As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

• Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I bought this today since it was on sale at Gamestop and I had a used games coupon.

Holy shit, is this fun. I'm not even really doing many of the story missions, I'm just running around Manhattan killing people, jumping off buildings and blowing stuff up. It's so awesome.

Ramen Noodle on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah you have to hold E down to get out of vehicles.

Easy Platinum Armored Vehicle Missions:
    Collect a buncha tanks nearby with a military uniform and stick em near the start point. Blow em up at the start then just focus on staying alive. Even empty they're worth the full points. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    it feels like I'm having some sound problems with the PC version; people's voices seem to be a bit low, even with my volume turned up pretty high. Can anyone link me to a youtube video of a PC session recording with lots of civilian/military chatter?

Apart from that, this game is fantastic.

Rius on
  • Stevie2SxcStevie2Sxc __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    After the mission where you lose your powers to that syringe-wielding A-hole, is it every power gone? Or is it just the combat powers (whipfist, muscle mass, claws etc). Because I heard you keep ur speed and jump upgrades and can still glide. True? False?

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You know the upgrade menus?

The Power section is gone. Everything else under every other menu is untouched.

Rius your problem is solved but I don't remember the solution I am on ps3. It's related to 7.1 sound I would google for it you can fix it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited July 2009
    You know the upgrade menus?

The Power section is gone. Everything else under every other menu is untouched.
    So I have all my abilities except the powers. Fantastic. Now I'm less apprehensive about doing that mission knowing I won't be helpless after it's finished

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Remember that if you are in a military disguise you can steal a tank without an alert. it will make life easier.

Also guns. Remember guns.

This section is most likely designed to make you remember "Oh wait I can do all this tricky shit with disguise and stuff oh there's guns too hey they make life a bit easier."
    Which is important for the later missions in the game.

The only power that gets unlocked in this section that will make your life much easier is the uppercut. You can get it to come out of any of your punch moves in the hand to hand combos.

Morninglord on
    edited July 2009
    Remember that if you are in a military disguise you can steal a tank without an alert. it will make life easier.

Also guns. Remember guns.

This section is most likely designed to make you remember "Oh wait I can do all this tricky shit with disguise and stuff oh there's guns too hey they make life a bit easier."
    Which is important for the later missions in the game.
    As long as I keep the superjump, can run at Mach 3 and have the normal punch and kick attacks aswell as the flying kick nothing can bring me down

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    You'll be fine then, plow through it.

Morninglord on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    true. basic movement powers are kept.

edit: jeeeeeeez. beaten and abused badly.

Big Classy on
    edited July 2009
    Just another thing. How many 'powerless' missions are there before I'm turned back into a no-holds-barred murder machine?

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    I can't remember.
    There is a bunch of multi part missions separated by little cutscenes which then change the objectives so I get confused.
    About three "start to mission end screens", I think.

Oh there's something awesome about the last mission in that series I'll put in spoilers. Don't look stevie this is just so I don't double post. Just remember to kick the last objective you have to attack at least a couple of times so you get this line.
    If you boot the hunter you need to inject after you've injected it Alex says stuff about it. The best line is "Stay alive big guy. Then I'll kill ya."
    The line is really well delivered.

Morninglord on
  • CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just beat the last boss tonight.
    All I could think about during the fight was
    You're just too good to be true.
    Can't take my eyes off you.
    You'd be like Heaven to touch.
    I wanna hold you so much.
    At long last love has arrived
    And I thank God I'm alive.
    You're just too good to be true.
    Can't take my eyes off you.

Tell me I wasn't the only one who thought that.

Calaveron on
    edited July 2009

:lol:

I'm so playing that when I get up to him on hard now.

Morninglord on
  • YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Beat it earlier today, brought the last boss down with an adrenaline powered devastator with 2 seconds left on the countdown... :D
    Somehow Alex still had time to fiddle round with the bomb in the last cutscene, despite everything going kaboom if you let the timer run down.

YerMum on
    Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    YerMum wrote: »
    Beat it earlier today, brought the last boss down with an adrenaline powered devastator with 2 seconds left on the countdown... :D
    Somehow Alex still had time to fiddle round with the bomb in the last cutscene, despite everything going kaboom if you let the timer run down.

