As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Quest IX: RIGHT NOW in North America. Go Buy It!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    I gotta ask, why is Dragon Quest series so popular? Everything I read/see about it just seems so standard.

I am not trying to shit on the series or anything, I am legitimately puzzled at its crazy popularity in Japan.

Because it invented the standard.

Every single JRPG owes it's existence directly to Dragon Quest. It invented every single standard and cliche the genre uses.

Well I don't know about that. Final Fantasy initially derived a ton of their gameplay from Dungeons and Dragons. Of course it wasn't long before they were mimicking DQ in many ways like adopting MP rather than spells per day.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dragon Quest 4 or 5 for DS. Where should my dollars go?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Four, without a doubt. But I'm one of those weird guys that don't really like five at all.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

My personal vote is 4, though I'm probably biased as I loved the NES original in my childhood. They're both great and almost entirely separate, so you don't really need to play one before the other. Both take very different approaches to storytelling: 4 is split into five chapters, each focusing on different characters and ending with the big fifth chapter, where everyone comes together and joins up to take down the ultimate evil. 5 follows one boy across three different generations as he grows up and adventures. 5 also has monster recruiting, and the bulk of the early game has you with only monster party members that you can recruit, equip and level up.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

For me 4 was my favorite in the whole series. Until I played 5.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll go with the vote of V myself.

And even though its not a numbered game, Rocket Slime. So awesome.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, no RPG series nails gameplay balance or polish like the Dragon Quest series.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I was really pleased to find that I loved the shit out of 5, even though the DS version was my first time ever playing it. It kind of reaffirmed that why I liked the series wasn't purely out of nostalgia, though I guess DQ's design in general kind of has a nostalgic earnestness to it.

4 sticks with me more just because I don't really like monster recruiting and party members in general; it feels random sometimes and I start to feel a sense of obligation to try and recruit everyone I can and then compare them to see who's best. Luckily, 5 didn't give me any problems, as the Slime Knight is easy to pick up and can last the entire game, and I also lucked out and picked up a Golem pretty quickly.

Also, Taloon. <3

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I was really pleased to find that I loved the shit out of 5, even though the DS version was my first time ever playing it. It kind of reaffirmed that why I liked the series wasn't purely out of nostalgia, though I guess DQ's design in general kind of has a nostalgic earnestness to it.

4 sticks with me more just because I don't really like monster recruiting and party members in general; it feels random sometimes and I start to feel a sense of obligation to try and recruit everyone I can and then compare them to see who's best. Luckily, 5 didn't give me any problems, as the Slime Knight is easy to pick up and can last the entire game, and I also lucked out and picked up a Golem pretty quickly.

Also, Taloon. <3

Taloon is the man! The localization they did on the 4 remake on the DS kind of annoyed me with the wierd accent thing for everyone. Makes sense but it got in the way of the nostalgia. In 5 I just used my slime knight and it took awhile but I finally got a metal slime... because slimes rule.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    I'll go with the vote of V myself.

And even though its not a numbered game, Rocket Slime. So awesome.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, no RPG series nails gameplay balance or polish like the Dragon Quest series.

3 words: Paper Mario 2.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Rocket Slime didn't mesh with me. Maybe it gets better later on, but the part I played seemed to be basically Clunky Zelda: Extra Easy Edition.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    Rocket Slime didn't mesh with me. Maybe it gets better later on, but the part I played seemed to be basically Clunky Zelda: Extra Easy Edition.
    Rocket Slime is the best Zelda clone there is.

Opium on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

IV is worth playing, but V is the better game.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

It's a really easy game overall, but I still found it fun and charming. Did you do any of the more crazy tank battles? That's where the game really shines. Outrigging the tank and then weathering the chaos of battle has kind of a CCG feel to it.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    Rocket Slime is the best Zelda clone there is.

This.

And you play as a slime. And have gigantic tank battles. You can even shoot yourself out of a cannon to wreck your opponents tank.

What is there not to love?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    DQ IV has both Taloon and Alena.

No contest.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rocket Slime was one of the first games I got when I got my DS. Yeah, it was easy but it was so much fun. Thought I did groan every time I had to fight the "Chrono Twigger".

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Imran wrote: »
    I gotta ask, why is Dragon Quest series so popular? Everything I read/see about it just seems so standard.

I am not trying to shit on the series or anything, I am legitimately puzzled at its crazy popularity in Japan.

There's rarely a time when you're playing a Dragon Quest game when you think "Man, this is just fluff to pad out the time for the game."

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I recall in every Dragon Quest game I've ever played that the amount of gold each monster drops is pitifully low. What this equates to is an insane amount of grinding outside of each and every town to gear your party up.

Dragon Quest games do have a lot of charm. That I'll give them. I love the art style too. The main plot is usually forgettable, but all the tales of the ordinary folk you meet and help along the way are always entertaining.

Dragon Quest pretty much invented the gaming genre trope of grinding and it's the grinding that usually bores me enough to shut off the game permenantly.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you're grinding in a Dragon Quest game, one of two things is true:

1. You are doing because you think it's fun

or

2. You are doing it wrong

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

or

3. For some reason you think it'll be worth it to fight that optional boss that needs to be defeated 8 times to get anything good.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

There's rarely a time when you're playing a Dragon Quest game when you think "Man, this is just fluff to pad out the time for the game."

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I recall in every Dragon Quest game I've ever played that the amount of gold each monster drops is pitifully low. What this equates to is an insane amount of grinding outside of each and every town to gear your party up.

