others were cast in Reduced Shakespeare for a yearly dinner theatre venue. None of us were particularly experienced, but our director let us improv and experiment to get comfortable and it turned out great. People back home still quote it when I run into them.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked the book! Although I didn't particularly care for any of Maguire's other stuff. I haven't seen the musical onstage, either, so I don't really have anything to compare it with.

I saw the show first before I read the book, so it made the book a little easier to get through.

Though, the play doesn't have the copious amounts of infidelity as the book has.

Also, characters are completely different and Elphaba doesn't even bother going to Kiamo Ko.

Now I'm just debating whether to read his other 2 books

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ok I did find a reasonable performance of some Guettal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhE_fs2lys

Seriously dudes, this is one motherfucker of a composer.

Also, 3 more performances of the show I'm currently in before I go back to my real jobs and head pitward again. I'm pretty ready for the show to be over.

Khavall on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Ok I did find a reasonable performance of some Guettal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhE_fs2lys

Seriously dudes, this is one motherfucker of a composer.

Also, 3 more performances of the show I'm currently in before I go back to my real jobs and head pitward again. I'm pretty ready for the show to be over.

What really pisses me off is that William Goldman being a cock means we'll never get to hear Guettel's Princess Bride score.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I am so upset about Princess Bride I cannot even tell you.

Though the one thing that keeps me sane is the fact that Adam Guettel cannot to save his life write comedic music. Like, not only does he have no sense of timing, but his music just goes down in quality by a good order of magnitude or so when he tries. Pegasus is pretty good, but man Sysiphous, for instance, is the worst song in Myths and Hymns with almost no question(Come to Jesus is pretty bad too).

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Eh, I like Sisyphus. Yeah, it's weaker than most of Guettel's stuff, but that doesn't mean I dislike it.

I've been studying a lot of Weill stuff lately, and it's pretty awesome, but what it's really been doing is making me remember just how fucking brilliant Urinetown is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZV431zhXA4

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had no idea that Adam Guettel had worked on a Princess Bride score and then William Goldman douched out about it. That's simultaneously awesome and awful. I lost my copy of Myths and Hymns a few years ago and I haven't been able to replace it since, but I love it and Floyd Collins insanely. Hero and Leander is one of my favourite songs, because I'm secretly a giant soppy romantic.

soppy sop sop

Like I said. And Ben Vereen doing some dancing in tight, tight pants, to offset it:

This Musical Rated PG-13

Incidentally, did anyone else think that "The Sadder But Wiser Girl" was "The Sadder Budweiser Girl" when they were a kid?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    speaking of AIDS

I'm auditioning for Rent in three weeks

anybody have any tips

YaYa on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    gay it up

like, even for you

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    should I just have a dude suck my dick while I'm singing

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    199% yes

I meant to type "100% yes," but I think 199% really conveys how strongly I support your tactics.

What type of show is it? I mean, I know it's Rent, but is it like, a touring show, a local theatre, the great white way..?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg