As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are We Tapping Yet?

george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUfEcwfGNg

Heard a bit about this game a while back, but didn't really pay much attention. Contrary to popular belief, this is not a sequel to "Let's Fap", the Japanese 4chan Wii game, but rather a totally new IP from Sega in the vein of DDR.

From Gamespot:

"-Silent Blocks is kind of like Jenga, in which the goal is to not have your tower keel over after you pluck out a block. There are a couple of modes within this game, Unlimited and Alchemist. Unlimited is played with as many players as you like, hotseat style, where you have a stack of blue and red pentagon-shaped tiles and you must take turns pulling one out by tapping until someone topples the tower. A cursor is constantly cycling through and highlighting each tile, so you must tap once to select which tile you want to remove, tap again to pick a direction that you want to pull it from, and then tap repeatedly to slide it out. You'll watch the entire tower wobble around as you do this, but as long as it stays standing, you're in the clear.

-The Alchemist mode--which can be played solo or multiplayer--is like a match-three mode, in which you pluck out tiles so that there are at least three of the same color stacked on top of each other. Once that happens, the tiles disappear to create a new color of tile, and more blue and red ones will drop to fill in the space.

-The last game type (not including Visualizer, which we will get to later) is Bubble Voyager, in which you control a creature--which kind of looks like NiGHTS in a space suit--with a bubble-spewing jetpack in a side-scrolling environment. Each time you tap, your pack pumps out bubbles, giving your character a slight upward boost; otherwise you'll fall to the bottom of the screen where harmful lasers will immediately fire at you. You have to do some careful tapping to remain in the center of the screen, and you also have to avoid mines and asteroids and other obstacles. A hard tap will launch missiles, which can clear out some of the obstacles in your way. There's a multiplayer version in which you each control a battleship that continuously rotates, so you need to gently tap the box--also powered by bubbles--when your ship is facing the direction you want to go. Power-ups are available for you to pick up while dodging asteroids, so it's a bit of a hectic mode, but it's fun as well."

Anybody picking this up? Between Prototype and Ghostbusters, I might wait a little bit - but it looks pretty unique.

roster.gif
george-x on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I may have to wait a bit also but yes I will definitely tap this game.
    By turning it sideways.
    And tapping on it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am totally picking this up when it releases here this friday.

(and no, I'm absolutely not getting Let's Catch then, god that looks horrible)

Also, title should be "I'd tap that", or [Let's Tap] I'd tap that. Because G&T loves [brackets]

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That family is the happiest fucking family.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish that family would stop smiling at me. D:

Also I do like the ESRB notice. COMIC MISCHIEF! Oh shit, this game might make me giggle myself to death! Ban this sick filth.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So this is pretty much Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat with a box then?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What are they tapping on? Can anything work?

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That family seem to be enjoying it too much. If I had a Wii, this is the sort of thing I'd want to buy.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Off they would promote the game with a custom tapping surface that is not included in the game. The 1up review mentioned a tissue box worked good. I guess it comes with the boxes in Japan, but not on these shores.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Giant Bomb has a video of Let's Tap. They use some huge boxes.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does the game come with it's own over-sized box to use for tapping? Or is that some fucking 3rd party $rape? Hell I moved last year and I don't think I can find any boxes to use.

Also, who else wanted that girl to punch that kid in the mouth when he elbowed her? WHO'S SMILING NOW?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am terribly uninterested in the game, but that commercial is great.

I want a family that happy.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So why not just tap the buttons on the controller? Sure its been done before but you won't look like a jackass doing it.

Omega on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Omega wrote: »
    So why not just tap the buttons on the controller? Sure its been done before but you won't look like a jackass doing it.

Totally, I always play DDR using the joysticks, who wants to jump around and look like a tool.

If you're concerned how you look playing a game you'll probably want to stick to PCs in the coming years.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Totally, I always play DDR using the joysticks, who wants to jump around and look like a tool.

If you're concerned how you look playing a game you'll probably want to stick to PCs in the coming years.

And what the fuck is with these people having fun playing with plastic toy instruments? Moar liek Guitar Queer-O, M I Rite?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Judging by the video I don't think the tapping adds to the experience like using the dance pad or guitar.

Tapping two spots next the controller instead of pressing the two buttons on the controller just looks stupid to me.

Omega on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess it's supposed to appeal to those parents who are terrified of a controller? But then again, they did buy a video game console.

But hey, if I can just drum on a box, I can play this with my kids! We can have family nights, and Susie won't go down the path of prostitution and Billy won't be doing lines in his room while listening to METAL.

I do feel like the advertising will work for some, though.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The game is pretty fun and since it isn't full price like in Japan, if you like fun arcade like games and have friends to play with, this should be a blast. I would link to my import review, but I dunno if I can :P

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do it! Link. Link. Link

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Judging by the video I don't think the tapping adds to the experience like using the dance pad or guitar.

Tapping two spots next the controller instead of pressing the two buttons on the controller just looks stupid to me.

Buttons are not as sensitive to motion as a remote. I can't lightly tap a button with my whole hand and be able to count on it accepting the input, I have to actually press it. This is just beating on a drum. In fact I've known a lot of people who can't drum buttons very quickly (because of that extra precise forced press) but would have no problem hitting a box.

Of course the game could be done with buttons, but yeah, that's been done before. They're adapting a non-standard control scheme to some classic concepts and I see no reason to fault them for it unless the game itself is awful.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Peewi wrote: »

That is hilarious.

Anyone know how it works? Does it use the accelerometers, or do they use the microphone on to listen for taps?

If it's the latter.. I suspect within a week we'll have people rigging up speakers playing pulsed audio to get optimal tap speed.

xzzy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    xzzy wrote: »

That is hilarious.

Anyone know how it works? Does it use the accelerometers, or do they use the microphone on to listen for taps?

If it's the latter.. I suspect within a week we'll have people rigging up speakers playing pulsed audio to get optimal tap speed.

Uhhhh, the Wii remote has a speaker, not a microphone.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That is hilarious.

There's no microphone in the Wii remote, only a speaker.

If there was and it did use it, I don't know how you'd be able to rely on it in multiplayer, or if someone was just saying "tap" or whatever...actually that might be an interesting control method, based on sound input.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That is hilarious.

There's no microphone in the Wii remote, only a speaker.

If there was and it did use it, I don't know how you'd be able to rely on it in multiplayer, or if someone was just saying "tap" or whatever...actually that might be an interesting control method, based on sound input.

I knew I'd heard something about a mic though, and googling, it looks like there's just a little chip in there that could be used with a microphone for turning speech into digital pulses. I suppose in theory you could read voltages from the speaker and use that as a microphone, but I doubt the wiimote has the circuits to let you do this.

I guess the accelerometers work okay, seem a little bit too sensitive though.

Maybe some clever hacker could take little vibrating motors from pagers and use those to generate taps. ;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wasn't this Yuji Naka's creation? Either way, it has some ridiculously catchy music, so I have to check it out at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dStRY8gxWB0&feature=related

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think the tapping would be more integrated with the rhythm sections, and that tapping would feel funner than hitting a button in time with the screen. Like bongos.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In fact I've known a lot of people who can't drum buttons very quickly (because of that extra precise forced press) but would have no problem hitting a box.

Lol your friends are old and weak.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I got this mail in the mail today. Played around with Tap Runner it's OHMYGOD hard. I also played the Jenga style game, especially the Alchemist game where you have to make matches (I was impressed with the one level 4 block that I made in 15 minutes, turns out that there's two levels more D:) Visualiser was also fun, but the Rhythm game was the best. I started with the Let's Tap theme song and it just clicked. Got an S rating right away, and it's the most fun I've had with a rhythm game ever.

This game is fantastic!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png