Options

End of Dark Reign *Speculation, but spoilers may come up*

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, Secret Invasion was too little story stretched across too many books. Ultimately, tie-ins succeeded or failed based on the strength of their leads, not their plots or the nonexistent characterizations of their antagonists.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Dark Reign should be considered an event largely due to it's enormity and massive effect it had on the Marvel Universe.

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robos, I hope Incredible Herc is excluded from that analysis, because it had a great plot and characterization.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll agree with plot, but were the Skrull gods that well characterized? I'm not so sure, though my memory's a bit fuzzy. Or is that not the characterization you were referencing?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, Incredible Hercules would be one of the rare exceptions. For the most part, though, every tie-in was about the resident heroes taking out some random Skrull or Skrull plot that was considered essential to the invasion, though they would never be referenced outside of that tie-in.

Herc gets a pass because it wasn't just a bunch of fight scenes against mix and match skrulls and its villains, the Skrull gods, had distinct appearances and personalities.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, Incredible Hercules would be one of the rare exceptions. For the most part, though, every tie-in was about the resident heroes taking out some random Skrull or Skrull plot who was considered essential to the invasion, though they would never be referenced outside of that tie-in.

Initiative, while good, did this pretty much to the letter. Well, essential to the invasion in the case of defeat. Launching Earth into the Negative Zone? Sounds like a plan!

Faynor on
  • Options
    Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Yeah, Incredible Hercules would be one of the rare exceptions. For the most part, though, every tie-in was about the resident heroes taking out some random Skrull or Skrull plot who was considered essential to the invasion, though they would never be referenced outside of that tie-in.

Initiative, while good, did this pretty much to the letter. Well, essential to the invasion in the case of defeat. Launching Earth into the Negative Zone? Sounds like a plan!

Where's my Dark Reign: Frontline? I need my fix of Sally Floyd calling someone fascist. I'm jonesing here, man!

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If there is a Frontline for the upcoming Dark Reign event (The List or whatever it's called), it'll probably star Ben Urich.

It'd be pretty cool if a non-powered individual took down Norman, actually.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If there is a Frontline for the upcoming Dark Reign event (The List or whatever it's called), it'll probably star Ben Urich.

Agreed, but who's non-powered and still semi-important right now? Harry? Aunt May? Stephen Strange? Danielle Cage?

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was talking about Ben Urich, though I guess Aunt May could hit him with her purse a little too.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Interview w/ Wacker for The List: Spider-Man
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090621-the-list-spider-man.html

Relevant quote:
    NRAMA: When you say he's got a piece of information, is this more about the investigative side or rather the journalist side of Peter that's going to try to take Norman down?

SW: Yes. I can absolutely confirm that we're going to be seeing Frontline here. We're going to be seeing Nora, everyone's new favorite lady reporter. Initially, this is about power through the press.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Or stuff him full of wheatcakes.

Urich seems content to leave Norman alone, as per the Spidey issues. Of anyone on that staff, Norah would be the most likely to dig up some usable dirt on him. Whether or not she's interesting enough to make that move is a different story.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That's not because Urich has no interest in going after Norman, though. Hell, he's the guy who originally exposed Norman as the Goblin. He's just being prudent at the moment.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Agreed, but who's non-powered and still semi-important right now? Harry? Aunt May? Stephen Strange? Danielle Cage?

Strange still has powers, he's just not Sorcerer Supreme. Still quite a great spellcaster in his own right, just doesn't have the trinkets that come with job. It's kind of like, if you take a way a Jedi's lightsaber, well they can still hit in the face with their mind.

And I wonder what powers they'll eventually give Danielle Cage. I mean, both her parents are invulnerable. I would probably read the wacky misadventures of THE BABY WHO CANNOT BE HURT!

And as for Urich, he tried to call out Norman and got lambasted for it. It was in Frontline: SI I think. He said something like, "Hellooooooo! You're a former supervillain! You murdered people!" (the obvious, really) and the whole crowd got pissed at him.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay, now I want Dark Reign to end with Luke Cage throwing his invulnerable baby girl at Norman Osborn's head.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That's not because Urich has no interest in going after Norman, though. Hell, he's the guy who originally exposed Norman as the Goblin. He's just being prudent at the moment.

Yeah, in ASM 595 he just said that they couldn't go after him without proof. Pretty reasonable stance for a guy running a newspaper.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay, now I want Dark Reign to end with Luke Cage throwing his invulnerable baby girl at Norman Osborn's head.

