As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] ITT, we saw Thetheroo become a broken husk of a man. [via School Days]

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I'm about a dozen episodes into SAC, and so far the characters are basically: Kusanagi, who is pretty boring and also in every scene; Togusa, who seems to be the token human and doesn't do fuck all, or shares his role with Batou, who's just a very large exposition machine who will sometimes draw his gun but never hit anything, and the Chief, who just gives them all things to do. There seem to be other members of the team, but they haven't done ANYTHING that makes them distinct or interesting (I know they're there because they have distinct looks, but they could easily be replaced by red shirts for all they actually do).

I don't find the style to be subdued, I find it to be about 10 minutes of almost pure exposition for every 22 minute episode. I'm guessing there's a lot lost in the translation, but holy hell was it hard to watch that Laughing Man episode where all the Major did was sit around in a chat room.

I watched about half of Now and Then, Here and There, then lent the discs to my brother who promptly lost them. It was pretty decent up to that point, but I think all the hype about how evil it was dulled the overall vibe for me; I kept waiting for something REALLY bad to happen, but it was only mostly awful.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The major gets a bit more interesting in 2nd Gig, but I have no idea how someone can't like Togusa after just a few episodes.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just saw Sky Crawlers. Mindfuck extraordinary!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    QUOTE=Behemoth;10678508]
    Peas wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Spectre wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Naruto was pretty good this week, aside from...

-snip-
    Wait. They released Gaara after they got their 1 tail beast? Did I miss anything? I don't remember Gaara being rescued at all.
    You... you don't remember the Sasori fight? And Naruto and Kakashi chasing Deidara for like 20 chapters before finally fighting?

Oh. OH. Thanks. :oops:

Peas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Togusa is fine, he just isn't really a big part of the show most of the time. I mean, he's around, but he rarely does anything besides talk, though that seems to be the role everyone besides the Major gets stuck with. Kind of liking a secondary character is not really the reason I watch most shows.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Togusa is fine, he just isn't really a big part of the show most of the time. I mean, he's around, but he rarely does anything besides talk, though that seems to be the role everyone besides the Major gets stuck with. Kind of liking a secondary character is not really the reason I watch most shows.
    Really? That's the reason I watch most shows.

Oh god, Ensemble Darkhorse characters seem tailor built just for me.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    I finished the first series of Ippo and got through the Champion Road special.

WHICH WAS FUCKING TERRIBLE.

Really, I'd pretty much enjoyed the show until then, despite the incessant sob stories tacked on to every challenger (really, couldn't he just have a godamn boxing match?) and the constant comebacks. He Hogan'd he way through like 60 episodes and a dozen fights, and he was finally starting to get some actual technique down, then they throw in the anime bullshit gimmick fight. His opponent is studying to be a doctor, so obviously he's going to give Ippo a complete physical every time he lands a punch. Right.
    I really liked Ippo's first season, but I totally agree with you on Champion Road. The boxing doctor was just ridiculous.
    B:L wrote: »
    The second season has great animation. But there's those abstract sequences you hate.

Did you watch Now and Then, Here and There yet? They recently re-released the set.

Really? I suppose they were running low on ideas or something, I mean he'd already fought the fastest and the strongest and the smartest, I just had hopes that it wouldn't start to get really dumb. It's probably just as unrealistic that he'd still be up against that one new secret punch and have to train some new counter after ~15 opponents, but that doctor shit was just off the deep end.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The major gets a bit more interesting in 2nd Gig, but I have no idea how someone can't like Togusa after just a few episodes.

I can't think of many people who don't outright think he's the most likable character (not the same thing as the best or most entertaining) in the show. Then again, the rest of the cast tends to be less than friendly, which is appropriate.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MidnightSGMidnightSG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know why but i still follow the romance in this series, silly, i know. It never had a big major role in this manga but there were small (Big for a little bit) tid bits that hooked me. Sadly i am a Sakura/Sasuke and last chapter had a small little light for us in it.

