As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions Online - Has a better name than CoX.

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    As a Canadian, I quite like that there's a Canadian zone.

Even though it's a frigid wilderness full of stereotypes.

So, just like the real Canada, then.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »

Frowning at you.

Pony on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »

Frowning at you.

what's this all aboot eh

freakish light on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The mobs in the Canada zone drop milk in bags for loot.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony, any word in the beta forum on whether or not they're planning a Steam release? I tried poking them on the regular forums, and all I got out of them was there will be a digital release somewhere.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    wolfgangpgwolfgangpg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In the beta - @Wolfgang.

I really like champions so far. I like it so much, I cancelled my WoW account which was a level 80 paladin half tier 8, almost full clear of Uldar.

Another unique aspect of Champions:
    1 Server

- If you do a Server first you did it for the whole community
    - You play with your friends no matter what. No meeting someone and saying "oh what server are you on?"
    - 1 Community. No dealing with downtime on your server (certain hours when no one is on)
    - I am sure there are other things people can add to the list

No Unique Usernames
    - Every player can be Wolverine
    - It takes your username and appends it to your account or global name -- so wolverine@wolfgangpg would be an example
    - Good because you can be your character.
    - When Hulk quits the game and you want to be Hulk, you can still do it, no one squatting on your name.
    - When you do /who it searches the username and account name so /who hulk would bring up hulk@joe or spider-man@hulkster

wolfgangpg on
  • Options
    HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One server is definitely a pretty sexy thing for me. No more trading off peak activity matching your local zone for the occasional good raid on an American server.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So if I get this for PC, would it be worth buying a 360 game pad to use for this game?

Or would a ps3 controller work alright?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So if I get this for PC, would it be worth buying a 360 game pad to use for this game?

Because the game is coming out for the Xbox 360, the PC version of the game already supports using a 360 controller.

PS3 controller? I have no idea.

Pony on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Because the game is coming out for the Xbox 360, the PC version of the game already supports using a 360 controller.

PS3 controller? I have no idea.

I don't play the beta much, I don't want to ruin the finished experience, but I find the keyboard and mouse to work just fine. I use the "shooter" mode, slightly modified, and find it controls much like Tabula Rasa. They also have "MMO" and "action" settings. These are just presets for the targeting options which can be customized. Action works better for melee I find.

I also like to use the power armor framework because it has a lot more visual effects going at once. It works differently than the other powers in that it's offensive abilities can be toggled. So I can be firing wrist bolters, while shooting lasers from my eyes, and also firing rockets from my chest all at once. The rockets are AOE, so they take out minions while I fire my bolters and laser beams at a boss. There's three "slots" that can be activated at once, each once has a few different powers.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What i want to know is will i be able to make my CoH hero a Grav/Rad Controller in Power Armor(Check). RAd isn't that important as long as its Gravity and power armor framework.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, that's kinda lame. But really, I consider what they were working with, and I think they are making the best of it.

They basically had most of the game pretty much done, in terms of art resources and level design and the main engine, and then Marvel took its ball and went home.

So, they coulda started from scratch, or they could just go with what they got and re-skin it to fit the Champions IP.

Hopefully they get a little more creative with future zones. All the zones they have right now you can tell are stuff that is re-made from when it was a Marvel game.

Wait, that's the story behind the scenes?

Yeah, I can kinda understand them having placeholder feeling stuff still then, I've been in the same kind of situation and you just wanna say "fuck it, for now A is B" and it shows. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wolfgangpg wrote: »
    No Unique Usernames
    - It takes your username and appends it to your account or global name -- so wolverine@wolfgangpg would be an example
    - When Hulk quits the game and you want to be Hulk, you can still do it, no one squatting on your name.
    - When you do /who it searches the username and account name so /who hulk would bring up hulk@joe or spider-man@hulkster
    Um, is the @<account or global name> part display toggleable? That might be kinda off-setting

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    No Unique Usernames
    Um, is the @<account or global name> part display toggleable? That might be kinda off-setting

I will have to investigate. It does not show Spider-Man@Hulk above the users head. It only shows up in the chat box.

Above the character's head is just "Spider-Man", but if he talked, then in the chat box you would see "Spider-Man@Hulk".

wolfgangpg on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    No Unique Usernames

I will have to investigate. It does not show Spider-Man@Hulk above the users head. It only shows up in the chat box.

Above the character's head is just "Spider-Man", but if he talked, then in the chat box you would see "Spider-Man@Hulk".

