As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assistant Editor's Comic Book Questions Thread

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Anyone have pictures of Doom and Madame Masque with their masks off?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

2938_press01-001.jpg

Hensler on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Doom and Madame Masque should have a kid.

Why can't Doom fix his face with all the magic he has?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    He fixed his face briefly when he had The Beyonder's powers in the first Secret Wars.

But I rather like the idea that he'd choose to keep the scars.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    i still prefer jack kirby's interpretation- the explosion caused only a tiny scar on his cheek, but this single imperfection was too much for his vanity to bear and to hide it he forever locks himself away behind the mask.

edit- also, bale! awesome.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Masque:

wfrostbio.jpg

krissylmini.jpg

The first picture is her as Whitney Frost, the second is her as Krissy Longfellow, the identity that she took on as Tony Stark's secretary. To be honest, I never knew her backstory until just now when I looked it up, and it's confusing me. The second picture, at least, is supposed to be post-scarring, yeah? so... where's the scars? I'm confused.

Probably some comic-book explanation to all of this, but I just didn't read Iron Man that far back, so I missed out. Curiosity's piqued, though.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    i still prefer jack kirby's interpretation- the explosion caused only a tiny scar on his cheek, but this single imperfection was too much for his vanity to bear and to hide it he forever locks himself away behind the mask.

I don't really like the idea of him putting on a white-hot iron mask before it had a chance to cool, though. That just seems needlessly self-destructive.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What was the name of the mini-series were Doom came back from Hell and beat the shit of that lion? I want to read that again. Was it just called Doom?

Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I believe it was called Doom. It was written by Chuck Dixon if that helps narrow it down.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is that any good, or is Doom beating up a lion the highlight?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Never read it, but from what was posted on S_D it was rather good. It was Doom being placed on the Heroes Reborn Earth after some FF battle during Claremont's run, and having to survive in Sahara. Dixon had a good handle on Doom, making him more than some evil genius but also having some Batman-like qualities, being able to survive using what is at his disposal and take over the HR Earth.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    I think it's probably more accurate to say Batman has Doom-like qualities. Mainly because when I hear "batman-like qualities" used as a positive I want to punch somebody. No offense!

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I was going more in the regard that Dixon wrote Batman for 15 years and just carried over some traits to give to Doom.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think it's probably more accurate to say Batman has Doom-like qualities. Mainly because when I hear "batman-like qualities" used as a positive I want to punch somebody. No offense!

Good thing you have a Batman-like capacity for restraint, or else we'd be in real physical trouble.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is that any good, or is Doom beating up a lion the highlight?

I enjoyed it, lots of good badass moments from Doom.

Hensler on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Servo wrote: »

but then he put on the mask when it was still hot from the forge, giving him horrific scars.
    I remember from one of the essential fantastic four volumes he was surprised at how much worse his face had gotten.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    White hot metal < Neosporin

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Are there any current/recent books similar to Wolfman's 80s Vigilante series or O'Neil's Question series?

I'm really loving the idea of a vigilante who literally can't win no matter what he does, and has to constantly battle doubt in his purpose as well as constant crime.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Are there any current/recent books similar to Wolfman's 80s Vigilante series or O'Neil's Question series?

I'm really loving the idea of a vigilante who literally can't win no matter what he does, and has to constantly battle doubt in his purpose as well as constant crime.

Sleeper is kind of like this in tone. Different premise, but alike in many ways.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Is the Mr. Miracle series from the 80's any good? S_D has an issue up now that is just fun, like JLE-mini (Dematteis co-wrote it)

I mean, this is just a good scene:
    miracle0011.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What are a couple of good websites for ordering current and recent floppies from?

And how much can I expect to pay in shipping per issue?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What are a couple of good websites for ordering current and recent floppies from?

People will say mile high comics, but I found them to be over priced compared to mycomicshop.com

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like HeavyInk. The discount is 20%, standard shipping is $.99 per order, and they've really improved their website so that the experience is very easy.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Here's a question, do you guys make a SD Comic-con thread each year? Is someone gonna? I would, but I suck at the OP creation thing.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited July 2009

People will say mile high comics, but I found them to be over priced compared to mycomicshop.com

Excellent, they were the only place to have the backissue of GLC I was looking for, and the shipping wasn't too bad after the discounts to the book.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i used milehighcomics for awhile but i very much prefer mycomicshop now

the place rules and has nearly everything

Rans on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    On free comic book day, they released a pretty indepth retelling of wolverine's history in chronological order which was pretty enjoyable. But one thing that's been nagging me is i remember a few years back, an arc of wolverine's that was about him and sabretooth being ancient ancestors or some rubbish. Evidence being something about an elephant graveyard in wakanda.

can anyone explain to me what happened with that?

delphinus on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Everybody facepalmed and I think it has been ignored for a bit, though that Romulus chap has popped up now and then.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Have you ever read the Earth X series? Sabretooth and Wolverine are posited to be members of two warring tribes of primitives in Paradise X, I think.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    delphinus wrote: »
    On free comic book day, they released a pretty indepth retelling of wolverine's history in chronological order which was pretty enjoyable. But one thing that's been nagging me is i remember a few years back, an arc of wolverine's that was about him and sabretooth being ancient ancestors or some rubbish. Evidence being something about an elephant graveyard in wakanda.

The storyline was never really finished after Greg Rucka's run on Wolverine. The Native got killed, but Romulus is still the big bad in Wolverine's life, so they'll probably return to it at some point.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

The storyline was never really finished after Greg Rucka's run on Wolverine. The Native got killed, but Romulus is still the big bad in Wolverine's life, so they'll probably return to it at some point.

I would be very surprised if anyone ever revisited this storyline.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quesada has said in an interview that Loeb is going to come back to Wolverine to finish the Romulus story somewhere down the line.

Now, this was said about halfway through that awful arc, so maybe when he saw the reaction to that terrible last issue he decided to let Jason Aaron fix it. Or maybe Mike Carey. Or just ignore it all. But it seems Way is going to do something with Romulus as well.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Indeed. From Sept's solicits.
    WOLVERINE ORIGINS #40
    Written by DANIEL WAY
    Penciled by SCOT EATON
    Cover by DOUG BRAITHWAITE
    Variant Cover by SIMONE BIANCHI
    “ROMULUS”
    Marvel history is made as, finally, Wolverine comes face to face with Romulus, the ancient being who has controlled his fate since birth. It all comes down to this! Part 4 (of 4)

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hmm... that was the arc where all the "cat like" X-Men went kind of crazy right? Like Wildchild and Wolfsbane?

I think that's when I stopped collecting Origins. What is Romulus supposed to be? Besides one of the founders of Rome.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I see that Bart and Superboy are rejoining a certain team again. My question: Superboy died fighting the other Superboy that punched the universe! How did he come back?

Feel free to sum it up. If it was awful go ahead and just say "awful." If it wasn't, please add a smidge of detail. Thanks in advance.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hensler wrote: »

can anyone explain where they were trying to go with this?
    were they trying to make wolvie like ancient or something? warring factions etc.

and who is "The Native?"

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I see that Bart and Superboy are rejoining a certain team again. My question: Superboy died fighting the other Superboy that punched the universe! How did he come back?

Feel free to sum it up. If it was awful go ahead and just say "awful." If it wasn't, please add a smidge of detail. Thanks in advance.

Something something Legion of Super Heroes something something Multiverse something something hypertime. George Perez. Delays. Adventure Comics.

It's all in Legion of Three Worlds by Geoff Johns and Perez, which is supposed to be orgasmic for people who love silver-age cosmic crossovers. It's a big, crisis-level event to sort out the Legion's twisted continuity. And it's still not done; there's one issue left, supposed to come out some time next month. And then the hard cover will be out in October. Allegedly, it's all leading to a new Legion with Kon-El as chair.

I have no attachment to Conner or Bart, but I'm still interested in reading it at some point.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Something something Legion of Super Heroes something something Multiverse something something hypertime. George Perez. Delays. Adventure Comics.

It's all in Legion of Three Worlds by Geoff Johns and Perez, which is supposed to be orgasmic for people who love silver-age cosmic crossovers. It's a big, crisis-level event to sort out the Legion's twisted continuity. And it's still not done; there's one issue left, supposed to come out some time next month. And then the hard cover will be out in October. Allegedly, it's all leading to a new Legion with Kon-El as chair.

I have no attachment to Conner or Bart, but I'm still interested in reading it at some point.

I thought the idea was that
    Dead Kon-El + Superman's post-Doomsday rejuv chamber + lots of years (Kon-El's impure Krypto-DNA lengthens the process) = Rejuved Conner.

Someone correct that if I'm wrong.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    143999 wrote: »

I thought the idea was that
    Dead Kon-El + Superman's post-Doomsday rejuv chamber + lots of years (Kon-El's impure Krypto-DNA lengthens the process) = Rejuved Conner.

Someone correct that if I'm wrong.

I think it's a mix of both. There's most definitely some Legion super-science in there somewhere; it's what they do.

Although, to be honest, I haven't actually read it, and I haven't seen it discussed much on this board at all.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The Legion also came back in time to get one of Luthor's hairs to use for the rejuv too, since his non-Superman DNA is from Lex. Which I guess means Lex is not bald everywhere.

Hensler on