As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• Options
    MonkeyDLuffyMonkeyDLuffy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are there any items that increase steal chance, and if there are, how rare/hard to find are they? I'm in
    Gleeba
    right now, if that makes any difference.

MonkeyDLuffy on
    I am very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Stealing is tied to Deftness, so anything that ups that will up your chance of stealing. It's barely noticeable. The steal rate is just really low.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are there any items that increase steal chance, and if there are, how rare/hard to find are they? I'm in
    Gleeba
    right now, if that makes any difference.

Anything that increases DEFTNESS. Usually a good pair of gloves bumps it nice.

I think anyway

Algertman on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm wearing a full set of thief gear on my thiefy, and am getting what seems like about a 1 in 3 steal chance now. So upping deftness definitely helps.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm gonna make a statement that sleeping at the Inn at Stornway is necessary for items to respawn on the map. Went to Slurry Quay to get Fresh Water...nothing. Stayed at the Slurry Quay inn...nothing. Saved at the Slurry Quay priest, shut off the game, and restarted...nothing. Stayed at Stornway...five Fresh Waters. There's most likely a time component as well, but to get them to respawn once that time limit has been reached you have to stay at Stornway.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just hit Zere Rocks, looking for some info:

1) For the thief quest, where can I find a war mech?

2) For the monk quest, where can I find scarewolves?

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Just hit Zere Rocks, looking for some info:

1) For the thief quest, where can I find a war mech?

2) For the monk quest, where can I find scarewolves?
    The mechs are in Bad Cave like the guy that gave you the quest said. :P You'll go there eventually.

Scarewolves are in the woods around Bad Cave or south of Slurry Quay--there's a Big Badboons and a spawn point for Nectar there.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there a way to open your quest log?

Also, is there a way to know what some of your attributes do? Charm, for example

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Is there a way to open your quest log?

Also, is there a way to know what some of your attributes do? Charm, for example
    Open the Battle Records (select or through the X Button Menu) and there's an option for it.

Read the instruction book. :P But, Charm adds to your Equipment's style values for your overall Style stat. Style sometimes makes monsters waste a turn admiring your characters, and if it's significantly high can paralyze or confuse them.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    At what point in the story is there an opportunity to turn in mini medals? I'm to the seaside Leviathan town....

hamdingers on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Right after that, actually, in Dourbridge.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't get the "Zere" pun... anyone mind explaining it?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I don't get the "Zere" pun... anyone mind explaining it?
    Zere itself isn't a pun.

Zere Rocks, though
    is a copy of the town of Zere. Zere Rocks = Xerox

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, if you mean Zere Rocks it's xerox, a copying company and the town zere rocks is a copy of zere.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Finally got the ship ...
    and man, this game should have been called Depression Quest IX. Outside of the Erinn and Jack of Alltrades quests, I think every single vignette has been more sorrowful than the last. DQ has always had some down moments, but man.

I've already put about 22 hours into the game! I didn't realize how much time I was taking doing quests and hunting for alchemy ingredients until this morning.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lunker wrote: »
    Finally got the ship ...
    and man, this game should have been called Depression Quest IX. Outside of the Erinn and Jack of Alltrades quests, I think every single vignette has been more sorrowful than the last. DQ has always had some down moments, but man.

I've already put about 22 hours into the game! I didn't realize how much time I was taking doing quests and hunting for alchemy ingredients until this morning.
    I started a new game, but before that I had gotten all seven fyggs, and I can say that the Marion/Marionette stuff was the most depressing of all the fyggs so there's that at least?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, I tried searching this thread to see if someone had a similar problem but with the gladiator(I think its the gladiator one) class quest:
    I just had an extended battle where I psyhed up and killed 5 slimes using dragon slash (thought i needed 5, but its only 3 actually), but only got credit for 1. Then, I tried again in another slime battle, and didn't get any credit for two others I killed using dragon slash while having maxed tension. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: The only thing I can think of is that they can only be injured by the dragon slash. Is this true?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok, I tried searching this thread to see if someone had a similar problem but with the gladiator(I think its the gladiator one) class quest:
    I just had an extended battle where I psyhed up and killed 5 slimes using dragon slash (thought i needed 5, but its only 3 actually), but only got credit for 1. Then, I tried again in another slime battle, and didn't get any credit for two others I killed using dragon slash while having maxed tension. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?
    Are you sure you're at max tension? Max is 100, not 50. Also they have to be the basic blue slimes. Not She-Slimes or King Slimes or anything like that. Beyond that, it may be you can only get credit for one per fight, I'm not sure. I did it outside Angel Falls and never ran into more than one slime in a battle so I can't say for sure.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Are you sure you're at max tension? Max is 100, not 50. Also they have to be the basic blue slimes. Not She-Slimes or King Slimes or anything like that. Beyond that, it may be you can only get credit for one per fight, I'm not sure. I did it outside Angel Falls and never ran into more than one slime in a battle so I can't say for sure.

Don't really think its a spoiler but whatever.
    I used the slimes that always just call for more slimes (to form a King Slime) and had a similar problem. The full-tension dragon slash USUALLY counted, but sometimes didn't. Maybe the slimes need to be at full health?

