As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I got this with my game today. I love it, unsurprisingly.
    Slime speaker and hand rest

And if any of you are tiny, they are coming out with some t-shirts.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    oh my god thats the best shirt i have ever seen in my life

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That is one seriously awesome shirt.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Matthew wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Matthew wrote: »
    Can you guys clear something up for me?

I thought that even if you played the game solo, you still got a full team of characters (4)? But now i'm hearing that you NEED multiplayer in order to have more than just your hero. What's up?
    Where did you hear that?

I believe I heard it on Kotaku.

And yes, I want one of those DSi covers too, I had a DQV one for my DSLite, but it wore out eventually. I don't acually have a DSi yet, but i'm saving up money for it (50 dollars and i'm ready), plus I don't know what colors to get yet.

From what I've been reading on GAF, you create your full party, so don't worry about that.

I want this game ;_;

I almost want to import it, even though I wouldn't be able to read a word of it. Then again I managed to beat pokemon G/S in japanese back in 2000 as a 10-year-old, so I dunno.

To sate my DQ hype/lust right now I just ordered DQH:Rocket Slime, I've played it before, but don't currently own it.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    41OFAIasDaL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is the shirt we are talking about, in case anyone was too lazy to click the link or had it filtered out.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Goddamit, everything Japanese is expensive. Stupid expensive shirt, grumble grumble

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hi guys, I've been playing the game for about five hours. I'm going to try and answer some of your questions and give some information about the game you might find interesting. Everything is spoilered, but this is just in case you don't want to know ANYTHING about DQIX at all. Nothing I'll write is going to be spoilerific:
    1) The game has an hour long prologue sequence.

2) You start the game as a "Traveler". According to the instruction manual, I will be able to change my class once I find the shrine of Dhama.

3) You can't create allies until about three hours into the game. Your allies are create in DQ3 fashion with the character creator (you can set skin color, hair type, hair color etc)

4) The game is on the easy side. On the other hand, I've found the bosses pretty challenging.

5) The skill system from DQ8 is back.

Ok, some story stuff:

In this game you play the role of an angel sent down to earth to collect "Star-Aura". If you bring enough star-aura, it said that the world tree will bear the Goddess Fruit, and open the path for the angels to return to God's side. Star-Aura is created from the people of the world giving thanks to the angels. So, basically, you do good deeds, amass star-aura, and then hand it over to the world tree.

Spoilers for the first 30 mins
    Ok, it's not really that simple. At the start of the game, the world tree has almost already borne fruit. After giving it just a little star-aura, the fruit grows, but there is a huge explosion and your character,an angel, loses his wings/halo and gets thrown down to earth. The (at least, first part of) game is about your journey as an Angel whom has lost his wings in order to restore a special ship (it looks like a train though) that can take you back to the Angel world. After completeing the first town, you'll gain access to Ruida's tavern where you can recruit your own party members.

The soundtrack is fantastic, and the game really does look nice. It's just a shame that we're stuck playing it on a tiny portable screen instead of a real TV.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    The soundtrack is fantastic, and the game really does look nice. It's just a shame that we're stuck playing it on a tiny portable screen instead of a real TV.

Some of us prefer portables, so I wouldn't call that a downside =P

Zerokku on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So how much personality, if any, do your created allies have?
    Is there party talk, and if so is it worthwhile?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

I don't know how you could possibly prefer your long RPGs to be played on tiny screens with uncomfortable controls. To me, that's the exact opposite of ideal for the kind of game I want to be playing for several hours at a time.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I almost never play any RPG for 'hours at a time'. I mean, seriously, RPGs are perfect for 'pick up, couple of battles, maybe a chest, put down again'.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I remember playing Dragon Quest on my game boy color. Can't actually remember which number it was, but it's pretty fun.

Any PAL date so far?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I guess I'll spoiler this because I'll be asking about something you spoilered, Cyg:
    You mentioned that the main characters are angels that are sent to collect star-aura by doing good deeds. This sounds like a good way to setup the quest system, but drastically different from your typical Dragon Quest game. I'm sure there'll be some ultimate story boss, but has anything been mentioned about it yet as far as you've gotten in the game? I don't really want to know any specifics about it, I'm just curious if there will be a main story boss. I haven't heard anything about it at all in any news about the game.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I don't know how you could possibly prefer your long RPGs to be played on tiny screens with uncomfortable controls. To me, that's the exact opposite of ideal for the kind of game I want to be playing for several hours at a time.

Unless I'm playing something like MP:H, I've never felt uncomfortable playing a DS game, even for several hours. And I've never understood the tiny screens argument, they're large enough for what they do. If anything, I hate being tied to my TV with a console. On a console I only have one area I can be to play it, but with a handheld I can sit/lay wherever the hell I want.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Unless I'm playing something like MP:H, I've never felt uncomfortable playing a DS game, even for several hours. And I've never understood the tiny screens argument, they're large enough for what they do. If anything, I hate being tied to my TV with a console. On a console I only have one area I can be to play it, but with a handheld I can sit/lay wherever the hell I want.

I agree, the DS screen is a fine size for looking at and I've almost never had any problems with the controls, stylus or no. Heck I played at least a dozen RPGs on the GBA before DS and loved that, and I've had a dozen more on the DS since. It's a great system for RPGs.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I much prefer RPG's on handhelds most of the time.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Either way is fine for me. A good game is a good game, the platform I play it on is usually irrelevant. Though since I moved in with my girlfriend and have 2 puppies now, I much prefer playing RPGs on my DS, since I can move around more easily and don't have to hog the TV.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The DS has comfortable controls.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Man, I remember playing Dragon Quest on my game boy color. Can't actually remember which number it was, but it's pretty fun.

Any PAL date so far?

I gave a PAL date in the OP.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just saw this at GAF -
    It's not from Sinobi but:

2,877,000 for DQIX, Day-one. I am unsure the source, so it goes in the rumor pile for now. Unbelievable if true, though.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pata wrote: »

The DS has comfortable controls.

Maybe for people with normal-sized hands. I have big ones and find most handhelds (well, these days, all handhelds) tremendously uncomfortable.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

No personality, no party talk.
    Pureauthor wrote:
    I almost never play any RPG for 'hours at a time'. I mean, seriously, RPGs are perfect for 'pick up, couple of battles, maybe a chest, put down again'.

Wow, I've never disagreed with anything more. RPGs are for when I want to get sucked into another world and completely lost in it. Generally speaking, I'll play an RPG for at least two hours at a time. The DS controls are way too tiny for my manly man-hands. I actually wish there was a way to output the bottom screen of the DS onto my computer, even if it would pixilize the image. Then I could just play the game with my 360 controller.
    SlayerVin wrote:
    You mentioned that the main characters are angels that are sent to collect star-aura by doing good deeds. This sounds like a good way to setup the quest system, but drastically different from your typical Dragon Quest game. I'm sure there'll be some ultimate story boss, but has anything been mentioned about it yet as far as you've gotten in the game? I don't really want to know any specifics about it, I'm just curious if there will be a main story boss. I haven't heard anything about it at all in any news about the game.

Yes, that's only the initial set up. Once the World Tree goes berserk, you'll lose the ability to see star-aura. The quest system seems to have nothing to do with star-aura, at least at this point. As far as I can tell, storywise, one hundred years ago the world was plagued by all sorts of problems. When the world tree went crazy, there was an earthquake and all these old problems started resurfacing. To the point I've played though (the third town), the antagonist has not yet been revealed.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just saw this at GAF -

2,877,000 for DQIX, Day-one. I am unsure the source, so it goes in the rumor pile for now. Unbelievable if true, though.

I wouldnt say unbelievable.

The most popular game series in Japan that effectively creates work holidays when they are released, on the most popular gaming system in Japan.

Seems like a recipe for record breaking sales to me.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys:

2,343,440 sales in first two days according to Famitsu.

2,318,932 (81.56% sell-through) sales according to Media-Create.

Beats out DQVIII's 2,238,000 sales, but we'll have to see its legs.

(Should this go in the sales thread?)

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Pureauthor wrote:
    Wow, I've never disagreed with anything more. RPGs are for when I want to get sucked into another world and completely lost in it. Generally speaking, I'll play an RPG for at least two hours at a time. The DS controls are way too tiny for my manly man-hands. I actually wish there was a way to output the bottom screen of the DS onto my computer, even if it would pixilize the image. Then I could just play the game with my 360 controller.

I wish I still had the kind of life that would let me play games at two hours a clip. Nowadays I'm lucky to pull half an hour to myself, but honestly I'm at a stage now where putting that much time per play session into a game doesn't appeal to me anymore. Portable gaming fits my lifestyle more anyway since I commute a lot, and so DQIX looks perfect for my tastes.
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Hey guys:

2,343,440 sales in first two days according to Famitsu.

2,318,932 (81.56% sell-through) sales according to Media-Create.

Beats out DQVIII's 2,238,000 sales, but we'll have to see its legs.

(Should this go in the sales thread?)

miyamotoiwata.jpg
    41OFAIasDaL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

<3 Though arguably the second-best piece of DQ swag available. I'd put this first:

picture4uuy.png

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just saw this at GAF -

That's perfectly believable. DQ7 sold more than that, day one, and it was just on the PSX, not on god's own handheld.

KiTA on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Just saw this at GAF -

That's perfectly believable. DQ7 sold more than that, day one, and it was just on the PSX, not on god's own handheld.

The internet is reporting that the previous day one sales record in Japan was 2.5 million for FF7. DQ7 was a top seller but I'm only seeing around 3.5 million overall which would make 2.5 mil day one sales incredibly front loaded!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    <3 Though arguably the second-best piece of DQ swag available. I'd put this first:

picture4uuy.png

I need this hat. It's imperative you tell me where to buy this hat.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »

picture4uuy.png

I need this hat. It's imperative you tell me where to buy this hat.

Pricey, but I think they might still be available. Also have some pretty sweet (and hella expensive) Smile Slime hawaiian shirts. :)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Just saw this at GAF -

The internet is reporting that the previous day one sales record in Japan was 2.5 million for FF7. DQ7 was a top seller but I'm only seeing around 3.5 million overall which would make 2.5 mil day one sales incredibly front loaded!

I wouldn't be too surprised. DQ isn't exactly the kind of game that sells on word of mouth. I'd wager most people that want it know it's coming and they want it as soon as humanly possible.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I've heard that spells don't transfer over from class to class. Does anyone know if skills transfer over? If not, it sounds kind of boring since there'd be no custom classes.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

No personality, no party talk.
    Damn.
    That's a small strike against the game, then.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just give them personalities. Use your imagination. It's not hard.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    spongebob.jpg

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I've heard that spells don't transfer over from class to class. Does anyone know if skills transfer over? If not, it sounds kind of boring since there'd be no custom classes.

From GAF:
    Job system isn't inflexible, it just isn't all encompassing, at least as I see it so far. Skills carry over and many jobs have a hodgepodge of healing spells now where before it was focused on just a few classes. So there won't necessarily be a requirement to have a priest although it'll be incredibly useful.

Another detailed point with some stuff spoilered:
    Spells are not skills. Unique abilities of the priest class are like:
    an ability to tell how much experience your characters need to level up, an ability to remove curses from party members, a self-buff that blocks instant death attacks, a self-buff to boost recovery magic potency, and things like that. There's also passive buffs like "recovery magic+20" which... I just can't see being very useful on jobs besides priest! Either way, they're not spells. They go into their own 'skills' menu.
    All DQs since 5 also have the distinction between skills and spells... it just never really meant anything until now.

I told myself I wouldn't peek at the JP impressions, but my inner DQ fanboy is coming out and I can't help myself. It's going to make the wait for localization so, so painful. :( In the meantime, a desire for player-designed parties will probably get me to go back and finish Etrian Odyssey since I've left both of those unfinished.

Lunker on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    spongebob.jpg
    Great minds, Zerokku:
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The only thing that worries me about this is, whenever you have a fully customizable party like this, the characters can't really have any personal stake in the plot. If your second character is a female thief and mine is a male cleric, the same events will happen to them regardless. I like it better when the characters are part of the plot in RPGs. Now, instead of having those key plot people along with me, they're more easily forgettable NPCs that stay in one town and repeat the same two things whenever I talk to them afterwards.
    IMAGINATION

spongebob.jpg

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    spongebob.jpg
    Great minds, Zerokku:
    Terrendos wrote: »
    The only thing that worries me about this is, whenever you have a fully customizable party like this, the characters can't really have any personal stake in the plot. If your second character is a female thief and mine is a male cleric, the same events will happen to them regardless. I like it better when the characters are part of the plot in RPGs. Now, instead of having those key plot people along with me, they're more easily forgettable NPCs that stay in one town and repeat the same two things whenever I talk to them afterwards.
    IMAGINATION

spongebob.jpg

:^:

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

From GAF:
    Job system isn't inflexible, it just isn't all encompassing, at least as I see it so far. Skills carry over and many jobs have a hodgepodge of healing spells now where before it was focused on just a few classes. So there won't necessarily be a requirement to have a priest although it'll be incredibly useful.

Another detailed point with some stuff spoilered:
    Spells are not skills. Unique abilities of the priest class are like:
    an ability to tell how much experience your characters need to level up, an ability to remove curses from party members, a self-buff that blocks instant death attacks, a self-buff to boost recovery magic potency, and things like that. There's also passive buffs like "recovery magic+20" which... I just can't see being very useful on jobs besides priest! Either way, they're not spells. They go into their own 'skills' menu.
    All DQs since 5 also have the distinction between skills and spells... it just never really meant anything until now.

I told myself I wouldn't peek at the JP impressions, but my inner DQ fanboy is coming out and I can't help myself. It's going to make the wait for localization so, so painful. :( In the meantime, a desire for player-designed parties will probably get me to go back and finish Etrian Odyssey since I've left both of those unfinished.

Okay, that sounds much better than not having anything carry over. Worries averted.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I personally prefer to think of generic party members as mons. No characterization? Who cares! They're not the ones on the adventure, the inexplicable godlike being that is moving them around and making them perform attacks is the one who matters.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    jothki wrote: »

I personally prefer to think of generic party members as mons. No characterization? Who cares! They're not the ones on the adventure, the inexplicable godlike being that is moving them around and making them perform attacks is the one who matters.

Since Dragon Quest IV then series has consistantly featured interesting characters as party members. The only other game in the series with complete generics is III. It doesn't ruin the game for me, but I am disappointed that the people I'm traveling with aren't memorable like Ragnar, Yangus, Bianca or Hassan were. The game feels like your hero is on a journey with his/her sidekick. Your companions all disappear during cut-scenes, and never utter a single word.

The exploration element feels very toned down here as well. There are only 2-3 set places to go on each sub-map of the overworld. Hopefully the game will open up after a point. There are other disappointments too, like no Casino. Also, the dungeons all seem to be generic crawls, no gimicks or puzzles to solve.

CygnusZ on
This discussion has been closed.