Yeah that's how I beat it too.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    OKay, I'm done with Red Faction.... Back to this. I'm not too far off completing it. Last thing I recall doing mission wise was fighting
    Greene as tentacle monster thing

Big Classy on
    edited July 2009
    last time i fought him using a combination of muscle mass and blade using aegeris strategy and beat him with over a minute left

i was amazed how easy these fights become when you work out what to do.

its not even a gradual thing. you do the right strategy, easy. you do the wrong one. hooooo boy. and there's usually a few right strategies of varying speeds and effectiveness.
    and even with the "wrong" ones, there's varying degrees of ouchies.

you can even kill green with claws. fully charged it does a shitload to all her bits. go eat a hunter, come back do it again.

Morninglord on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Stevie2Sxc wrote: »
    Just another thing. How many 'powerless' missions are there before I'm turned back into a no-holds-barred murder machine?

I can only really recall 3, but I have a distinct feeling there were 4 missions.

-Loki- on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really like the powerless missions actually, they make you think about things again and you get a chance to use the upgrades for weaponless mercer

also targeting in this game is easy

hold tab and move it over the thing you want if it doesn't autoselect it

there, no crying allowed

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the powerless missions were really fun. I think the only real reason I got through them so quickly though is I like being a dick randomly in the game. And being powerless really ruins the potential.

-Loki- on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    also targeting in this game is easy

hold tab and move it over the thing you want if it doesn't autoselect it

there, no crying allowed

Okay, wheres the tab button my xbox360 controller?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    hit down to go behind you or air to ground. up to go into the foreground and transition from ground to air.

So the hunter behind you that is hitting you. Press down.

Morninglord on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I finally just finished my hard run through.

Fuck hard mode on this game, just fuck it. It is not fun, it is annoying and petty and full of utter agrravating bullshit. It took me almost half an hour to down Elizabeth Greene (And I managed in on my first try) because of how much god damn health she had.

Everything had a ridiculous amount of health and it made killing everything so repetative and annoying I just wanted to stab the guy who programmed it.

Last Boss was surprisingly easy though. Downed him on my first try with a minute left of the clock.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Amazon delivered last night, so I popped this game into my 360 and gave it a spin. Wasn't terribly impressed. Specifically the controls bugged me and I was a little annoyed I trying to get combos to work. I figured "well, I'll run through the story on this one and trade in with GameStop or something."

Then five hours of my life promptly evaporated.

Sneaking into a base and absorbing all the people for their delicious upgrades is just too much fun. And of course as I started playing the game I became more comfortable with the controls. Still not my favorite, but they are serviceable. Certainly not enough of a problem to keep me from playing.

I've upgraded a few of my powers now. I've got everything except the blade arm. What I'm looking for now is the ability to fly through the air and smash tanks with my humongous hammerfists. Is this a specific sub-power of the hammerfist I have to purchase, or is it something else. Whenever I jump and attack something the only thing I seem to perform is a flying kick.

If I cannot cut helicopters in half with my sword arm or pound them to bits with my hammer fists I will be sad.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The upgrade you are looking for is Hammertoss and it's a somewhat late upgrade; I think it comes after you get the Blade. Also it is super fun.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited July 2009
    It is my favourite power. Who cares about efficiency.
    I can fly! Weeeeeee BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

Morninglord on
  • PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It is my favourite power. Who cares about efficiency.
    I can fly! Weeeeeee BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

If only you span around on the spot like an Olympic hammer thrower before taking off.

In fact, that would make a sweet event for Prototype 2. See how many city blocks you can fly down, landing in the target zone with a THOOOM!

vVv I did not know that. Welp, time to try it out!

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
    edited July 2009
    You do a mini one if you run away from what you want to target then start it while facing away.
    He spins on the spot and throws it out soon as he faces them.

Morninglord on
    edited July 2009
    So after getting platinum in all events I'm down to 6 WOI targets. After tooling about in the city for like 20 minutes I didn't see one. Is there a faster way to get the rest?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    So after getting platinum in all events I'm down to 6 WOI targets. After tooling about in the city for like 20 minutes I didn't see one. Is there a faster way to get the rest?

There's a map in the OP.

I finally got my Platinum Trophy for this today. The kill 52,000+ infected achievement didn't take as long as I thought it might, but I killed like 15,000 on my first playthrough and was probably up to 20,000 by the time I'd gotten the hard and no deaths achievements.