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I am outside of Bloomingdale. I'm here because the ones outside Angel Falls kept running away before I was at max tension. Either that or the other place that has slimes they kept forming the 3 slime stack before I could slash them. Outside of Bloomingdale they form King slimes, but not till there are 8 of them so its easier for me to keep them in check.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Don't really think its a spoiler but whatever.
    I used the slimes that always just call for more slimes (to form a King Slime) and had a similar problem. The full-tension dragon slash USUALLY counted, but sometimes didn't. Maybe the slimes need to be at full health?

Yeah, really probably don't need spoilers for this. But thats the only thing I can think of, that they need to be at full health. I'll try again tonight.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was just usin' spoilers cause you were. :P

If you want to do it on the ones outside Angel Falls, just use War Cry or Snooze or anything else that makes them lose a turn to keep them from running.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I was just usin' spoilers cause you were. :P

If you want to do it on the ones outside Angel Falls, just use War Cry or Snooze or anything else that makes them lose a turn to keep them from running.

Does this work on metal slimes too? 'cause thats the problem I was having with the armamentalist class quest as well. Damn coward slimes.

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nope. Or, if War Cry does work you need to be significantly higher in levels. But it's better to just assume it doesn't.

If you want to cheese that quest, just teach everyone Metal Slash and Wizard Ward and then switch to a bunch of low level, sword using classes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bought an Ice Axe. Need an "Agate of Evolution" and 1 more Ice Crystal to turn it into an Avalanche Axe. Not sure where I get either, to be honest. AoE appears to be the go to item for ultra high end crafting, so... Yeah. Fun.

Goal for the day is either to gear up and do this quest I need a silver shield for, or buy/sell enough to move on to Gold Mails instead of Ear Cozies.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Agates of Evolution:
    After you complete a post-game quest you'll be able to access a bunch of areas that were cut off due to cliffs or rocks or whatever. I forget exactly where it is, but there's a merchant that sells the Cronocrystals you need to alchemize the agates. The cost 50,000 gold a pop if I recall correctly.
    So yeah, money!

Goldhawk00 on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Treasure Maps. When, how, where?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I loved Dragon Warrior 1 + 2, and I loved Blue Dragon for the art style. I also love classic and modern RPG's. Is this game for me?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Yes.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hmmmm, if I see it while mullin' around San Diego maybe I'll pick it up.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Treasure Maps. When, how, where?

You'll stumble on the first one on your way to Zere Rocks—the dude lying on the ground that's almost impossible to miss. After that, I'm not sure how new ones open up. And if my experience is any sort of general representation, you'll be sorely underleveled and -equipped for the boss of the first grotto you uncover. :(

EDIT: And jeddy lee, yes yes yes! The game is tailor-made for old-school RPG fans, though it does have modern adaptations, like class changes that let you customize abilities and such across jobs, and randomly generated optional dungeons that drill up the difficulty massively. The biggest complaint I've seen with the game is that it doesn't have the more focused, developed, plot-involved party members of some other DQ games and RPGs—you create new blank slates for your party, and they have zero input in the story—so it's much more like the excellent DQIII in this regard.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    you'll be sorely underleveled and -equipped for the boss of the first grotto you uncover. :(

Righto. I'm around 30 and just finishing up Alltrades. Am I over leveling?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    you'll be sorely underleveled and -equipped for the boss of the first grotto you uncover. :(

Righto. I'm around 30 and just finishing up Alltrades. Am I over leveling?
    ...yes. A lot. I was level 15 at the end of Alltrades. :lol: Hell, I had all seven fyggs at the 26-28 range.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    jeddy lee wrote: »
    Hmmmm, if I see it while mullin' around San Diego maybe I'll pick it up.

You'll go out of your way to get it and LIKE IT.

No excuses.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goldhawk00 wrote: »
    Agates of Evolution:
    After you complete a post-game quest you'll be able to access a bunch of areas that were cut off due to cliffs or rocks or whatever. I forget exactly where it is, but there's a merchant that sells the Cronocrystals you need to alchemize the agates. The cost 50,000 gold a pop if I recall correctly.
    So yeah, money!

What quest is this?

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    MonkeyDLuffyMonkeyDLuffy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just made some Fire Blades, they're pretty awesome. It's nice to be on the giving end of Fire Breath instead of the receiving end for once. I made a lightning conductor too; I just wish that the alchemically-improved versions of the "use in battle to cast a spell for free" wands (sentencing -> divine judgement, lightning staff -> lightning conductor) actually improved the spell effect, as opposed to just making the attack power and MP drain better.

MonkeyDLuffy on
    I am very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ...yes. A lot. I was level 15 at the end of Alltrades. :lol: Hell, I had all seven fyggs at the 26-28 range.

Oh. I kept wondering why everything was dying so quickly. Sorry, I'm in Etrian mode.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Goldhawk00 wrote: »
    Agates of Evolution:
    So yeah, money!

What quest is this?

Quest 39, opens up after beating the final boss and starts in Porth Llaffan, talk to Jona Jones I believe.

Goldhawk00 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Then again, it's stupidly easy to loose track of time grinding for alchemy mats with your Thief.

Mostlyjoe13 on
This discussion has been closed.