I hate to be that girl who says the main female needs more spot light in the show but come on! I mean, both the guys got cool new stuff!
    Kill off Tsunade and give Katsuyu to Sakura... or, something! She just went from a headlining character to a background filler. Ugh, i forget the name for the long 200+ books but i am just done after this one... whenever it finishes.

MidnightSG on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I finally got around to finishing the Takamura vs Hawk match in the second season of Ippo.

Goddamn, that was an intense match. Without a doubt the best part of the second season, and definitely a highpoint of the series overall.

They could end the season with that and I'd be pretty satisfied.

Slicer on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MidnightSG wrote: »
    I don't know why but i still follow the romance in this series, silly, i know. It never had a big major role in this manga but there were small (Big for a little bit) tid bits that hooked me. Sadly i am a Sakura/Sasuke and last chapter had a small little light for us in it.

I hate to be that girl who says the main female needs more spot light in the show but come on! I mean, both the guys got cool new stuff!
    Kill off Tsunade and give Katsuyu to Sakura... or, something! She just went from a headlining character to a background filler. Ugh, i forget the name for the long 200+ books but i am just done after this one... whenever it finishes.

^ Naruto stuff in case anyone's wondering. Don't forget to label your spoilers!

Smasher on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One Piece
    2 Bon Clay NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This is One Piece you're talking about, remember.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This is One Piece you're talking about, remember.

True.

I still stand by my statement.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    argh, I watched all the episodes of eyeshield that were on crunchyroll. Now I have to hunt on the internet for the rest.

this show has got me pumped up for football season.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One piece
    Everyone says no one dies in this show but

Didn't Robin kill Spandam? I'm pretty sure she did. I remember it being pretty badass.

I guess he doesn't count since he's a bad guy?

NeoToma on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NeoToma wrote: »
    One piece

Didn't Robin kill Spandam? I'm pretty sure she did. I remember it being pretty badass.

Nope, Spandam lived.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NeoToma wrote: »
    One piece

Adding on to Thetheroo's post:
    Rob Lucci contacted him while he was in the hospital to let him know they [former CP9 members] are coming for him. He is plotting with his father to have them assassinated.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One Piece.

Finally got to Brooks backstory.

Even knowing most of the tale beforehand, shit was still lost.

Then it went on for two more episodes, where shit continued to lose itself.

My shit specifically. Not since Nami's backstory has shit been lost whilst watching the Piece.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One Piece 382:
    OH GOD WHY IS HE BACK?

OH GOD A LITTLE KID WITH A PROBLEM!

LOOKS LIKE I'VE ENTERED AN EVEN MORE SINISTER THEME PARK, FILLER BARK

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One Piece.

My shit specifically. Not since Nami's backstory has shit been lost whilst watching the Piece.

Brook's backstory is surprisingly touching. The best part is you can secretly pretend Oda did it to say fuck off to 4 kids and their edits.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One Piece 382:
    OH GOD WHY IS HE BACK?

It's thankfully short.

And followed by one of the best arcs in the series.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One Piece.

Brook's backstory is surprisingly touching. The best part is you can secretly pretend Oda did it to say fuck off to 4 kids and their edits.

Hrm? I really, really doubt that.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One Piece.

I doubt it too, but I mean....4kids did entirely remove Laboon, so to make him an important point is a giant flaming middle finger to the edits, if he wanted it to be.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One Piece.

I said pretend. Let me live in my dream world.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey, the Bokurano manga's finally over.

Can't say I'm too surprised by the ending.

Rust on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One Piece 382:
    OH GOD WHY IS HE BACK?

At first I was all "wha?" and then it hit me like a freight train.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh hey, Eva 2.0 has been released theatrically.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Huzzah! First cosplay complete. Here's a shot of me carrying Honey (my hair grew less spikey as the day progressed). I'll see if I can get some of the entire group.

Flay on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My opinion of GitS is that the 1st series was better than the 2nd, and developed a more recognisable icon (The Laughing Man) than 2nd gig. Ironically the symbol of the laughing man became an icon of the our Net.

