As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games that Suck - UNpopular games that you loved, for some unholy reason

18910111214»

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    One game that quite a few people seem to not like was Jedi Academy. Aparently it wasn't as good as playing as kyle katarn, the story was weak and it the levels lacked cohesion (also, deathpits and snipers). This was the first real star wars game I played (discounting Episode 1 and podracing on pc, which I both loved, but nevermind), so I loved it to death. I would still play it if the disk hadn't gotten scratched.

Mods were quite good also.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Motherfucking Jedi Power battles. Played the shit out of that when I was kid. Had some good times with me and my dad kicking droid ass fucking everywhere.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Lalabox wrote: »
    One game that quite a few people seem to not like was Jedi Academy. Aparently it wasn't as good as playing as kyle katarn, the story was weak and it the levels lacked cohesion (also, deathpits and snipers). This was the first real star wars game I played (discounting Episode 1 and podracing on pc, which I both loved, but nevermind), so I loved it to death. I would still play it if the disk hadn't gotten scratched.

Mods were quite good also.

Jedi Academy really was the best game of the Jedi Knight games. While Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight 2 were good, Jedi Academy has the most consistently good level design and offers much more opportunity for saber fighting as well as more variety in the different saber styles.

Also, yes, the lack of deathpits and snipers. There are honestly only a couple levels in JK2 where there isn't at least one deathpit and the snipers are terrible and tend to fill the levels they're in so that the levels can be filled with deathpits and snipers. Also, the shooting segments are just terrible. The first Jedi Knight just hasn't aged well at all.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    The game was great right up to the point where they gave you the cool new lightsabers and then let an intern design all the levels.

Tube on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Crimson Sea. I don't know what about it, but I loved that game. Though the love story in it was the worst I've ever come across. I think they shared a total of ten words between each other before "I can't live without you!"

Docshifty on
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Legacy of the Wizard for the NES.

I don't know why, but somewhere around once a year I dig out this game and dive into it again. I play it for hours and hours but never get anywhere because I can't figure out where I am at any given time, much less what to do. And yet... I keep playing. Then I stop.

Then, some months later, the cycle repeats. I've never beaten the game. Hell I dont think I've even ever gotten one of the 'crowns' Ive heard you are supposed to get. Hell, the only thing I am good at is falling. Yet, I can't stop.

APODionysus on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I don't know why, but somewhere around once a year I dig out this game and dive into it again. I play it for hours and hours but never get anywhere because I can't figure out where I am at any given time, much less what to do. And yet... I keep playing. Then I stop.

Then, some months later, the cycle repeats. I've never beaten the game. Hell I dont think I've even ever gotten one of the 'crowns' Ive heard you are supposed to get. Hell, the only thing I am good at is falling. Yet, I can't stop.

Just go get a guide. I swear that game is horribly unplayable without one.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    ColonCancerColonCancer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ps2_ps_fire_warrior.jpg

Yeah, I liked it. No, I didn't finish it. But I did try to, at least.

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    prismeclipserprismeclipser Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am currently playing and deeply enjoying Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure. This is a bad game, make no mistake about it. So far I've had it so the camera was upside down, glitched through walls, been stuck in an attacking animation for an hour, and general suckiness, like your guys will just stop moving for no reason or the creatures you're attacking just despawn at half health so you can't eat them for health. The environment is bland as hell too, and since what you're doing is going from portal to portal unlocking new monsters, you get lost easily.

I still love it though. I love ocean based games and there's so few of them that I'll take what I can get. It's just so fun to swim around and leap out of the water even if half the time I hit a tree and die.

prismeclipser on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really liked T.R.A.G. on PS 1 :(

Also Cybernator on SNES. It was the first anime giant robot smashing game I'd ever played though.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

No kidding. I love the game too but it's so "here's some shit, good luck!"

urahonky on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I dunno if these applied but I loved and played to exhaustion Mission Impossible and Shadows of the Empire on the N64. Also, Rebellion on the PC, but I suppose this one has some following around here.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Shadows of the Empire was good times.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    kedinik wrote: »

Hahaha. I actually picked that up about 6 months ago to go back through.

I'm fairly sure I beat it when it first came out, but it's a lot harder than I remember.

"Oh, here, how about a fight with an AT-ST?" or "Do some pitch-perfect jumps over a bottomless pit".

And then there's the fact that you die in roughly 2 shots, which is fine, it fits the universe, but holy shit.

Tamin on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tamin wrote: »

I'm fairly sure I beat it when it first came out, but it's a lot harder than I remember.

"Oh, here, how about a fight with an AT-ST?" or "Do some pitch-perfect jumps over a bottomless pit".

And then there's the fact that you die in roughly 2 shots, which is fine, it fits the universe, but holy shit.

Man IG-88 was haaard!

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

I highly recommend watching this LP of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha2W_zsEJoM&feature=PlayList&p=B848212CA9F6F247&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FoxtailFoxtail Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How about Mystical Ninja starring Goemon? The first N64 game?

I played the SHIT out of that game for two days while I rented it. Awesome. Still didn't finish it. Then I bought it a few years later on ebay....

...stil didn't finish it.

