As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XBLA]Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Now Available on Steam!!!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    jack eddy wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever had so much fun as an Archbound artufact deck during Mirrodin. I loved that block. After that, Kamigawa just felt a little meh. Probably because I was also playing Legend of the Five Rings, and Kamigawa felt like a cheap rip off.
    Kamigawa was also a little weak, overall. Of course, Mirrodin was crazy powerful, so the next block was going to be in a hole anyway.

Ravnica was my last block before I moved away from my playgroup. So much good stuff there.

I loved Ravnica. I had a white/black control/drain deck. Just sitting there prolonging games till I was sitting at 30+ life with them at 0.
    We split the guilds up between us to better distribute the cards from our initial boxes. I took Black/Green, Blue/White and Red/White (which I built and handed to the then girlfriend, now wife). I later built a Black/White but I didn't have the rares it really needed.

Black/Green was monstrous, and Blue/White was infuriating for my opponents. Both great decks to play.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love Ravnica because they printed Lightning Helix, but also simultaneously hate it because Electrolyze is so underwhelming in comparison. It's like Izzet was part blue so they thought they had to design shitty cards for it.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Chen wrote: »
    I love Ravnica because they printed Lightning Helix, but also simultaneously hate it because Electrolyze is so underwhelming in comparison. It's like Izzet was part blue so they thought they had to design shitty cards for it.
    Sorry. You get Counterspell. And card draw to find Counterspell. And Counterspells you can play from the graveyard/removed from game zone. And Counterspell you don't actually have to play to play.

You don't get anything else nice. That's how it works.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They better make a Magic the Gathering: Duels of Motherfucking Ravnica Block expansion.
    Ravnica Limited is crazy amazing fun. Just figuring out your path from Ravnica > Dissension is fun, and just a lot of really interesting card designs.

That said: Glare of Subdual can choke on a cock and die.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    metaghost wrote: »
    They better make a Magic the Gathering: Duels of Motherfucking Ravnica Block expansion.
    Ravnica Limited is crazy amazing fun. Just figuring out your path from Ravnica > Dissension is fun, and just a lot of really interesting card designs.

That said: Glare of Subdual can choke on a cock and die.
    I would love a Ravnica expansion or guild decks.

And Glare of Subdual; we used to call that "suck it, I have saprolings." Disenchant makes it your bitch, though.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    MisterGrokMisterGrok Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seriously Blue was the best.

At making other people quit the game. I love playing as control decks, or even against them, be it blue in magic, secret society in vs or mantis in L5R... but nothing makes new players quit a game like a well made control deck.

I got kicked out of play groups for my Stasis decks. Or my Scorpion decks. Or my Psychic/Electric deck in Pokemon.

MisterGrok on
    GamerTag: aintnodancer
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember opening Loxodon Hierarch a couple of times and dreaded it every time. On one hand it's a 4/4 for 4 with relevant abilities, on the other hand it's G/W, my least favorite pairing. I think I lost every time I picked it.

Never opened a Glare of Subdual funny enough.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If this does prove to be a hit, I really can imagine them expanding it to have more functions (i.e. drafting specific blocks), as the streamlined nature of the game and XBLA format really distinguishes it from the hardcore tournament market that MTGO caters too. Especially now that they're better developing means to get strictly MTGO players into the Pro Tour with the monthly Championship series.

They might lose some of their casual MTGO player, but at the same time, I'm sure some people will grow from this and start playing MTGO (like some of you fear).

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I remember opening Loxodon Hierarch a couple of times and dreaded it every time. On one hand it's a 4/4 for 4 with relevant abilities, on the other hand it's G/W, my least favorite pairing. I think I lost every time I picked it.

Never opened a Glare of Subdual funny enough.
    Loxodon Hierarch almost turned my Dumbo deck Green/White. That dude is hardcore.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    While not a huge fan of M:TG (burned out of it when the Weatherlight saga ended, and haven't really cared enough to start up again due to other games taking my interest), definitely a cool idea at least for a Arcade game.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Its all about a Myr deck baby. Whip out shitloads of Myr with a Darksteel forge *along with a bunch of other cards I cant even remember* and youre unstoppable.

Although, I will say now that Im sure youll now all mention a bunch of crazy ass cards I dont even know about and be like "BWAHAHAHA YOU BE IN THE SUCK BABY."

But I still loves Magic! *sniff*

Seriously though, I stopped years ago but around....2 weeks ago randomly got back into it. So Ill be buying them again even though the new sets started feeling stupid to me. Then I hear about this game and man. Its perfect timing on all fronts.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

electrolyze is great
    not lightning helix great but that's besides the point. because really, what is lightning helix great

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited June 2009

electrolyze is great
    not lightning helix great but that's besides the point. because really, what is lightning helix great
    Lightning Helix and... Jitte?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    G/B control with Braid & Death Cloud was probably my favorite deck.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm sure the decks they put up are going to be creature-filled bash fests (easy for newbs, less aggravating to play against than control or combo), but here's hoping for some silly combo deck I can play around with.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I plan on getting this, but I haven't played magic in over a decade. And when I did play, my friends and I never followed rules and we kept it as simple as possible. So reading this forum I have no idea what the hell most of you are talking about. But feel free to add me to any gamertag list and prepare yourselves for easy wins against me.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    going over the OP I'm still confused on one issue. Is there local multiplayer in a versus mode? I see you can do co-op having a 2nd person local, but all references to vs surround Live play.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Some guys at our local Smash Bros. tournament were playing Yu-Gi-Oh last week. I borrowed someone's deck, got warned that it wasn't very good, and rocked all of 'em. So now I've got the TCG itch again really bad and hopefully this game'll be able to scratch it.

