As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah I thought it was pretty obvious why he was acting so cold and detached

he's a newly born virus avatar incarnate

all he knows is destruction, and he's still learning to be human

I thought it was pretty neat

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dr.Tongue wrote: »
    Why do you guys even care about the reviews? You already bought the game and you are having fun with it.
    I have played it for about 12 or so hours and have had blast nearly every time i have started the game up.

Because as fans we would like the game to do well so we can get a squeal and support for the current game. Bad reviews mean that less people will buy it. If not enough people buy it, no sequel. At least not likely.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why do you guys even care about the reviews? You already bought the game and you are having fun with it.
    I have played it for about 12 or so hours and have had blast nearly every time i have started the game up.

I care about the reviews because I want to see this game succeed, thus rewarding Radical and increasing the chances they will follow it up with a sequel and stick with all the best parts, not give it a shitty draw distance and saddle it with the mighty post-filter brownness of realism +3 because a bunch of game journalists can't handle a next-gen game that doesn't blind you with HDR and can barely handle a couple of cars blowing up.

edit: I see your repeated stealth edits Zzulu, you awful little chap.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    THe game does have flaws. You have to concentrate to really tear up and that's not for everybody. Games need to be user friendly.
    The events don't give you much help and much of it you are left to deal with alone. So the game doesn't guide you very much.

These actually are flaws. You shouldn't have to find the hint text orbs to know critical things.

The ai is terrible because the ai is terrible as well.

For example I was trying to be stealthy for fun in a new game plus and a marine running away from my tank ran under my treads. If the ai went BOOGA WOOGA if you killed anybody that would have been instant alert.

So the ai is dumb because it's too dumb to be smart.

Also even though you can recover instantly, some people don't like being knocked off their feet.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    because a bunch of game journalists can't handle a next-gen game that doesn't blind you with HDR and can barely handle a couple of cars blowing up.

It's actually a current-gen game. The Xbox 360 and PS3 are current-gen consoles. Because they're here now. They've been here for a couple years. It's this generation.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i actually thought the game was a little easy most of the time

Once I got the blade drop, it almost became too easy

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm only talking about the end game rockets spam.

It's easy to tear up only when you learn to prioritise the main rocket threats and be constantly alert for helicopters. It's choppers who are the biggest threats, you need to kill them asap, ignore the tanks till you are done.

If you get lazy and pay too much attention to a tank all the helicopters throw homing rockets at you.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Dr.TongueDr.Tongue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Because as fans we would like the game to do well so we can get a squeal and support for the current game. Bad reviews mean that less people will buy it. If not enough people buy it, no sequel. At least not likely.

Are these numbers really bad? 7s and 8s seem to say that the game is above average and it has its flaws. You also have threads like this one where the people in it almost universally agree that the game is good. The way I see it having a group of gamers praise the game like in these thread carries just as much weight as as a big name reviewing site. After all I bought it pretty much based on the prototype threads here. :P

Dr.Tongue on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm getting reproducible lockups at the end of certain mission cutscenes, before it switches control back to your character, on the PC version - anyone else with this issue? It really blows for some missions, because it means I have to repeat 20 minutes of
    shooting tentacles and ferrying marines around like an air bus driver
    , in this case. It lets me tab out or back in, it just refuses to end the scene.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »

he's a newly born virus avatar incarnate

all he knows is destruction, and he's still learning to be human

I thought it was pretty neat
    350,http:%2F%2Fus.ent4.yimg.com%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fimages%2Fhv%2Fphoto%2Fmovie_pix%2Ftouchstone_pictures%2Fbicentennial_man%2F_group_photos%2Frobin_williams5.jpg
    irobot1.jpg

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The ai is terrible because the ai is terrible as well.

Whut

Anyway, even looking at this game objectively, it's brilliant. It has a lot of frustrating difficulty spikes, and some of the enemies (e.g. supersoldiers and hunters) aren't as much fun to fight as they are frustrating (though the latter aren't so bad with armour). The sheer amount of powers and abilities are a little overwhelming, and there should have been a little more help for new players. There should be more cheats/unlockables for the benefit of those who want to screw around once they've finished the game, as most sandbox titles tend to include.