Foxtail on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Man what.

You can't highly recommend anything from Deceased Crab. He is terrible.

Like a terrible game that you like.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Foxtail wrote: »
    How about Mystical Ninja starring Goemon? The first N64 game?

I played the SHIT out of that game for two days while I rented it. Awesome. Still didn't finish it. Then I bought it a few years later on ebay....

...stil didn't finish it.

That game is universally awesome. It is an absolute masterpiece of puns in videogaming.

PLASMA!!!!!

You should finish it. It might be hard to go back to, but it's beatable in like 4 hours, and the music is still amazing.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    4 hours? The first Mystical Ninja? I don't think so. But what the hell, that game is awesome and not UNpopular.

Noray on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mystical Ninja was fantastic, I'd kill a man to have it released on the Virtual Console or something.

I AM IMPACT!

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Noray wrote: »
    4 hours? The first Mystical Ninja? I don't think so. But what the hell, that game is awesome and not UNpopular.

Maybe I'm exaggerating, it's been a while. But the game isn't very long. I've beaten it like 6 times, and it doesn't take more than an afternoon of playing; it's not like it's very complicated or difficult.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Mystical Ninja was fantastic, I'd kill a man to have it released on the Virtual Console or something.

I AM IMPACT!

DASH DASH DASH!!

urahonky on
  • Options
    StopAndSwishStopAndSwish Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ps2_ps_fire_warrior.jpg

Oh i tried too. I Really wanted to like it, but the developers did everything possible to piss me off and make me quit the game halfway.

StopAndSwish on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Just like life, dude. Only with more awesome and magic. Love that game.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Did anyone else use anyone other than the indian girl? Seriously, she was the only one worth anything in that game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Oh god, I loved that game as a kid! I prolly played through it as many times as I did Ocarina.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Akatsuki wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

Man IG-88 was haaard!

Anytime I think about how much I loved that game, IG-88 comes to mind, as he was probably one of the toughest bosses I have fought of any game.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought Shadows of the Empire was a well-received game. Shit, it had so much cool shit in it, I assumed everyone liked it.

I fucking loved Endless Ocean. Such a fun, relaxing game. So much to see and do.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Eye of the Beholder for GBA which I liked despite it being absolutely terrible in most regards

Also, Turok: Rage Wars, which is also abominable.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Turok Rage Wars was fucking awesome... On single player. There was a MAJOR bug in the co-op that stopped you from being able to finish a level. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yea, one of the boss battles, so you could never win...

Oh well, it was awesome and me and friends plugged way too many hours into it. I am trying to remember which weapons were hilariously overpowered.

I remember some hilarious glitches would come up with infinite ammo with the miniguns secondary fire, such as it never allowing your "special power" thing you could pick up to run out.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ps2_ps_fire_warrior.jpg

Oh i tried too. I Really wanted to like it, but the developers did everything possible to piss me off and make me quit the game halfway.

That game was honestly very bad.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ColonCancerColonCancer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    ps2_ps_fire_warrior.jpg

That game was honestly very bad.

I know, I realized how horrible it was later on by watching videos on YouTube.

...But I always want to go back to it D:

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Machismo wrote: »
    I thought Shadows of the Empire was a well-received game. Shit, it had so much cool shit in it, I assumed everyone liked it.

Most people just remember it for the Hoth mission.

I distinctly remember beating this game without cheats one time, but looking back I have no idea how I managed it (just like when I try replaying Rouge Squadron and think "how did I ever manage to get all the gold medals in this game?!").

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    Machismo wrote: »

Most people just remember it for the Hoth mission.

I distinctly remember beating this game without cheats one time, but looking back I have no idea how I managed it (just like when I try replaying Rouge Squadron and think "how did I ever manage to get all the gold medals in this game?!").
    I remember playing and beating Shadows of the Empire. I remember enjoying the hell out of it at the time. I have absolutely no memory of how easy or hard it was to play.

Did... Did that game do something to me?

Monger on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MX Superfly and I spent many a night together, racing and doing stunts. But perhaps it wasn't unpopular because of its quality, which still was rather poor, perhaps it was just unpopular because it was a game about racing motocross bikes.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    StormwaltzStormwaltz Beyond the Perseus VeilRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    *tiptoes out of the Mass Effect thread*

I have an abiding love for Empire II: The Art of War (1995), the virtually unknown (and unloved when known) sequel to the classic Empire. E2 played nothing like Empire. Existing fans gave it a "WTH?" and new fans didn't appear.

E2 was a simple turn-based tactical game that offered PBEM and network play with I-go-you-go and simultaneous execution -- a play mechanic Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord (2000) was lavishly praised for, but released five years earlier. It included a full editor that allowed you to build maps, define units, and cobble the two together into scenarios. It even came with a simple bitmap editor to design your own unit icons.

I played the hell out of this game for five years. At one point, I even hosted a website where you could download scenarios. A memorable one by Jean-Claude Bésida recreated the entire invasion of France and the Low Countries with a 90x64 map, 32-hour turns, and 488 units. I built a number of science fiction scenarios myself, on scales ranging from 1 unit = 1 man to 1 unit = 1 division.

Stormwaltz on