The best part was when I got to say "YOU JUST ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD!"

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

electrolyze is great
    Lightning Helix and... Jitte?

when i made that post this is what i was thinking of

stop that!

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sooo.. How much is this?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    800 ms points
    someone put it in the op

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Neat.
    I guess I'll be buying this then.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    what time are the games usually up wednesdays?

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Some guys at our local Smash Bros. tournament were playing Yu-Gi-Oh last week. I borrowed someone's deck, got warned that it wasn't very good, and rocked all of 'em. So now I've got the TCG itch again really bad and hopefully this game'll be able to scratch it.

sadly I've got some Yugi cards myself. game really isn't that bad, never understood all the hate other than the regular fanboy type hate. most TCG are practically the same with just different themes.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So this close to release and not much on the deck lists. To me the deck lists could break the multiplayer side slightly, I'm still in for the single player either way, but if there isn't a deck I will enjoy playing I can't see multiplayer going on for long (with out download decks) for me.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

sadly I've got some Yugi cards myself. game really isn't that bad, never understood all the hate other than the regular fanboy type hate. most TCG are practically the same with just different themes.
    I was really big into it when I was 15. Really the only reason I quit was because all my friends did.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can sate a Yu-Gi-Itch for fairly cheap by buying whatever the latest version of the DS game is. Full deck customisiation and decent matchmaking for online play. Not a bad package for the price of a DS game.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You can sate a Yu-Gi-Itch for fairly cheap by buying whatever the latest version of the DS game is. Full deck customisiation and decent matchmaking for online play. Not a bad package for the price of a DS game.

I looked into that a while ago, the only problem was that it takes for-fucking-ever to unlock all the cards.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    So this close to release and not much on the deck lists. To me the deck lists could break the multiplayer side slightly, I'm still in for the single player either way, but if there isn't a deck I will enjoy playing I can't see multiplayer going on for long (with out download decks) for me.
    From one of the review videos I found, it looks like one deck per color (this guy had one red and one green, but I don't know if that was just an early version or if we'll be randomly assigned when we start), then you got cards from other peoples' decks (these were all AI opponents) when you beat them. So if you wanted your Blue deck to go Blue/White, you should play one of the guys with white in his deck.

17 max sideboard for any given base deck, no word on whether won cards can be used in any deck or just the one you won them with.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2009

I wouldn't count on it. I'm guessing the decks are going to similar to precons, bash with dudes/combat tricks.

JeffH on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JeffH wrote: »

I wouldn't count on it. I'm guessing the decks are going to similar to precons, bash with dudes/combat tricks.

There are official "Decklist Strategy Mini-Guides" up on WotC's website that are woefully short of actual card information.

Then, more usefully, there's a forum thread compiling decklist information from various promotions for the game.

This looks pretty neat, overall. Hopefully it will do well and they'll bring to to PC someday so I can play too.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    From one of the review videos I found, it looks like one deck per color (this guy had one red and one green, but I don't know if that was just an early version or if we'll be randomly assigned when we start), then you got cards from other peoples' decks (these were all AI opponents) when you beat them. So if you wanted your Blue deck to go Blue/White, you should play one of the guys with white in his deck.

17 max sideboard for any given base deck, no word on whether won cards can be used in any deck or just the one you won them with.

This is fine but I read that there are 8 decks. That doesn't fit the mono color idea 100%.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

This is fine but I read that there are 8 decks. That doesn't fit the mono color idea 100%.

jace - u
    chandra - r
    elspeth - w
    liliana - b
    garruk - g
    ajani - rgw
    sarkhan - rgb
    nissa - gb
    if you can unlock tezz - ubw

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the run down looks like enough decks with black to keep me interested, I tend to enjoy the mechanics used in black cards more so then most colors.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't think of something more pleasurable than 4 x goblin grenade for a win. Something unique about that. Man forgotten empires sucked though.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Or was it called fallen empires?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh god, they're going to drag me in and sell me expansions for 800 points every other week... :(

I haven't played real magic in over a decade, but I still love playing that old Shandalar game on my laptop.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Or was it called fallen empires?

this is correct.

Merfolk lovers everywhere hate you right now btw.

That set was pretty damn bad, most of the older expansion sets were pretty crap imo. To me magic really hit its stride at mirage. Of course I started playing at 4th right before ice age, and have never been much for $1000 deck magic formats. Standard, block, or limited are the only formats I generally like. (I would play extended pre hatred ban. Black Trash ftw)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Oh god, they're going to drag me in and sell me expansions for 800 points every other week... :(

really wish there were some hard info out there on this. I'm really tempted to get the initial game, but won't pay $10 every now and then for just some (digital) cards. Price point for a digi card will hopefully be much lower

I can dream right? :P

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I would assume the expansions will come as similar groups of decks to the initial release for the same price. Reguardless it still destroys the paper cards and other digital game as far as value vs cost in that format.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png