Options

End of Dark Reign *Speculation, but spoilers may come up*

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't see why Cap has to fight Osborn at the end. That's really the sort of role that should be reserved for someone who's actually been involved in Dark Reign, like Tony or to a lesser extent Spider-Man.

Indeed, its not even Osborn who shot him, Cap fuck off and go deal with the Red Skull and Sharon and all that crap and leave Osborn to the Avengers. Cap coming back and dealing the final blow to DR makes the other heroes look like jokes who couldn't do it without him.

Also I've said it before but I am enjoying DR, the Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts and would've enjoyed to see it and Hoods gang going on a lot longer.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why would Hood's gang go anywhere?

Thunderbolts should stick around too since it's not like government employees are going to suddenly become fugitives just because their leader went to jail. They'll just replace Osborn with Gyrich or something.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Thunderbolts should stick around too since it's not like government employees are going to suddenly become fugitives just because their leader went to jail. They'll just replace Osborn with Gyrich or something.

Hoods gang is empowered slightly by Osborn giving them all get out of jail free cards, noone else is going to do that, same for Thunderbolts who are pretty much a hit squad now. Without Osborn, a lot of Hoods gang are gonna get busted and apart from Hood freeing them, theyre gonna do time.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The V-Battalion needs to show up and the Thunderbolts can work for them, so cool.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Hoods gang is empowered slightly by Osborn giving them all get out of jail free cards, noone else is going to do that, same for Thunderbolts who are pretty much a hit squad now. Without Osborn, a lot of Hoods gang are gonna get busted and apart from Hood freeing them, theyre gonna do time.

Yes, because they all had such a hard time staying out of jail before The Hood came along.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The Hood's gang will probably shrink a bit due to increased law enforcement, but I doubt Bendis has been building his organization up for as long as he has just to bring the whole thing down in the background of a 4-part mini. The way I see it, the group will stick around until the magic event that will probably feature Hood in a central role.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Probably my biggest problem I have with this is the dissolving of the Cabal. Unlike the Illuminati they didn't really have a chance to do anything and it would have been ironic if their missions or activities actually succeeded, or at least didn't come back to bite them later. I do have hope however that some version of the Cabal will remain after this since I don't think they'd bother putting Taskmaster in as a replacement otherwise.

BTW I didn't say Steve had to deal the finishing blow, just that he needs to be involved in the fight.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It'll either be Steve or Spider-Man.

Hensler on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I can't see Steve coming back just to thwack Osborn.

Nick Fury, maybe.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hawkeye should do it, and then he can be the pariah of the Marvel heroes club (where Spidey never shuts up about it) and he goes and hangs out with Wolverine and Fury at strip clubs because they're the only ones who would do the same thing.

Make it completely mirror Secret Invasion, although in this case have Clint just walk sup after Osborn is beaten on the ground and shoot him in the head, then look at Fury and they both go ".....recoil. Oh my god, I was thinking the same thing! Hi-5!"

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Or, since The Big Three Avengers (Steve, Tony, Thor) are getting back together, maybe they will all take Osborn down together.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hawkeye would work really well, but I'm wondering if he could do it if Osborn was in the Iron Patriot suit.

I'm just dying to see how they fix Tony, cuz retarded Tony isn't entertaining at all.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Or, since The Big Three Avengers (Steve, Tony, Thor) are getting back together, maybe they will all take Osborn down together.

Right, like Secret Invasion, have all the big name heroes do all the work, then Clint just walks up and shoots the baddie in the head. See, it's like, a symbolism of everything being circular, back to nature, you know? Because comics are printed on paper, so it works?

Hell, go even further and have Clint and Bobbi (or Karla!) be like a cross between Bonnie and Clyde and the Punisher, doing his work until he gets fixed from the Franken-Castle stuff.

I just like Clint being this "Can you not see what the hell this will bring to us all later? I'll get my hands dirty, eff off, let's roll, Karla. (and he gets on his little flying motorcycle thing and into the sunset)"

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Staxeon wrote: »
    Hawkeye would work really well, but I'm wondering if he could do it if Osborn was in the Iron Patriot suit.

I'm just dying to see how they fix Tony, cuz retarded Tony isn't entertaining at all.

He's taken Tony down before in the Iron Man suit, and Norman doesn't even know how to really use the Iron Patriot armor, so I don't think it would be a problem. Most of the times it was with a GPDEMPATHNUANAPAF*, but he could still do it to Osborn. And since I think he meant to get captured by Ares to get inside of the Tower, maybe that's what will happen in the end.

"Gimmick Plot Device EMP Arrow That He Never Uses Against Any Other Power Armored Foe"

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah, Deus Ex Macharrow.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's the best arrow in my arsenal!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like Siege is confirmed to be the ending "event" to dark reign http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091007-Bendis-Siege.html

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wonder what books will tie-in to the Siege. We know at least one issue of Initiative will tie-in due to Taskmaster but more than likely Thor will too. Only other books I can think of are Invincible Iron man and Dark Avengers, and maybe Captain America.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I wonder what books will tie-in to the Siege. We know at least one issue of Initiative will tie-in due to Taskmaster but more than likely Thor will too. Only other books I can think of are Invincible Iron man and Dark Avengers, and maybe Captain America.

All of the Avengers books, and probably all of the solo books about Avengers. Siege gets the band back together. http://comics.ign.com/articles/103/1032693p1.html

Hensler on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

All of the Avengers books, and probably all of the solo books about Avengers. Siege gets the band back together. http://comics.ign.com/articles/103/1032693p1.html

Just as long as Spider-man is still on an Avengers team. Right now, Bendis is the only one who can write Spidey decently.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    cshadow42 wrote: »

Just as long as Spider-man is still on an Avengers team. Right now, Bendis is the only one who can write Spidey decently.

At the risk of bitching, you crazy son. Normally, Bendis has a pretty good Spidey, but here lately you've got to admit he's been pretty bleh. Yelling at people for saying his name and being a jerk to Clint and stuff!

He did have a pretty awesome moment in the most recent issue. All punchin' Iron Patriot and stuff.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    None of the characters in New Avengers have done anything brilliant lately, probably because the recent storylines have all been about how weak and ineffective they are under Osborn's regime.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Siege being the name of the event has me picturing Osborne finally cracking, doing something nuts, and then locking down Avengers tower as his "castle". In order to bring him down the heroes will band together to "siege" Avenger's tower which, of course, will in turn be protected by a bunch of bad duders.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Personally I'd rather not see New or Mighty Avengers cross over into Siege. I think Dark Avengers can provide enough extra content to expand the story, although to be honest I don't know how New Avengers can stay out of this. Slott can just put the Mighty Avengers in another country while this is going on.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mighty doesn't really need to get into it. I mean, the only person who's on the team who was an Original Avenger is Pym.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Looking at the December Mighty solicit it looks like a new story arc starts which should run through Siege so hopefully it does stay out. And damn I didn't realize Christos Gage will eventually be the head writer for Mighty.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That makes me pretty happy. I like Gage more than Slott, I think.

Faynor on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Did anyone read Joe Casey's miniseries about the new villain... Zodiac I think it was. I remember seeing previews for it and really liking Nathan Fox's artwork. That website is NSFW.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Did anyone read Joe Casey's miniseries about the new villain... Zodiac I think it was. I remember seeing previews for it and really liking Nathan Fox's artwork. That website is NSFW.

I've only read the first two books so far, but it's been a good read for the crazy supervillain category.

Hensler on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It was pretty good, and the art is great. My only quibble is that Zodiac lacked character. It seemed like Casey just really liked The Dark Knight's version of the Joker, and decided to apply that street-level anarchist template to a new character.

He says right in the mini that he's really just dedicated to bringing down whoever's on top at the moment. Which makes an interesting three issue mini, but I'm not sure the idea, or character, could stay relevant long-term.

Munch on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In the IGN cover preview, it looks like Loki is a dude again. Is he/she a dude again? I swear Loki was a she while she was hanging out with the Hood.

Looking forward to it tho.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    In the IGN cover preview, it looks like Loki is a dude again. Is he/she a dude again? I swear Loki was a she while she was hanging out with the Hood.

Sif is back. She has not yet punched Loki in the face.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Sif is back. She has not yet punched Loki in the face.

Loki uses magic to appear male, but he's still female.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh. Whatever. Let me know when she's kicking his ass.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

At the risk of bitching, you crazy son. Normally, Bendis has a pretty good Spidey, but here lately you've got to admit he's been pretty bleh. Yelling at people for saying his name and being a jerk to Clint and stuff!

He did have a pretty awesome moment in the most recent issue. All punchin' Iron Patriot and stuff.

I still think he does a better job than most of the BND writers. At least in New Avengers I can be reminded of the mature Parker versus the unlikable BND Parker.

And I don't think he's being a jerk to Clint, I just think Bendis is acknowledging that Peter went through his own little crisis of conscience when Spider-man thought he was ready to kill Osborn. Sorry, but I don't think Spidey will ever truly have murder in his heart.

Now if you wanted to see a cold-blooded, scary version of Peter Parker...I'd recommend Judd Winick's depiction of "Spider" in Exiles.

And its not the first time he's yelled at someone for saying his name. Heck, I'd be yelling at people too.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They are in the super secret Avengers HQ sitting around a coffee table calling him Peter, it's not like they're yelling in the street "Hey Peter look out!"

He doesn't like people saying his name, people can't look at his face when he's doing them, the guy has issues.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    They are in the super secret Avengers HQ sitting around a coffee table calling him Peter, it's not like they're yelling in the street "Hey Peter look out!"

He doesn't like people saying his name, people can't look at his face when he's doing them, the guy has issues.

Myeh, BND-Peter is a lot less mature than pre-BND-Peter. Frankly, I'm about to cancel my subscription to ASM because it reads too much like an Archie comic nowadays.

Anyone here get mail subscriptions to comics versus picking them up at your local comic shop? I just bought a subscription to UCSM and UCA to try out the subscription process. I've been slowly wittling down my subscription list due to the need to save money for other things. Its about 50% cheaper to order them by mail, even with the 10% discount my local comic shop gives me. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions to share one way or the other.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Myeh, BND-Peter is a lot less mature than pre-BND-Peter. Frankly, I'm about to cancel my subscription to ASM because it reads too much like an Archie comic nowadays.

Anyone here get mail subscriptions to comics versus picking them up at your local comic shop? I just bought a subscription to UCSM and UCA to try out the subscription process. I've been slowly wittling down my subscription list due to the need to save money for other things. Its about 50% cheaper to order them by mail, even with the 10% discount my local comic shop gives me. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions to share one way or the other.

I really dislike BND, but I hate this "maturity" issue.

Let's consider pre-BND Peter:

1. Has an absurd fixation on his aunt, to the point where he's literally willing to make a deal with a devil to save her despite the fact that she, personally, told him as a spirit that she wanted to die
    2. Despite having saved countless lives, he still obsesses over the guilt of not saving his uncle.
    3. Has flitted between jobs, never becoming successful at any of them (except where he cheated as a photog and simply snapped crappy photos of himself).
    4. Has a wife, but one whom he has basically nothing in common with, and whom he ignores enough that it ruined their relationship at least once.
    5. Has hit his wife (yup, happened, in-continuity.)

I mean, honestly, this just STARTS the list. He was always immature. That wasn't a bad thing, and it's not a bad thing now.

The bad stuff now stems from the fact that he behaves stupidly (e.g. apparently having sex with Black Cat where, though he took his mask off, he wouldn't let her see his face).

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't think any of those things were huge issues in the couple of years or so of storylines that preceded One More Day. He'd been a science teacher for a while, hadn't he?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, when people complain about BND Peter, they generally include OMD as well

Fencingsax on