As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are we making a viable decision?

TobagganTobaggan Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Long time listener, first time etc etc

The situation is that myself and two friends are planning on moving into an apartment in the general vicinity of UW-Milwaukee. We've been doing research and seeing places, following much of the advice that I've found on this here forum.

The place we have in mind for the moment is pretty nice. The rent is $825/month with heat and water included. The estimate for gas and such was in the $40-50 range. On top of that, of course, is electricity, cable and internet. Two of us including myself plan on taking our cars.

As for our individual situations, I work at a bookstore and do reasonably well, making $400-500 a month, and I'm fairly confident I can increase that. Once in the area, I'd probably look into a second job - I have an "in" of sorts at the school library. In addition, I have about $5500 saved between checking and savings.

Friend #1 currently works at a summer job alongside his father doing the ol' 9 to 5, five days a week.

Friend #2 is between jobs, but is confident in acquiring a new one in the area. His sister has many contacts in the area. He also has saved up a considerable amount from his previous jobs, somewhere in the $5-6000 range.

I am entering my third year at UWM, Friend #1 is entering his third year at MIAD, and Friend #2 is transferring to UWM for his third year. We are 21, 20, and 20 respectively.

So H/A, I ask you if this is something that we can make work, or are we setting ourselves up for massive failure. We have no illusions that things will be comfortable and easy. From this cursory info, is moving into this apartment viable?

Tobaggan on

• LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It sounds ok, but on your current income you'll be stretched pretty thin. I'd budget at least $400 or so for monthly costs, which may be on the high side, but it's better to be conservative.

Thinking about that, do you think that you could live on no more than $100 extra a month, based on your current job's pay?

With three people it doesn't sound like it would be too hard, but you always have to plan for the worst.

LavaKnight on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you can def make it work but i will be honest, unless you get a better or second job it may suck for you for a while, as well as friend 2. keep in mind 825 a month is before cable, internet and food. i lived with 2 friends at 19 and the average upkeep per month was around 450 (food and all) per person.

it was hard for me at $600 a month but $800 a month was like a cakewalk.

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    if all of you are committed it sounds feasible....it needs to be made clear though that the 5k+ you each have in the bank is not for spending...it is for rent/foot/etc.

Dman on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dman wrote: »
    if all of you are committed it sounds feasible....it needs to be made clear though that the 5k+ you each have in the bank is not for spending...it is for rent/foot/etc.

This. There's nothing worse then having three PS3's and an eviction notice.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Couldn't you just live in the PS3's instead? (lol hi-5 m i rite?)

It seems viable, but the book market is volatile right now so I don't know if your store might be closed down later (if it's a B&N or Borders).

If you were able to make an extra $4-500 a month (any part time job would get you that, really) that would really make your part of the living arrangements secure.

You are all going to be on the lease, correct? Does either friend seem susceptible to being an ass and screwing up the arrangement by missing payments on anything or having a girlfriend who he would spend all his money on (I'm not trying to rain on the parade, these are things that come to mind with an apartment)?

TexiKen on
  • TobagganTobaggan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Honesty is absolutely what I'm looking for. I want the cold hard truth. I, at least, am willing to trade some convenience for living on my own in a city that I want desperately to be in.

Absolutely, regarding what is and is not for idle spending. Both friends are the last to leave the nest, so they will be bringing plenty of stuff along as far as furnishings and entertainment (TV, xbox 360, etc.) I'm on the opposite side of things as the first of my parents' children to move out. Likewise, I can probably get away with bringing stuff with me.

I ask this because while the three of us are fairly confident we can work together and withstand inconveniences, my father is opposed to me leaving. He sees all of the many things that could go wrong and sees it as reason enough to not even try.
    TexiKen wrote:
    Couldn't you just live in the PS3's instead? (lol hi-5 m i rite?)

It seems viable, but the book market is volatile right now so I don't know if your store might be closed down later (if it's a B&N or Borders).

If you were able to make an extra $4-500 a month (any part time job would get you that, really) that would really make your part of the living arrangements secure.

You are all going to be on the lease, correct? Does either friend seem susceptible to being an ass and screwing up the arrangement by missing payments on anything or having a girlfriend who he would spend all his money on (I'm not trying to rain on the parade, these are things that come to mind with an apartment)?

I've been friends with them since small times and they all have my trust in this area. I have some other friends that I wouldn't be quite so sure of, so I'm not terribly worried.