I think you can hide it if you don't want to show it.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Akinos on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So can people in the beta tell us more about the whole Nemesis thing? I hear about how there'll be custom quests or whatever featuring the nemesis, and even the chance to face-off against other peoples nemesis. Does it feel dynamic, or obtuse?

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn this game sounds cool. I so want to try this out, even though I admit, I shamelessly steal other people's IP's.
    But finally, I can tell the true story of the great and glorious ghost coursair Le Chuck! And how he was relentlessly harrassed and persecuted by the evil pirate Threepwood! Curse you Threepwood!!!

Behumat on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So can people in the beta tell us more about the whole Nemesis thing? I hear about how there'll be custom quests or whatever featuring the nemesis, and even the chance to face-off against other peoples nemesis. Does it feel dynamic, or obtuse?

http://championsonlinedailynews.com/nemesis-arriving-early/#continue
    In Champions Online, you don’t just get to create your own hero, but also a villain who attempts to thwart your good work during the game, and has evil plots all their own. This system is called Nemesis.
    Senior game designer Randy Mosiondz told us about some of the plans the team have for Nemesis, and why Cryptic decided to bring this feature forward within the story.

“A lot of fans are really anticipating Nemesis,” he said.”Originally, we planned to introduce this at Level 30, but the fans told us they wanted it earlier, so we have brought it back to Level 25.
    “We pride our ourselves on listening to player feedback, based on Beta. One of the big things they thought was important to them was Nemesis. What we heard was ‘This seems really cool, I’d like to get it earlier. 30 seems late, is there a way you can move it back?’
    “So we carved out a niche in our schedule so we can actually bring Nemesis forward. We’re establishing a prelude to your Nemesis coming to his or her full power.”

How does Nemesis actually work within the story? “So you create the Nemesis, you encounter him early on. The Level 30-and-above content is still in place but we’ve added additional elements so you’ll experience him sooner via some of those early plots. By mid-game you’ve had time to establish your character and it becomes more and more clear that there’s someone you’ve crossed in some way during your adventures.

“A recurring villain is a big part of the comic genre. Seeing this guy show up from time to time - your Nemesis and associated minions - and you fight him from time to time or your nemesis and/or minions do various bad things and you have to thwart them.
    “But any decent personal enemy gets into the habit of escaping your clutches, and that’s all part of the unfolding plot. Eventually you get into a showdown situation where you get to fight and try to defeat your Nemesis once and for all. When that happens you can actually put him away in prison, assuming you are victorious.”

But that’s not the end of your character’s troubles. Superheroes tend to gather enemies in large numbers. “You get to create a new Nemesis because an established hero will have done enough good things in the world that you’ve crossed enough people. You end up with a gallery of Nemesis characters.

“You are creating them one at a time and but that doesn’t mean that we won’t have situations in the game where your Nemesis springs your other Nemesis and they team up on you. It’s a classic type of comic situation.

“Another fun part of Nemesis is interrogating his or her minions in order to uncover dastardly plots. Minions will try to jump you, and that’s where you can discover what your Nemesis is up to. Some of them drop a clue or you interrogate them, rough them up some, and make them talk.”
    Making Nemesis a part of the multiplayer experience has been a significant part of the development process. Mosiondz adds, “One of the epic, epic things that we have is a big heroic group versus the league of evil. We want to incorporate certain situations in the game where you go in as a team and you face a team of Nemeses. Epic multiplayer battles between the heroes and the villains is a huge part of the gameplay. You can team up with a friend to try and take on your Nemesis or his Nemesis.”

He adds, “This additional Nemesis content really is a lot of work and we’re using the extra development time to bring in as much Nemesis as possible.”

wolfgangpg on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goddamn, it sounds so good.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there going to be an Open Beta for this? please tell me there is going to be an Open Beta for this...

I don't trust my luck to get me in. (though I signed up a little while ago)

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So um, im in the beta, and havent played in about a month.

Is the game in a considerably better state yet? Or should I still not bother?

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's disheartening to hear how many people are in the beta but not playing it. I want in so bad it hurts.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, the Nemesis system is just plain awesome. That'll be like this game's mount, only better. It's a status symbol, plus you can really show off your creativity. I love it.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I also like to use the power armor framework because it has a lot more visual effects going at once. It works differently than the other powers in that it's offensive abilities can be toggled. So I can be firing wrist bolters, while shooting lasers from my eyes, and also firing rockets from my chest all at once. The rockets are AOE, so they take out minions while I fire my bolters and laser beams at a boss. There's three "slots" that can be activated at once, each once has a few different powers.

