As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lars Von Trier's Antichrist to get game adaptation?

PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp?Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
I just double checked my calendar no it's definitely not April 1st

Lars von Trier's Antichrist which premiered at last month's Cannes festival drew lots of controversy for featuring explicit scenes of not very nice things happening to people's lower regions is allegedly getting a game adaptation titled Eden being made by Zentropa Eden Games with development being headed by former Hitman writer Morten Iversen

Sources including Destuctoid, Eurogamer and New York Magazine are reporting this so it looks like it is genuinely real

MTV's Multiplayer blog has an interview with Iversen and here are some choice quotes
“[The movie] goes against all the conventions of how you make games and what you can do in games. Dead kids, nudity, graphic violence. It will be a very controversial game, and it’ll be a game that doesn’t really compare with anything else.”

“Eden” is actually planned as a download-only game, which Iverson hopes to get on services like Xbox Live and Steam. In style, he describes it as a “nightmarish version of Myst.”

There are some very unique gameplay concepts at work, though. When you queue up the game, players will have to upload a profile, describing what their biggest phobias are. For example, are you afraid of spiders, loud noises or the dark? Based on that profile, certain themes will be loaded into the game to challenge you on those phobias.

Full interview available here

No amount of confused emoticons in the world can do this news justice

teddiepicture-1.jpg
XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
PurpleMonkey on

• Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Assuming it gets made, it's going to be hyped as redefining the way we play/see games etc. etc. but really just end up being about as engaging as a twenty-minute browser game. Also, I despise Von Trier, so...

Ed321 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's actually a cool concept, though I doubt Zentropa games do anything worthwhile with it.

... maybe I should apply.

The thing about the movie is that it isn't really as much of a horror film as it appears to be. But I guess the game wouldn't actually have anything to do with the plot of the movie, so I'd be pretty stoked to be running around in a forest with such a high creep factor.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The stuff about it being a nightmare version of Myst and the stuff about it playing to phobias where one article which I annoyingly can't find the link to says it would do things like bring in real news headlines to do with those phobias make the game actually sound vaguely interesting

However descriptions of the controversial scenes in the film that I've read and my opinion of von Trier's previous films makes me want to avoid the game like the plague

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I sincerely doubt the game will have explicit scenes like that. There's no way they'd ever get away with it outside of Denmark, especially if they ever hope to put it on downloadable platforms.

Edit:

Interestingly enough, while people in Cannes were outraged, and demanded that Trier apologized for making the film, the response in Denmark was, overwhelmingly, "It wasn't THAT bad"

And it wasn't. When it ended, the first comment I heard was "That was IT?". I thought it was a pretty good movie, if overly drawn out and reliant on shock value. It has some of the best photography I've ever seen in a film, though; some of those forest shots are chilling as all hell.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The movie does look great, yeah. Best looking black and white shot of a pair of testicles swinging in slow motion you'll ever see.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This looks like it could be pretty cool, but I'll wait until there's more to go on. I don't understand the Von Trier hate. Riget is pretty cool and the movies I've seen of his were all interesting at least. He's definitely not one of the worst directors I know of.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At least we know he can dance..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYMTH9gfxps

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!