As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

properly disposing of a hard drive

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell#BLMRegistered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
one of my hard drives was failing on me (the bearings were starting to grind) so i replaced the drive. but now i'm stuck with a semi-working old drive that i'd like to get rid of.

i would like to properly dispose of the drive. since i can't use the drive anymore, there's still data on it i'd like to completely wipe out. i also want to make sure the drive gets recycled and not contributes to the tons of electronics pollution already around. are there places that erase and recycle old drives?

ffNewSig.png
steam | Dokkan: 868846562
fightinfilipino on

• Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    you can erase it securely yourself using Boot and Nuke

http://dban.sourceforge.net

I don't know about recycling it, though.

Kriz on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If it still runs in your computer, repeated wipes with random data will irrevocable remove whatever information was on it. The DoD standard (5220.22) says a three-pass wipe is enough, but that was written back in 1995. GNU Shred defaults to 25 passes, and that's more than enough for anyone, really.

If it doesn't still run because it's broken anyway, well, it's a bit harder. You'd need to degauss it or incinerate it (heat it to above the Curie point of the platters) to ensure that no data remains on the drive.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    A hammer is the surest and most fun way to dispose of a hard drive, especially if it belongs to someone else. Not too eco friendly, but 100% reliable. You just keep pounding the thing until it ain't really reconizable anymore.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    A hammer is the surest and most fun way to dispose of a hard drive, especially if it belongs to someone else. Not too eco friendly, but 100% reliable. You just keep pounding the thing until it ain't really reconizable anymore.

You'd have to be really thorough to destroy the platters that way. (Unless you opened up the hard drive first, of course.)

Most small banks will dispose of old hard drives by drilling them open, sanding down the platters, and throwing them in a furnace (or by hiring an outside contractor). Most large banks (or most outside "data disposal" contractors) will have a degaussing machine.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    (holy crap, my OP is pretty badly written!)

well, i can't actually connect the drive to my computer anymore since it doesn't physically work, so i guess it'd be the degaussing or incineration solutions.

i'd rather do the degauss and recycle way if that's possible.

no, i don't want to take a hammer to it D:

should i just go to a local bank and ask them?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    DoD standard (5220.22) says a three-pass wipe is enough, but that was written back in 1995.

I thought it was seven.

Grimm on
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've always been told that hammering a nail through the thing is a pretty good way to stop data being read off of it.

area on