I need new pants. And a cigarette.

When's this coming out? And to whom do I send bribes to get them to sneak me into this beta?

(I've already signed up, mind you.)

KiTA on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Woah woah woah what the fuck

This went to beta? Fuck this completily dipped under my radar for whatever reason. D:

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Woah woah woah what the fuck

This went to beta? Fuck this completily dipped under my radar for whatever reason. D:

Closed beta with servers up only certain nights. Here's to hoping open beta comes with unrestricted server access soon.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goddamn, it sounds so good.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    New dev blog on Energy Projection frameworks:

http://www.champions-online.com/node/80020
    At first, many of the Energy Projector power sets probably seem identical. But a great deal of work went into making the differences, which appear to be irrelevant subtleties to an amateur, be game-changing to a professional.

In general, Fire and Electricity are ranged, with easy access to Area-of-Effect damage. But it’s not as simple as that. For example, Fire is all very much about location-based AOE. For example: I hit you, and I cause damage to any friends that are near you. Electricity has arc-based damage: I hit you, and an arc will bounce to a friend of yours, and that arc could be double or triple what the Fire damage would be. Fire damage tends to linger over time, while Electricity has more up-front damage. Fire is built more to be a “fire and forget” set, where I blast the person, they catch on fire, and then I can ignore them. Whereas Electricity is built to beat-down one guy and then move on to the next set. To a novice player, they may feel very similar in what they do, but to an expert player, it’s an entirely different playing style.

Force is a defensive set masquerading as an offensive set. Force has personal force fields, the ability to wrap force fields around allies. It’s got a very good block enhancer, and force has a lot of knockback, enabling it to do damage without allowing enemies to get close. The flipside is that force doesn’t have a “form” power, like Fire and Ice do. So, indirectly, Force’s maximum damage is comparatively capped against a Fire attack. Also, Force isn’t natively AOE. A person who uses it while soloing one target will be nearly indistinguishable from a person using Fire, but in terms of total damage output over time in a large group, Force will fall far behind.

Ice introduces many elements of crowd control. It has lots of slows and snares. You can create walls, barriers, and columns of ice. This is all based around both crowd and environment control. Ice will hold its own in terms of damage and if you play the environment correctly and get people caught in between your ice structures when you detonate them, it can do extremely high damage. But at the same time, it’s a set that requires a lot of micromanagement to keep up with the amount of damage you could do almost effortlessly with Fire or Electricity.

It is explicitly our goal to allow anyone to jump in and play with any power set they want, and if they want to take it to a deeper level, anyone can excel at the specific play style. And because these powers all use the same model, you can criss-cross them however you want.

Of these power sets, my favorite is definitely Force. I’m always the type of player who enjoys being able to perform a variety of goals and being able to do a variety of things. Force’s combination of solid (though not top-class) offense, together with very good defense and the ability to provide support in the form of protective bubbles on your allies makes it, in my opinion, as the most fun.

On Friday, we'll be talking about the Martial Arts powers and how they play differently from the rest of the sets. See you then!

Akinos on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just chanced into this thread and wow this looks really good. I signed up for the beta, fingers crossed.

Still no beta key. I'm losing hope on one coming in the mail.

:cry:

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Guys, I will put a guild application together. That may increase your chances of getting a beta invite sooner rather than just applying.

If you want in on this guild invite, PM me your email address please. Your for-reals email address, the one you would want a beta key sent to if I can get you in.

Pony on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We kinda already did a PA guild app though. Which is how most of us got in.

I guess you're free to try another.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    We kinda already did a PA guild app though. Which is how most of us got in.

I guess you're free to try another.

Yes, yes I am. Thank you.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I believe in Pony.

Akinos on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I hope aboard the guild train 2.0. Sounds like the beta is beginning to pick up a bit.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are they even still doing the guild beta thing? I haven't heard anything new about it from them or those that applied. It seemed like a one shot deal. There was never any word past the first wave.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    They will need a large number come stress test time.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sent you my info Pony -- good luck and thanks for at least trying!

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Are they even still doing the guild beta thing? I haven't heard anything new about it from them or those that applied. It seemed like a one shot deal. There was never any word past the first wave.

I have a fairly good feeling that if I personally submit this guild application it will go through and promptly.

Pony on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks like I'm in this now. Name is kronys

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
This discussion has been closed.