Options

Games that Suck - UNpopular games that you loved, for some unholy reason

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hypernetic wrote: »
    Yeah, I loved Advent Rising too. I can't remember now, but was AR considered a bad game by most people or did it just have poor sales numbers? Advent Rising seems to come up a lot in these type of threads.

Anyone remember that million dollar contest thing they had, but then never gave anyone the money? lol.
    It just sold so poorly they canceled the rest. It's a real shame the next games would of been so cool as you got stronger and stronger.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hypernetic wrote: »
    Yeah, I loved Advent Rising too. I can't remember now, but was AR considered a bad game by most people or did it just have poor sales numbers? Advent Rising seems to come up a lot in these type of threads.

Anyone remember that million dollar contest thing they had, but then never gave anyone the money? lol.
    It just sold so poorly they canceled the rest. It's a real shame the next games would of been so cool as you got stronger and stronger.

It also got pretty well slammed in the reviews because of the framerate and buggy controls. The controls I never had an issue with though... the main culprit was the Lift power, which would let you lock onto an object and fling it at enemies (as well as throwing enemies around too). Frequently, the object would break, but your view would stay locked on to the empty space the object last occupied, and get stuck there. But hey, the power just wasn't fun anyway... I'd rather teleport-punch aliens, or shoot them with mind bullets.

Still, the story was good, with great voice acting, and an excellent musical score. And fun. Lots of that.

About the contest, they also had a ton of problems with it. Some of us downloaded the icons, found them, then had the game crash. Others the download didn't apply the icon. Still others couldn't download the patch at all. It was a total clusterfuck, and I'm willing to bet that Majesco wasn't the only company to blame it on.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It also got pretty well slammed in the reviews because of the framerate and buggy controls. The controls I never had an issue with though... the main culprit was the Lift power, which would let you lock onto an object and fling it at enemies (as well as throwing enemies around too). Frequently, the object would break, but your view would stay locked on to the empty space the object last occupied, and get stuck there. But hey, the power just wasn't fun anyway... I'd rather teleport-punch aliens, or shoot them with mind bullets.

I never had that problem with the PC version, but I did have other slightly annoying things like framerate issues, enemies falling through walls, or occasional crashes (these happened at save points, so I never raged).

Multi-lift was awesome, though. It was the single fastest way to get rid of a squad. I just grabbed them up, and tossed them out the nearest window.

Skexis on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do games no one's heard of count?

Foto+Hard+Hitter+Tennis.jpg

Picked this up in the bargain bin about five or six years ago. I was pretty dismayed that I couldn't find Sega Sports Tennis, so I went for the cheap $15 substitute. It's not a great tennis game by any means, but I played the living shit out of this.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every once in a while, a thread comes around wherein I must reaffirm how thoroughly I enjoyed FFX-2. That would be this one.

Granted, the game actually has a decent fanbase in this forum, particularly for the battle system, but that's just because this forum is more enlightened than most. I'd get laughed out of town for suggesting FFX-2 was good almost anywhere else.

Oh, and how about Magna Carta? I thought it was fun. Not without its flaws by any means, but I never felt any desire to abandon it.

cheez on
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    250px-Yoshi's_Story_boxart.jpg

Yoshi's Story is my pick, critics didn't seem to like it but I really loved it. Apparently the major complaint was that it was too easy? Either way I thought the atmosphere and level design were great and I still go back to it on occasion for some nostalgia. It's one of my favorites on the N64.

Babble on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Final Fantasy X-2 is fantastic in every aspect but story and I will fight anyone who says differently.

Sure, the whole "hold down Circle to be Yuna Raider" thing in the overworld was pretty shallow, but at the same time I thought it made it more engaging then just running everywhere.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    More rpgs need to make use of battle system similar to what X-2 has.

Its a ton of fun.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked the original Siren for its storytelling mechanics, but I'm pretty certain its gameplay qualifies as a war crime.

Rust on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every time a new Dynasty Warriors comes out, I play it for goddamn ever, often co-op with friends.