As for the book market, I am perfectly aware of the troubles we face. I'm optimistic that things will work out well in matters of the economy, but obviously optimism doesn't put food on the table. Fortunately, a library isn't as susceptible to collapse, and I can't imagine jobs are terribly difficult to find in a college-serving area.

Tobaggan on
    edited June 2009
    Bah, moving out is one of the best things you can do for yourself, even if it is a little difficult at first. It sounds like you have enough of a safety net in your current finances, so I wouldn't be too worried about the things that could go wrong, other than looking at what you can comfortably live on a month.

Like we've said, $100 max is pretty low, but if you're confident you can find another (or better) job, go for it.

LavaKnight on
    edited June 2009
    your dad is doing what all dads do. when i moved out fora year (moved back in for college) my dad said I would fail miserably at it and would end up in debt with no way to pay it off... in truth i had more money than i felt like spending and was having a blast the whole time

• sligmastasligmasta Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the only thing i would worry about is the friend without a job, there is nothing worse than living with someone who doesnt know if they're going to be able to pay rent.

it gets really bad when you loan them a months rent, because then everytime you see them around the house you start thinking "why is he home? why isnt he out getting a job to pay me back? if he starts drinking before noon again im gonna kill him"

but if you think he'll have no trouble getting work it should be fine

sligmasta on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're so ok it's not worth discussing. Seriously, if you get basic cable and internet and don't demand caviar and steak daily you'll be fine. Since heat and hot water are included your utilities are nothing to worry about as long as you keep to economic cable packages and don't have a terrible habit of leaving every light on in the house all the time. Something my roomie and I used to do among a plethora of other electronics and never saw a bill over $40.

VisionOfClarity on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You might want to clarify what is "included" in that rent. You said heat and water are included, but gas and electricity are extra?

Basic utilities are:

Electricity
    Gas
    Water

"Heat" is not a utility, and it depends on the house whether it falls into your gas or electric bill.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited June 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    You might want to clarify what is "included" in that rent. You said heat and water are included, but gas and electricity are extra?

Basic utilities are:

Electricity
    Gas
    Water

"Heat" is not a utility, and it depends on the house whether it falls into your gas or electric bill.

Actually this is incredibly common in areas with old buildings where it's steam heat not gas or electric. Also in many places you don't pay for water. Such as Boston, where I pay neither heat or hot water and my utilities are gas, electric and cable/internet. Also don't pay for trash.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for weighing in, everybody. I'd like to throw out a few more points regarding the situation and see if it changes anyone's thoughts.

- I'd be bringing my car, which my parents will still make the payments on. Insurance will apparently go up if I move away. Parking is not supplied by the complex, but it's on a one-way street with slant parking. I'd be getting the permit from the city.

- Tuition is still something the parents would pay for, but the past few semesters, I've had to contribute, paying 1K from my savings. I would bet that this would continue.

- The parents are worried that the small things, i.e. toiletries, cleaning equipment, minor furnishings and such would run us too much and compromise funds.

- They also tossed out the figure of ~$200 a month a person on food. Is this reasonably accurate or is it rather overblown? I don't see myself or any of my accomplices spending quite that much.

- We've scoured Craigslist and walked about the area, but we've only actually been shown three different places and we're currently acting with the one described in the OP in mind.

And would it be prying to ask if any of you who are also in college and living on their own could outline their situation and costs? I imagine I would synch up fairly well with a lot of the users here. The parents (mostly dad) are rather obsessive planners and their main thought is that, while they're not against me moving, is that I haven't thought it out and that I can't afford it.

Tobaggan on
    edited June 2009
    toiletries won't hurt too much. it's about $30 a month probably. foor is only 200 if you are incredibly stupid with money or like eating out every day like i do. 200 a month is what i spend eating at restaurants every day at work. when i eat at taco bell or mcdonalds it halfs (and 5$ a day isn't that bad but make sure most of your food is coming from the grocery store or walmart as it will save you a lot of money.

while i didn't go to college when i lived on my own my friend did. 6-800 dollars a paycheck is about the range you want to look for though obviously more is better.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The best advice I can give is to travel light. Remember that no matter how awesomely this might work out, its still a temporary living arrangement. If you don't need something, don't bring it - all those beloved childhood mementos will just collect dust and be more stuff to carry when you move in/out. As little furniture as possible. Folding tables and chairs rule for your purposes. If you don't have one, get a big cd binder thing for dvds and video games - again, the cases are just more stuff to carry and take up space. If I was doing it again, anything besides a bed that doesn't fit in my car wouldn't be coming with.

MushroomStick on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Basic utilities are:

Electricity
    Gas
    Water

Actually this is incredibly common in areas with old buildings where it's steam heat not gas or electric. Also in many places you don't pay for water. Such as Boston, where I pay neither heat or hot water and my utilities are gas, electric and cable/internet. Also don't pay for trash.

Where does the steam come from? Does that not factor into either the gas or electric bill? I mean, you don't get a bill for "steam."

Also, your hot water is paid for in your gas bill, is it not? Your hot water heater runs on gas, no?

And trash.. never heard of paying that.

Figgy on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Basic utilities are:

Electricity
    Gas
    Water

The other option if it is a large building is that each unit has a thermostat but the heating is done by a central mechanism and the cost to run it is already included in the rent.

Personally during college I made $730 a month and rented places costing 200-365 a month (my share). I ate out 2-3 times a week, bought plenty of cleaning supplies and toiletries and was able to put about $150 a month into savings. I had a car that I had paid off at that point and paid my own insurance.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Basic utilities are:

Electricity
    Gas
    Water

Where does the steam come from? Does that not factor into either the gas or electric bill? I mean, you don't get a bill for "steam."

Also, your hot water is paid for in your gas bill, is it not? Your hot water heater runs on gas, no?

Steam heat is typically gas, as is the hot water. In Boston I've found you're generally going to get either gas, electric, or oil heating.

Even if the OP's heat is gas-based and included, he may also have a gas stove, which will require payment.

The OP should be fine fiscally, especially with the savings, just note you will be the stereotypical college kid who says "I'm broke" all the time. Pretty much all college kids go through this, so don't sweat it. I assume that's $825 between the 3 of you and not per person?

I ask because Boston is fucking EXPENSIVE, so here $825 per person isn't unheard of.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Basic utilities are:

Electricity
    Gas
    Water

Some apartment buildings have a heating system where something (frequently just hot air) is heated from a central location and then sent to the apartments. In cases like that it's very typical to have heat included in the rent. However, if the apartment uses gas for other things (stove, dryer) there may still be a gas bill. The same is true for hot water in many buildings, they have a central hot water heater that supplies all the apartments, so the individual tenant may not be responsible for the costs of heating the water (aside from it being already factored into the rent in any case).

I've never had to pay for trash when I was in an apartment building, but trash pickup isn't free, so in some places the tenant may be responsible for that fee (especially if they're renting a house rather than an apartment).

Daenris on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    They also tossed out the figure of ~$200 a month a person on food. Is this reasonably accurate or is it rather overblown? I don't see myself or any of my accomplices spending quite that much.

That's pretty accurate.

Unless you plan on living off of nothing but hot pockets and ramen. You'll want to go out from time to time. Take dates. Etc. Of course, I lump all of my eating habits into my eating bill, where as some might consider a night on the town to fall into their "entertainment" budget.

My only overall concern is whether or not you and your friends can find enough work with enough pay. Looks like you guys could be spending upward to 1500$ a month, around 500$ each, which is your full paycheck. You also have to consider gas, entertainment, and emergency spending.

Before making the big move I'd really focus on you and your friends getting stable jobs.

Sheep on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So including extra utilities, you're looking at around $350 a month each. And that's just for rent. $200 a month for food is not an unreasonable estimate. Can you put together enough to feed yourself for $7 a day?

Is friend #1 going to have a job/parental support, or is he blowing through savings to live there?

I'm not really sure it's feasible unless you get another job - especially since your parents want you to contribute $2k to tuition over that time.

You probably CAN do it in your current situation, I bet your bank account would be close to empty at the end of the year.

Consider housing+food+car costs+fun every month, you are blowing past your $500 right there.

If you get cable internet, they probably won't block the basic cable channels and you can just watch for free. That's what everybody I knew in college did.

Moving out is great, but I never think planning on going into your savings for a year for living expenses is a good idea.

EDIT: My general rule is to make AT MINIMUM double whatever your rent and utilities cost is every month.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »

Basic utilities are:

Electricity
    Gas
    Water

Steam heat is typically gas, as is the hot water. In Boston I've found you're generally going to get either gas, electric, or oil heating.