2nd gig I'm still kind of put off by. Their are some really good episodes in it, but Mumuro Oshii has touched it again, and therefore there is alot of staring, contemplating and general boringness. And then an entire self gratification philosophical rant in one episode that was no doubt penned by Oshii himself. As I say though their are good episodes in it, particularly around the middle and end parts where the origins of some of the characters are shown.

The entire series however is great. It's a massive improvement from the movies, it has good storylines and the characters are actually interesting instead of dry as dust. I would also say that voice acting was brilliant in both Japanese and English. The dubbing did extremely well.

Also angry Motoko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv-3lNbadJw

(Need a better video tbh).

But I don't like Oshii. Man can't direct out of a paper bag. Artistically both GitS 1 and 2 movie wise were fantastic. Storyline and characters are instantly forgettable.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »
    My opinion of GitS is that the 1st series was better than the 2nd, and developed a more recognisable icon (The Laughing Man) than 2nd gig. Ironically the symbol of the laughing man became an icon of the our Net.

2nd gig I'm still kind of put off by. Their are some really good episodes in it, but Mumuro Oshii has touched it again, and therefore there is alot of staring, contemplating and general boringness. And then an entire self gratification philosophical rant in one episode that was no doubt penned by Oshii himself. As I say though their are good episodes in it, particularly around the middle and end parts where the origins of some of the characters are shown.

The entire series however is great. It's a massive improvement from the movies, it has good storylines and the characters are actually interesting instead of dry as dust. I would also say that voice acting was brilliant in both Japanese and English. The dubbing did extremely well.

Also angry Motoko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv-3lNbadJw

(Need a better video tbh).

But I don't like Oshii. Man can't direct out of a paper bag. Artistically both GitS 1 and 2 movie wise were fantastic. Storyline and characters are instantly forgettable.
    I just saw Sky Crawlers, and it was pretty well directed, I thought.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    Hey, the Bokurano manga's finally over.

Can't say I'm too surprised by the ending.

Rocks fall, everybody dies?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I decided on a whim to finish Ouran. I just watched episode 18 and have started on 19, and I've gotta ask, what the fuck?! There's like a thousand screaming lesbians and octopi squirming around.

It is by far the weirdest thing I have ever seen on this show.

EDIT: Wait, hold up, did the Host Club just teleport? This episode is something else.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I decided on a whim to finish Ouran. I just watched episode 18 and have started on 19, and I've gotta ask, what the fuck?! There's like a thousand screaming lesbians and octopi squirming around.

EDIT: Wait, hold up, did the Host Club just teleport? This episode is something else.

That episode is very silly and pretty damn out of place.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »

See, I got to disagree with you here. Oshii has his weaknesses, but he's got plenty of strengths too. For the first Ghost in the Shell movie, he gave us Patlabor I and its sequel (both fantastic), Urusai Yatsura (some people like it), and he wrote Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, which is pretty much the only anime I'd willingly show to my mother that wasn't Doraemon. So, he's got some outstanding shit with the mediocre stuff.

Plus, I personally think one of Ghost in the Shell's big weaknesses was the character design, especially for the Major. Seriously, when you go from this to this, you're taking some serious goddamn liberties. Plus, whoever thought it would be good to have being naked a prerequisite for thermoptic camoflage needs to feel bad.

But yes, I definitely agree with the idea for the series being a big step up from the movie, as far as Ghost in the Shell is concerned. Couldn't find a better youtube clip of the whole fight, unfortunately.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Am I wrong for wishing the rest of the series was as silly as this episode?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The series is already pretty damn silly at times. Perhaps best to leave well enough alone.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shin Mazinger #12:

I hope they don't remove the steam from that scene in the DVDs. You'll know the one I'm talking about D:

I'm really interested to see the new arc that's starting up.

bisondollars on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

The series is already pretty damn silly at times. Perhaps best to leave well enough alone.

I know, but this episode just seemed to delve into the depths of insanity.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MidnightSG wrote: »
    Naruto:

Yeah, that happens a lot to female characters in Shonen. Bleach is pretty bad about it, too. Least Temari is still cool. I'm a ShikaxTemari shipper, naturally. Kishimoto better make sure they're together at the end of the series, or there'll be hell to pay.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
This discussion has been closed.