But this game hasn't pissed me off anywhere near as much any one of the GTA games has (I never even bothereed progressing past the first few missions of GTAIV, especially when SR2 was so temptingly close-by). It probably comes the closest to letting you feel like a genuine city-block smashing superhero of any game I've ever played. The progression of New York from military lock-down to bloody chaos and all-out total war is genuinely epic. It's fantastic, but reviewers are inexplicably punishing it for incredibly minor niggles that they happily overlook in other releases.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm bummed about super soldiers. I really thought you could grab them, but you can't. I remembered some random hint text saying you could grab them when they were stunned but I've never been able to. Even when dead they push me away. I think I must have misread it.

On the other hand, a successful counter with muscle mass fucks them right the hell up and it's always nice to knock a beefcake out with a fucking knee to the head.

BAM.

@Ed: Yeah I didn't explain that well. The Stealth Ai is terrible because the actual "not running under your tank treads" ai is terrible. Different processes in the ai. You can tell they didn't spend that much time on the ai so there's all these decisions to have to deal with it.

I hope nobody is going to get all raar defensive at me for these criticisms since for fucks sake I've previously been labelled obsessive about the game (this is true) and if someone goes on at me on a defensive trip that's gonna be really ironic.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Depending on the grading scale, a a 7 can be either average or above average. If they're using the entire 10 point scale, then a 7 is above average. If they're using the grading scale from your days in school and most games fall between a 6 and a 9, then a 7 is a C and strictly average.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm bummed about super soldiers. I really thought you could grab them, but you can't. I remembered some random hint text saying you could grab them when they were stunned but I've never been able to. Even when dead they push me away. I think I must have misread it.

On the other hand, a successful counter with muscle mass fucks them right the hell up and it's always nice to knock a beefcake out with a fucking knee to the head.

BAM.

It's when they're blocking, I think.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

BAM.

You probably confused 'grab' with the little quick-time wrestling bullshit you have to go through every time you press B/get grabbed by them.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Depending on the grading scale, a a 7 can be either average or above average. If they're using the entire 10 point scale, then a 7 is above average. If they're using the grading scale from your days in school and most games fall between a 6 and a 9, then a 7 is a C and strictly average.

They're using the 'most decent games fall between an 8 and a 10' scale.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yalborap wrote: »

They're using the 'most decent games fall between an 8 and a 10' scale.

Precisely.

Basically, if your game didn't get hyped enough to be "too big too fail" and you get anything below 85, you're probably fucked.

This seems to be a problem that applies mainly to console gaming, though it happens sometimes on PC as well.
    I hope nobody is going to get all raar defensive at me for these criticisms since for fucks sake I've previously been labelled obsessive about the game (this is true) and if someone goes on at me on a defensive trip that's gonna be really ironic.

I hope you die in a fire.
    Seriously
    Not really

Ed321 on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yalborap wrote: »

BAM.

It's when they're blocking, I think.

Yeah, you can throw them in order to break their block. My standard procedure for super soldiers is to sword drop them and then throw them if orbs didn't come out.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The quicktime events that are there are very forgiving. I have very bad reflexes (like, at my best I'm around .2 and my worst like .4)and I was getting it relatively quickly if I thought a bit before pressing. So it's not really a reacting qte as much as a think calmly for a second, qte. Gives you enough time for that.

The sensors do too.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When a super soldier grabs me I quickly pull the left trigger so that I have enough time to counter.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yea you can wrestle supersoldiers once they have their hands up infront of them and are blocking

not like supersoldiers are difficult to kill though..just blade drop or jump attack until they die.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yea you can wrestle supersoldiers once they have their hands up infront of them and are blocking

not like supersoldiers are difficult to kill though..just blade drop or jump attack until they die.

Yeah, but I'd like to be able to fight them one-on-one with fisticuffs without those goddamn qtes, especially since they're very damaging. I hate qtes. The main difficulty with fighting SS is when they're guarding stuff.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    it's not as bad as in hulk where a hulkbuster can grab you and take a third of your life off without you being able to do anything about it

of course you could impale them with spears as payback in that game as well <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    it's not as bad as in hulk where a hulkbuster can grab you and take a third of your life off without you being able to do anything about it

What is Hulk doing with spears?

Ed321 on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Another reason he's acting detached is that while the support characters are in one cutscene, espousing dialogue and plotpoints, Alex is in a separate one where he's just been handed a ten words or less outline of his next mission and given a cue when it's time to make with the oneliner.

"Do you really think you'll get your answers [AT LOCATION]?"

"I don't know. But I'll get my answers from [GUY AT LOCATION]!"

