As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XBLA]Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Now Available on Steam!!!

• 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Brian wrote: »
    Online duels is like wading through a sea of elves. Wish I had a dwarf themed deck. Either way it is fun beating up on elf yuppies.

Agreed.

What do you guys feel the best deck against elves is? I haven't played too much online (or against/with elves actually) but I feel that the red deck, with burn and aggressive play would stand a pretty good chance against the weenie horde. Those are just my quickest assumptions though.

Red seems to be the worst deck otherwise.

4rch3nemy on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Red's not the worst, blue is in one on one, but if you don't have a well structured hand and normally with one or two unlocked cards, it'll fall apart on you. The red mentor helps out immensely, and having more than one of those would boost the deck a bunch. Just today in fact I used Furnace of Rath vs Coat of Arms in order to take the elf player down before the hordes got me.

I think the White deck with the Holy days, the flying and the mass removal would be best vs the elves.

Moridin889 on
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Red's not the worst, blue is in one on one, but if you don't have a well structured hand and normally with one or two unlocked cards, it'll fall apart on you. The red mentor helps out immensely, and having more than one of those would boost the deck a bunch. Just today in fact I used Furnace of Rath vs Coat of Arms in order to take the elf player down before the hordes got me.

I think the White deck with the Holy days, the flying and the mass removal would be best vs the elves.

That's definitely a consideration. How many Wraths can you unlock? There isn't much else that can be done against an elf player (or god forbid two elf players in 2-headed) who have emptied their hands.

Elf-Elf vs. Elf-Elf is a rather amusing matchup. Both sides sit and wait for the team that can play both a champion & coat on the same turns for lethal damage, while building up hordes of elves, and hoping that the other team doesn't have a naturalize.

Pjstelford on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So far I have been playing with pure black exclusively and it has brought me victory unless I am either stuck with 2 lands all game or only draw lands. This goddamn game needs to learn how to shuffle. Enough stuff to take down the key elves and keep them down with plenty of flying to jet across and deal damage, and the rack or maegrim or underworld keep the pressure on them big time. But I'll be damned if every elf I've ever played hasn't drawn every single Eyeblight card they have every single game.

Brian on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

mentor?

TyrantCow on
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pjstelford wrote: »

That's definitely a consideration. How many Wraths can you unlock? There isn't much else that can be done against an elf player (or god forbid two elf players in 2-headed) who have emptied their hands.

Elf-Elf vs. Elf-Elf is a rather amusing matchup. Both sides sit and wait for the team that can play both a champion & coat on the same turns for lethal damage, while building up hordes of elves, and hoping that the other team doesn't have a naturalize.

I just finished the white deck and was pretty disappointed to learn that there is only one Wrath. Still, you can do a lot of things to beat the elf deck. Race with flyers, wait until they commit to something and Holy Day out of it, First strike guys are pretty good against them too. White deck is fun.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I beat the elf deck in the campaign with the black deck. It seems like, at least until you unlock the full decks, that it's really luck of the draw that determines who wins. If you draw well and the other player draws poorly than you can practically beat any deck with any deck.

Peen on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    God I hate Holy Days. It always gets double stacked against me, and suddenly I'm facing like 80 3/3 flying creatures.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited July 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    God I hate Holy Days. It always gets double stacked against me, and suddenly I'm facing like 80 3/3 flying creatures.

That card. I do not think it does what you think it does.

Pjstelford on
    edited July 2009
    Probably meant Glorious Anthem.

4rch3nemy on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know what card the black deck needs?

Pestilence.

A two point pestlence can make so many little problems go away. And loose you many friends at the same time.

chamberlain on
    edited July 2009

Pestilence.

A two point pestlence can make so many little problems go away. And loose you many friends at the same time.

Or Dark Ritual.

Brian on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Pestilence.

Or Dark Ritual.

or demonic tuotor, as long as we are asking for old, cool things that probably aren't going to happen.

chamberlain on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Or Lord of the Pitt, just because he's classic and bad.

I would say LotPitt and Sengir Vampire are probably the definative black creatures. The Anson Maddocks art for Sengir always freaked me the fuck out, out incredibly... gross, evil and sexual it was at all times.

sengir_vampire3.jpg

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited July 2009

Pestilence.

Or Dark Ritual.

or demonic tuotor, as long as we are asking for old, cool things that probably aren't going to happen.

Yawgmoth's Will !!!!
    Necropotence !!!!
    Hatred !!!!

4rch3nemy on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Skittering skirge, dark ritual and hatred for a turn 3 kill!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited July 2009

Pestilence.

The difficulty is making these decks balanced without having tons of silver bullets. Pestilence is a golden bullet, which says that as long as your biggest guy is bigger than theirs, your guy is the only guy. It also doubles as spot removal (which black has enough of), triples as board cleansing (white's slice of the color wheel), and quadruples as reusable direct damage (direct damage is now red's domain, but even red doesn't have anything nearly so reliable as a permanent fireball enchantment). In a game where the design aims towards long drawn out games, pestilence becomes lethal so long as you are one life ahead.

Plus triggering the damn thing fives times every turn would take forever with the current stack implementation.

I wish they had kept the decks as really tight draft size decks. 4x of commons, 2x of uncommons, 1x rares. Some decks getting four of their power rares (elves) vs. 1 of them (White, wrath) causes issues.

Also, elves gets 6 lords (Elvish Champion x4, Imperious Perfect x2), whereas red gets 2 champions (Mountain King x2), with red having the added drawback of playing non-goblins.

I get why they don't let you customize decks vs. AI. The number crunching for the AI players is already difficult enough with static decks. That said, let us build from the limited cardpool decks for multiplayer. It would add immensely to the longevity of this game.

However, there is the feeling that is partially WotC's, or more to the point Hasbro's intention. If you want to customize and experience more cards, either go to the tabletop, MTGO, or gtfo.

Pjstelford on
    edited July 2009
    I'm a little surprised that with the elf deck being there that they didn't do a goblin deck too. I know it'd play a lot like the elf one but I loved my goblin deck, back in the day.

Peen on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Put in a Goblin Lackey as an unlockable, and just have everyone cry first turn.

Moridin889 on
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty impressed with the white deck. Just finished the campaign using it, green deck was also ok.
    Still to try the mixed deck. I think unlocking all of the cards is going to take a while.
    Havnt played online yet but if someone quits on you does that count as a win?

hyperpower on
    edited July 2009
    hyperpower wrote: »

Nope. And if the host leaves a 4 person game everyone gets booted as well. Wonderfully well thought out system, especially for the Xbox Live target audience.

Brian on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Interesting; I played a few ranked matches, and I haven't had a single person drop out. Perhaps this is just a major problem with Player matches. *shrugs*.

Also, I totally just got the Spellslinger achievement.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited July 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Probably meant Glorious Anthem.

This. Whoops. I hate it.

Darkewolfe on
    edited July 2009
    I know there's some hate for the elf deck here but it was the only way that I was beating that damn blue/black artifact deck. I still love the black deck and I haven't played with the dragon deck but I do also loves me some elves.

Do you unlock that artifact deck at some point? I'd dry hump Joan Rivers for it, I won't lie. It looks tasty.

Peen on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hyperpower wrote: »

Nope. And if the host leaves a 4 person game everyone gets booted as well. Wonderfully well thought out system, especially for the Xbox Live target audience.

I got my "10 wins online" achievement when someone left during the mulligan/card selection. It seems like sometimes it'll get recorded and other times... not so much.

aBlank on
    edited July 2009
    I know there's some hate for the elf deck here but it was the only way that I was beating that damn blue/black artifact deck. I still love the black deck and I haven't played with the dragon deck but I do also loves me some elves.

Do you unlock that artifact deck at some point? I'd dry hump Joan Rivers for it, I won't lie. It looks tasty.

No.. you don't get to use it. I bet it'd be the most used though.. :D

4rch3nemy on
    edited July 2009

No doubt. It is hands-down, all-out better than the other decks. It's also the deck that killed my growing urge to get back into magic while I was playing this. It's the ultimate, perfect example of suitcase card gaming.

Darkewolfe on
    edited July 2009

No doubt. It is hands-down, all-out better than the other decks. It's also the deck that killed my growing urge to get back into magic while I was playing this. It's the ultimate, perfect example of suitcase card gaming.

You could start your own play group with spending limits and rarety caps. That's what I did.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    edited July 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »

You could start your own play group with spending limits and rarety caps. That's what I did.

I've never had that work out, and I've tried it with a few card games. CCG's are designed to make you hunger for more!

I really, really like what they did with the GoT card game, organizing it into scheduled releases of fixed cards. I haven't invested in it yet though, so I guess I don't like it enough.

Darkewolfe on
    edited July 2009
    Ehh, I think if you like the playgroup. I'll probably buy more cards, but I'm pretty liberal about trading, free use of my cards. Also I recognize the user base, and build decks for fun not for advantage. I got like 3 n00bs and 3 old players to join up, and I am by far the most experienced of all of them.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Ehh, I think if you like the playgroup. I'll probably buy more cards, but I'm pretty liberal about trading, free use of my cards. Also I recognize the user base, and build decks for fun not for advantage. I got like 3 n00bs and 3 old players to join up, and I am by far the most experienced of all of them.

In my MtG group, my friends were spending all kinds of money trying to put together expensive, all-rare decks. We had a no-limit format, with a soft ban on stupid combos like whispersilk cloak + phage the untouchable. So, I was up against some pretty formidable (and expensive) decks.

I upset them pretty badly with wall of bone, fog of gnats, the rack and abyssal/hypnotic spectres. You really, really don't need a lot of money to build a good deck.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've just posted Lave's review of this on SavyGamer.

LewieP on
  • beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I really, really like what they did with the GoT card game, organizing it into scheduled releases of fixed cards. I haven't invested in it yet though, so I guess I don't like it enough.

Yeah, I wish I could find some people to play AGoT with. I've been buying the chapter packs for this and their Call of Cthulhu LCG (cool resource management in that one). They also just announced a Warhammer LCG.

beta.lyrae on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm trying to unlock 100% and the game keeps locking up on me during the co-op campaign.. it's pretty annoying.

troublebrewing on
  • beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm trying to unlock 100% and the game keeps locking up on me during the co-op campaign.. it's pretty annoying.

Try rotating the view with the directional pad. This has helped me get it unstuck before.

beta.lyrae on
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    beta.lyrae wrote: »

Try rotating the view with the directional pad. This has helped me get it unstuck before.

Yup, in my experience, it just needs a little "stimulation" to realize that the game is still going on. Hitting buttons randomly seems to work wonders. I tend to hammer on the triggers but the D-Pad is an even better idea.

Seems to me like a situation where the main board gets stuck in "player is zoomed in on a card" mode, screwing around with it helps it get its shit back together.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    is it cool despite having preconstructed decks?

if so, i will buy this.

INeedNoSalt on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    is it cool despite having preconstructed decks?

if so, i will buy this.

It's fairly good considering the preconstructed decks.

Zerokku on
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is there any word of on them adding more downloadable decks. Still trying to decide if I want/ will play this.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's a menu for dlc, so I imagine we'll see something eventually.

Zerokku on