Options

End of Dark Reign *Speculation, but spoilers may come up*

• Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but honestly, if written by a competent writer, that could be an amazing story.

I'll note you don't seem to have a problem with Liefeld on art.

Well, it's not like we'll need to see too many feet drawn.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm sorry, but honestly, if written by a competent writer, that could be an amazing story.

Well, it's not like we'll need to see too many feet drawn.

Aunt May with 1 million pouches? I'd buy that.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I guess I can see how she sort of looks like a crazy, and it might have been more prudent to crush up twelve sleeping pills instead of putting deadly poison in the cookies, but she obviously can't physically defend herself.

And for fuck's sake, it's about time Peter stopped having to worry about his aunt and significant other. I'm just about ready for them to inject the super soldier serum in her if they insist on keeping her around.
    That's exactly what she did in that scene - she was bluffing Chameleon about the arsenic.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I guess I can see how she sort of looks like a crazy, and it might have been more prudent to crush up twelve sleeping pills instead of putting deadly poison in the cookies, but she obviously can't physically defend herself.

And for fuck's sake, it's about time Peter stopped having to worry about his aunt and significant other. I'm just about ready for them to inject the super soldier serum in her if they insist on keeping her around.
    That's exactly what she did in that scene - she was bluffing Chameleon about the arsenic.

See? She's not a homicidal maniac. Just an awesome old lady who gives a new meaning to "special" baked goods.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I just figured that it's the good writing that would make it a good story, and good art would just contribute to the experience.

That being said, a cyborg Aunt May with a Cable-style gun, pouches, bizarre anatomy, and anger-wrinkles on the face would be pretty fun to look at, too.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, it's no Liefeld but:

auntmay.jpg

Wildcat on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I get the sense that she's only there because she's entrenched in the Spider-Man mythos, not because anyone particularly likes her or knows what to do with her. It's a shame that, in spite of Marvel being willing to shake up the status quo in other ways, she's managed to stick around.

So long as Quesada is in charge over there, it is unlikely Aunt May is going anywhere. This is a guy who once said that he preferred his dead mother over his wife, and would trade them if he could. Frankly, the whole situation with spiderman is an example of this (not to mention every other marriage in the Marvel U, except the Richards, as Sue's a mother (the only thing that saved her)), and of Quesada's bizarre obsession with the series from the period when he was young (Norman Osborn, the king of 70's Spidey villains, is not the king of ALL villains).

Joe Quesada, Modern day inheritor of the proud throne of Jim Shooter.

EDIT: Whoops, that should say "NOW the king of all villains." my bad.

Matthew on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would love to see a panel or debate between Shooter and Quesada.

Going by what JMS has written online recently, Dark Reign is going to lead into something with Asgard, so Loki will be the next bad guy to take his reign as top dog. Norman probably is forced to go after Asgard for some reason, and so you have a bunch of Asgardian attacking the world. Like Kryptonians. Or Amazons.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Or zombies.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Or mole-people.

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mole people!

Verr on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Going by what JMS has written online recently, Dark Reign is going to lead into something with Asgard, so Loki will be the next bad guy to take his reign as top dog. Norman probably is forced to go after Asgard for some reason, and so you have a bunch of Asgardian attacking the world. Like Kryptonians. Or Amazons.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21780 - JMS is calling the event "Siege of Asgard" and he's leaving Thor because of it.

Hensler on
  • Options
    BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reading the most recent New Avengers, it's even more clear that (as several people here have already predicted), the table's being set for major magical events to come. Daimon Hellstrom as much as said so himself, and with the major Push that the Hood is receiving, plus the reveal that Trauma's powers are magic-based, plus Brother Voodoo becoming Dr. Strange and getting his own series, it would make pretty good sense.

Siege of Asgard would be interesting, though, for a few reasons. Most notably that Asgard is in Latveria now, and Atlantis is also allied with Latveria (or was as of the Sub-Mariner miniseries, anyways). That would be a pretty tough alliance to topple.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man, that's an "axis of assholes" right there.

If they do it that way, it would be cool to see the MI-13 team with say the FF fight in Latveria, a quasi European front. The US heroes could then beat up the Atlanteans and maybe we could see something meaningful in just beating Namor down to recognizing our heroes aren't as weak as he always thinks (the arrogance just gets old to me). And then Thor and some other magical heroes can take back Asgard from Loki and whoever else there would be on his side, like the Hood or Dormamu.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TheSkyIsBurningTheSkyIsBurning __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Man, that's an "axis of assholes" right there.

If they do it that way, it would be cool to see the MI-13 team with say the FF fight in Latveria, a quasi European front. The US heroes could then beat up the Atlanteans and maybe we could see something meaningful in just beating Namor down to recognizing our heroes aren't as weak as he always thinks (the arrogance just gets old to me). And then Thor and some other magical heroes can take back Asgard from Loki and whoever else there would be on his side, like the Hood or Dormamu.

Yeah, The Hood is Loki's bitch now. XD

TheSkyIsBurning on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Reading the most recent New Avengers, it's even more clear that (as several people here have already predicted), the table's being set for major magical events to come.
    It's not so much predicting as it was DnA letting the cat out of the bag when they mentioned that Adam Warlock is now a super-mage (and they've been showing how other races have mystics, too) for that reason. But since all of the magic is housed on Earth and because Earth is, frankly, special...

