As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead I and II: New VS/Survival DLC announced

• Options
    ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Job_41:25 wrote: »
    Reagan wrote: »
    I think it was an issue serverside. You should be able to connect now. I have to upgrade my sourcemod version also.

Edit: Reagen beat me to it.

I might be confused, but it appears that all of your servers in your sig are set to C-Op and not to versus (all have max 4 players)

You set all that in the lobby the server changes max players depending on game mode.

...that makes sense, the only way I have ever chosen a server is the "connect" command and that bypasses the lobby system altogether. I guess I'll have to get used to the other search commands.

Reagan on
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think it was an issue serverside. You should be able to connect now. I have to upgrade my sourcemod version also.

Edit: Reagen beat me to it.

I might be confused, but it appears that all of your servers in your sig are set to C-Op and not to versus (all have max 4 players)

You set all that in the lobby the server changes max players depending on game mode.

So how do you directly pick your servers? ms_force_server doesn't seem to work. Or was last night a fluke? Really wanted to play with snare speak. :(

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    SoulGate wrote: »
    So how do you directly pick your servers? ms_force_server doesn't seem to work. Or was last night a fluke? Really wanted to play with snare speak. :(

Last night was a fluke, use what Mandalore posted. The IPs are in my sig.
    instead of sv_search_key, use
    ms_force_dedicated_server "000.000.000.000:00000"

It will connect you to a specific server. The 0s replaced with the actual IP, obviously.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Last night was a fluke, use what Mandalore posted. The IPs are in my sig.
    instead of sv_search_key, use
    ms_force_dedicated_server "000.000.000.000:00000"

It will connect you to a specific server. The 0s replaced with the actual IP, obviously.
    And all that time, those bastards were blaming me for your server fluke.
    Then I finally convinced them I wasn't you, and we spent an hour trying to figure out how to start the game. Good times last night. Good times.
    Really

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Is there a mod to be able to release a snare? That would add a level of complexity that could "mix things up" a bit.

I've encountered one on one random server- right click to release smoker tongue. Personally, I hated it- I had a habit of accidentally hitting RMB, releasing an other wise doomed survivor and ruining an ambush because of it.

I suppose now that I know you don't need to constantly hit RMB to do damage to a survivor you've grabbed, it would be fine.
    :(

Antithesis on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Iriah wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »
    What were you dudes trying to do?

Today I enlisted a dude to me my campaign alpha tester guy and we ran through the (extremely unfinished) first map of my campaign, first on normal, then on expert where he died, then on versus as infected against a team of survivor bots. It's already fun! Game totally knows where to spawn witches and tanks.
    temporary poster used for loading screen olol
    loadingscreen_wip-1.png

The .vpk system for distributing stuff really is more awesome than I expected it to be, it's super easy to do and then shit just works the way it oughta. Makes a guy want to mod shit all day long... which, being woefully unemployed, is kind of what I do lately.

Do you need testers? I've just got L4D working and I am preternaturally available

Not yet, I might later on though.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Antithesis wrote: »

Is there a mod to be able to release a snare? That would add a level of complexity that could "mix things up" a bit.

I've encountered one on one random server- right click to release smoker tongue. Personally, I hated it- I had a habit of accidentally hitting RMB, releasing an other wise doomed survivor and ruining an ambush because of it.

I suppose now that I know you don't need to constantly hit RMB to do damage to a survivor you've grabbed, it would be fine.
    :(
    AHAHAHAHA
    Bet your finger got quite tired when you were a smoker, getting your tounge all tangled up around zoey, just having to mash that button over and over and...
    :winky::winky::winky:

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I actually wasn't sure for quite a while whether or not you had to hold left click to keep them tongued, and didn't find out for ages because i didn't want to risk losing my grab.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Get onto Armadeaddon chat right now if you are interested in a full PA versus with snare speak.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    In the custom map front, I've been wanting to make something new and unique, but I just have to do this for me and my friends. I think I shared this with this forum before but whatever.

WARNING: Lots of images coming up. Anyway.

