As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Games suggestions thread!

• Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It may have already been said, but it can't be said enough: you need to buy Valkyria Chronicles. It's just that good. The game is an experience unlike any other I've ever had in gaming. It feels like the SEGA we all knew and loved back when Sonic was still good or during the DC/Saturn age when SEGA had the cajones to release new, amazing franchises regularly.

Valkyria Chronicles gave me hope that SEGA isn't dead. And it's something only your PS3 can play. It's a system must-have.

Further recommendations:

LBP is probably still relatively good even without internet. The story mode levels are really amazing. If you think you've solved the internet problem, by all means get it.

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The first Resistance always gets overlooked in these lists. Personally I think it's superior to Resistance 2 in some ways - weapon loadout (all at once!) enemy AI and general hardiness (you kill twice as many enemies in R2 with half the ammo), and length. The game is fucking long. It's the longest shooter I can remember playing in the last few years. Every time I did a mission that I thought was the last one, another rolled up and said hi.

See this is the main reason I liked R2 better than R1. To me it always felt like it too many shots to kill anything in R1. I especially liked how that in R2 even on the hardest difficulty it didn't take a ton a shots to kill manz. Its actually my biggest complaint about Killzone 2 as well (on the hardest difficulty), the enemies can absorb bullets like a sponge. It makes it feel like your weapons are ineffective garbage. There are better ways to increase difficulty rather than just increasing enemy hp.

I still liked and beat R1 mind you.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought the enemy toughness was pretty logical in R1. You had your weakass enemies like Menials and Greyjacks who you could drop pretty quickly (IIRC a greyjack was pretty weak, even if they were freaky looking late game enemies). You had your grunts, who, as armour wearing, regenerating tough guys should take a few shots to down anyway - but I didn't think it was too many and Howlers who should be tough as alien dogs they weigh a ton. Then you had the big guys like Titans (even bigger regenerating tough guys) Stalkers (walking tanks with a weak spot on the back) and Widowmakers (bio tanks), who could walk through your fire, unless you figured out the secret to killing them in 1-2 rockets.

When Resistance 2 rolled around, you could spray your assault rifle at head height and see 3-4 Grunts drop. Did they lose their healing factor over the 4 years between the games, or did they simply run out of decent metal to make armour so they had to fall back on aluminium? Still, I loved R2, it was a great ride. I personally wish they kept 3 things from R1, which were what set it apart for me. The segmented regen bar (semi health pack, semi regen based gameplay was great), the full weapon loadout (it's not Halo, we don't need to be only using 2 weapons) and the enemy hardiness. But I'd still recommend the hell out of both games to anyone.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I thought the enemy toughness was pretty logical in R1. You had your weakass enemies like Menials and Greyjacks who you could drop pretty quickly (IIRC a greyjack was pretty weak, even if they were freaky looking late game enemies). You had your grunts, who, as armour wearing, regenerating tough guys should take a few shots to down anyway - but I didn't think it was too many and Howlers who should be tough as alien dogs they weigh a ton. Then you had the big guys like Titans (even bigger regenerating tough guys) Stalkers (walking tanks with a weak spot on the back) and Widowmakers (bio tanks), who could walk through your fire, unless you figured out the secret to killing them in 1-2 rockets.

When Resistance 2 rolled around, you could spray your assault rifle at head height and see 3-4 Grunts drop. Did they lose their healing factor over the 4 years between the games, or did they simply run out of decent metal to make armour so they had to fall back on aluminium? Still, I loved R2, it was a great ride. I personally wish they kept 3 things from R1, which were what set it apart for me. The segmented regen bar (semi health pack, semi regen based gameplay was great), the full weapon loadout (it's not Halo, we don't need to be only using 2 weapons) and the enemy hardiness. But I'd still recommend the hell out of both games to anyone.

Also I dont know if I'm the only one but I prefer the presentation of the story in R1 over R2. Yeah R2 had more cutsceens telling the story but R1 just made things clearer when they narated where you were going and why. Both are great games and my love for the R2 co-op will overshadow it's short commings anyday.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, The narration was there in the first game to join together the levels, like why you jumped from one area to another, and it worked well. They took it out of R2 because they wanted Hale to be in charge of the story. But they kept the disjointed levels and didn't do anything to try to explain, say, why you suddenly went from San Francisco to the Orick Redwoods. It just happened.

They brought the narration back for Resistance Retribution, and the story is much like it should have been in R2. The narration explained the changes in scenery, but James Grayson was definitely in charge and was way more developed as a character than Hale was. Hopefully insomniac take some tips from Sony Bend with R3 on how to tell a story and keep the narration.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Ah. I didn't know the PS3 came with an internal wi-fi adapter.. this... changes things.