Actually, what this amounts to is that you have to make decisions over which equipment to buy. Shopping for equipment actually means something in Dragon Quest games whereas in most RPGs, you just buy every upgrade you see every time 'cause you have so much money.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Gilder wrote: »

or

3. For some reason you think it'll be worth it to fight that optional boss that needs to be defeated 8 times to get anything good.
    I just sort of lumped that into 1, but yeah. That too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I recall in every Dragon Quest game I've ever played that the amount of gold each monster drops is pitifully low. What this equates to is an insane amount of grinding outside of each and every town to gear your party up..

Then don't buy everything right away.

Buy what you feel is most important, the thing that's needed the most.

Heck, gear isn't that important in DQ games. Heck, I'll often simply forget to buy new gear for hours at a time and next thing I know I have 10000 gold and characters with weapons and armor ten towns out of date.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

or

I don't know you aside from your posts in Dragon Quest and SMT threads, but I would jokingly refer to what you just described as "Gilder Syndrome".

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    SlayerVin wrote: »

or

I don't know you aside from your posts in Dragon Quest and SMT threads, but I would jokingly refer to what you just described as "Gilder Syndrome".

Pretty much. I just hate having one last thing in the game to be completed and the optional bosses are usually it. DQ4's gave you the last person for the immigrant town and DQ5 gave the last knick-knack. In no way were those things remotely useful, especially the knick-knack because it takes like 20 fucking hours of grinding to beat him in the required turns, but I had to have them. I needed 100%. I actually did the same thing in DQ7 and 8 because I beat those optional bosses enough times to get everything as well. DQ5's was the only one that really pissed me off though. It's just a grindfest to get the item, there's no skill required.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

or

Pretty much. I just hate having one last thing in the game to be completed and the optional bosses are usually it. DQ4's gave you the last person for the immigrant town and DQ5 gave the last knick-knack. In no way were those things remotely useful, especially the knick-knack because it takes like 20 fucking hours of grinding to beat him in the required turns, but I had to have them. I needed 100%. I actually did the same thing in DQ7 and 8 because I beat those optional bosses enough times to get everything as well. DQ5's was the only one that really pissed me off though. It's just a grindfest to get the item, there's no skill required.
    Will it help you to know that the reward you get in DQVI is actually pretty nifty?
    When you beat the super boss under x number of turns and then go to the regular final boss, the super boss shows up and is like "wow. no" and blows the normal boss away, so you don't have to fight it

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    Has anybody here played DQ Wars already? Is it good?

Dragon_Quest_Wars.jpg

Opium on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

or

Will it help you to know that the reward you get in DQVI is actually pretty nifty?
    When you beat the super boss under x number of turns and then go to the regular final boss, the super boss shows up and is like "wow. no" and blows the normal boss away, so you don't have to fight it

Yeah I heard about that, it sounds amazing. Anyone who got that knick-knack from 5 deserves a reward that awesome from the next boss, because god damn that turn requirement is too low. DQ7 had the turn thing as well, but I always finished like 4 turns under it. 5 I'm pretty sure I beat on the turn with my last attack. I think I was in the high 60's/low 70's as well with the best equipment for everyone.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Dragon_Quest_Wars.jpg

It isn't out here in the states yet, but when it is...

That and Oregon Trail for DSiWare totally justified my purchase of my DSi.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pata wrote: »

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. I recall in every Dragon Quest game I've ever played that the amount of gold each monster drops is pitifully low. What this equates to is an insane amount of grinding outside of each and every town to gear your party up..

Maybe that's part of my problem. Other RPGs have left me with the impression that I NEED that upgrade before I continue. I should try a DQ game without that mentality, I may enjoy it more.

Then don't buy everything right away.

Buy what you feel is most important, the thing that's needed the most.

Heck, gear isn't that important in DQ games. Heck, I'll often simply forget to buy new gear for hours at a time and next thing I know I have 10000 gold and characters with weapons and armor ten towns out of date.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woo, I want Oregon Trail so badly...when is it coming out?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

No clue. There's been no word since the E3 invitation leak.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

But..but..I want to die of Dysentery. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

or

I was the same way growing up. My birthday and christmas are 6 months apart, and those were the only times I would get new games, so I would almost always make sure to ask for RPGs and play the absolute shit out of them until I got every last thing possible.

Since I have a good amount of disposable income at this point, and not a lot of free time, I tend to buy and play a lot of games expecting to 100% them, but then get bored and move on to one of the many other games I have collecting dust on my shelf.

I keep meaning to go back to DQ8 to beat those super bosses. I ended up beating one or two of them before my aforementioned need for something new kicked in.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
  • Options
    edited July 2009

But..but..I want to die of Dysentery. :(

Don't we all. Don't we all.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009

Dragon_Quest_Wars.jpg

It isn't out here in the states yet, but when it is...
    Neither is DQ9 and yet here we are.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Dragon Quest games do have a lot of charm. That I'll give them. I love the art style too. The main plot is usually forgettable, but all the tales of the ordinary folk you meet and help along the way are always entertaining.

Dragon Quest pretty much invented the gaming genre trope of grinding and it's the grinding that usually bores me enough to shut off the game permenantly.

Dragon Quest is far more about skills than it is weapons.

Sure, you shouldn't be using the starting sword against the end boss, but you never have to grind for weapons. If you can afford it, great. If not, you'll find something in the dungeon.

Buy what you can and use those people to with improved weapons to balance out those you couldn't afford to upgrade yet until you get the money (guaranteed by just finishing a dungeon) or find better items (not guaranteed, but super likely).

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009

How much does a traditional JRPG really depend on skill, though? Isn't it more about, say, wit, and perseverance?

Opium on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

How much does a traditional JRPG really depend on skill, though? Isn't it more about, say, wit, and perseverance?
    Skills. Plural.

Like, magic, battle techniques, etc.

In V, you had a lot of monsters that could do really devastating attacks at no MP cost. Grinding for a weapon for them doesn't seem like a big deal.

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.