This is my school:

25rzbs6.jpg
    2j69zyu.jpg
    23ru69g.jpg

And...

(Lots of Slightly Large Images Coming Up)
    This is my school on Left 4 Dead.
    141peth.jpg
    2n7iqe1.jpg
    ac8vur.jpg
    efky05.jpg
    fp5sk.jpg
    whljwp.jpg
    2iarlfl.jpg
    10dw5qb.jpg

Obviously, this is just for me and my friends, so I won't be releasing this publicly. But I'm so happy at how good I was able to turn the place I graduated from last year into a zombie apocalypse, that I had to show it off. This is a converted map for my Senior Project, and one of the main things I did was try to make everything in scale. So this is about 90% in accurate scale in-game.

RCagent on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That is really cool man.

good job!

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Damn man, COOL. Now I've got to do something like this....arg, TIME TO LEARN THE STEAM SDK! Muahaha...ha.....

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And now you will be arrested on grounds of "Intent of turning classmates into zombies and using firearms on them. Bullets, even. Killing innocents.

-Officer Thompson"

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    When that kid got arrested for making a Counter-Strike map of his school I was so fucking pissed off.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Back when I was in elementary school, we made a map of the school for Doom II. It was cool. The final room was the lunch room, and the lunchlady was a Hell Knight.

Obviously, times are a lot cooler now. I guess the Tank can be the principal, or something.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You could change his texture so he was in a suit.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Am I the only one that almost bought a $10 copy of the xbox magazine just so I could get that premium theme/gamer pics?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    RCagent wrote: »
    In the custom map front, I've been wanting to make something new and unique, but I just have to do this for me and my friends. I think I shared this with this forum before but whatever.

*Schools out forever*
    [/SPOILER]

And you don't want to release publicly.... why? It looks like a very awesome map that I would enjoy playing on. Very nicely done, even sticking original painting and posters to the walls. And is that also custom graphitti?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It bugs me that the posters are stretched. Or maybe you've just got your texture settings on low or med?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The PA server we were on (I think it was Job's) had snare speak working for the first map but then it stopped. Those people with servers are you running version 1.5 or or the very recently added 1.55 which fixes "Fixed fatal error that caused snare channels to no longer work. Using sv_alltalk again."

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

*Schools out forever*
    [/SPOILER]

And you don't want to release publicly.... why? It looks like a very awesome map that I would enjoy playing on. Very nicely done, even sticking original painting and posters to the walls. And is that also custom graphitti?

Yeah, my friends gave me some ideas of what Survivors would probably write on the walls. And Yes, I went out to make sure it looks and feels like the original school, with posters and even this huge scale mural we have:

okrl6p.jpg

But the reason I don't want to release it publically, is that my administration got concerned oncee with it (Since it was my Senior Project before.) Because I had made a video on youtube showcasing work on it with the PORTAL GUN.

So I'm sure the aspect of gunning down Zombies in a corpse ridden blood spilled apocalyptic hell version of the school wouldn't be that pleasing.

Granted, I've already graduated from that school and the administration has changed.

If I do publically release I'll probably try to "obscure" the name of the high school. That might soften the "OMGWTF" factor.
    LaCabra wrote: »
    It bugs me that the posters are stretched. Or maybe you've just got your texture settings on low or med?

My Computer isn't the best, and the textures aren't that high quality. That combined with the fact my Camera is kind of shitty and made some blurry photos. So yeah :(

RCagent on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I think it's not so much that they're afraid of students getting the wrong idea from playing in a map like that and shooting up the school, but rather the releasing of a virtual map to the public in general, combined with the Big Bad Terrorist Scare. I mean, what if Osama got his hands on that?!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Can't have terrorists havin' fun.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, it's mainly a map just for my friends to live the so awesome dream that we all had of surviving a onslaught of zombies in a familiar place.

But yeah, theres LOTS of custom textures going on in here. Most of them are just signs and posters. Here's a few of them:

Vertical Scroll'd
    qsntc8.jpg

RCagent on
  • Options
    Commissar DemosthenesCommissar Demosthenes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That's pretty awesome. If I had skill I would make one of my Highschool. It's not very good for zombie shooting though.

