As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any reason to choose an Android phone over the iPhone 3GS?

2»

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    On the topic of a 6Gig Data plan, just as a reference, I've got the 2Gig plan, and I've never come NEAR to 2 gigs.

That being said, I have WiFi at home and at work, but I do check weather, email, stocks, and do the odd web browsing/IM when I'm out and about. Oh and youtube video browsing as well.

So if the 6 Gig dataplan is looking a bit much price-wise, and if you aren't going to be tethering and download songs away from home/WiFi signals, 2Gigs is actually a lot, at least IMO.

I've had my iPhone since last september. I download a lot of apps, and use it to sync three different mail accounts. I don't watch a huge amount of youtube, but I do stream pandora and MLB games a lot.

I've used a TOTAL of 2.5 gigs.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Trillian wrote: »
    You wouldn't have to revert to the old shitty data plan after you get it. What's written in your contract is what you pay. They cannot change that. If they do, then tell them to go fist themselves and take your money (and iphone) elsewhere.

yeah, unless the contract states that the iphone's promo data plan only lasts X number of months. Which is the exact situation I'm referencing as a possibility, and if it IS the case, will prevent me from getting one, period.

And there's nowhere else TO take an iPhone for me.

Also, Dark_Side, thanks for proving that you didn't read the first post, at all and have nothing of any value to contribute to this thread. You know lots of people pull infractions in H/A for that sort of thing, right?

Unlock that sum'bitch and put it on Fido.
    I know it's a Rogers subsidiary and all, but if you turn off data altogether then you have an ipod touch with phone capabilities.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    You wouldn't have to revert to the old shitty data plan after you get it. What's written in your contract is what you pay. They cannot change that. If they do, then tell them to go fist themselves and take your money (and iphone) elsewhere.

yeah, unless the contract states that the iphone's promo data plan only lasts X number of months. Which is the exact situation I'm referencing as a possibility, and if it IS the case, will prevent me from getting one, period.

And there's nowhere else TO take an iPhone for me.

Also, Dark_Side, thanks for proving that you didn't read the first post, at all and have nothing of any value to contribute to this thread. You know lots of people pull infractions in H/A for that sort of thing, right?

Unlock that sum'bitch and put it on Fido.
    I know it's a Rogers subsidiary and all, but if you turn off data altogether then you have an ipod touch with phone capabilities.

annnnnnd that's not at all what I want. I want to use the data options.

The data plan for $30 is pretty good, if I can pair it with a dirt cheap voice plan. The only other data plans available would still be like a $20 add-on anyhow, so paying an extra $10 ain't so bad even if I don't often hit the 6 GB. Though with tethering I might rack up a bit.

and regarding this:
    robotbebop wrote:
    Although the one thing the HTC doesn't come with is people being pricks about you having an iPhone; for some reason having an iPhone instantly makes you a pretentious fuck in the eyes of some people. It could be anybody you know.

I'm pretty comfortable with punching such an individual right in the mouth, so that's not really a problem either.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pheezer, what'd you end up deciding? I'm an existing Rogers customer with an iPhone since June/July so i can get a 32Gig 3GS for about $299... Just wondering what you ended up doing.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just bought my first iphone,
    and after using the g1 for 8 months,
    unless you're one of those types that can't adjust to a touchscreen keyboard
    buy the fucking iphone.
    1infinitibillionforever times 2 infinitibillionforever better than the g1.

We're talking streamlined user experience, functionality, download speeds, GPS reception... it's just so much better.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Pheezer, what'd you end up deciding? I'm an existing Rogers customer with an iPhone since June/July so i can get a 32Gig 3GS for about $299... Just wondering what you ended up doing.

I got the iPhone and I don't know that a new device has ever made me so happy. Everything is just satisfying as all fuck about it. The maps especially, it loads up lightning fucking quick, locks onto your location pretty rapidly, and all that nifty shit. The video recording is badass, though it's not SO hot in really low light. Really is meant to be used outdoors in the daytime, but it's functional.

I grabbed the 16GB. Totally glad I did.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am sold.
    Getting the 32GB one in August.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I got the iPhone and I don't know that a new device has ever made me so happy. Everything is just satisfying as all fuck about it. The maps especially, it loads up lightning fucking quick, locks onto your location pretty rapidly, and all that nifty shit. The video recording is badass, though it's not SO hot in really low light. Really is meant to be used outdoors in the daytime, but it's functional.

I grabbed the 16GB. Totally glad I did.

Lime'd for truth.
    It's a beautiful piece of technology.

my commendations to apple.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    bendodsonbendodson Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Ketar wrote: »
    I can't think of a single thing about it that I like that can't be done with an iPhone though (other than the gimmicky metal detector app which has no real value beyond novelty, and even that might be possible with the new iPhone)

Yes it's possible on the iPhone 3GS because it has the built-in compass like the Android does

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJzccKLSdhA

bendodson on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Depending on how sensitive the compass is, I can see it being used to create some really cool and unique games that experiment with augmented reality.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My 3 year contract with Rogers will finish in November, and I think I'll be snagging an iPhone 3GS when it does. Given that on a 3 year contract, the phone only costs around $300 Canadian for the 32gig version, I'm sorely tempted to get it now, but I'm trying to remain patient, and hope that by the time November rolls around, I might get an even better deal (due to a possible decrease in the phone cost with the 3 year plan in the ensuing 4 months and perhaps wrangling something with Rogers for said next phone to lock me down again).

But it's really, really tempting to just say Fuck It and snag one this month.

I don't even have one and I'm already keeping an eye out for apps I'd like.

The ability to have every Magic card in existence browsable on the go is highly appealing.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i'm about ready to break down and buy the 3GS too, but i'm in the States. does jailbreaking the phone also unlock it so that you can use the iPhone with other providers? and presumably use other companies' 3G networks?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2009
    i'm about ready to break down and buy the 3GS too, but i'm in the States. does jailbreaking the phone also unlock it so that you can use the iPhone with other providers? and presumably use other companies' 3G networks?

Well, T-Mobile is the only other provider that the iPhone would work with (sprint/verizon are CDMA), and they use different bands for their 3G network. So you can unlock it and use it on T-Mobile, but you'll only get EDGE. No 3G.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Jailbreaking doesn't unlock it, but it does allow it to be unlocked.

Also, the 3Gs currently cannot be jailbroken or unlocked.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?