As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join a living world, even though you cease to be. [V:TM Bloodlines]

• Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nevermind I see what you're getting at finally.

Usually when people do *cough company name cough* they mean that suchandsuch company was the one doing the bad thing. Not the one that stepped in and said stop wasting money.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seeing as the topic before hand was game companies releasing buggy shit because they dick around and or get rushed out the door by producers, yes, just throwing a company's name out there doesn't let anyone know you're talking about one title they farmed out to a separate company.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I should probably stop sharing these random thoughts with the forum so much.

They tend to make people mad at me.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just stop assuming people are reading your mind.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wouldn't say mad.

Bewildered? Confused?

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    BYToady wrote: »
    Just stop assuming people are reading your mind.

Sometimes I really can't tell what will or won't make immediate sense to most people.

I get confused by things people say sometimes, and then othertimes I make apparently-complex connections instantaneously and don't realize it requires explaining.

And since I don't have any talents at segwaying, the Hotel was the scariest thing I've ever played. I thought the Shalebridge Cradle (Thief 3) was pretty fucked up, but that stupid hotel almost made me fall out of my chair.

Goatmon on

• Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BYToady wrote: »
    Cause when people go "God damn it SE++" they really mean God damn it Goatmon.

goatmon, the face of SE? why i never

all my work, for naught

i hereby name myself Führer of the Nationalsozial Entropiepartei

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think Teefs would garner more support.

something something weed joke.

Goatmon on

• Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TFS's soft, liberal regime would falter quickly under the pressures of modern day forum politics

Only my iron hand can lead us through the future's pressing trials

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    More like iron bars.
    fallout is jailed, na na nana na :whistle:

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    all sitting in jail, writing Mein Kampf 2: Electric Hulaghuaghgauhgugh

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    all sitting in jail, writing Mein Kampfy Chair

Mein_Kampfy_Chair.jpg

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    :D

anyways i'm going to switch to windows and play some of my gangrel chick now

you can be a total bitch with low humanity, it's hilarious

(that or play TF2)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish I had brought a mouse on my trip

I'm just sitting in the hotel room wishing I could play this

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Playing the hotel level in a hotel seems like a bad idea.

Assuming you had plans that involved sleep.

Goatmon on

• Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, I noticed this awhile ago, and I'm pretty sure it's in the original game too, the locked door in the Venture tower. Behind the elevators on the right, but you can't ever open it. I can't seem to get the console to work, so if anyone wants to noclip through it, is there any purpose to it?

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    it's the sewer entrance

Tube on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trying to play this again, but I doubt I will ever finish it. It seems that sadly I don't really like the story, the combat or the characters. Getting killed ten times in a row by the celerity and shotgun using plague lord did not help matters. There is nothing bad about this game, but it just feels... mediocre.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You're awesome for not liking what everyone else likes.

Tube on
  • Options
    EnnsEnns Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love the colt. Tab into fanning mode is so rad.

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I might buy this game today. My paycheck went through so I finally have some extra cash to spend on things like games. I was thinking this, and maybe The Witcher?

I was a huge Fallout 1/2 fan, and subsequently a huge Arcanum fan...even if I hit a game-ending bug 40 hours into my first playthrough. (The patch erased your saves, and I was a good dozen hours or so in when the patch hit)

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Does Arcanum still stand up? I might pick it up if it's available for download somewhere.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Did you play RPG's similar to it back in the day? Fallout, Baldur's Gate and so on?

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I played Fallout but I've never played Baldur's Gate. I figure by this point it'll just be annoying.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I ask, because for someone who didn't play those RPG's, they'd probably sit down and run Arcanum for the first time and think, "Holy shit, what is this ugly thing?"

But if you can get past that, or are a fan of the other games I mentioned, you'll love Arcanum. It's an epic game, western RPG style to the core.

Also, awesome loot/skill/tech tree system
    arcanum_5.jpg

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That was certainly my implication, yes. Does the game pick up during the second half?

Vic on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I found BG2 less annoying than NWN2 to play. Not that I finished either of them.
    I think I got pissy with BG2 and never finished it because I was playing through it with my brother each controlling 3 characters and then we sort of stopped playing and I didn't want to bother getting back to where I was.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Vic wrote: »

That was certainly my implication, yes. Does the game pick up during the second half?

Nope. It's a shame you don't like it, it's one of the best RPGs ever made.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And the graphics aren't pretty, but they're perfectly adequate. Besides, the game's conventions are rock solid...similar to how I can still load up X-com and have a blast to this day.
    arca-041.gif

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Weird, I always thought Arcanum was first person.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't know why I stopped playing Arcanum. It was around the same time I was playing Fallout 1/2 but I just couldn't get into it. I look back and think that I probably should. I'll see if my brother's friend still has his copy.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nope, but that would be a good deal of fun if updated for modern technology.

So what do you think? Going to give it a go?

You can't argue with loot as fun as this
    38499_full.jpg

Or, if you choose technology...
    arcanum_flamer.jpg

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Humph, it isn't on steam. I'll try and pick it up at some point.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Vic wrote: »

Nope. It's a shame you don't like it, it's one of the best RPGs ever made.

Well, I haven't quite given up on it yet. I guess I will just have to keep at it.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That looks incredible. I have been wanting to check out Arcanum for ages, maybe it is time to give it a shot.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If I still had my copy, I'd sent it to you. Unfortunately, most of my PC games got shuffled around and lost throughout college.

It's hard to say though...I wonder if I could sit down with a game like Fallout or Arcanum today and play/enjoy it if I didn't already have years of nostalgia packed into them. It'd be hard after playing through Fallout 3.

Anyway, what can I expect from V:TM exactly? I don't need a huge synopsis...just...you know...anything worth mentioning? Awesome combat? Good writing? etc.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The writing is really good and the combat gets pretty good later on. There's a big quality dip about two thirds of the way in that you'll need to struggle through. It's difficult to really break a character but having more than one speech skill is redundant and not being able to fight is going to hurt you. That's about it really.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone here remember Arx Fatalis?
    I remember I liked the magic system but beyond that can't remember much about the quality of the game.
    I'm considering ferreting around to find it and play through it.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Most of the game as far as I have gone is spent doing basic "quest"-like missions, say, go through this garage full of mobsters to get a suitcase of money. The gameplay varies a lot depending on how you built your character and your clan. Many quests can be solved by brute force, by sneaking or by talking.

Combat also varies a lot between characters. One character may be a super fast swordsman, cutting apart anything that gets in his way. Another might play more like a first player shooter, while a third might play as if he were in a splinter cell game, stealthing around and breaking peoples necks.

People generally seem to like the writing.

Vic on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Playing through arcanum for the first time now is challenging, to put it lightly. It doesn't help that I get destroyed by almost everything harder than a sewer rat at the moment. There was a bit where I saw the appeal and enjoyed it a lot for about 10 minutes, but it's getting to be a chore again (went south to dernholm or whatever before heading to tarant to try and level a bit to make stuff easier). Having to do absolutely everything with the mouse is annoying here, yet I don't have a problem with it in NWN2 or the witcher.

L|ama on