As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assistant Editor's Comic Book Questions Thread

• Options
    In Starscream We TrustIn Starscream We Trust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are there any trades of the post Sinestro Corps war stuff for GL and GLC?

In Starscream We Trust on
    tf2_sig.png
    9dominations-1.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Apparently the Ring Quest trade for GLC has that book's epilogue issue for Sinestro Corps war in it. Ring Quest is very good as a follow up arc to the war, so it's worth reading.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the status of The Goon is? The last issue came out months ago. The ninth trade collects up to issue 31 but 32 was the last issue to come out, plus the Dethklok issue coming out in July. Is Powell taking a hiatus?

http://www.thegoon.com/index.php - Deathlok vs the Goon comes out in a couple of weeks.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Zones/Goon - Mentions a new Goon oneshot coming out in the fall.

Hensler on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Apparently the Ring Quest trade for GLC has that book's epilogue issue for Sinestro Corps war in it. Ring Quest is very good as a follow up arc to the war, so it's worth reading.

It also features one of the greatest Green Lanterns ever. Bzzd.

bzzd.jpg

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Question: Anybody got a list of Morlun's appearances? I know he showed up early after Amazing Spider-Man was relaunched for a few issues with Ezekial. And I hear he was the Big Bad for The Other, but I haven't read that yet. And I know where he's currently appearing in the 616. Has he been in any other arcs?

Hensler on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Someone brought Morlun back?

good lord why.

As far as I know his only appearances were those JMS Spider-Man stories about him.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Someone brought Morlun back?

good lord why.

As far as I know his only appearances were those JMS Spider-Man stories about him.
    He's been in Black Panther recently. He doesn't just eat Spider Totems, he also eats... Panther Totems. And Manape Totems.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well thats a more fitting opponent for him than Spider-Man at least.

a little bit

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Jesus Christ why would anyone bring him back

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I take it Morlun can't die? He died at the end of JMS first arc then he died at the end of the Other. He's like Solomun Grundy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I take it Morlun can't die? He died at the end of JMS first arc then he died at the end of the Other. He's like Solomun Grundy.

He was resurrected by... evil African magic this time.
    But the story has actually been sort of good, which is why I was looking for other Morlun appearances, to see when he stopped being a tool :).

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    He didn't

I'm pretty sure the arc with Ezekiel and The Other are his only appearances

Me Too! on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I think it's mentioned somewhere in one of those arcs that he's an unstoppable force, which I guess assumes he's immortal.

I sometimes wonder what Spider-Man would have been like if there had been some down time between The Other and Civil War. There was never any time to explore the implications... of course, by that time Spider-Man could command insects, shoot poison stingers out of his arms, and do whatever the heck he did to Morlun at the end of the Other... so he was getting a little bit far from his roots, so to speak.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is the forthcoming "JLA: Cry For Justice" a limited feature or is it going to be a part of the regular JLA monthly? Also, what is becoming of the JLA monthly if they are splitting the team?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's a six issue limited series that is supposed to be Hal creating a Justice League that will hunt down those responsible for the death of the Martian Manhunter.

It was originally supposed to be a monthly and come out around the first half of Final Crisis (actually towards the end of it but, you know, delays), but was delayed because of the artist.

As for the regular JLA book, Len Wein is writing it for a few months until Robinson and Bagley take over the book as the new permanent creative team.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's a six issue limited series that is supposed to be Hal creating a Justice League that will hunt down those responsible for the death of the Martian Manhunter.

It was originally supposed to be a monthly and come out around the first half of Final Crisis (actually towards the end of it but, you know, delays), but was delayed because of the artist.

As for the regular JLA book, Len Wein is writing it for a few months until Robinson and Bagley take over the book as the new permanent creative team.

Ahh thanks for the reply. 2 follow-up questions:

I haven't read anything by Wein. Is he any good?

And what is Dwayne McDuffie gonna be doing? I respect him a lot as a writer and for all the stuff he's had to put up with during his run on JLA and I'd like to continue to support him. Hopefully they give him a project where he has quite a bit more creative control.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    He's supposed to do a book featuring all the Milestone characters next.

I imagine he'll have a lot more control over that, but who knows.

Munch on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't mind Morlun, but the fact that there was absolutely no explanation for his rise from the dead for the Other really irked me.

Based on how Spidey fared against him though, Black Panther shouldn't have a chance though... so I've no idea how that works.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Actually, Black Panther is comatose and it's Lady Black Panther who's stuck fighting Morlun.

And I think the idea of Spider-Man's powers coming from magic or whatever would have fared a bit better in a What If...

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the spider-totem business is thankfully all behind us now

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Munch wrote: »

It's pretty sad that that's something we have to cross our fingers and hope for, considering he created them.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Munch wrote: »

DiDio will realize he's 100X the author that McDuffie is and perform massive edits. After seeing McDuffie's original scripts, the public will STRONGLY disagree.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've just been re-reading the 'Best of Spider-Man' collections from that era and, dang it all, I really liked what was going on there. I know I'm in the minority, but still.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm with you there, WC. I really enjoyed that stuff. I found that I liked it a lot more the first time around when I was like 15, 16, and 17 than I did rereading it this past Christmas, but I still totally dig it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I've just been re-reading the 'Best of Spider-Man' collections from that era and, dang it all, I really liked what was going on there. I know I'm in the minority, but still.

That's how I felt about the Clone Saga. And they are bringing that back, which I'm very exicted for. I'm sure Marvel will get around to reversing OMD in a few years and bringing back the Totem/Other stuff.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I liked the totem stuff as well, especially as laid out in JMS' first arc. By the time the Other hit, it got a bit muddied for the sake of trying to make it a big Spider-Man event.

What spoiled it for me was the book of Ezekiel stuff, where it was all about the purity of the spider or something and he had to kill Peter to take his spider. Ezekiel could have been this new father/uncle figure to Peter (he was almost a beta Tony Stark in that sense), who could relate to Peter but also have him realize you can use your powers to better your life.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't see how Marvel will have the financial incentive to reverse the current status quo in the Spidey books. As for Morlun, he's been all right so far in BP but hasn't done much beyond shrugging off Wakandan bombs and punching through a dude's chest. Somehow I feel that Shuri will be able to fend him off at least long enough for Storm to show up.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yes, reading the Ezekiel appearances one after the other in trade makes it an especially jarring face heel turn. I especially liked that not only did he make Peter realise a few things, Peter also hit him with a few home truths.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I don't see how Marvel will have the financial incentive to reverse the current status quo in the Spidey books. As for Morlun, he's been all right so far in BP but hasn't done much beyond shrugging off Wakandan bombs and punching through a dude's chest. Somehow I feel that Shuri will be able to fend him off at least long enough for Storm to show up.

Is Storm going to be the new Black Panther, then?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And I think the idea of Spider-Man's powers coming from magic or whatever would have fared a bit better in a What If...

Spider-Man Noir.

That was actually a really cool book. Also, the pulp text story at the end of X-Men Noir. The actual X-Men story sucked ass. It was just a bunch of muddled shit over what should have been a cool story (that the text story ended up telling better).

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah holy fuck I still don't know what happened in X-Men Noir

I'm looking forward to Punisher Noir though

Sure it'll be the same basic story but I don't really care, the period piece will be nice

Me Too! on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love how they weaved all of the classic X-Men elements into the text story. That would have been an awesome comic.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Think I'll have to go back and read that now

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I couldn't get into Spider-Man Noir or X-Men Noir, but I am loving the hell out of Daredevil Noir.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What is Dave Gibbons doing these days?

I've been going back through my old GLC issues and reading from start up to present. I really like his artwork on some of the earlier issues. Don't get me wrong, Patrick Gleason does a good job too. But I like Gibbons' stuff also.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    He was writing GLC for awhile but I don't think he's working on anything comics related at the moment.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Wikipedia says he's doing covers for Dr. Who reprints for IDW.

He has a timeless quality to his work, like Ordway. Just a straight up solid artist. Why they didn't get him to draw the Question backups for Detective Comics as a nice nod and tip of the hat, I'll never know.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    He hasn't been on GLC since the Sinestro War. Its basically been just Gleason for like 2 years. Most of the time I like Gleason's art, but sometimes, like the last issue, the way he draws faces with the goofy grins sort of bothers me. I like the art in the older GLC books better than the more recent ones.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Young Justice and Impulse. Worth buying the series if each is under $100?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Impulse shit yeah

Shit. Yeah.

Me Too! on