Mainly: DW3, DW4, DW5, DW5:Tactics, DW6, and Warriors Orochi 1&2. For DW4 I think, I used to post on the GameFAQs board, which was pretty decent actually, where people would play through trying to get high scores on a certain level and post their results in competitions. It was pretty fun, a good bunch of people.

DW6:Tactics just came out, I yearn

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You know---what's weird I've never really gotten into the DW games but I friggin love Samurai Warriors 1 & 2 and Warriors Orochi.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haha, I never really got into SW, though I did love a lot of the characters when I played them in Warriors Orochi

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every time a new Dynasty Warriors comes out, I play it for goddamn ever, often co-op with friends.

Mainly: DW3, DW4, DW5, DW5:Tactics, DW6, and Warriors Orochi 1&2. For DW4 I think, I used to post on the GameFAQs board, which was pretty decent actually, where people would play through trying to get high scores on a certain level and post their results in competitions. It was pretty fun, a good bunch of people.

You'd probably be able to give me a better opinion then anyone else from the looks of it, how were the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam games? Dynasty Warriors isn't my favorite style of gameplay, but gundams almost sell me on it.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I really loved Enter the Matrix on the Gamecube. In my defense, I didn't encounter ANY of the bugs I later read about, and the game did get bad or boring enough towards the end that I didn't finish it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Advent Rising was the fucking bomb on PC. It fixed nearly all of the bugs and graphic issues. I'm still pissed as hell they're not finishing that trilogy.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think one thing I liked about Samurai Warriors is that even if you don't know Japanese history, a lot of the characters in the game get referenced in various videogames and TV shows so there were a lot of vaguely familiar names there.

Goemon has a videogame series, of course---and I know of Nobunaga not just through the game series that has his name in it, but because of Onimusha.

I also didn't really like Dynasty Warriors: Gundam.

edit: and to expand on this since someone asked, the end bosses seem especially annoying for some reason and the very last boss for the one guy I got all the way to the end with I found to be really, really irritating. I can't remember why, but I got so frustrated with it I broke the case (but not the game).

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    BLUE STINGER

11-1.jpg

A THOUSAND TIMES BLUE STINGER. I love this game. With an unreal amount of love. I have no idea why. I bought it for myself in 1999 around Christmas time, used at an EBGames. I played the fuck out of it. I think I've actually only beaten it twice, but Ive started it and loved every damn second at least 20 times.

It scratches every itch I love. A sci-fi plot thats kinda interesting in that "this shit is crazy" way. Blatantly horrible voice acting that at the same time is so appealing to me. I love the look of it, honestly. The colors and graphics.

The BLATANT, INSANE, OVER THE TOP sexism. "Holy shit...a woman!" The swearing for no reason.

The cross promotion with Pen Pen Tricelon for NO DAMN REASON.

WEARING A SANTA SUIT.

I actually got a japaneese Blue Stinger poster on EBay and am getting it framed for that "Im a nerd...but I am professional enough to have a nice way of displaying it!" look in my 'den' area. I also named my band in Rock Band "Large Hassy".

I am playing this again when I get home.

I think for me, the Deus Ex rule may apply to Blue Stinger. Really want to find my missing dreamcast cables, and play some Blue Stinger now. Definitely agree with this one. I got this and Sonic Adventure, with my Dreamcast on day one. Good times.

While on the topic of Dreamcast. Sonic Shuffle would get my vote. Maybe it's just been a long time, and I'd hate it now. But i had a blast playing this with friends, though it was quite a love it or hate game with our group.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

You'd probably be able to give me a better opinion then anyone else from the looks of it, how were the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam games? Dynasty Warriors isn't my favorite style of gameplay, but gundams almost sell me on it.

Loving the DW series, and giant robots, you'd think I would have played them more, but I really haven't spent much time with them. DW:G2 is definitely better than the first one though.

From what I've played, it's a neat break from the standard DW games, having cool laser attacks and such, and boosting around in DW:G2 is very convenient. I've never actually seen the original Mobile Suit Gundam, so I enjoyed learning the general story as I played through Amuro's and Char's story modes.

It did seem to lack... something that the standard DW games have. I don't know what though. I wish there were more Gundams. There's a modest selection, but there's basically 3 tiers of suits: the Main Character suits, which have full movesets, Special suits that have not quite full move sets, and grunts, which have small movesets. Most of the selection is older Gundam stuff.

