As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Prayer rings are amazing.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    I'm almost certain it's supposed to be in-game hours...

I really hope not. I wish it was more like TWEWY where you could just cheat and advance your DS clock to force time forward. Waiting between 1-6 hours in game just to get some alchemy items to spawn is evil (for my must-have-it-now personality). And yeah, I realize the items I'm trying to farm now won't matter in 15 levels or so because I'll be needing a higher tier of materials to alchemize the best equipment.

And maybe that's exactly why they didn't do it the TWEWY way. Stop exploiting. :P
    Talith wrote: »
    Prayer rings are amazing.
    Until they disintegrate on you.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just make another one.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    They aren't exactly easy to make though, especially since you need them for a lot of other recipes. Might be cheaper just using Magic Waters on a time/cost basis.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    When do they break? I've used mine probably 30-40 times now and still going strong.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lucky. D:

Mine broke after like 5 uses. I guess it's random.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's gotta be random then; I'm sure I'll eventually shed a tear as it falls apart on me. In the meantime it has made grinding a lot more bearable since I can just spam skills with impunity.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    If you can, make a Goddess Ring. Restores MP just by walking around.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'll have to look into it. I've mostly stopped crafting once I realized the main quest line is easy and following it gives me direct access to increasingly better gear that I merely have to pay for it instead of scouring the earth for materials.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I dunno, I made a Tortoiseshell Fan as soon as I hit Alltrades and haven't had to even think about upgrading since. Well, except for the time I debated alchemizing the next level of fan. It can be worth it.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I dunno, I made a Tortoiseshell Fan as soon as I hit Alltrades and haven't had to even think about upgrading since. Well, except for the time I debated alchemizing the next level of fan. It can be worth it.

That same fan has carried me through with no qualms as well—I noticed that it's available to buy in a store in Bloomingdale, though, so I'm assuming it'll be surpassed soon after this.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There are some alchemy combinations that work really well for how early you can obtain them. Once you hit Bloomingdale you can grab a Battle Fork there and upgrade it twice to a Trident with just some coral. You can also get a Fur Vest really, really early, if you're willing to sacrifice six magical beast hides to do it.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

That same fan has carried me through with no qualms as well—I noticed that it's available to buy in a store in Bloomingdale, though, so I'm assuming it'll be surpassed soon after this.
    Surpassed, sure, but given that this is a Dragon Quest game it'll still be a valid weapon for at least two more towns after that. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How accommodating is the game to unusual party combinations? A lot of the specialty classes look really interesting to me but I always feel like I must have a priest, and really really need a mage and a tank, leaving me only the 4th slot to play around with.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Right now I have an Armamentalist, a Paladin (note, all points in spear and some in shield), a Mage, and a Thief.

I'm doing alright with the basic healing spell on the Pally, the basic healing spell on the Thief, Caduceus on the Mage and on rare dire occasions I just use some items.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lunker wrote: »

Surpassed, sure, but given that this is a Dragon Quest game it'll still be a valid weapon for at least two more towns after that. :lol:

Just turn it into a Black Tortoiseshell Fan.

It's nice making items long before you're supposed to be able to acquire it. Like my Rune Staff and Fire Sword and Ethereal Robes and Shield.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's what I'll end up doing once these Royal Soil spots respawn.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Goldhawk00Goldhawk00 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You can also steal Royal Soil from the Moai heads that spawn south of the cave to Zere Rocks. So much less of a pain even with a terrible steal rate.

Goldhawk00 on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh boy I sure do love having two quests that involve getting regular critical hits.

Woo.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh boy I sure do love having two quests that involve getting regular critical hits.

Woo.

I guess you haven't reached the quest where you have to kill two enraged enemies with critical hits?

Calaveron on
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    How accommodating is the game to unusual party combinations? A lot of the specialty classes look really interesting to me but I always feel like I must have a priest, and really really need a mage and a tank, leaving me only the 4th slot to play around with.

It's pretty accommodating. You definitely don't need a priest and a mage, because you don't really need a priest except for bosses and harder mobs. Especially if you have someone with Hustle Dance or something like that. The game is quite flexible on the roles different classes can actually perform so it's more about creating a synergy of skills than a synergy of classes, to an extent. One good way to do it is to have one or two of your characters able to switch roles and classes when you want. My priest is my mage when I don't need a dedicated healer which is actually pretty often (once again, mad props to the hustle dance conveniently keeping everyone topped off against normal monsters).

Athaedos on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is there a limit to how much you can build up your characters?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    darkmayo wrote: »

Level 99 in each class I believe.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Calaveron wrote: »

Woo.

I guess you haven't reached the quest where you have to kill two enraged enemies with critical hits?

That's one of them. The other requires me to kill three golems with critical hits. Trying to do both at the same time.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Actually, in the post-game once you hit 99 in a class you can reset it to level 1 so you can keep getting skill points (you keep all the skill points you've put into it from 1-99 the first time)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Actually, in the post-game once you hit 99 in a class you can reset it to level 1 so you can keep getting skill points (you keep all the skill points you've put into it from 1-99 the first time)

Good grief.

How many more skill points would you need to max out everything?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've so far defeated two golems with critical hits. One of them was angry at the time.

Just one to go, probably.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think, if you took all the classes from 1-99 you'd be about 400 points off from maxing all the skills, so it'd be all the classes to 99 and then two reset and from 1 to 99 again.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    99 levels=200 points

12 classes x 200 points per max level=2400

26 abilities x 100 max points=2600

2600-2400=200

200=99 levels

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think, if you took all the classes from 1-99 you'd be about 400 points off from maxing all the skills, so it'd be all the classes to 99 and then two reset and from 1 to 99 again.

Except you wanna reset every class 10 times for the accolades. :P

Dracil on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Lave Lumps, where do I get them please? And a partisan.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Elin wrote: »
    There's a spawn point to the west of Alltrades, I believe. Beyond that I don't know. Partisans are bought in...Batsureg? I think.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Elin wrote: »

This should totally be in the OP.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    Right now I have an Armamentalist, a Paladin (note, all points in spear and some in shield), a Mage, and a Thief.
    Athaedos wrote: »
    It's pretty accommodating.

That's great to hear. I think I'll try to go a lot more outside the box with my first playthrough.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Note that bards and thieves both get healing spells, though they'll have less mp to spend than a priest.

jothki on
  • Options
    overdriveGTOoverdriveGTO Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got by on my first play with Martial Artist, Minstrel, Thief, and a Mage with wands for heals. You could even spec someone fans to get a group heal.

overdriveGTO on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As long as you buy lots of medicinal herbs to make into good healing items you can go without a Priest.

In other news, I was Metal Medley hunting and managed to get two critical hit kills in a row.

It was awesome.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Man, the scroll thing is annoying. You only get one of each, and only one character can learn those skills. I may end up just throwing it all on the MC even though it means I can't use most of the skills at the same time.

Dracil on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Man, the scroll thing is annoying. You only get one of each, and only one character can learn those skills. I may end up just throwing it all on the MC even though it means I can't use most of the skills at the same time.

The "block every critical" scroll is priceless for my paladin.

quaigy on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hephsatuersssdfs Flame. I need them. I don't see any mobs that drop them in the guide. I can see one in a chest in a dungeon coming up, but besides that, nothing. Ideas?

Esh on
This discussion has been closed.