As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Inexpensive but nice Ukulele?

RecklessReckless Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all,

I've been on a bit of a Ukulele kick lately. I guess I could blame Dent May's latest album. But yeah, I'm looking to get a cheap one just to learn a few tunes and generally screw around on. I've been playing guitar for around five years, so I'm not exactly a beginner. I just don't know what to look for in a decent Uke. Are there any brands out there known to be inexpensive but good for the money?

Thanks for any help.

Reckless on

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd go with a Rogue. Rogue isn't the best, but what they do well is incredibly cheap instruments.

If you want to just start off some where, Rogue seems like a good place.

Sheep on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You probably need to have one and play with it a while before you really know what you're looking for. For a lot of non-guitar instruments, even the cheap ones are pretty good, since the reduced demand means there are fewer low-cost producers trying to cash in on disposable instruments.

Although given the hipster/uke fad, that might be changing.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd pick a cheap one off of Musician's Friend, play it, get a feel for it, and then go to a few stores and play some of the fancier ones.

Figure out where your cheap one is lacking, and try to find a mid priced one that really satisfies what improvements you'd like.

Sheep on