As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XBLA]Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Now Available on Steam!!!

• PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Game froze again in 2-headed giant format. Just because I'm playing double elves and there are four champions out, two coat of arms, and 12 elves doesn't mean the CPU should be able to freeze-rage-quit.

Pjstelford on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have not won a single game played online against random players without them quiting early.

: /

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dusda wrote: »
    I have not won a single game played online against random players without them quiting early.

: /

sometimes, they seem to count as wins anyway. I've unlocked cards and got the achievement despite my opponent quitting. but yeah, it kinda sucks.

Finally unlocked 100%... god the elf deck is amazing.

aBlank on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can unlock cards by playing online? I don't have to grind through the fucking campaign?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • chesspiecefacechesspieceface Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dusda wrote: »
    You can unlock cards by playing online? I don't have to grind through the fucking campaign?

You can unlock cards by playing custom matches against the cpu as well.

chesspieceface on
    WillieTannerBuilds - Youtube (Let's Play series including Minecraft, Terraria, Age of Empires and more.)
    Willie Tanner Livestream
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm slowly becoming better i think, I was familiar with magic (and a few other TCG's) so it is quite fun, its somewhat suicide taking a "new" deck straight online though.... being that i have no cards unlocked my poor newbie red deck is getting kinda slammed.

(random edit: does anyone else see my gamersig thing as Privacy options enabled? i've tried my darndest to get that taken off but cant seem to get it)

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    blah, i dont think you get a card if the fuckers drop, which is annoying because i've had more than 1 instance where i was going to win and they just dropped instead of finishing.

Edit: sweet 2 times in a row now...

Zephos on
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I hear that's a real problem. It'll probably prevent me from even trying MP.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's annoying but in no way super prevalent. I'd say roughly a third of games where the opponent is clearly going to lose, he drops. That still leaves the other two thirds of people who stay to the end, plus you won't win every game!

Just take his dosconnect as your moral victory. In the end what's the difference? Remember the card unlocks should be a secondary goal to actually playing the game :P

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2009
    This blue deck can be really nasty... I stopped this guy from taking me out when i had 4 hit points and i've got him down to 11 at this point from 25.

Edit: Nice, not only did i beat him, he stayed till the end.

Zephos on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Worst drop I ever faced. I got land screwed and only had two lands for like four turns running. I knew I was going to get creamed, and painfully slowly without even getting to play many cards, but I sucked it up and just kept on. Turned out my opponent (who was playing the dragon deck) was getting creature screwed, and so I had time to bring it back and turn the game around. After working uphill from what looked like a definite victory for my opponent, I'm about to take the final turn that will let me kill him.... and he drops.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zephos wrote: »
    This blue deck can be really nasty... I stopped this guy from taking me out when i had 4 hit points and i've got him down to 11 at this point from 25.
    Yeah, I've seen the same thing. Blue player is taking a beating and then he wins. Most of my (very few :P) wins are like this.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got this last night, and fuck is the computer cheating with its deck.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I got this last night, and fuck is the computer cheating with its deck.

How so? I have noticed the computer get land screwed and creature screwed the same as any normal player.

At least there are no nice rolls to manipulate.

*cough*CULDCEPT*cough*

chamberlain on
    edited July 2009
    I probably just had a string of bad luck, but my opponents always seemed to have just the right card for the right scenario. I'm admittedly no Magic savant, but being stuck with 3 lands and getting a bunch of 5/6 land creatures for like 5 rounds in a row happened to me several times.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited July 2009
    Truly, the gods of magic hate you.

Really, it's just bad luck.

Your problem, though, is why I really miss the ability to completely take apart the decks. I like fast decks with most things under a casting cost of three. The best decks I ever built were black wenie decks.

Hasran Ogress ftw.

chamberlain on
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Necropotence. Those Black Knights and Orders of the Ebon Hand really, really kicked ass. Combined with Nevynraal's Disks and Lake o' Dead pumped Drain Life... ouch. The local group banned me from using this deck after day three. Except the guy with a good white deck wich stood a chance with Disentchant and White Knights as well as Swords to Plowshares. Brings back some memories.

ACSIS on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Suicide black is probably my second favorite archetype to play.

Right behind mono black control.

Cabal Coffers
    Duress/Addle/Thoughtseize
    Mutilate/Damnation
    Corrupt/Consume Spirit
    Mind Sludge/Persecute
    Chainer's Edict/Innocent Blood
    Phyrexian Arena
    Nantuko Shade
    Diabolic Tutor
    Oblivion Stone x1
    Haunting Echoes x1
    Mirari x1

4rch3nemy on
    edited July 2009
    is there any screen which tells you your overall record?

Zephos on
  • jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was hoping to sit down and play some 2hg with a friend staying over for the weekend, but it looks like he has to play the entire single player campaign to unlock all the decks for himself.

jhunter46 on
    edited July 2009
    I need to get around to doing some 2hg. I've been having too much fun with 1v1 though.

Zephos on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Y'know what? Fuck the blue deck. I just got out of a fucking hour long match that I would have won if it wasn't for 12+ fucking counterspells in one god damn deck. And then to top it all off when the match was finished, he disconnected on me before we even got to the player lobby. I was going to rate him positively but now I'm not sure.

Zerokku on
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I haven't played MP yet, but is there a concession option? I can understand people dropping if they're stuck waiting for the game to end.

Pjstelford on
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There is idiotically, not a concession option. Really, Quit should just be Concede instead.