Commissar Demosthenes on
    Steam name: Chicago Ted.
    96cce.png
    oh god I am not good at battlefield
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey I think maybe THE_ted's account may have been hacked so beware of messages from him.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I would've done one of my school but it had some seriously whack architecture that would have been a massive pain in the arse.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My school was a huge sprawling wilderness with occasional buildings. It may work well for L4D, but it would be way beyond my capabilities to map.

Also, I think I've found out what Bill did for all those years between 'Nam and the zombie apocalypse.
    wtf_pics-kitchen-lord.jpg

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    The PA server we were on (I think it was Job's) had snare speak working for the first map but then it stopped. Those people with servers are you running version 1.5 or or the very recently added 1.55 which fixes "Fixed fatal error that caused snare channels to no longer work. Using sv_alltalk again."

The newest version must have just come out. I've updated it.

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

s'coo, tho

b/c we won.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

*Schools out forever*
    [/SPOILER]

Yeah, my friends gave me some ideas of what Survivors would probably write on the walls. And Yes, I went out to make sure it looks and feels like the original school, with posters and even this huge scale mural we have:
    okrl6p.jpg

But the reason I don't want to release it publically, is that my administration got concerned oncee with it (Since it was my Senior Project before.) Because I had made a video on youtube showcasing work on it with the PORTAL GUN.

So I'm sure the aspect of gunning down Zombies in a corpse ridden blood spilled apocalyptic hell version of the school wouldn't be that pleasing.

Granted, I've already graduated from that school and the administration has changed.

If I do publically release I'll probably try to "obscure" the name of the high school. That might soften the "OMGWTF" factor.

As long as it's on the Armageddon server, I will be happy.
    TyrantCow wrote: »

s'coo, tho

b/c we won.

Wait I was on your team with Prof Phobios, and I could have sworn we lost... I mean it sure felt like we were losing the whole time (until the end :mrgreen: )

Reagan on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009

okrl6p.jpg

My Computer isn't the best, and the textures aren't that high quality. That combined with the fact my Camera is kind of shitty and made some blurry photos. So yeah :(
    Fuck that shit, if I was you, I'd release it and with the name of the school "Easter Egg'd" somewhere in the map. Especially since we've graduated.

Just lay it down sucka, they deserve some zombies.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

s'coo, tho

b/c we won.

Wait I was on your team with Prof Phobios, and I could have sworn we lost... I mean it sure felt like we were losing the whole time (until the end :mrgreen: )

no, that was just phobos

i don't even know if he was being sarcastic or not with all the "just look at these teams, we're gonna get worked."

because, we actually lead (by a very small margin) the entire game; then, put it away with the finale

it was a great game, every level was incredibly close.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Man, I don't know either.

Great game though. Probably one of the best PA versussessessses I've had.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

okrl6p.jpg

Fuck that shit, if I was you, I'd release it and with the name of the school "Easter Egg'd" somewhere in the map. Especially since we've graduated.

It's right to be cautious about this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/student-arrested-over-cs-map

Basically there was a case about 2 years back where a kid made a CS map of his school to play with his mates. This was done off school grounds and didn't really have anything to do with the school other than the fact that they used it as a location. So word gets around, the map spreads to a few other people. One of the kids mom's sees the map and freaks, likely because she was seeing this map not long after the Virginia Tech shootings. She calls the the police. The police pick up the kid that made the map. A search of his room reveals a hammer, which they confiscate in evidence as an offensive weapon.

Subsequently, said mapmaker was never charged but despite being a bright kid, he was forced to leave and instead placed in a remedial school (the incident was treated the same as if he had called in a false threat on the school), and IIRC was not allowed to graduate alongside the rest of his class.

I am not making any of this up. The authorities and general public freak out over innocuous stuff like this because they really don't have understanding of the context or situation. Even if you're out and graduated, this can still easily affect you, especially if it's seen as something akin to a threat on the school (as in the case above).

