As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XBLA]Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers. Now Available on Steam!!!

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    I went through a Magic phase when I was 14 or something. For a couple months. I had a green deck with something like 10 Craw Wurms in it. If I got even half of them out, the opposition crumbled.

Then again, this was before any expansions. I doubt my Deck O' Craw Wurm Mayhem would hold up today.

Er, you can only have 4 non-land permanents of the same name on a deck...

I suppose either my memory failed me or I was doing it wrong.
    There are several cards that are basically Craw Worm with different names. 6/4 for 4GG, right?

Craw, Yavimaya and Barbtooth Wurms all fit the bill.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, I'm tempted to go the Jace deck route to return to my Blue asshole countering ways. Hmmm indeed.

I checked my balance and I have points left so I'm definitely getting this. Hopefully out by the end of the day.

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I went through a Magic phase when I was 14 or something. For a couple months. I had a green deck with something like 10 Craw Wurms in it. If I got even half of them out, the opposition crumbled.

Then again, this was before any expansions. I doubt my Deck O' Craw Wurm Mayhem would hold up today.

There are several cards that are basically Craw Worm with different names. 6/4 for 4GG, right?

This is another advantage to being on Xbox. No screwups on the rules.

Remember Carcassone? I can't even picture totalling up the score in such a game by hand.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JeffH wrote: »
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    So looking forward to this! A moderate amount of customisation at a moderate cost is fine by me. Keeps everyone on a relatively even power base rather than the 'most money spent wins!' culture of full Magic. I know buying the best cards won't compensate entirely for player skill, but it bloody well helps.

magic isn't at all about "most money wins", unless you want to play a vintage tournament and are willing to spend like 30 bucks. standard is reasonable.

Now anyone who has played much tourn. magic knows in general the rares in the best performing decks are generally also the most expensive ones. Not to say that some decks can't overcome these cards but in general the more expensive decks are easier to win with if you understand the strategy and it fits your style. The only real decks that do well and are cheaper are usually metagamed decks made to counter one or a couple of the top decks in the format. (disclaimer: TheUnsane1 has not played physical magic at a tournament for any constructed format since roughly 2003 and could be wrong.)

you can't play with an all common deck, sure. you need to put in some money, but it's far less than buying a game every month, and probably the same general cost as playing WoW. Even if you get the cards, they don't make you win, especially at larger tournaments rather than FNM.

Again not price checking but I assume that cards like BoP and similar premier level cards still go for insane prices, when I left magic if your deck was multicolor and splashed green at all four BoP was likely in it. at the local card store if you were starting from the ground 4 BoP would run you 85 bucks if you were a regular at the shop, 110 if you weren't. (local shop gave 20% off stickered price to players who played at least 2 FNM or drafts a month.)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I checked my balance on the website and was delighted to see I had plenty of MS points hanging around for some reason. It took a good while before I realised that was Gamerscore, not points... I don't 360 a huge amount.

Of course by then I had my mind set on the game so I'll still be getting it. Wouldn't want to dissapoint myself now.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone try it yet?

I'm trying to download now and I get a stupid error message saying I cant download it now.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So looking forward to this! A moderate amount of customisation at a moderate cost is fine by me. Keeps everyone on a relatively even power base rather than the 'most money spent wins!' culture of full Magic. I know buying the best cards won't compensate entirely for player skill, but it bloody well helps.

magic isn't at all about "most money wins", unless you want to play a vintage tournament and are willing to spend like 30 bucks. standard is reasonable.

Now anyone who has played much tourn. magic knows in general the rares in the best performing decks are generally also the most expensive ones. Not to say that some decks can't overcome these cards but in general the more expensive decks are easier to win with if you understand the strategy and it fits your style. The only real decks that do well and are cheaper are usually metagamed decks made to counter one or a couple of the top decks in the format. (disclaimer: TheUnsane1 has not played physical magic at a tournament for any constructed format since roughly 2003 and could be wrong.)

you can't play with an all common deck, sure. you need to put in some money, but it's far less than buying a game every month, and probably the same general cost as playing WoW. Even if you get the cards, they don't make you win, especially at larger tournaments rather than FNM.