But yeah, I've played... 20 some matches online now and haven't had anyone quit on me yet, so I don't think it's too bad.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'd say around 75% of the matches I would win end up in people disconnecting at the last minute.

troublebrewing on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I played all the way through the campaign only using Teeth of the Predator. I love my green deck.

Unless I'm up against flying foes. Damn white deck.

Also, is it just me or do we seem to be missing a lot of cards? I thought I remembered more variety. Then again, it has been a looooong time.

joshofalltrades on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    just bought and played a couple rounds with my buddy

it was p fun even with the starter decks.

TyrantCow on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Either I'm getting awful draw after awful draw, or the white deck sucks online.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited July 2009
    I wish the white deck had Oblivion Ring x 4. Probably too strong though.

4rch3nemy on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I've had the most luck online with Black, Elves, and the Red deck. Dragon deck seems pretty good, but I get bad draws way too often :(

aBlank on
  • fdiskcdrivefdiskcdrive Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I probably just had a string of bad luck, but my opponents always seemed to have just the right card for the right scenario. I'm admittedly no Magic savant, but being stuck with 3 lands and getting a bunch of 5/6 land creatures for like 5 rounds in a row happened to me several times.

I feel your pain. I had the same problem. My first three matches I won without a problem, but after that I could never get a good balance of mana and probably lost my next 20 games. I am not terrible at magic or anything, and I was feeling really good about the game after my first three matches.

I have since played quite a bit more and unlocked 3 full decks by playing the AI. I seem to win a bunch in a row, then lose a bunch in a row consistently. I've unlocked a full deck in the span of 2 hours, and unlocked one card in the span of 2 hours.

Hopefully with the introduction of new and varied decks the game will start feeling less luck based.

fdiskcdrive on
    fdisksig1gi.gif
    mkds: 128-909-369-415
    tetris: 607-254-108-141
    metroid: 1460-9641-6245
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I usually don't do bad with the white deck. I don't like playing it against the elves deck though.

troublebrewing on
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I'm still not feeling the luck factor in this game. During a round yesterday, as soon as I finally get my offense up and running, my opponent sweeps in, takes over/immobilizes my dudes and destroys me in one round with my own creature. There's not really anything I could have done to prevent that other than... having a better hand/my opponent having a worse hand.

Kind of dissuading, really.

Cherrn on
    edited July 2009
    Without the strategic aspects of deckbuilding, I'm feeling the same way. It's almost one long and drawn out game of "who does the RNG love more today?" Thankfully there is still room for play errors and trickery, but with certain decks (white, anyone?) it's all about if you can play your creatures and beat him down faster than he can play his and beat you down because there just aren't that many choices to make during a game.

Another thing: As decks get bigger, how does the land ratio compensate, if at all? I find the white deck fully unlocked has WAY too much land, as I'm usually sitting at 8 or 9 by game's end. I draw too much land and then I get screwed over by not having anything to play. Again, without proper deckbuilding options, this is out of my hands and I'm just battling the RNG.

4rch3nemy on
    edited July 2009
    There is no reason to dump all of you unlocked cards into the deck at the same time. I have the mono-green deck almost fully unlocked and have much better luck only added two or three cards instead of all 17. Better odds of your big nasty cards coming up instead of another copy of one you already have out.

People quiting is rampant. I played around ten games last night, and at least five quit on me right before I landed the last hit. Not much to do but send negative feedback.

chamberlain on
  • SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Another thing: As decks get bigger, how does the land ratio compensate, if at all? I find the white deck fully unlocked has WAY too much land, as I'm usually sitting at 8 or 9 by game's end. I draw too much land and then I get screwed over by not having anything to play.

The game definitely adds lands as you add cards. You can check this yourself - when you start a game, look at how many cards are left in your deck and add the cards in your hand. If you add three or four spells you will see six or seven cards added to your deck. I don't know the exact ratio, but it's around one land per two spells added.

Serule on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

People quiting is rampant. I played around ten games last night, and at least five quit on me right before I landed the last hit. Not much to do but send negative feedback.

I just had to quit a game at 12 health that I was in it was a 4 for all and some ass just cast Blaze on my recently stolen legend green dude and I went to counter it but... WTF Blaze get the fuck off my screen! Goddamnit now my green dudes dead and he is attacking me! Fuck you Blaze. Fuck you. Fuck this.

Final Verdict. This game is buggy as fuck and poorly thought out as far as customization and online forfeiting.

Brian on
  • Gar kingGar king Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    so I just bought this as my first magic game, and so far magic isn't as bad as I thought is the online game better than this?

edit: by that I mean is it worth it?

Gar king on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    zel999.png
    edited July 2009
    Brian wrote: »

I just had to quit a game at 12 health that I was in it was a 4 for all and some ass just cast Blaze on my recently stolen legend green dude and I went to counter it but... WTF Blaze get the fuck off my screen! Goddamnit now my green dudes dead and he is attacking me! Fuck you Blaze. Fuck you. Fuck this.

Final Verdict. This game is buggy as fuck and poorly thought out as far as customization and online forfeiting.

I really have no idea what you are saying.

Sounds a bit like whining to me.

chamberlain on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Brian wrote: »

I really have no idea what you are saying.

Sounds a bit like whining to me.

The game glitched and when I zoomed in on a card it would not go away and I could do nothing but quit out. That is like the 5th time something like that has happened and that isn't counting the times that it has simply frozen up. The game is buggy as hell.

Brian on