So... you do know, Alex.

Of course, it's tough to direct a guy who can turn his arm into a sword...

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    David_T wrote: »

Another reason he's acting detached is that while the support characters are in one cutscene, espousing dialogue and plotpoints, Alex is in a separate one where he's just been handed a ten words or less outline of his next mission and given a cue when it's time to make with the oneliner.

"Do you really think you'll get your answers [AT LOCATION]?"

"I don't know. But I'll get my answers from [GUY AT LOCATION]!"

So... you do know, Alex.

Of course, it's tough to direct a guy who can turn his arm into a sword...

I loved the scene where
    Greene tells him he's the Blacklight Virus
    I don't think his facial expression changed at all. :lol:

But like we were saying in the last thread, the VA does a great job with what he's got. Especially in the
    Taggart chase
    I never figured out why Alex got so much more emotional there than he did anywhere else in the game.

edit: Hmm, maybe all those grunts Alex devoured throughout the game left him with a sense of childish glee at the thought of playing with tanks.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

well more like lampposts and trees that he grabs from the environment and then impales his enemies with

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

well more like lampposts and trees that he grabs from the environment and then impales his enemies with

Sweet.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My biggest beef with this game is that the enemies are more annoying than challenging. I pretty much just end up throwing cars at everything due to all the stunlocks/knockbacks/invincibility. Of course I really enjoy throwing cars at things and spent my first 3 or so hours trying to stack cars up and playing bowling with them so that is kind of a moot point:P

Dr.Tongue on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My biggest beef with this game is that the enemies are more annoying than challenging. I pretty much just end up throwing cars at everything due to all the stunlocks/knockbacks/invincibility. Of course I really enjoy throwing cars at things and spent my first 3 or so hours trying to stack cars up and playing bowling with them so that is kind of a moot point:P

how far are you?

Shade on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Hunters are far less annoying when you have the armour and blade - on easy you can actually fight groups of them almost continuously due to the damage v health bonus ratio. Tanks aren't that hard to kill with the rockfists or attacks from air. Aircraft are really supposed to be taken out with thrown objects anyway, though whipfist is almost as good.

Supersoldiers can go eat their own cocks.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just a quest or two after killing
    greene

Do hydras every show up as non scripted enemies? Flying around in the chopper shooting them while trying to dodge cars was pretty cool.

Dr.Tongue on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just a quest or two after killing
    greene

Do hydras every show up as non scripted enemies? Flying around in the chopper shooting them while trying to dodge cars was pretty cool.

I don't think so.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the easiest way to take out an endless amount of helis is musclemass + cannonball

even an uncharged one will snuff a heli

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the easiest way to take out an endless amount of helis is musclemass + cannonball

even an uncharged one will snuff a heli

Lies. Whipfist-swinging from one whirly-bird to the next is the way to go, like some kind of monsterous spider-man. So, uh, Carnage then.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So immediately after posting about having so much trouble with beating that first hunter fight, I got past it.

Two things I didn't realize: 1., that I could activate my shield while still having the claws active, and 2. I don't know how to dodge roll. I always miss those kinds of things.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hate it when my game crashes after obnoxious boss fights. :P

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What kind of cheats would you want in this game? You're practically god like already.... which makes dying very frustrating :)

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dying only occurs for me when I get stun locked by a billion rockets (and I mean a billion). Otherwise this games difficulty is mostly "You are God" and the occasional "Oh shit that's a fucking annoying boss".

Beyond that in a new game + you're invulnerable anyway.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ZulkirZulkir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought this was sorta interesting: http://www.destructoid.com/how-prototype-is-blatantly-better-than-infamous-135979.phtml

Apologies if it's been posted earlier.

"Fuck this drowning shit" lmao.

Yes the controls are janky, or perhaps tweaked would be a better description, like a bit of meth and jolt cola got into the Blacklight mix, and it does make grabbing spire landmarks a royal PITA.

Hunters suck, Supersoldiers suck, Helicopters suck, Krypton sucks.

My solution: Helicopters. Hunters irking the shit out of you with that unbreakable claw combo? Helicopter. Supersoldier quicktimery, stronger than you in Musclemass formery bullshit? Helicopter. Chain missile strike team cheese? Helicopter.

They're also great for stockpiling massive amounts of eps, especially during the mission where you get one with infinite rockets.

Zulkir on