This is the best thing.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I second this.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Osborn would have to defeat the Hulk.
    Considering how so many people around here wet themselves at how he deals with Bob, I'm surprised that this is mentioned like it couldn't happen under the very same concept.
    I enjoyed Secret Invasion, but I think it may have stood up better if it had stayed in the Avengers books, like Bendis' original intention.
    Tie-ins sell more copies. That's why this shit will never stop.
    And I wonder what powers they'll eventually give Danielle Cage. I mean, both her parents are invulnerable. I would probably read the wacky misadventures of THE BABY WHO CANNOT BE HURT!

So... Heroes?
    And as for Urich, he tried to call out Norman and got lambasted for it. It was in Frontline: SI I think. He said something like, "Hellooooooo! You're a former supervillain! You murdered people!" (the obvious, really) and the whole crowd got pissed at him.
    DR: New Nation
    That's not because Urich has no interest in going after Norman, though. Hell, he's the guy who coined the term "Dark Reign" in the Marvel U. He's just being prudent at the moment.
    Fixed.

How the Hell is he not all over that bullshit from the end of DR: Hawkeye #1?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    How the Hell is he not all over that bullshit from the end of DR: Hawkeye #1?

Because they copped it out, if I remember correctly.

Faynor on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, gee. I'm shocked.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was talking about Ben Urich, though I guess Aunt May could hit him with her purse a little too.

Bullshit, she'll just straight up kill the mother fucker with arsenic.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I prefer to think of Aunt May killing Osborne with wheatcakes, a la Nightmare on Elm Street 4.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That's a reference I know I should be getting.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

I prefer to think of Aunt May killing Osborne with wheatcakes, a la Nightmare on Elm Street 4.

I, for one, would like to see May unsuspectingly ride the goblin glider and backflip off of it Matrix Style, while it impales Norman's chest similar to
    the ending
    of Spiderman 1.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Episode of the live-action series.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Episode of the live-action series.

Found it

SensationalSpider-Man31-020.jpg

SensationalSpider-Man31-021.gif

Bitch is cold.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    See, if Aunt May did that more often instead of boneing Jameson's dad a ton and working at some shelter, I think I'd like her more.

Faynor on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The problem with an Aunt May that tough, though, is that it then makes no sense how paranoid Peter is about her all the time.

Plus, it's more than a little creepy.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I guess I can see how she sort of looks like a crazy, and it might have been more prudent to crush up twelve sleeping pills instead of putting deadly poison in the cookies, but she obviously can't physically defend herself.

And for fuck's sake, it's about time Peter stopped having to worry about his aunt and significant other. I'm just about ready for them to inject the super soldier serum in her if they insist on keeping her around.

Faynor on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    She needs to die and he gets a new cast of associates.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That response becomes much funnier when your sig is read as the end of it.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That response becomes much funnier when your sig is read as the end of it.

I too have now laughed.

I really dont like her, I mean I used to but time has moved on and her movie incarnation doesn't help. But the attachment he has to her is bordering on psychotic, I mean he gave up his wife and altered the world for her. Shes a huge pain in hte ass and Peter will never grow as long as she is alive.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I get the sense that she's only there because she's entrenched in the Spider-Man mythos, not because anyone particularly likes her or knows what to do with her. It's a shame that, in spite of Marvel being willing to shake up the status quo in other ways, she's managed to stick around.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I get the sense that she's only there because she's entrenched in the Spider-Man mythos, not because anyone particularly likes her or knows what to do with her.

Eh. They did it once, its just that it was then retconned. Shes not done anything integral to the mythos in a while apart from be an excuse.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The problem with an Aunt May that tough, though, is that it then makes no sense how paranoid Peter is about her all the time.

Peter doesn't stay with her because he loves her, he stays because he's her jailer. Without Spiderman Aunt May would cut a bloody tea and biscuits themed swath through the New York super powered community.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Peter doesn't stay with her because he loves her, he stays because he's her jailer. Without Spiderman Aunt May would cut a bloody tea and biscuits themed swath through the New York super powered community.

"Aunt May Kills The Marvel Universe"

Written By Jeph Leob

Illustrated by Rob Liefeld

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm sorry, but honestly, if written by a competent writer, that could be an amazing story.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    When does the next Spider-Man come out? I want Norman to grab the wounded Parker by the throat and say "Im fucked in the head and did some bad shit but you? You're sane and you did that shit. You're a fucking monster."

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but honestly, if written by a competent writer, that could be an amazing story.

I'll note you don't seem to have a problem with Liefeld on art.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png