Also this is the dumbest conversation I've ever had.
    WheatBun001 (7:57:09 PM): Hmm.. the PS3 comes with an internal Wifi adapter
    WheatBun001 (7:57:19 PM): Unlike the 360 which costs 100$ to get one :-/
    GuitarHero1406 (7:57:46 PM): never used the 360 for internet
    WheatBun001 (7:57:50 PM): Well
    WheatBun001 (7:57:55 PM): If it's free
    WheatBun001 (7:57:57 PM): Might as well use it
    WheatBun001 (7:57:58 PM): Y'know?
    GuitarHero1406 (7:58:13 PM): my itouch has free wifi
    GuitarHero1406 (7:58:20 PM): yet my computer is right beside it
    WheatBun001 (7:58:47 PM): If your Itouch can run PS3 games and you can play with other people online then I see your point
    WheatBun001 (7:58:53 PM): Otherwise Apples:Oranges.
    GuitarHero1406 (7:59:22 PM): i thought we were talking about internet capability
    GuitarHero1406 (7:59:25 PM): your changing it around
    WheatBun001 (7:59:30 PM): ...No I'm not.
    WheatBun001 (7:59:37 PM): I said the PS3 had a built in wi fi adapter
    GuitarHero1406 (7:59:37 PM): your just adding other stuffit can do
    WheatBun001 (7:59:42 PM): As in
    WheatBun001 (7:59:45 PM): I can play games online
    WheatBun001 (7:59:46 PM): For free.
    WheatBun001 (7:59:48 PM): Unlike the 360.
    WheatBun001 (7:59:55 PM): Where you have to buy the adapter and pay for the feature.
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:00 PM): never had live either
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:05 PM): but i guess its good for you
    WheatBun001 (8:00:06 PM): I don't see how this compares to your ipod touch
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:29 PM): theres no adapter you have to buy for online play
    WheatBun001 (8:00:40 PM): ...For your Ipod touch?
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:45 PM): ..360
    WheatBun001 (8:00:54 PM): If you use wifi I think you have to.
    WheatBun001 (8:01:01 PM): It doesn't have one built in I think.
    WheatBun001 (8:01:08 PM): I could be wrong
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:09 PM): i woldnt use wifi
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:12 PM): +u
    WheatBun001 (8:01:17 PM): Well the PS3 is in my living room
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:26 PM): really long cable
    WheatBun001 (8:01:32 PM): THat'd be nice to have thru the house.
    WheatBun001 (8:01:36 PM): XD
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:46 PM): in the wall
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:51 PM): itd be tough
    WheatBun001 (8:02:01 PM): That's a lot of trouble considering for 20$ I can just get a wifi adapter..
    WheatBun001 (8:02:33 PM): I don't understand what your trying to argue X_x
    GuitarHero1406 (8:03:23 PM): i dont understand why you still are X_X

What were you trying to argue? :lol:

It's not anywhere close to out yet, but I'm going to recommend the last guardian as a day one purchase.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    It's not anywhere close to out yet, but I'm going to recommend the last guardian as a day one purchase.

Yeah, these are the PS3 exclusives you should probably keep an eye out for:
    The Last Guardian
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
    God of War III
    Heavy Rain
    Yakuza 3 (there are rumours it'll get a US release)
    Demons Souls (unless you want to import it)
    White Knight Chronicles
    Afrika (again, unless you want to import it)
    MAG (I'm not an online shooter fan but my brother is crazy excited about it)

Oh and if you get your PS3 online, I'd suggest these PSN games:
    PixelJunk Monsters (+ Encore if you enjoy it)
    PixelJunk Eden (+ Encore if you enjoy it)
    Super Stardust HD
    Everyday Shooter
    Flower
    Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty
    Wipeout HD

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Super Stardust HD should come on every PS3 by default. :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Ah. I didn't know the PS3 came with an internal wi-fi adapter.. this... changes things.