So, basically, it's a fun new coat of paint over the same general hack and slash, and probably more fun than most Gundam games.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think one thing going against DW: Gundam is that since everyone is in a Gundam, they're not going to feel as distinct as some of the DW/SW characters do. I mean, yes, a lot of the characters are fairly similar, but someone like Hanzo Hattori is going to play way differently than say, Nobunaga.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I think one thing I liked about Samurai Warriors is that even if you don't know Japanese history, a lot of the characters in the game get referenced in various videogames and TV shows so there were a lot of vaguely familiar names there.

Goemon has a videogame series, of course---and I know of Nobunaga not just through the game series that has his name in it, but because of Onimusha.

I also didn't really like Dynasty Warriors: Gundam.

edit: and to expand on this since someone asked, the end bosses seem especially annoying for some reason and the very last boss for the one guy I got all the way to the end with I found to be really, really irritating. I can't remember why, but I got so frustrated with it I broke the case (but not the game).

Yeah, but it fails because it has an inferior version of Date Masamune.

P.S. he is the man with six swords and a flying horse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e1WmhJ1BFY&feature=related

I'll probably pick up a used copy of Devil Kings just for him. :!:

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And the real kicker is that Masamune is probably the worst character gameplay-wise.

I say this of a guy who by the end of his development can fire Hadokens and sextuple-wield Alastor from Devil May Cry.

Rust on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think one thing going against DW: Gundam is that since everyone is in a Gundam, they're not going to feel as distinct as some of the DW/SW characters do. I mean, yes, a lot of the characters are fairly similar, but someone like Hanzo Hattori is going to play way differently than say, Nobunaga.

That goes double when you have a lot of the robots that essentially have the same moves.

That you fight over and over again. Sometimes in the same level. (Arrgh, Purus!)

However, I enjoyed DW: Gundam a lot, and I'm another one of the DW/SW/WO lovers. You basically go in knowing what you're in store for albeit changed a bit, so if you like that, then go for it. Can't wait to pick up DW: G2 and DW6: E sometime down the road.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I really loved Masamune in SW 1 though for how ballsy he was. His strategy was to step into a two army fight and attack both.

Edit: Another thing I love about SW is that it's really insane to imagine equivalent American historical figures in a game like this, which is part of what makes the series so crazy----important historical figures killing lots and lots of mans.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    And the real kicker is that Masamune is probably the worst character gameplay-wise.

I say this of a guy who by the end of his development can fire Hadokens and sextuple-wield Alastor from Devil May Cry.

ALL LIES.

Seriously though, it's a shame Devil Kings never hit it off in the States. I can see why it's not a 8.0+ game, but at least its original in its presentation. I'm willing to overlook the flaws in a game if it delivers a unique experience, or reality shattering amounts of ass kicking.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I really do need to play Devil Kings. Given that I know the characters already from SW I can imagine getting a kick out of it just for that reason.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

ALL LIES.

Seriously though, it's a shame Devil Kings never hit it off in the States. I can see why it's not a 8.0+ game, but at least its original in its presentation. I'm willing to overlook the flaws in a game if it delivers a unique experience, or reality shattering amounts of ass kicking.

Look he's awesome and all but he still can't compete with Nobunaga's wife and her personal kill-sat and minigun, or Tadakatsu Honda redesigned as a Gundam.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

ALL LIES.

Wasn't the reason Devil Kings never hit it off because it was a completely different (in a manner of speaking) game than the original? Pretty sure I read somewhere that Devil Kings and Sengoku Basara are pretty much radically different games. Or am I just remembering it wrong? (Completely possible.)

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quest 64.

It was honestly terrible. But I'd still play it today if I could find a copy. It just had something.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rainbow Islands

One of my absolute favorite NES games.

Apparently the NES version is the "shitty" version and I didn't find out about this until the Internet age.

Didn't stop me from having an absolute blast with it when I was younger.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I loved the No Hotlinking Game! :)

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

ALL LIES.