Again not price checking but I assume that cards like BoP and similar premier level cards still go for insane prices, when I left magic if your deck was multicolor and splashed green at all four BoP was likely in it. at the local card store if you were starting from the ground 4 BoP would run you 85 bucks if you were a regular at the shop, 110 if you weren't. (local shop gave 20% off stickered price to players who played at least 2 FNM or drafts a month.)

Birds are ~10 now, and hardly played in any deck besides dark bant, which is a tier 2 deck.

Like I said, coming in from SCRATCH, if you wanted to flat out buy a netdeck it'd cost 200-300. If you are moderately skilled and decided to draft beforehand, or had older cards for trade, you can easily trade into most of the deck buying a few hard to find rares and spend maybe 50-100. If you can't get over this hump, then playing competitively probably isn't for you as this is the easiest part.

JeffH on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GogoKodo wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm tempted to go the Jace deck route to return to my Blue asshole countering ways. Hmmm indeed.

I checked my balance and I have points left so I'm definitely getting this. Hopefully out by the end of the day.

wooooooooooo link is up. queue it now!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410860/

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Download could not be completed."

First time I've ever seen an achievement bubble that made me angry.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GogoKodoGogoKodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Queued!
    Where are you supposed to get this fancy schmancy promo code for a fancy schmancy shiny shiny Garruk?
    http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/dotp/claim

GogoKodo on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410860/

Sweet bought'd now in 7 hours I can download it.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Birds are ~10 now, and hardly played in any deck besides dark bant, which is a tier 2 deck.

Like I said, coming in from SCRATCH, if you wanted to flat out buy a netdeck it'd cost 200-300. If you are moderately skilled and decided to draft beforehand, or had older cards for trade, you can easily trade into most of the deck buying a few hard to find rares and spend maybe 50-100. If you can't get over this hump, then playing competitively probably isn't for you as this is the easiest part.

Another flaw with this is the trading thing, some people are awesome at trading, some people basically give cards away to people who are awesome at trading. Assuming anyone can trade for what they need is some what flawed. We used to play a sealed trade game for money at tourn. some of the kids could turn 5 packs into moxes in about 8 hrs. some kids turned 5 packs into a handful of standard playable rares and uncommons. Not everyone is a salesman.

Either way I am sure magic is a different game then when I left it and I don't doubt this XBLA will get me to go to at least some prerelease events again, because I miss thats stuff so much. I just hope I can get a couple friends into it too so I am not the semi creepy 30 year old guy there by himself that most of my friends and I would talk about at 20.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    corin7 wrote: »

Sweet bought'd now in 7 hours I can download it.
    It had better fucking download before that.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Either way I am sure magic is a different game then when I left it and I don't doubt this XBLA will get me to go to at least some prerelease events again, because I miss thats stuff so much. I just hope I can get a couple friends into it too so I am not the semi creepy 30 year old guy there by himself that most of my friends and I would talk about at 20.
    Back in college, I trained at a dojo that had Saturday training. On prerelease Saturday, I'd go early, get in some training with a couple of the Sensei who were there and then we'd all shower and head to the prerelease.

It's kind of an awesomely scary feeling beating a man at Magic and realizing that on Monday he's going to use you to demonstrate kicks to the white belts.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    It had better fucking download before that.

I am at work... I can't even attempt it before that.

corin7 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think you may be right, but it has been something like 16 years since I've played the game.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm planning on going and getting a 1500 point card when shops actually open today. I'll have 1600 points then, enough for this and either Duke Nukem or Mega Man 9 or something.. Decisions!

Rizzi on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone else incapable of downloading this? Gets to 1% and then says "Hey, not downloading this!"

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You get to 1%? Lucky bastard! Mine just stops as soon as I start.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I'm planning on going and getting a 1500 point card when shops actually open today. I'll have 1600 points then, enough for this and either Duke Nukem or Mega Man 9 or something.. Decisions!