Even if the OP's heat is gas-based and included, he may also have a gas stove, which will require payment.

The OP should be fine fiscally, especially with the savings, just note you will be the stereotypical college kid who says "I'm broke" all the time. Pretty much all college kids go through this, so don't sweat it. I assume that's $825 between the 3 of you and not per person?

I ask because Boston is fucking EXPENSIVE, so here $825 per person isn't unheard of.

If you're an idiot or live somewhere really new you pay for heat. I've been here 4 years and have never paid for heat and know only a handful of people silly enough to shell out for it (mostly in the North End lofts) when so many places have it included. It's like paying a fee in Boston, that's just dumb considering how many places are no fee. Also, if you live somewhere in Boston where heat isn't included your rent should be significantly less or you're being screwed.

Depending on the cost of cooking gas as someone who cooks daily with her gas stove the total is about $18 a month max for gas.

I spend about about $150 on food. I buy in bulk, cook a lot of meals that stretch and learned to love store brand products.

OP this is my monthly breakdown throughout the college years in one of the most expensive city's in the country.
    Rent: 650
    Food:150
    Gas: 9
    Electric: 16
    Cable/Internet: 40
    T-Pass (subway): 60
    Total: 925

Income: 400 work study
    650 part-time work

Was it hard and did I have to pass up on some fun times? Sure. Was it completely worth it? Yes. My only concern is your car costs. I sold mine when I moved for school because the cost of keeping it was nowhere near worth it. Car insurance isn't cheap and that could be what kills your plan.

VisionOfClarity on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How many hours are you currently working a week? 400-500 net a month is pretty weak. I'd want a better job or a second job to be secure. there are hidden costs with living on your own that you just don't forsee. Toiletries/cleaning supplies is NOT one of them. Cleaning Supply cost split between three people is next to nothing. Plus you're three college guys, I don't see you cleaning the house spotless once a week.

You'll make it except for the unforeseen car costs, like oil change, tire rotation, NEW tires, hike in gas prices. Also, video game purchases, clothing, shoes. Granted you don't buy some of those very often but when your budget is TIGHT then having to spend $100 on some new clothes and $70 on new shoes once or twice a year, on top of car maintenance, and b-day gifts, and x-mas gifts and the myriad of little things chipping away at your pocketbook.
    Also don't get a pet, encourage your roommates not to get a pet, that just creates a whole new list of extra costs.

Basically what I'm saying is, the little shit that's not even a recurring cost, adds up. Especially when trying to live so close to your income. So get a better/2nd job. Work more hours or something.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The best advice I can give is to travel light. Remember that no matter how awesomely this might work out, its still a temporary living arrangement. If you don't need something, don't bring it - all those beloved childhood mementos will just collect dust and be more stuff to carry when you move in/out. As little furniture as possible. Folding tables and chairs rule for your purposes. If you don't have one, get a big cd binder thing for dvds and video games - again, the cases are just more stuff to carry and take up space. If I was doing it again, anything besides a bed that doesn't fit in my car wouldn't be coming with.

This is the best advice i have ever read on this forum ever. Seriously.

Also... this no paying for heat thing, that must be very specific to your region. I have never heard of "heat" as a thing. Everywhere I have lived we paid electricity that powered a furnace or shudder heat pump

useless4 on
    edited June 2009
    useless4 wrote: »

This is the best advice i have ever read on this forum ever. Seriously.

Also... this no paying for heat thing, that must be very specific to your region. I have never heard of "heat" as a thing. Everywhere I have lived we paid electricity that powered a furnace or shudder heat pump

It's true pretty much anywhere in the northeast or midwest where I've lived and is most likely because of the potentially very large winter heating bills.

Daenris on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heat as separate from gas or electricity generally only comes from the fact that it is most likely a very old building and has a common boiler for steam/radiator heat throughout a large multi-unit building.

If this is the case, it will be the only way you will be able to afford this. If you do have to pay electric or gas for heat you will run into trouble come December. I live in a gut/rehab of an old building with a high efficiency gas furnace for just my unit and I still pay about $120/month from Dec-Feb.

Simpsonia on
  • Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The one piece of advice that I give everyone who is moving in with friends is to have an exit strategy. All three of your names are going on that lease which means any of you is liable for the entirety of the rent or whatever penalties the landlord gives for breaking the lease.

So for the sake of being prepared, go through the following hypothetical scenario: If one (or both) of your friends falls behind on rent, borrows a bunch of money from you, and then mysteriously skips town in the middle of the night, where does that leave you? Will you be able to cover rent? Will you break the lease? Will you find a new roommate to live with (IE a stranger)?

I know they're your friends and you want to trust them, but a lot of shit can happen in a year. You need to have a plan.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Heat as separate from gas or electricity generally only comes from the fact that it is most likely a very old building and has a common boiler for steam/radiator heat throughout a large multi-unit building.

If this is the case, it will be the only way you will be able to afford this. If you do have to pay electric or gas for heat you will run into trouble come December. I live in a gut/rehab of an old building with a high efficiency gas furnace for just my unit and I still pay about $120/month from Dec-Feb.

Equal billing can help with this.

Figgy on
    edited July 2009
    Since I'm sure you've all been dreadfully interested...

Ended up with a different place. 780/month with water, heat and cooking gas all included. A/C already installed, we pay to power it. The place itself is pretty nice with underground parking available. Followed all of the advice found in various apartment threads around H/A and the three of us signed the lease today. Managed to convince the parents as well.

Meanwhile, I asked for an increase in hours at work and it turned out to be perfectly doable, raising my monthly income to somewhere in the $550 - 700 range. Jobless friend has an opportunity for a good one through his brother-in-law.

Things are looking a little better than they did when I started this thread. Thanks for all of your thoughts, guys. :D

Tobaggan on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    550-700 a month is still going to be stretching thin. How many hours is that like 20/week? You'll be surprised at how much money you will spend on little crap that you need. I mean, it's too late now since the lease is signed, but you really don't want to be dipping into savings for bills. it's good to have that if you're a bit short on a given month, but dont count that in as part of your cash for living expenses. I did that and my savings was gone pretty damn fast, and then i was SOL. I'd look at picking up a second/better job or something.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you don't spend needlessly, you should be fine.
    The first month will be a little more than normal, just from having to get all the essentials. Soap, detergent and all that crap, plus what ever activation fees you may have for utilities, deposits, etc...

A big money saver is going to the grocery store. Buy food for YOU, label it or what ever you need to do. Eating out all the time is expensive, and adds up very quickly even though you think "oh this is just 3 bucks thats cheap!", you could get a loaf of bread and some deli meat for 6 bucks and it will last you all week.

Another good idea is splitting a CostCo. or SAMS membership between the three of you. Go there once a month and stock up on the bulk things that last a while (cereal, canned goods, condiments)

rfalias on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tobaggan wrote: »

- They also tossed out the figure of ~$200 a month a person on food. Is this reasonably accurate or is it rather overblown? I don't see myself or any of my accomplices spending quite that much.

That's a very conservative estimate. It's $6.67 a day.

If you want to check the math, estimate the cost of breakfast + lunch + dinner if you made every single meal at home. Food adds up super quick before you even start to think about treats.

Deebaser on
    edited July 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »

If you want to check the math, estimate the cost of breakfast + lunch + dinner if you made every single meal at home. Food adds up super quick before you even start to think about treats.

200 a month for a single person is perfectly reasonable if you're shopping smart. My wife and I spend around $250 a month for the two of us and make most of our meals at home. We spend another $40-50/month at restaurants.

Daenris on
    edited July 2009
    Daenris wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

200 a month for a single person is perfectly reasonable if you're shopping smart. My wife and I spend around $250 a month for the two of us and make most of our meals at home. We spend another $40-50/month at restaurants.

Agreed, that's what my food allowances look like every month. I'd go $250 to account for eating out, but yeah, it should be a good bet, and yeah, I think $500 a month is doable.

LavaKnight on
    edited July 2009
    rfalias wrote: »
    Another good idea is splitting a CostCo. or SAMS membership between the three of you. Go there once a month and stock up on the bulk things that last a while (cereal, canned goods, condiments)

You'd be surprised how easy it is not to save money at these places.

Be careful what you buy. Just because it's sold in a 10 gallon drum, doesn't mean it's cheaper that way. Bring a calculator and a flyer from the cheapest local grocery store if you need to, but often times I find that Costco's prices aren't really cheaper at all, especially when you factor in the membership dues.

The $2 hotdog/pop meal at the cafeteria though? Sweet.

Figgy on
    edited July 2009
    My monthly income estimates are always a bit conservative. For example, this month will be $800+ but I don't know if I can expect that amount regularly.

Tobaggan on