Wasn't the reason Devil Kings never hit it off because it was a completely different (in a manner of speaking) game than the original? Pretty sure I read somewhere that Devil Kings and Sengoku Basara are pretty much radically different games. Or am I just remembering it wrong? (Completely possible.)

They changed the names, axed some of the cooler characters and apparently redesigned some of the settings to make them look more "evil," because they were afraid that a game too Asian would scare off customers.

This was released somewhere around Dynasty Warriors' fifth installment, mind. Capcom are retards in lots of areas.

That said, Xavier's dub voice alone almost makes up for all the localization nonsense.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Goddammit.

Is there seriously a goddamn way to tell if an image is okay to hotlink or not before posting?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Goddammit.

Is there seriously a goddamn way to tell if an image is okay to hotlink or not before posting?

I would guess clicking preview post might show it. Don't really know though.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Goddammit.

I would guess clicking preview post might show it. Don't really know though.

It would still be in your cache. Shift + refresh (or whatever your browser uses) should work as that causes a reload. Otherwise you can delete your cache and hit reload.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited June 2009

ALL LIES.

They changed the names, axed some of the cooler characters and apparently redesigned some of the settings to make them look more "evil," because they were afraid that a game too Asian would scare off customers.

This was released somewhere around Dynasty Warriors' fifth installment, mind. Capcom are retards in lots of areas.

That said, Xavier's dub voice alone almost makes up for all the localization nonsense.

I'm still in a kind of giddy shock they turned Francis freaking Xavier into a duel cannon wielding Rambo who fights for everlasting PEACE AND LOVE. That's like turning Mother Teresa into Gloria from DMC4. It's.... wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q2E8dnj9zk&feature=related

He needs to be in Season 2 of the new Sengoku Basara show.

But to answer the previous question, bad advertising, bad localization (although the voice acting was very good), and it was seen as just another Dynasty Warriors clone (which it was).

Still, style counts for something in my book.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

ALL LIES.

Ahh, makes sense. So it's not -as- drastic as I was thinking, but that does sound a little odd. I played Devil Kings and have no way of playing Basara so I just didn't know. Ah well, I wouldn't mind Devil Kings 2, as a little competition never hurt anybody. I just hope at some points SW includes Otani Yoshitsugu for giggles at some point. He would be best character. (Go ahead and wiki him and imagine the gimmick.)

Anyways, getting back on topic, I thought of another game I enjoyed that seems to be hated. (Comic about it in spoilers)
    20030808h.gif

I won't say it's a good game, or even a memorable one, but I played the shit out of it for a bit after getting it for cheap. And when I came across that comic, I could only wonder why they thought it was that bad. Haven't played it in a while, though.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Quest 64.

It was honestly terrible. But I'd still play it today if I could find a copy. It just had something.
    You are a sick fucking person. I remember being in a giant ICE TUNNEL that looked the same the whole way through. Somehow I got disoriented after a battle and ended up at the entrance again. I turned the game off and was happy to return it to Blockbuster.

That's without going into the grinding, dumbed-down cities or empty plot. Then again, it did have that nostalgic mystique those simple games of the new 3D era had.

But seriously: fucking game was (is) evil.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Quest 64.

You are a sick fucking person. I remember being in a giant ICE TUNNEL that looked the same the whole way through. Somehow I got disoriented after a battle and ended up at the entrance again. I turned the game off and was happy to return it to Blockbuster.

That's without going into the grinding, dumbed-down cities or empty plot. Then again, it did have that nostalgic mystique those simple games of the new 3D era had.

I think that's why I loved it. I don't remember ( I was probably ten or so) but I probably had an elaborate story for the character to fill in what the game left off. I didn't care that it abused me. I liked it.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Quest 64.

I think that's why I loved it. I don't remember ( I was probably ten or so) but I probably had an elaborate story for the character to fill in what the game left off. I didn't care that it abused me. I liked it.
    So the RPGs on the N64 were similar to domestic abuse. You should have grabbed Paper Mario and prevented the trauma!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Though I believe it is not as unpopular as it once was, The Legend of Dragoon is my pick for this thread. There's something whimsical in there. And there should be a sequel, goddamnit.

e: ps. oh man, the voice acting was so bad. like not good.

kitch on