I'm not trying to say it was wrong you made the map, it really wasn't. I just want you to be aware that there's a possibility that if you do release it, someone sees it and doesn't understand, and then a whole storm hits you purely because of panic and moral outrage. I mean crap, if the local newstation manage to find a semi computer literate guy and run footage tearing through the school gunning down "infected" people, man, I can taste the moral panic from here.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to get you down if I have. I just want you to be aware of how scared people still are over this and what they might do to you as a result.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    -snip-

It's right to be cautious about this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/student-arrested-over-cs-map

Basically there was a case about 2 years back where a kid made a CS map of his school to play with his mates. This was done off school grounds and didn't really have anything to do with the school other than the fact that they used it as a location. So word gets around, the map spreads to a few other people. One of the kids mom's sees the map and freaks, likely because she was seeing this map not long after the Virginia Tech shootings. She calls the the police. The police pick up the kid that made the map. A search of his room reveals a hammer, which they confiscate in evidence as an offensive weapon.

Subsequently, said mapmaker was never charged but despite being a bright kid, he was forced to leave and instead placed in a remedial school (the incident was treated the same as if he had called in a false threat on the school), and IIRC was not allowed to graduate alongside the rest of his class.

I am not making any of this up. The authorities and general public freak out over innocuous stuff like this because they really don't have understanding of the context or situation. Even if you're out and graduated, this can still easily affect you, especially if it's seen as something akin to a threat on the school (as in the case above).

I'm not trying to say it was wrong you made the map, it really wasn't. I just want you to be aware that there's a possibility that if you do release it, someone sees it and doesn't understand, and then a whole storm hits you purely because of panic and moral outrage. I mean crap, if the local newstation manage to find a semi computer literate guy and run footage tearing through the school gunning down "infected" people, man, I can taste the moral panic from here.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to get you down if I have. I just want you to be aware of how scared people still are over this and what they might do to you as a result.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. It happened while I was working on this for my Senior Project. It's also the underlying reasons I really don't want to publicly release it. That and if there WAS some crazy psychotic dude who used my map to practice actually performing something horrible, I'd hate myself forever.

RCagent on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    i think it would be cool if people released more shit like this, just to eventually curb the idiocy that subedii describes.

if people are never confronted with it they will continue to think that video games are murder simulators

LEFF F444 DEED IS A MURDER SIMULATOR!!!!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    TERRORISTS COULD USE THE MAP LAYOUT AS BLUEPRINTS FOR THEIR KILLING RUN

HAVE YOU ALL GONE MAAAAD?

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i think it would be cool if people released more shit like this, just to eventually curb the idiocy that subedii describes.

if people are never confronted with it they will continue to think that video games are murder simulators

I don't know. I mean Germany's pretty much the PC gaming capital of Europe, and there games are considered murder simulators, to the extent that they're still mulling over banning violent videogames outright.

Heck, Crytek are based in Germany. Their game rates relatively low in terms of FPS screen violence but it is an FPS. A few years back they were raided by armed riot police in their homes. That post makes a pretty interesting read, gives some insight into the difficulties Crytek face as a games developer in Germany.

I think realistically, it's just something that's going to take time and one or two more generations before games are a commonplace enough aspect of society. Even then, I wouldn't expect the average person to understand what a mod or custom level was, how frequent they are, and how they're very often based around real world and familiar locales.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yeah, F that jazz. I'm going to learn to make maps, and I will make a map of EVERY BUILDING I GO INTO.

Someday someone will have a heart attack in walmart and the EMT will know exactly the easiest way to get there because of my maps. Think of the lives we can save!

s'coo, tho

b/c we won.

no, that was just phobos

i don't even know if he was being sarcastic or not with all the "just look at these teams, we're gonna get worked."

because, we actually lead (by a very small margin) the entire game; then, put it away with the finale

it was a great game, every level was incredibly close.

To be honest, looking at the teams before hand, I lost heart. I didn't know two of our team, and the one I did know was a griefing rage quitting a-hole.

Reagan on
This discussion has been closed.