As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Creating a new character sheet

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Critical Failures
I've never played D&D before, and I'd like to create a character sheet in order to get started.

I'm using an online forum to play D&D, eventually, and they have their own online version of the handbook (Apparently not illegal), so I don't have an official handbook, for the record.

So, are there any guides available on how to fill in a character sheet?

Centipeed on

• Options
    Eela6Eela6 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    First off, good to hear another player's getting into Dungeons and Dragons.

Secondly - 90% of the rules are available online at d20srd.org - feel free to browse them at your leisure. If you use Firefox, there's a search bar you can download that will make things much easier for you - if you want to know a Cleric's spells-per-day at fifth level, simply look it up.

Third - If you want to fill out a character sheet, I'd recommend using some version of 3eprofiler. If you want to use the latest version of 3eprofiler, it's available at Myth-Weavers.com (or in a redirect link from 3eprofiler.net). It's called Overfiend, and it has a number of useful features, including the ability to go back to a previous version of the character sheet.

It has a number of useful features.

Lastly, if you ever need help, simply ask on the boards or PM me. Good luck!

Eela6 on
    I took three ranks in Craft - Technobabble last level.

DP Code - 3050 4223 5906
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Eela6 wrote:
    If you use Firefox, there's a search bar you can download that will make things much easier for you - if you want to know a Cleric's spells-per-day at fifth level, simply look it up.

The Hypertext d20 SRD is what he's talking about.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Err, there is a bit of a (legal) problem with telling you how to create a character, in as much as Wizards of the Coast removed those sections of the rules from the System Reference Document (the on-line manual you referred to) on purpose, and those sections are still copyrighted and not licensed for distribution like the rest, unfortunately.

So, reproducing the character creation rules verbatim here violates the Forum rules. Additionally, certain parts of character creation may have been altered by your GM to suit their own purposes; the most common variation is in the basic stat generation; yu should talk to them if that is the case...

Of course there are other online resources that can help:
    Invisible Castle is an online dice roller which records results for you and has a specific "stat generator" suited to most typical d20 based game systems.
    3Eprofiler - Online character sheet database, provides an on-line character sheet that you can fill in and which is also partially automated in terms of weight limits and modifiers and such. Just looking at the character sheet will give you some clues ass to what you need to create a character.
    Downloadable Character Sheets - Wizards own site provides several free resources, including these character sheets. Browse around from there and see what you can find.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Eela6 wrote:
    First off, good to hear another player's getting into Dungeons and Dragons.

Secondly - 90% of the rules are available online at d20srd.org - feel free to browse them at your leisure. If you use Firefox, there's a search bar you can download that will make things much easier for you - if you want to know a Cleric's spells-per-day at fifth level, simply look it up.

Third - If you want to fill out a character sheet, I'd recommend using some version of 3eprofiler. If you want to use the latest version of 3eprofiler, it's available at Myth-Weavers.com (or in a redirect link from 3eprofiler.net). It's called Overfiend, and it has a number of useful features, including the ability to go back to a previous version of the character sheet.

It has a number of useful features.

Lastly, if you ever need help, simply ask on the boards or PM me. Good luck!

The board I have just joined already uses 3EProfiler.. It's given me an electronic character sheet to fill in. However, that's not my problem. My problem is that I don't know HOW to fill it in. What steps to take etc.

Centipeed on