Also this is the dumbest conversation I've ever had.
    WheatBun001 (7:57:09 PM): Hmm.. the PS3 comes with an internal Wifi adapter
    WheatBun001 (7:57:19 PM): Unlike the 360 which costs 100$ to get one :-/
    GuitarHero1406 (7:57:46 PM): never used the 360 for internet
    WheatBun001 (7:57:50 PM): Well
    WheatBun001 (7:57:55 PM): If it's free
    WheatBun001 (7:57:57 PM): Might as well use it
    WheatBun001 (7:57:58 PM): Y'know?
    GuitarHero1406 (7:58:13 PM): my itouch has free wifi
    GuitarHero1406 (7:58:20 PM): yet my computer is right beside it
    WheatBun001 (7:58:47 PM): If your Itouch can run PS3 games and you can play with other people online then I see your point
    WheatBun001 (7:58:53 PM): Otherwise Apples:Oranges.
    GuitarHero1406 (7:59:22 PM): i thought we were talking about internet capability
    GuitarHero1406 (7:59:25 PM): your changing it around
    WheatBun001 (7:59:30 PM): ...No I'm not.
    WheatBun001 (7:59:37 PM): I said the PS3 had a built in wi fi adapter
    GuitarHero1406 (7:59:37 PM): your just adding other stuffit can do
    WheatBun001 (7:59:42 PM): As in
    WheatBun001 (7:59:45 PM): I can play games online
    WheatBun001 (7:59:46 PM): For free.
    WheatBun001 (7:59:48 PM): Unlike the 360.
    WheatBun001 (7:59:55 PM): Where you have to buy the adapter and pay for the feature.
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:00 PM): never had live either
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:05 PM): but i guess its good for you
    WheatBun001 (8:00:06 PM): I don't see how this compares to your ipod touch
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:29 PM): theres no adapter you have to buy for online play
    WheatBun001 (8:00:40 PM): ...For your Ipod touch?
    GuitarHero1406 (8:00:45 PM): ..360
    WheatBun001 (8:00:54 PM): If you use wifi I think you have to.
    WheatBun001 (8:01:01 PM): It doesn't have one built in I think.
    WheatBun001 (8:01:08 PM): I could be wrong
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:09 PM): i woldnt use wifi
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:12 PM): +u
    WheatBun001 (8:01:17 PM): Well the PS3 is in my living room
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:26 PM): really long cable
    WheatBun001 (8:01:32 PM): THat'd be nice to have thru the house.
    WheatBun001 (8:01:36 PM): XD
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:46 PM): in the wall
    GuitarHero1406 (8:01:51 PM): itd be tough
    WheatBun001 (8:02:01 PM): That's a lot of trouble considering for 20$ I can just get a wifi adapter..
    WheatBun001 (8:02:33 PM): I don't understand what your trying to argue X_x
    GuitarHero1406 (8:03:23 PM): i dont understand why you still are X_X

What were you trying to argue? :lol:

I was just pointing out that the PS3 came with a built in wifi adapater, and he said "Well my Ipod Touch has wifi but you know I have a computer to do that" And I pointed out that you can, you know, play games on the PS3. Online. With Other people. And that was kinda my point. He just made an ass out of himself.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Beware of fanboys. Especially with the PS3. Valkyrie Chronicals IS NOT for everyone and it gets overhyped on here a lot. Not to say you won't like it, just don't blindly buy it thinking that it's the greatest invention since the wheel. I did and after playing it for several hours, I was ready to drive a nail through my head rather than listen to all the shitty anime dialouge.

Killzone 2 is another one. The game is OK.....but there are many issues I personally don't like with the aiming and yes it does take a whole magazine sometimes to kill an enemy. I have played many shooters, Halo 1-3, Call of Duty 1-5, Gears of War, Rainbow Six Vegas 1-2, Battlefield Bad Company and Killzone lies somewhere in the middle. Graphics and presentation are decent, but the gameplay is only mediocre. At times I found myself getting more frustrated with that game rather than enjoying it.

Resistance 1 plain sucks to me. Sorry, just didn't like it.

If there is one game I can highly recommend, if your into the series is Metal Gear Solid 4. That's a game worth buying the system for, that and Gran Turismo if they ever decide to release it. I've also heard a lot of good things about Uncharted and since it's been out for a while, I'm sure you can find it used for a decent price.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Little Big Planet
    Metal Gear Solid 4

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    infamous
    mgs4
    uncharted
    ratchet
    killzone 2 (admittedly not flat out amazing, but good nontheless)
    warhawk

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Uncharted, Uncharted, Uncharted... Get caught up for Uncharted 2, which looks like it's going to be one epic EXTREMELY polished ride (I'm loving the Beta co-op)

Ratchet and Clank - good if you are a fan of the series

MGS4 - killer example of what the PS3 is capable of, extreme amount of detail and a very fun game to boot. Don't worry about being lost in the story as you pretty much have to have a phD in Kojima to understand it anyways.

Dead Space - one of the few multiplatform games that I have for the PS3, and one of my favorite titles from last year.

Killzone 2 - hohum singleplayer, but gorgeous nonetheless. Super fun multiplayer though.

Little Big Planet - f-awesome title if you can take advantage of the user created content. I still find killer new levels every tie I boot up. Extreme replayability.

Demon's Souls - not yet released in the US, but you can pretty easily find a copy on-line. Get the Asian version as it has FULL english VO, menus, etc. Hard as nails action RPG. Got mine from www.japanvideogames.com great company!

Rereading your OP, I emplore you and your dad to go and get a wifi router. If you have broadband you have NO EXCUSE not to. In fact, I'll send you a wifi router if you have no other means. It's THAT important. PS3 is meant to be on-line, and gimped if its not.

IDDQD on
    Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Beware of fanboys. Especially with the PS3.

All fanboys are the same. Thankfully this forum seems devoid of such dribble.
    Killzone 2 is another one. The game is OK.....but there are many issues I personally don't like with the aiming and yes it does take a whole magazine sometimes to kill an enemy.

Yeah, the heavies...
    Resistance 1 plain sucks to me. Sorry, just didn't like it.

No one said you had to like it. Doesn't mean it can't be recommended since the OP asked for exclusive PS3 titles, and R: FoM has gotten some pretty good reviews.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    IDDQD wrote: »

Rereading your OP, I emplore you and your dad to go and get a wifi router. If you have broadband you have NO EXCUSE not to. In fact, I'll send you a wifi router if you have no other means. It's THAT important. PS3 is meant to be on-line, and gimped if its not.

:!:

This is tempting. How much is a decent one?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did no one like folklore? I personally did, was just never able to beat the end boss (for I lost my save file :( )

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did no one like folklore? I personally did, was just never able to beat the end boss (for I lost my save file :( )

I played it a bit before I had to send out my monitor -- it was awesome but very different. It's like Megaman (stealing enemies' powers) on crack mixed with an ungodly amount of fantasy and magical world all wrapped in a uniquely presented candy shell.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what's the best (read: cheapest) way for me to get Siren:Blood Curse in the US? I've been looking forward to playing it, but since it's on the PSN only, they're never going to lower the price from $40. I assume importing a Bluray copy from the UK would be the best idea?

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what's the best (read: cheapest) way for me to get Siren:Blood Curse in the US? I've been looking forward to playing it, but since it's on the PSN only, they're never going to lower the price from $40. I assume importing a Bluray copy from the UK would be the best idea?

Yep, if you have an HDTV, PAL is the way to go. Alternately, they dropped the PSN price to $30 last Halloween - they may do it again.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good to know. After Demon's Souls, I'm really loving this whole region-free thing. I know about importing Japanese stuff, but what're good places to look for PAL imports?

edit: Checking it out, looks like the Asian version has English, too. Bitchin.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd highly recommend Motorstorm Pacific Rift if you like arcade racers. It hasn't got enough love on this forum.

Heavenly Sword is good too, at launch I couldn't have recommended buying it due to the short length but now, with it being on platinum, I can't recommend it highly enough. Awesome production values and a fun game throughout.

Don't know if it's been mentioned as I just skimmed the thread (although I'd place £20 on it that Chance has suggested it already!) but Siren is brilliant if you like Survival horror. Tense and utterly terrifying in places, the sections where you play as a young girl were scary as hell.

Ratchet and Clank is also awesome, don't worry if you haven't played any of the others in the series, I hadn't and still loved it.

And of course Uncharted, my favourite game of this generation (or at least up there with Crackdown in coop).

As has been mentioned if you can get online there's a load of other awesome games like Wipeout HD, Echochrome, Worms (Snazzier than the 360 version), Pain (gets old quick but is cheap and well worth buying), Ratchet and Clank, Crash Commandos and plenty more.

::edit:: If you're up for importing then Demon Souls, Afrika and Aquanauts Holiday are all apparently ace. Sadly I'm too poor to buy them.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good to know. After Demon's Souls, I'm really loving this whole region-free thing. I know about importing Japanese stuff, but what're good places to look for PAL imports?

edit: Checking it out, looks like the Asian version has English, too. Bitchin.

I'm based in Australia but find that right now the UK is the cheapest place to pick things up. This place is where I've been buying through recently since shipping is one pound and then whatever your game costs, arrives a week after ordering usually.

I scored PC Prototype there for AUS$52 instead of shelling out $80-100.

Play-Asia is handy but can get pricey when the dollar isn't doing too well. You do get a $5 off coupon for your next order when you buy from them.

The other I use outside of Ebay is Video Games Plus.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I don't have a PS3 yet but am planning to get one.

Is it true that new PS3s are not backward compatible? Because that would kind of suck.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    So I don't have a PS3 yet but am planning to get one.

Is it true that new PS3s are not backward compatible? Because that would kind of suck.

'Tis true.

20GB, 60GB, and 80GB model CECHExx are the only BC models in North America, IIRC. And since none of them are in production, and the 20/60GB models are oldness, your only hope is to find an old-stock 80GB unit.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh well, I would have liked the extra insurance if my PS2 one day exploded, but it's no deal breaker.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PS2s are better for PS2 game playing than 60GB PS3s anyway so it's no big loss.

I'd really like to give Folklore a try but it's quite hard to find now. Is the DLC any good?

Moioink on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »

I'd really like to give Folklore a try but it's quite hard to find now. Is the DLC any good?

You mean 80GB PS3s, unless you're in the EU.

20GB/60GB ones got full hardware BC over here on the real continent. :P

80GB ones were software-emulation.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Also I should be noted that the BC less units are still ps1 backwardscompatable. It's only ps2 BC that's ever a question.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I don't think any of them are that good :P My PS2 has every hack under the sun (modchip, hacked memory card, HD Loader) which is a feature set no BC PS3 can match not to mention the built-in input lag the PS3 has when playing PS1/2 games.

That's just my needs though, I can see how the 20/60GB PS3 is perfectly serviceable for most, I am just a bit weird having my PS2 collection spread across 3 regions. The software emulation PS3s though are total garbage for playing PS2 games, way too many issues like the infamous Yakuza funeral crash.

Moioink on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So Disgaea 3 is not available at Best Buy nor Amazon. Is this a sign that its approaching obscurity (i.e. Should I buy it now so I don't get gauged later?)

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just finished Dead Space and really enjoyed it. Yes, it's totally derivative, basically a mash-up of Doom and Bioshock, but the weapons feel great, there are some nice puzzles (sections of the game are zero-G) and the combat is satisfyingly brutal.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just downloaded FFVII over the weekend. I had very fond memories from 10 years ago when I first played it, but I forgot just how good that game is. Looks good on my TV, even though there are jaggies and low-res textures galore. The pre-rendered stuff all mostly holds up though. I haven't tried it on the PSP yet because I don't have a memory card that is big enough, but I would think that the PSP is probably the perfect way to play it.

Here's hoping they'll release FFVII, FFVIX, and Vagrant Story.

Halibut on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halibut wrote: »
    Here's hoping they'll release FFVII, FFVIX, and Vagrant Story.

Hahahahahahaha

I'm assuming you meant FFVIII and FFIX, but still, that's a hell of a typo. :lol:

Anyways, I finally got to play Siren: Blood Curse and...wow, I'm not really sure how people can recommend that with a straight face. D:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Uncharted is probably my favorite game on the PS3 so far, followed closely by MGS4. I'm definitely one who's more into story than anything else.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift was also a lot of fun.

Got sick of Valkyrie Chronicles and Little Big Planet before I could finish them, just so you know that not everyone loves them to death.

Am in the middle of not really having anything to play at the moment, I'll have to try out Rachet & Clank sometime. But definitely a bright future with Uncharted 2 and God of War III and Heavy Rain, plus all the crossplatform titles. So still glad I got my PS3 (as opposed to my Wii...).

hottoq on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    has anyone here had a PS3 die? I'm hearing of this "yellow light of death" and it has me slightly wary.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    hottoq wrote: »
    Am in the middle of not really having anything to play at the moment

inFamous.

As for YLOD. I know a few people here have gotten it, but its not an epidemic by any means. I think so far its been older/launch ps3s so if you buy one now I don't think you'll have problems. (I have a 60GB that was manufactured about a year after launch, it still works great.)

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I didn't suffer this "YLOD", but after a year of constant gamming and running F@H when at work/sleep I started to develop some preaty annoying polygon errors. After about another 4 months I started having the system lock up when launching games at that point I sent it in to sony got it back a week later.

After getting my HDMI port fried in a thunderstorm thinking about sending it in again but I'm limping it along with Component cables.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I wasn't really an LBP fan at all. Even the "best" levels that everyone touted as being sooooo good were boring messes.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I wasn't really an LBP fan at all. Even the "best" levels that everyone touted as being sooooo good were boring messes.

Did you play with friends or alone? Because with friends LBP is quite a lot of fun, I could see why people would not like it single player though.

greeble on

• Options
    hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I played the inFamous demo and thought it was decent, but a couple of the reviews sorta put me off buying it... especially the ones saying the story wasn't that well done, and I'm not sure if I love sandbox type games after I pretty much hated (or at least got really sick of) GTAIV.

hottoq on