You know, it's funny. The Marvel U is almost D&Dish in that gods and demigods are real and annoy the shit out of people and stick their noses into human affairs where they aren't wanted. It's had the Japanese pantheon attack the greco-romans. Asgard is Asgard. Dr. Voodoo's going to be breaking the Loa out of Guinee or wherever they are currently imprisoned. And the collected pantheons are apparently on a constant level of high tension with each other as the conclave showed in Herc's Sacred Invasion. Something's going to give. And the fact that there was a war in Heaven with a winner in Ghost Rider makes it seem like the mystical figures of the Abrahamic faiths, who have always been above or reluctant to get involved with the dealings of dead faiths and Old Gods might not have that luxury anymore.

But it's also interesting how few of the items and major players listed in the Marvel mystical handbook are religious, as opposed to just demonic/transreligious and extradimensional. I would almost expect, especially when you look at Adam Warlock as a nexus for someone to come along and say "Hey, so... How do these things interact with each other exactly?" Because I know Bendis has said that internally there are rules for how magic works (which makes sense. Even IRL there seem to be common patterns and rules to many types of magick, magico-religious practices). And like he said, Dr. Voodoo is going to take a very different position on things like The Hood, the Marvel Zombies, etc.

But I am disappointed that JMS seems to think he's above events or whatever is his problem. Because when you look at the big picture, and that Asgard is a literal place of godly power that is now sitting (almost) empty, and that even Thor cannot enter, you have to imagine that there is no shortage of eyes who want that real estate.

It reminds me too much of Lucifer abandoning Hell in Sandman without any of the diplomatic niceties and formalities that came with the vying for possession of it because control and access to it was given to Morpheus.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2009
    It doesn't seem like he thinks he's above event comics at all. From what I could tell, he basicall says the reason that he doesn't like doing event tie-ins is because he's not good at them.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I got the sense from the interview that he's made Thor a top 10 book, which sells ~90k on its own, and that it really doesn't need an event to be a part of.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2009
    What I got from that interview is that it not being part of an event is why he believed the book maintained the business I did. I'm not 100% sure that's why, considering how hyped people were for Iron Man to show up, and how well-received his Captain America scene was.

He did say in the article that he was bad at writing event tie-ins. He also said he worked with the editors to find away to make the transition as smooth as possible, so I don't think this is a WELL IF YOU'RE GONNA MAKE ME DO AN EVENT I QUIT situation.

A book like Thor which features something as major as Asgard basically hovering over Oklahoma can't expect to be left out of the continuity of other titles, and I'm pretty certain JMS knew this, and was just hoping to put off that inevitable event tie-in from happening. The way the Marvel Universe is now, if something that major gets set up in a book, it's probably going to be featured in some kind of an event.

I don't think he wanted to leave Thor this early, but I don't really think there's any bad blood between Marvel and JMS over it. He also seemed to go out of his way to make sure that he wasn't blaming anyone for him leaving.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think you're projecting a little. He said, blatantly, he likes to write with a one-track mind and struggles to intertwine other stories with his work, so instead of doing so in a mediocre or half-assed manner (Which would break the book's fairly strong streak), he decided to let someone else have it since he's busy as hell anyway.

I get the sense we'd know a little bit, at least, that there was bad blood because he certainly didn't sugarcoat how he felt about OMD.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So anyways, Dark Reign... it's all going to end with Victoria Hand stabbing Osobrn in the back, right? Right after the rest of the Cabal and most of his Avengers desert him? And Victoria Hand reveals that she was Gwen Stacy all along?

Hensler on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Pretty sure Victoria Hand is in Hydra, and so will either stab Osborn in the back before getting bitchslapped by Fury, or Osborn knows, and will take her out before he gets bitchslapped by Fury.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    miracmirac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Red Hulk will bust in and beat up everybody

mirac on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    mirac wrote: »

Your theory seems to be well thought out, and is valued!

Anyyyyyyways. Victoria Hand wasn't a pre-exisitng character, right? The way they have handled her seems strange to me. She's barely even been a supporting character, kind of flying under the radar. I mean, we saw Maria Hill a fair bit when Tony was director.

I think there's at least something afoot with her, but I haven't quite decided what.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Anyyyyyyways. Victoria Hand wasn't a pre-exisitng character, right?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You are terrible at quoting, and also terrible at theories!

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    They are not theories if they are the truth. I asked Joe Q and he was all like "Yo dawg, you're right, you win."

Hensler on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I don't what this would be, but it would be something

A whole lot of it

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Ringo wrote: »

A whole lot of it

And thus begins Red Reign.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ringo wrote: »

A whole lot of it

And thus begins Red Reign.

Dont give them any ideas!

KVW on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    brb faxing this thread to Joe Q

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    House of R.

Faynor on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    no more Hulks

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    no better

everyone is Hulk

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Rulkderbolts & the New Rulkvengers.

It practically writes itself.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rulkfenders and Midnight Rulks.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Let's see, it went from X-Men to Avengers/everyone to Hulk to aliens to badguys to (reportedly) magic/gods.

Unless they make Murdock go super crazy with the Hand, that should do it for events for a while.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    coming 2010: Marvel Mummies

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    2011: Revenge of the Phalanx

Antimatter on