Until you posted this, I had no idea that 1500 point cards existed. I only ever see 1600 or 4000 point cards here in the States.

Mega Man 9 > Duke Nukem, by the way.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Until you posted this, I had no idea that 1500 point cards existed. I only ever see 1600 or 4000 point cards here in the States.

http://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox/product.cfm?id=260&refer=productsearch

I'm always 100 point short of two games when I buy one.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bought'd with some points I had laying around.

I'll get to play it on, oh say, effin' sunday when I finally get back to the states. Sigh.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

http://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox/product.cfm?id=260&refer=productsearch

I'm always 100 point short of two games when I buy one.

I guess the reasoning is that you will never be able to buy just one of them?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Bought'd with some points I had laying around.

I'll get to play it on, oh say, effin' sunday when I finally get back to the states. Sigh.

Don't worry since Live is f'd up we not be able to play until then either.

But they didn't say no with removing our MS points the bastards.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I've seen 800. I usually just buy points through live, even though they're assholes who give you 1000 points which is aesthetically pleasing, but full of 200 points of worthless.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zune cards work. Most people ignore this fact but they do.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The heck is a Zune card.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Anyone else incapable of downloading this? Gets to 1% and then says "Hey, not downloading this!"

Goes to 1% and stops for me too.

Apparently this is an issue that can happen after LIVE has a service upgrade, like yesterday. Try again in a couple of hours.

Good to see that the part of the server that takes my money for Points is doing ok.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The heck is a Zune card.

Zune cards are like XBox Live point cards, but with smaller increments. The points all go to the same place though, so you can use them if you don't want to have left over points sitting in your Live account until the end of time.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    jackal wrote: »
    The heck is a Zune card.

Zune cards are like XBox Live point cards, but with smaller increments. The points all go to the same place though, so you can use them if you don't want to have left over points sitting in your Live account until the end of time.

Edit looks like I was wrong... deleted.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The heck is a Zune card.

Another cool thing with Zune points going to the same place as XBL points is if you get the zune pass you can use the points they give you for 10 songs to keep a month to buy live arcade games.

Wait really? How?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Is that a 14/12 green creature in one of the screenshots?

jackal on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Extremely excited about this, but I've been trying to find out about it on the MtG forums (a bit greek to me as I haven't played since the 4th Edition/Ice Age) and I'm a bit worried that deck building is limited to being able to change upto 17 cards in your chosen theme deck.

BUGGERSTICKS.

(I'll probably still get it though)

EDIT: source

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Unless they changed it the song credits you are given are just in zune points.
    Hmm... digging further it looks as tho they have, I was told by a friend they just gave you 10 songs worth of points.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's a green deck, what do you expect? :lol: And yah, looks like it is.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmm... digging further it looks as tho they have, I was told by a friend they just gave you 10 songs worth of points.

Yeah, that's how it is. I thought maybe there was a magic way to change the song credits into ms points.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lave II wrote: »
    Extremely excited about this, but I've been trying to find out about it on the MtG forums (a bit greek to me as I haven't played since the 4th Edition/Ice Age) and I'm a bit worried that deck building is limited to being able to change upto 17 cards in your chosen theme deck.

BUGGERSTICKS.

(I'll probably still get it though)

EDIT: source

Would you really want to build a full deck with only a controller? This obviously isn't 100% fully accurate MTG but for $10 it should be pretty damn awesome.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ChaosHat wrote: »

Yeah, that's how it is. I thought maybe there was a magic way to change the song credits into ms points.

If only..... It honestly wouldn't hurt them tho, since many people would rather buy some of the content that isn't "All you can eat" like videos or xbl games.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

It's a green deck, what do you expect? :lol: And yah, looks like it is.

I don't know of any 14/12 green creatures. Did they create new cards for these decks?

jackal on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Booooooooo. Download also borked in Europe.

Fixitfixitfixit! Fixitfixitfixit!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif