As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assistant Editor's Comic Book Questions Thread

1356767

Posts

  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Frank was also killed and revived at some point, wasn't he? I know he was some kind of demon or angel hunter for a while, complete with magical guns, and I imagine he would have had to die himself to be placed in that absurd circumstance.

    As for being an avatar of death, that's explicitly stated in Punisher Max and implied in Moon Knight.

    It's only implied to the extent that Khonshu says he belongs to someone else, because if he wasn't Khonshu drop MK in an instant.
    wwtMask wrote: »
    True, forgot that one.

    Related question: does Cornell write Blade as having a British accent?

    I don't recall. But apparently he is actually British. So ... I would expect him to.

    Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2) Norman Osborn is shown reporting to President Obama shortly after being appointed
    How in the blue fuck did Norman Osborn get to head up SHIELD?

    I mean, I basically quit reading comics for ten years after they brought him back, but that strikes me as one of the most fucked up things ever.

    Completely unrelated, were there ever any books about the other Endless from Sandman besides the two Death minseries and the Destiny three-issue?

    Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    2) Norman Osborn is shown reporting to President Obama shortly after being appointed
    How in the blue fuck did Norman Osborn get to head up SHIELD?

    I mean, I basically quit reading comics for ten years after they brought him back, but that strikes me as one of the most fucked up things ever.

    Completely unrelated, were there ever any books about the other Endless from Sandman besides the two Death minseries and the Destiny three-issue?

    He killed the Skrull Queen.

    And he marketed The Thunderbolts in such a way as to make him a logical choice to head up SHIELD, which had just failed spectacularly to stop an alien invasion.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    2) Norman Osborn is shown reporting to President Obama shortly after being appointed
    How in the blue fuck did Norman Osborn get to head up SHIELD?

    I mean, I basically quit reading comics for ten years after they brought him back, but that strikes me as one of the most fucked up things ever.

    Completely unrelated, were there ever any books about the other Endless from Sandman besides the two Death minseries and the Destiny three-issue?

    He killed the Skrull Queen.

    And he marketed The Thunderbolts in such a way as to make him a logical choice to head up SHIELD, which had just failed spectacularly to stop an alien invasion.

    Still

    Norman Fucking Osborn

    Not exactly the most stable of individuals. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him choosing where to eat lunch, let alone controlling a half-dozen helicarriers and stuff. But whatever, there's a reason why 616 is effectively dead to me.

    Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    2) Norman Osborn is shown reporting to President Obama shortly after being appointed
    How in the blue fuck did Norman Osborn get to head up SHIELD?

    I mean, I basically quit reading comics for ten years after they brought him back, but that strikes me as one of the most fucked up things ever.

    Completely unrelated, were there ever any books about the other Endless from Sandman besides the two Death minseries and the Destiny three-issue?

    He killed the Skrull Queen.

    And he marketed The Thunderbolts in such a way as to make him a logical choice to head up SHIELD, which had just failed spectacularly to stop an alien invasion.

    Still

    Norman Fucking Osborn

    Not exactly the most stable of individuals. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him choosing where to eat lunch, let alone controlling a half-dozen helicarriers and stuff. But whatever, there's a reason why 616 is effectively dead to me.

    Oh, I agree. I mean, in terms of the Marvel time-line, he went from Jail, to the Thunderbolts, to SHIELD in like, a year.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know, I kind of wish Norman could lose his position of power the way a lot of politicians do now-a-days.

    Infidelity.

    Too bad his wife's dead. (I think?)

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    You know, I kind of wish Norman could lose his position of power the way a lot of politicians do now-a-days.

    Infidelity.

    Too bad his wife's dead. (I think?)
    Does fucking his son's fiancee count?

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Norman is too slick for infidelity

    The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You'd never be able to prove it was Norman anyway, cuz he does it with the mask on.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    You know, I kind of wish Norman could lose his position of power the way a lot of politicians do now-a-days.

    Infidelity.

    Too bad his wife's dead. (I think?)
    Does fucking his son's fiancee count?

    So stupid.
    I saw a scan of a vat with a guy in it that said G Stacy, referencing all that Sin's Past bullshit too.

    Just saying it because I have to, but you hit the reset button on Spider-Man, and then pull out stupid shit, it just doesn't make sense.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone know about the Gaiman stuff I asked about, as well?

    Salvation122 on
  • Options
    BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Faynor wrote: »
    You know, I kind of wish Norman could lose his position of power the way a lot of politicians do now-a-days.

    Infidelity.

    Too bad his wife's dead. (I think?)
    Does fucking his son's fiancee count?

    So stupid.
    I saw a scan of a vat with a guy in it that said G Stacy, referencing all that Sin's Past bullshit too.

    Just saying it because I have to, but you hit the reset button on Spider-Man, and then pull out stupid shit, it just doesn't make sense.

    No kidding, one of the best things that could have come out of OMD would be retconning Sins Past out of existence. Figures they'd mess that up.

    BostonGangler on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Has Matt Fraction's Punisher War Journal been collected in trades? What about those Thor issues he did that people raved about?
    Has anyone read his stuff before he became famous? The things he wrote before Casanova.

    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Thor issues were collected, but I can't remember the name of the trade.

    I've got Five Fists of Science lying around somewhere but haven't actually red it yet.

    Wildcat on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Five Fists of Science is good.

    The Annotated Mantooth is really good.

    Delduwath on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Annotated Mantooth is, in my opinion, the best thing Matt Fraction has ever written

    The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Posterity will know Utopia as the best thing Fraction has every written.

    Because Ares is the best.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there a place i can check to see how how many issues an arc is in a book? I'm reading Agents of Atlas and Secret Warriors which i'm enjoying, but i'm thinking of trade waiting on them going forward but i don't want to drop them off my pull list until after the arc is over that's currently running.

    H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Has Matt Fraction's Punisher War Journal been collected in trades? What about those Thor issues he did that people raved about?
    Has anyone read his stuff before he became famous? The things he wrote before Casanova.

    Fraction wrote Thor? I need to read that. Anybody know what issues they were?

    Hensler on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Has Matt Fraction's Punisher War Journal been collected in trades? What about those Thor issues he did that people raved about?
    Has anyone read his stuff before he became famous? The things he wrote before Casanova.

    Fraction wrote Thor? I need to read that. Anybody know what issues they were?
    Three one-shots.

    Wildcat on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    Has Matt Fraction's Punisher War Journal been collected in trades? What about those Thor issues he did that people raved about?
    Has anyone read his stuff before he became famous? The things he wrote before Casanova.

    Fraction wrote Thor? I need to read that. Anybody know what issues they were?
    Three one-shots.

    It looks like it has been traded!
    The Annotated Mantooth is, in my opinion, the best thing Matt Fraction has ever written
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Five Fists of Science is good.

    The Annotated Mantooth is really good.

    Cool. I will have to add this stuff to The List. Along with both trades of Casanova.

    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    Has Matt Fraction's Punisher War Journal been collected in trades? What about those Thor issues he did that people raved about?
    Has anyone read his stuff before he became famous? The things he wrote before Casanova.

    Fraction wrote Thor? I need to read that. Anybody know what issues they were?
    Three one-shots.

    It looks like it has been traded!
    The Annotated Mantooth is, in my opinion, the best thing Matt Fraction has ever written
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Five Fists of Science is good.

    The Annotated Mantooth is really good.

    Cool. I will have to add this stuff to The List. Along with both trades of Casanova.

    first thing i ever read of his was last of the independents, which is a really pretty terrific little crime comic. imagine a parker story set when parker is in his late 50s and you kind of get the idea.

    Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fraction also wrote the Secret Invasion Thor mini

    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wow, thanks guys! All of that stuff looks good.

    DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    Has Matt Fraction's Punisher War Journal been collected in trades? What about those Thor issues he did that people raved about?
    Has anyone read his stuff before he became famous? The things he wrote before Casanova.

    Fraction wrote Thor? I need to read that. Anybody know what issues they were?
    Three one-shots.

    It looks like it has been traded!

    .

    Ordered! Thank you.

    Hensler on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What are some good Marvel supernatural stories? Most of my supernatural comics are from Vertigo. As far as Marvel goes, I've read the recent Strange issues of New Avengers, Captain Britain and MI:13, Dr. Strange: The Oath and everything Ghost Rider related, but that's about it. I'm especially intersted in Damien Hellstorm/Hellstrom, Dr. Strange, and Brother/Dr. Voodoo, but anything else that ties into the supernatural world of Marvel is good, too.

    Hensler on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    What are some good Marvel supernatural stories? Most of my supernatural comics are from Vertigo. As far as Marvel goes, I've read the recent Strange issues of New Avengers, Captain Britain and MI:13, Dr. Strange: The Oath and everything Ghost Rider related, but that's about it. I'm especially intersted in Damien Hellstorm/Hellstrom, Dr. Strange, and Brother/Dr. Voodoo, but anything else that ties into the supernatural world of Marvel is good, too.

    A few of the early Daredevil arcs from the 1998 relaunch have a bit of supernatural to them. If you haven't read "Guardian Devil" its a supernatural story. Dr. Strange plays a small part. Oh, and its just plain awesome. Its one of Kevin Smith's better comic runs.

    Also, the Daredevil arc titled "Decalogue" which ran from like issue 70-76 or so was another supernatural story. It was pretty creepy actually. This is a Bendis story, and Bendis' entire DD run is pretty legendary.

    Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There was the Pete Wisdom MAX series by Paul Cornell that was actually the set up to MI-13 series and was very magic heavy (British magic) and was very good. There's a trade out of it.

    If you go through the back issue bins, as I don't think they put these in trades, the Ann Nocenti/ John Romita Jr. issues had a fair amount dedicated to Blackheart and Mephisto, around the time of the Inferno event (which is another good trade to get regarding magic).

    There should be a trade of the Nightcrawler mini series by Roberto Sacassa and Darrick Robertson out there too, it's supernatural.

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    What are some good Marvel supernatural stories? Most of my supernatural comics are from Vertigo. As far as Marvel goes, I've read the recent Strange issues of New Avengers, Captain Britain and MI:13, Dr. Strange: The Oath and everything Ghost Rider related, but that's about it. I'm especially intersted in Damien Hellstorm/Hellstrom, Dr. Strange, and Brother/Dr. Voodoo, but anything else that ties into the supernatural world of Marvel is good, too.

    A few of the early Daredevil arcs from the 1998 relaunch have a bit of supernatural to them. If you haven't read "Guardian Devil" its a supernatural story. Dr. Strange plays a small part. Oh, and its just plain awesome. Its one of Kevin Smith's better comic runs.

    Also, the Daredevil arc titled "Decalogue" which ran from like issue 70-76 or so was another supernatural story. It was pretty creepy actually. This is a Bendis story, and Bendis' entire DD run is pretty legendary.

    How long has it been since you read Guardian Devil.

    Cause, uh.
    mysterio.jpg

    Jason Aaron's current Ghost Rider run is excellent though.

    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know if it was any good, but Mystic Arcana was a mini about magic in the Marvel Universe that was released a couple years ago.

    The New X-Men also went to hell and fought Belasco for an arc, which might be in trade.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    What are some good Marvel supernatural stories? Most of my supernatural comics are from Vertigo. As far as Marvel goes, I've read the recent Strange issues of New Avengers, Captain Britain and MI:13, Dr. Strange: The Oath and everything Ghost Rider related, but that's about it. I'm especially intersted in Damien Hellstorm/Hellstrom, Dr. Strange, and Brother/Dr. Voodoo, but anything else that ties into the supernatural world of Marvel is good, too.

    A few of the early Daredevil arcs from the 1998 relaunch have a bit of supernatural to them. If you haven't read "Guardian Devil" its a supernatural story. Dr. Strange plays a small part. Oh, and its just plain awesome. Its one of Kevin Smith's better comic runs.

    Also, the Daredevil arc titled "Decalogue" which ran from like issue 70-76 or so was another supernatural story. It was pretty creepy actually. This is a Bendis story, and Bendis' entire DD run is pretty legendary.

    How long has it been since you read Guardian Devil.

    Cause, uh.
    mysterio.jpg

    Jason Aaron's current Ghost Rider run is excellent though.

    Oh, I know. But don't forget . . .
    Dr. Strange conjurs up Mephisto. They have a chat. Some crazy magic stuff happens. Matt thinks the baby is the child of the devil. All that.

    Lucascraft on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    What are some good Marvel supernatural stories? Most of my supernatural comics are from Vertigo. As far as Marvel goes, I've read the recent Strange issues of New Avengers, Captain Britain and MI:13, Dr. Strange: The Oath and everything Ghost Rider related, but that's about it. I'm especially intersted in Damien Hellstorm/Hellstrom, Dr. Strange, and Brother/Dr. Voodoo, but anything else that ties into the supernatural world of Marvel is good, too.

    I've heard Hellstorm is pretty good, though I've never read it. The still-ongoing Marvel Zombies 4 is pretty awesome, prominently featuring Hellstrom, Morbius, Werewolf by Night, Jennifer Kale, and a host of other supernatural Marvel characters.

    The MAX line is really the place to go for supernatural stories, with books like Werewolf by Night, Simon Garth: Zombie, and Terror Inc. making up a large portion of the imprint.

    Munch on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mystic Arcana was great if you want magic because that's all it was. None of this overarching Marvel U shit. No references to really anything in the Marvel U except magic. Morgana didn't even mention Dr. Doom once IIRC.

    Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah, X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl is actually as much about Doctor Strange as Dead Girl. In it, the two venture into the afterlife to stop a group of dead heroes and villains from permanently resurrecting themselves and wreaking havoc on the living world. It has a battle between Dr. Strange and The Ancient One and features a pretty amusing depiction of the afterlife as well.

    It helps to have read X-Force/X-Statix beforehand, but it isn't really required.

    Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »

    I've heard Hellstorm is pretty good, though I've never read it. The still-ongoing Marvel Zombies 4 is pretty awesome, prominently featuring Hellstrom, Morbius, Werewolf by Night, Jennifer Kale, and a host of other supernatural Marvel characters.

    I missed the whole Marvel Zombies craze, and tried reading Volume 3 but wasn't impressed. But what you just described sounds great. Putting it on my pull list :).

    Hensler on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, I'm reading old Silver Surfer stuff. Why is Thanos a total butt-kicker, powerhouse, and super-duper-being while Star Fox only has rape powers? I mean... wow.

    sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I believe he used his evil brain and enhanced his abilities using artificial means. Eros is also really strong and can fly, so it's not just about the date rape. Thanos just took that further through science/magic... although come to think of it I don't believe I've ever seen him fly.

    Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    I believe he used his evil brain and enhanced his abilities using artificial means. Eros is also really strong and can fly, so it's not just about the date rape. Thanos just took that further through science/magic... although come to think of it I don't believe I've ever seen him fly.

    Thanos doesn't need to fly. He just walks outside and puts his hands on his hips, and whatever he's standing on knows better than to not go where Thanos wants to go.

    143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know why, but while I couldn't sleep last night one of the many thoughts and questions running through my head included this: If they have used backup artists for damn never every major event since CoIE, and they just had Mahnke do FC #7 to get it out on Jan. 31, and because they have Butch Guice on standby to make sure Reborn comes out on time...

    Why in the everliving fuck did they not do this for Ultimatum?

    Crimsondude on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone know what the status of The Goon is? The last issue came out months ago. The ninth trade collects up to issue 31 but 32 was the last issue to come out, plus the Dethklok issue coming out in July. Is Powell taking a hiatus?

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.