As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Morning Glories for .99 cents. Anyone reading it? I remember hearing it had a strong first issue, but that as the story's gone on, it's sort of petered out a bit.
    @Moriveth wanted to talk about morning glories

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Morning Glories' first five issues were great, seriously, some of the better kids being kids stuck in a weird situation.

Then #6 hit, and it got up it's own butt with everyone calling it the LOST of comics and it tried to be too clever. Then Spencer decided to make one of the characters in #7 have the usual damaged girl origins, and I quit reading with #8.

edit: with #8 it started to feel like the redhead Canadian kid was Spencer writing himself into the story. I just got a Terry Long vibe from him.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Morning Glories for .99 cents.

On top of this, The Strange Talent of Luther Strode, Gladstone's School for World Conquerors, and All Nighter are on sale, and well worth your $.99 per issue.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    yeah I snagged Luther Strode in the 1 volume format. I just read the whole thing at once. That was fantastic.
    and now I read the next series, Legend of Luther Strode starts in December?! HOT DAMN.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    Morning Glories for .99 cents.

On top of this, The Strange Talent of Luther Strode, Gladstone's School for World Conquerors, and All Nighter are on sale, and well worth your $.99 per issue.

I was going to ask about these! Thanks for the advice

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Whedon's run of Runaways should be skipped, correct?

Wish they'd put volume 1 on sale too since I'm new to the series. Ah well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You don't need to read anything after BKV's original run, basically.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Whedon's arc is fine, it's neither essential nor terrible.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Whedon's run of Runaways should be skipped, correct?

Wish they'd put volume 1 on sale too since I'm new to the series. Ah well.

Yeah, I don't know how much important background info I'll be missing.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I'd read Moore's, but would skip Immonen

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Marvel Tuesdays:

Fantastic Four #583
    Ultimate Comics Captain America #1
    X-Force #1

Back catalog got some civil war/back in black-era Amazing Spidey issues, Black Panther, Heralds, and a few other things.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Marvel has a 99¢ Friday sale on X-Men: Second Coming issues. I think about 14 issues from various titles.

Edit: also there's a 3 day sale on The Sixth Gun series.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    Second Coming is pretty great

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Legends, the old DC event, is also on sale.

I'd like to read that. Anyone know which of the bajillion crossover/tie-in issues are worth checking out for it?

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Why is FF issues 6-11 not on Comixology? I'm wanting to get everything of Hickman's run I can, dammit!

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Brubaker Daredevil sale for Marvel Monday. Possibly good stuff.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Possibly dumb question: how are you seeing Marvel Monday already?

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

Possibly dumb question: how are you seeing Marvel Monday already?

Sales page on the ComiXology website tends to update with new sale items any time after 10pm ET, but usually closer to 10:30pm. Handy for those sales you're on the fence about since you can judge whether the next day's sale(s) are of interest before the previous one ends.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I can see it now, couldn't when I asked that though.

• Options
    It's not as good as the Bendis run, but Bru's DD is pretty good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Are the individual arcs fairly well self-contained?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The best Brubaker Arc is The Devil in Cell Block D

Matt Murdock gets sent to prison, at the same time Wilson Fisk is in.

Then Punisher reads about and decides to get in on the fun and lets himself get arrested.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I like the Dakota North one the best

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Crap, I forgot I'd been wanting to check out Powers. This could be a very expensive reminder.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This week's free Marvel comics are:

Silver Surfer #34, by Jim Starlin and Ron Lim. Part one of The Rebirth of Thanos.
    Siege #1, by Brian Michael Bendis and Oliver Coipel.
    Namor: The First Mutant #1, by Stuart Moore and Ariel Olivetti.

• Options
    wtf, a Thanos sale and no Infinity Gauntlet? That's been at the top of my list since they added it. Perfect opportunity to put it on sale, and they don't. Dicks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hah, I was almost ready to buy the Thanos Imperative earlier this week, thank god I was busy with Borderlands 2 and forgot about it. Yay for half off!

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Oh damn. Why did I pick up issue #1 of Wonder Woman. Now I need all of it.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    I'm sure I'll get Thanos Imperative, but Annihilation? I don't think Imperative was a Marvel-wide event was it? So buying annihilation alone will be pretty incomplete in comparison?

• Options
    Annihilation is all kinds of awesome but yeah, what's in this Thanos sale is like a third of it.

But you'd be able to snag those parts for half off so I guess that's not bad. Who knows if/when the whole thing will be on sale.

• Options
    Septus wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll get Thanos Imperative, but Annihilation? I don't think Imperative was a Marvel-wide event was it? So buying annihilation alone will be pretty incomplete in comparison?

I think Imperative was self-contained. Looks like there was an issue of GotG and Nova that served as lead-in issues, but otherwise what's on sale is all there was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    Does Marvel / DC still have their Ipad app / digital comics subscription? Ideally I want to read all of The Ultimate Imprint all the way through. What would be the easiest / cheapest way to do this?

• Options
    Marvel does still have their unlimited digital comics subscription, but it is Flash-based, so you can only use it on a laptop or desktop. You can pay either $10 for a month or $60 for a year.

http://marvel.com/digital_comics

But, I remember reading a while ago that Marvel made a deal with Starbucks so that if someone is connected to a Starbucks' wifi, they can read all the comics in Marvel's collection for free.

I found an article about it: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/03/23/digital-marvel-comics-starbucks/

I don't know if they're still doing that or not though.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I just realized that in order to actually save any money by going digital, I stay seven months behind on my Marvel readings. Give or take, since they drop prices in waves. I stay one month behind on DC and Image.

Granted, it balances out a little bit with sales and the occasionally freebie, but I'm willing to say that doesn't quite cut it.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »

I think Imperative was self-contained. Looks like there was an issue of GotG and Nova that served as lead-in issues, but otherwise what's on sale is all there was.

The event seems smaller than I suspected, there's just the four sets of 4 comics prior to the main event? Unfortunately none of them have super appealing art, with Ronan being my favorite. I guess I'd be tempted to get Ronan and nova, based on art and character appeal, but are the important bits of the story evenly distributed between the titles?

Also I'm assuming annihilation conquest is only tenuously connected?

• Options
    Annihilation Conquest is the sequel

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    As for the Annihilation lead ins, the only essential one is Nova (and it's also by far the best one). Ronan is okay, and I plain don't like the Drax and Super Skrull ones

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I liked Super-Skrull

wasn't as good as Nova at all, but I enjoyed it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Annihilation Conquest is the sequel

Huh, it looked like a very different antagonist, and the two year delay threw me

• Options
    So comiXology finally added All-Star Batman and Robin and The Dark Knight Strikes Again. I haven't read the former, though I've read the impressions and I'm in no rush after having read TDKSA, but they shouldn't have even bothered with the latter. Whoever gets suckered into picking that up has my deepest sympathies.

Anyway, TDKR and Year One are also on sale for .99. Can't imagine there isn't anyone here that doesn't have them in some form already, but if not or you want them digitally by all means go nuts.

Age of X sale too.

steam_sig.png