Now to tool around seeing how far I can hammertoss if I'm targeting a chopper.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
    edited July 2009
    There's a weird condition with hammertoss where sometimes if they are flying away from you, Alex becomes a homing missile and will travel any distance to hit them with a completely flat trajectory.

I don't know hot to recreate it perfectly, but everytime it happened I was at full charge and the helicopter was flying away from Alex.

It's much easier though, to just wait until they turn around to shoot then start charging the hammertoss. You'll pass over their missile and smack em.

Morninglord on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    After Infamous I was well up for another game in that vein, sadly Prototype isn't doing it for me. I find the gore and the way civilians are really just disposable insects a bit disconcerting. I find it hard to care about the (barely coherent) story because the protagonist is so dislikable and barely credible; Mercer is a ridiculous hypocrite of a character going on about his revenge then smirking and killing everything in sight and he dresses like a prick. Kinda bored too of the rigmarole of taking over tanks having to sit through that same animation every time and lining up flying kicks on helicopters, taking out waves and waves of military too. Can't say I found the lock-on system very intuitive either with it often targeting something well off in the distance instead of what's near me. The less said about the music and the city the better too.

I think I've given it a fair shake, playing about a third of it but I think I will finish here what with the frustrating 'power-less' mission. I did like consuming military folks and the stealth consume mechanic is a good idea but all suspension of disbelief goes tits up when you see hundred odd identical military men on seemingly random walk paths milling about like ants and when running up walls and gliding around doesn't blow your disguise.

Moioink on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    There's a very very very good reason Mercer's a dick, though.

Also, if being stealthy meant you couldn't run up walls and shit, people would complain that being stealthy was no fun. They're just giving you the option. If you think it's gamebreaking to run around on walls, then don't run around on walls.

l337CrappyJack on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5316490/prototype-ufc-beat-up-the-competition-in-june

NPD numbers for Prototype put it at 419,900 copies sold for its first month. Not bad for an original IP. If it keeps this up hopefully we'll be seeing a sequel.

Dragkonias on
    edited July 2009
    Italax wrote: »
    There's a map in the OP.

Oh sweet I didn't even see it. Web of Intrigue complete! Though they didn't say I was awesome.

RandomEngy on
    edited July 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    After Infamous I was well up for another game in that vein, sadly Prototype isn't doing it for me. I find the gore and the way civilians are really just disposable insects a bit disconcerting. I find it hard to care about the (barely coherent) story because the protagonist is so dislikable and barely credible; Mercer is a ridiculous hypocrite of a character going on about his revenge then smirking and killing everything in sight and he dresses like a prick. Kinda bored too of the rigmarole of taking over tanks having to sit through that same animation every time and lining up flying kicks on helicopters, taking out waves and waves of military too. Can't say I found the lock-on system very intuitive either with it often targeting something well off in the distance instead of what's near me. The less said about the music and the city the better too.

I think I've given it a fair shake, playing about a third of it but I think I will finish here what with the frustrating 'power-less' mission. I did like consuming military folks and the stealth consume mechanic is a good idea but all suspension of disbelief goes tits up when you see hundred odd identical military men on seemingly random walk paths milling about like ants and when running up walls and gliding around doesn't blow your disguise.

To be honest, you were wise to stop. You wont like the rest of it either. It's the same amplified.
    Trade it in if you can is my advice.

Morninglord on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I got this game for my birthday

I only played for like an hour and I still felt superpowerful

Did not enjoy getting raped by about ten goddamn hunter mutants, though. Why is such an early mission so hard? It took me like three tries, jeez

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well this game's flaws certainly are bothersome, but they didn't stop me from beating it. Jumping it my second playthrough on hard it becomes incredibly clear that for whatever reason they used the worst god damn voice acting for the first few bits of the game.

Alex is monotone grumbly jerkface for a little while, his sister is the most soulless character I've ever heard speak in my life, then we actually get some decent people and you forget all about it. Odd that the beginning of the game is the poorest part vocally.

JAEF on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Alex's voice actually isn't bothering me so far

It's grumbly monotone, but it's one of the more interesting grumbly monotones I've heard in video games in some time

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET